IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 40: Acting Like Everything Is Normal in the Middle of a Pandemic

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, aprilx said:

Can someone remind me of the girl supposedly dating jer whose name got written on a pumpkin at the fall festival?

Katey Nakatsu. Could be with Jed though. They haven’t publicized it yet.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7

2 hours ago, aprilx said:

Can someone remind me of the girl supposedly dating jer whose name got written on a pumpkin at the fall festival?

Katey newaska don’t quote me though. I’m only vaguely. Remembering myself lol

• Move Along 1
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, aprilx said:

Katie?

Sorry. I missed the other and better responses!

Edited by Not that josh's mom
  • Thank You 2

I’d send Jill and David Rodrigues back to Ireland in the 1840s. Just for a few months. I would NOT send their children.

Modest clothing, very strong societal emphasis on faith, and abortion was illegal. They’d love it! And they’d get to experience how their children feel all the time. Since they’re always boasting about their brilliance as parents, it’s the perfect opportunity for their to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Edited by adidas
Punctuation autocorrect
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 1

I watched an old episode of CO where JinJer went to Roswell and the interviewer asked Johannah if she believed in aliens, and she asked if that was a serious question, the thought of aliens was completely ridiculous to her. None of the Duggars interviewed believed in aliens. 

Is it a fundie thing to not believe in life on other planets? It’s definitely not a universal Christian thing. I am a Christian, I believe in a deity, but I also believe there is life on other planets. 

Why is it so unlikely for the Duggars to believe in life on other planets? What is the fundie reasoning behind this? 

• Upvote 9

51 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Why is it so unlikely for the Duggars to believe in life on other planets? What is the fundie reasoning behind this? 

They aren't mentioned in Genesis, so God didn't make them, so they don't exist. 

At least, that was the reason I was given for why aliens were impossible and anti-Biblical. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 4

54 minutes ago, Destiny said:

At least, that was the reason I was given for why aliens were impossible and anti-Biblical. 

Isn't the Bible about this planet and how it was formed./created?  Why would God go off on a ramble about the forty hundred other places he'd built when this was the one being talked about right now?  I mean, if I was talking about one of my children's birth, I wouldn't talk about everyone else's too.  Just that one.  That makes no logical sense. to me.   

Oh wait.  Logic.  I'm sorry.  

Edited by SweetLaurel
spelling
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 13

Typical. It’s very arrogant and entitled to think a deity is obligated or wants to tell us all their tricks and secrets.  We know need to be concerned right now about what worlds  they possibly created did 20,000 light years away. 

• Upvote 3

As an adult, I agree. Kid!me sort of thought it was weird and went back to playing, but that's definitely the explanation I got. Genesis says god created man and animals, not aliens, end of story. I vaguely remember the planets being discussed in the context of god creating the sun moon and stars, but not any life. Basically, adult!me thinks it has more to do with not wanting to admit evolution is a thing because if life on other planets exists, it probably had to evolve, and the Big Bang makes more sense as a way for life to exist on other planets than does creation. 

• Upvote 4

I remember reading about  the Nephilim. 

The Nephilim are mysterious beings or people mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. They are large and strong; the word Nephilim is loosely translated as giants in some Bibles but left untranslated in others. Some traditional Jewish explanations interpret them as fallen angels.

I always thought they could be aliens! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 8

19 hours ago, Destiny said:

I asked my mom if she believed there was life on other planets. She said no because of the above states reason. I then stated that the people who wrote the Bible wouldn't have known about them. She didn't like that very much. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

I hate that so many people seem to think it has to be you believe in the Bible and Jesus but can't believe in aliens. You can believe in aliens but can't believe in the Bible and Jesus. I have never understood that. I've always really be into astronomy. Once when I was talking to someone about Jupiter the person asked me if I was still a Christian. Ah, I don't recall ever declaring that I no longer was one. I didn't realize being into a Christian disqualified me from being into astromony. I'm both. I'm happy to believe in both. There's too many planets, moons and galaxies for me to ever believe there isn't life on other planets. If God created everything, then doesn't that mean He created all the planets, moons and galaxies?  If He can create one earth and one moon. Why can't He create more? It really doesn't seem that difficult. Maybe it was left out of the Bible or maybe its one of the fun mysteries to discover and for us to figure out. Like dinosaurs.  Like figuring out how to cure diseases.  Baseball wasn't in the Bible or football. Or a million other things.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I hate that so many people seem to think it has to be you believe in the Bible and Jesus but can't believe in aliens. You can believe in aliens but can't believe in the Bible and Jesus. I have never understood that. I've always really be into astronomy. Once when I was talking to someone about Jupiter the person asked me if I was still a Christian. Ah, I don't recall ever declaring that I no longer was one. I didn't realize being into a Christian disqualified me from being into astromony. I'm both. I'm happy to believe in both. There's too many planets, moons and galaxies for me to ever believe there isn't life on other planets. If God created everything, then doesn't that mean He created all the planets, moons and galaxies?  If He can create one earth and one moon. Why can't He create more? It really doesn't seem that difficult. Maybe it was left out of the Bible or maybe its one of the fun mysteries to discover and for us to figure out. Like dinosaurs.  Like figuring out how to cure diseases.  Baseball wasn't in the Bible or football. Or a million other things.

They probably didn’t know the difference between astronomy and astrology.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

The writers of the bible certainly did believe in aliens and life on other planets. They were in the books that was decided you werent allowed to read. Thank goodness for the Gnostics! Its like some weird acid trip, its great!

• Upvote 3

I checked and didn't see that anyone has posted this.  The "Babylon Bee," a Christian-themed satire site, weighed in on how the U.S. government stimulus checks being discussed right now would potentially affect the Duggars.

https://babylonbee.com/news/jim-bob-duggar-to-become-richest-man-alive-following-bidens-3000-per-child-stimulus

Edited by watchdog
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, watchdog said:

I checked and didn't see that anyone has posted this.  The "Babylon Bee," a Christian-themed satire site, weighed in on how the U.S. government stimulus checks being discussed right now would potentially affect the Duggars.

https://babylonbee.com/news/jim-bob-duggar-to-become-richest-man-alive-following-bidens-3000-per-child-stimulus

I have to say, what crossed my mind when I heard of the proposal was "Duggars are going to make bank on this stimulus!"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Jer is the latest Duggar male to get an Instagram account. I don’t know if this means courtship, business, politics or just he was feeling left out. I don’t think any of these boys are interesting enough to sustain a large following beyond die hard humpers.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jer is the latest Duggar male to get an Instagram account. I don’t know if this means courtship, business, politics or just he was feeling left out. I don’t think any of these boys are interesting enough to sustain a large following beyond die hard humpers.

He's actually had the account for several months. He just decided to post on it for the first time on Monday or Tuesday. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

He's actually had the account for several months. He just decided to post on it for the first time on Monday or Tuesday. ?

Yes, Jackson is the only boy without IG now.  James hasn’t posted either but his looks legit.

I wonder why he chose now to go live. Maybe they’ll be a Katey sighting at the Claritin spredding??

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Yes, Jackson is the only boy without IG now.  James hasn’t posted either but his looks legit.

I wonder why he chose now to go live. Maybe they’ll be a Katey sighting at the Claritin spredding??

Watch them seat her in between Jed and Jer just to mess with people since they haven't announced which one she's with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 3

On 2/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, JordynDarby5 said:

I agree 100%. I'm Christian and did astronomy/astrophysics research through most of undergrad with an advisor who was a Jesuit priest. I'll never forget the story my advisor told us of the time he was on an airplane and when the lady next to him learned he was a priest/professor/physicist she asked how he could live with himself. Sorry, but studying supernovae doesn't mean you can't also believe in Jesus.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, potato said:

I agree 100%. I'm Christian and did astronomy/astrophysics research through most of undergrad with an advisor who was a Jesuit priest. I'll never forget the story my advisor told us of the time he was on an airplane and when the lady next to him learned he was a priest/professor/physicist she asked how he could live with himself. Sorry, but studying supernovae doesn't mean you can't also believe in Jesus.

People forget, that for a long time members of the church where biggest literate group and that they actually made an effort to read and comment on scientific papers or the old philosophers. Many even tried to find way to align the philosophical rules of logic and the bible. Often enough by making very elaborate interpretations of the bible, sometimes even hinting at evolutionary ideas. I find it extremely interesting that all this happened and there still was the Inquisition, even at the same time (probably the reason I have a B. Ed in Philosophy and History). The RCC is fascinating in their traditional AND modern approach if you look through a scientific lens (and how they adapted- 2000 years is quite accomplishment).
(I mean St. Francis of Assisi writing numerous pages about the question if we are all going to be men in heaven- and being completely serious. That has a beauty of its own.) 

I think it is fantastic when religious people find a way to perfectly accept modern science and believe in their life. Because it is possible.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, potato said:

It wasn't Guy Consolmagno, was it? If so, I had the privilege of hearing him speak at Sasquan (WorldCon) in Spokane in 2015. He was amazing and seemed so normal! He was the Vatican Astronomer at the time.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic