IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 40: Acting Like Everything Is Normal in the Middle of a Pandemic

Coconut Flan

Is the girls Christmas party being discussed anywhere? I was wondering who the girl in the middle next to Jana and Michelle was? I’ve seen her before but have no idea who she is. 

12 minutes ago, Ever said:

Is the girls Christmas party being discussed anywhere? I was wondering who the girl in the middle next to Jana and Michelle was? I’ve seen her before but have no idea who she is. 

That's Faith Seewald, Ben's youngest sister.

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Ever said:

Being discussed in the Joy thread. 

Seeing their Christmas party photos makes me so furious. I haven't gotten a haircut, seen a movie, gone on a date, hung out with friends, etc since February and these idiots are posting pictures of a freaking party like everything is normal. And they're blocking and deleting almost all of their negative comments so it looks like all of their followers support their actions!

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Seeing their Christmas party photos makes me so furious. I haven't gotten a haircut, seen a movie, gone on a date, hung out with friends, etc since February and these idiots are posting pictures of a freaking party like everything is normal. And they're blocking and deleting almost all of their negative comments so it looks like all of their followers support their actions!

And it just makes me furious as well! Thank you!!!

Another thing that drives me bonkers are the people who are refusing to get the vaccine because....whatever dumb thing they think.  Yes, I said "dumb". I don't want to be responsible for them not getting the virus. I want to not get the virus and I want THEM to get the damn vaccine. Why is this so hard??? Grrrr.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

I wish the media (mainstream and tabloid), bloggers/vloggers, etc. would rip these smug, selfish assholes a new one for their selfishness and disregard for human life. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I wish the media (mainstream and tabloid), bloggers/vloggers, etc. would rip these smug, selfish assholes a new one for their selfishness and disregard for human life. 

I am puzzled as to why the media hasn't done so yet.  I could totally see their unmasked superspreader photos in some type of newspaper with the caption "Pandemic?  What pandemic?"  underneath.   

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, Lynn18 said:

And it just makes me furious as well! Thank you!!!

Another thing that drives me bonkers are the people who are refusing to get the vaccine because....whatever dumb thing they think.  Yes, I said "dumb". I don't want to be responsible for them not getting the virus. I want to not get the virus and I want THEM to get the damn vaccine. Why is this so hard??? Grrrr.

I had quite the disturbing phone call with my mother a few days back. She told me vehemently that she won't get the vaccine. I'm more  than puzzled. She is a medical professional (medical-technical-assistant) and generally a really educated women. Yet she distrusts the vaccine, because it was developed too quickly and out of despair (her words, not mine). I don't know how to deal with this and feel kind of desperate.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

@ophelia Try calming her worries by explaining that the vaccine wasn’t quick due to despair. It was quick because it was a result of the best of humanity: cooperation, science and personal sacrifice towards a common benefit for human kind. the issue that slows most medications getting approval is it takes usually years to get enough people to volunteer for the Phase I and Phase II trials to reach a relevant sample size required. For this vaccine THOUSANDS of people from many different countries volunteered to risk their personal safety for Phase I, II & III. That’s why it was ready so quickly. It’s an inspirational story of hope triumphant, not a cautionary tale of desperate long shot. 

• Upvote 25
  • Love 18

10 hours ago, ophelia said:

I had quite the disturbing phone call with my mother a few days back. She told me vehemently that she won't get the vaccine. I'm more  than puzzled. She is a medical professional (medical-technical-assistant) and generally a really educated women. Yet she distrusts the vaccine, because it was developed too quickly and out of despair (her words, not mine). I don't know how to deal with this and feel kind of desperate.

In the mean time, my MIL is complaining that she's not among the first group of people to get the vaccine (she's 69 and has asthma, but obviously there are a lot of even older, even sicker people). I do understand that she's scared, but she also feels that Germany should get more doses because "the vaccine was developed by Germans". *eyeroll* Never mind that those same Germans who helped develop it would normally count as "Turks" in her book. Ugh.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 5

Lydia Patton posted this to her stories of some big event in Oklahoma (a wedding maybe?). Looks like the Duggars and Tyler in the pic to me. 

717E462B-05D9-40D5-81F5-8F41931BDE52.png

Edited by artdecades
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 11

Since I obviously don't have anything better to do, I followed a few leads. 

I remembered that Ma Spivey posted on IG about a visit from a family they are friends with (the Wikstroms - sounds swedish, btw), where the daughter was about to get married (really soon). Ma Spivey mentioned that her name is Grace. I googled and found a wedding registry for Grace Wikstrom, who supposedly got married yesterday to Kord Etbauer. She has an open IG (miss._gracie)(yes, a dot and underscore), but no info there about a wedding yet. Several duggar related people follow her: Joy, Laura DeMasie, the Caldwell family, among others. 

Then I checked Kord's IG. Also public, and followed by people like Jed and James Duggar). His insta-story has pictures of the wedding. On the way out from the church they are passing by a couple that look very much like the Caldwells. It's very, very likely that the Duggars were there as well. 

And: Yes, of course there were a lot of people, with no masks or social/physical distancing in sight.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 19

Did I mention that I obviously don't have anything better to do right now than stalking fundies? 

There's a public livestream from the wedding on Kord's FB-page. The audience is filmed several times. JB/M are there with the unmarried kids (can't spot Jana, but I think all the others are there). The Caldwells are also there, with Laura (no Titus), Joe&Kendra and all of the younger kids. Lots of people in the small church. The groom is wearing jeans and a cowboy hat. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 7

@xenobia you rock!!! I definitely recognize those names from IG. 

Is it just me or is his wedding cowboy hat excessive? Like, I am not a cowboy hat person to begin with but his hat seems ultra large. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

@ophelia would it help her to know another reason why it isn’t ‘rushed’?

This is a modified SARS vaccine - one which has been available (and safe) for many years. Of course, modifying it has opened up the possibility of interactions and reactions but it wasn’t developed from scratch. Much of the groundwork had been done previously. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

20 minutes ago, artdecades said:

@xenobia you rock!!! I definitely recognize those names from IG. 

Is it just me or is his wedding cowboy hat excessive? Like, I am not a cowboy hat person to begin with but his hat seems ultra large. 

Thanks - I had fun putting the pieces together :) 

I didn't care much for the cowboy hat either, but I had more problems with the jeans. You can get married in anything you like, but it looked a bit weird with the bride in a classic wedding dress and the groom in jeans. Don't think that JB&M would have approved of a new son-in-law wearing jeans at the wedding....

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 3

The quick look made it look like another mangled wedding gown "made modest" rather obviously.  The best thing I can say about the cowboy hat is that it helped hide the kiss.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Cringiest part of this wedding:

No masks on anyone but the groom’s grandparents. 

2nd cringiest part:

The bride and groom praying on a random log in the church with their parents. Like who says, “I know! In the middle of the ceremony, let’s have our parents come up on stage and do some awkward log praying!”

Ever since I saw that part of the ceremony, the Ren and Stimpy song keeps playing in my head. “It’s log! It’s log! It’s big it’s heavy it wood! It’s log! It’s log! It’s better than bad it’s good!”

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I looked at Kord’s Instagram. The volume of dead animals was gross. (Sorry, hunters.)

I get it. I can understand the hunting for meat, but it does make me feel awkward seeing people posing with dead animals.  I am not vegetarian and understand how things go... I really have a hard time understanding why it’s something to boast about - taking a life.  Gross is how I describe my feeling on it too.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

23 hours ago, ophelia said:

4 hours ago, adidas said:

@ophelia would it help her to know another reason why it isn’t ‘rushed’?

This is a modified SARS vaccine - one which has been available (and safe) for many years. Of course, modifying it has opened up the possibility of interactions and reactions but it wasn’t developed from scratch. Much of the groundwork had been done previously. 

I think it is definitely important to give her the feeling that her worries are not just stupid or unreasonable. This type of vaccine, while based on an already tried and tested ones is unique in its form. It will be the first mRNA vaccine available- at least in my country. And there is no way around to admit that is hasn’t been tried and tested after the normal regulations that are set up for those cases. And those regulations are there for very good reasons. Of course there could be unforeseen effects, even pretty bad ones. And it might take a while to catch them, as with mostly old people getting it first, you won’t get that big of a group showing effects after 5+ years. That’s why I think calling it rushed is definitely ok.
I find it wrong to gloss over it, because those informations are out there and for everyone to find. I think it’s more important to put them into context. Yes, it’s the first mRNA vaccine but science has been working on those types of vaccines for many many years now. It’s not new in that regard. Big Pharma also never does things out of the good of their heart. But that doesn’t mean their products are bad. It’s actually a pretty well working symbiosis. 
Sometimes we have to do a leap of faith or rush things to be successful. Maybe she will not be one of the first people that get it (not all medical personnel will be- at least here) and therefore has time to see that it really is ok, gets to know people that are fine. Latest numbers about immediate side effects are very promising. And the vaccines will still get the full trial, so at one point we hopefully have it on paper that is as safe as we wanted to believe, already with real life data. 
If she isn’t as crazy as believing this vaccine will change our DNA to prepare us for an Alien invasion that need us to breed she could still be reasoned with I guess (or whatever our Fundie nut jobs come up with). 
I will admit- I am not completely unhappy that my family will be at the very end of the line. My grandmothers will get it earlier but they are very old and we are lucky if we have more then 5 remaining years together. I will still take the jabs when it’s my turn.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

2nd cringiest part:

The bride and groom praying on a random log in the church with their parents. Like who says, “I know! In the middle of the ceremony, let’s have our parents come up on stage and do some awkward log praying!”

Ever since I saw that part of the ceremony, the Ren and Stimpy song keeps playing in my head. “It’s log! It’s log! It’s big it’s heavy it wood! It’s log! It’s log! It’s better than bad it’s good!”

Hey, it's not just any boring old log- it's Grace's prayer log!

(Prayer Logs- for girls without closets©)

Screenshot_20201221-003230.thumb.png.b50e0d82dc78667a1d9bccb57cfa3cb8.png

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 23
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

Hey, it's not just any boring old log- it's Grace's prayer log!

(Prayer Logs- for girls without closets©)

Screenshot_20201221-003230.thumb.png.b50e0d82dc78667a1d9bccb57cfa3cb8.png

OMG I’m dead. 
??☠️

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 19

Ok I’ve composed myself after learning about the prayer log. I really don’t like a groom wearing a cowboy hat. It obscures so much of his face. I like to be able to see a bride and groom’s face. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic