IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 40: Acting Like Everything Is Normal in the Middle of a Pandemic

Coconut Flan

45 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I saw an interesting question on Reddit and thought it could be a funny thing to do here too. If you had a time machine and could send Duggar, Bates, fundie in general back on a period they worship, what it would be? And what their reaction would be? 

I would like to send the Duggars back to the middle 19 century. They would maybe last a day 

I’d like to send them back to the 1950s. Unfortunately, Jim Bob and Michelle would probably do okay there since they grew up in a pre-Internet age. I suspect they’d be horrified to discover the 50s weren’t the perfect Godly paradise of their dreams. The Duggar kids, though, would go crazy. No social media! Conformity even more constricting than what their parents already mandate! 

jill Rod would wither without her social media, date nights and tchotchkes. Not to mention having to be an actual housewife rather than playing at it.  I’d pay to see that. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

Ooh, Jrod in the real 50! I would pay too to see it! Can we propose a reality to Tlc n witch Duggars and co, are forced to live for a week, or so, like in the 50 or 30 or even just early 1900? I would watch every single ep! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I think with the Duggars it would be interesting to send them back to a time without cable Tv and social media to see how this huge family would really have fared without earning money from the show and paid endorsements. 
Although the humpers always maintain JB was a millionaire and the boys work hard, I think his property portfolio would be considerably smaller and the kids would have to get jobs other than house flipping or preaching. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 8

Pretty much any time period in which the answer to “We have 19 kids!” would be, “Wow, we only have a dozen. See you at church!”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 29

3 hours ago, postscript said:

I’d like to send them back to the 1950s.

Was homeschool legal then? It would be great for the young girls to go to school! 

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Was homeschool legal then? It would be great for the young girls to go to school! 

School desegregation was a huge issue then; I'm sure JChelle would have been making alarmist robo calls and they would have found a way to keep their kids out of public schools. 

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It would be interesting to send them back to the 1940s or 1960s. Would the boys all go to war?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I think the 60's would be interesting, as the boys would probably be off to Vietnam since it's a chance for the boys to try to convert the "godless Communists." They seem like the type to be in favor of the Vietnam war, even when it became a quagmire.

• Upvote 10

None of them would last long. Say 100 years ago, even 70 years ago,  life was hard work. Gardens, canning, butchering, wringer washers and  clotheslines, travel was not the norm or comfortable, unpredictable heating units, no air conditioning, maybe indoor plumbing.  That laundry room break down would be a regular occurrence. I'm thinking rural or rural towns. I cannot imagine living in a city 100 years ago. So many different issues. Can't imagine city living now for that matter. I'm a 70 year old county girl who didn't have indoor plumbing till I was 10, huge gardens, chickens and gathering eggs, raised milk cows, beef cattle, sheep and hogs so I do remember hard times. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 13

I would like to place the Duggars in the 80s when Reagan was President. I wonder if they would have treated him the same way they have treated Trump these past 4 years? I know modern day conservatives worship Reagan now, but would they if they lived during the 80s? I feel wrong placing them in like a historical time period because a family with 19 living kids wouldn't live as long just because tech & medicine isn't where it is now. For a long period of time it was hard to have a large family because the science we have now just wasn't there back in the day. Putting them during a similar historical time that we are currently in now like the late 1910s or the 1930s would be interesting if all them were able to survive, but I just don't think that would be the case, sadly.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I saw an interesting question on Reddit and thought it could be a funny thing to do here too. If you had a time machine and could send Duggar, Bates, fundie in general back on a period they worship, what it would be? And what their reaction would be? 

I would like to send the Duggars back to the middle 19 century. They would maybe last a day 

I thought about Victorian times as well and to be honest, my first thought was that if the Duggars lived back then, sadly they wouldn't have 19 kids alive now. :( Not that I'd wish that, but child mortality rate was awful before the wide spread vaccines to fight off infantile illnesses.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

38 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I thought about Victorian times as well and to be honest, my first thought was that if the Duggars lived back then, sadly they wouldn't have 19 kids alive now. :( Not that I'd wish that, but child mortality rate was awful before the wide spread vaccines to fight off infantile illnesses.

Not to mention that it is probably more recent than we think that Josie would have survived. Michelle also probably wouldn't have lived long enough to birth all of them, either.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Basically, Michelle would have died in Jana and David's birth. She had preeclamsia and a emergency C-section. While C-sections happened in Victorian times, rarely mothers survived, especially one with preclamsia.

They claim God gave them 19 children, but the only miracle is called living in a rich country in the age of modern medecine. 

10 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

I would like to place the Duggars in the 80s when Reagan was President. I wonder if they would have treated him the same way they have treated Trump these past 4 years? I know modern day conservatives worship Reagan now, but would they if they lived during the 80s?

Why not? Wasn't it the age of born-again Christians, churches getting stronger etc? I think they would have loved Reagan and the cold war. Michelle and Jim Bob were teenagers at 80s, so they would feel very comfortable coming back to then. And Michelle's hairdo would be on fashion, too.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7

We wonder how the Duggars, Bates, JRod, etc. would fare if they were sent back to some prior time period, but the bigger question for me is what if this was a one-way ticket? 

Dollars to donuts, none of them would sign up no matter how much they gushed about how great things were way back when. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I’d send them back to the time of Jesus. They think the Bible is the ultimate authority so I’d like to see them living like the people in it.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5

On 1/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, Vivi_music said:

Interestingly tracing my family tree, my ancestors who lived in the same California town I live in now, had a huge family - IIRC it was 18 children, in the 1800’s, pre- US,  and they all lived to adulthood. Many of the women were healers. And most of them had huge numbers of children , who also mostly lived to very old ages. And so on. When I was a little girl in the 1960s I had a dozen or so extremely elderly great-great Aunts and Uncles who mostly died in their ‘90s. Unfortunately every seceding generation of that side of my family has been dying a little younger. 

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Topaz said:

I’d send them back to the time of Jesus. They think the Bible is the ultimate authority so I’d like to see them living like the people in it.

As long as they can’t come back. I can see Jim Bob trying to be the new messiah because he “knew Jesus in person”.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

I don't know where else to post this one. I have watched Bridgerton and it dawned on me those woman had similar rules but could still dance and touch hands with more males then the Duggar girls. 

• Upvote 10

Sending them back to the time of Jesus sounds like a fair idea, but would we really want to curse him? ? That just seems too cruel. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Sending them back to the time of Jesus sounds like a fair idea, but would we really want to curse him? ? That just seems too cruel. 

He started it. And being 1/3 of an omniscient deity he had to know that what he started would eventually give rise to the Duggars and their ilk, so I don’t think it’s unfair.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 2

On 2/1/2021 at 3:26 PM, AussieKrissy said:

As long as they can’t come back. I can see Jim Bob trying to be the new messiah because he “knew Jesus in person”.  

Lordy. Just the image of the poor brown-skinned, Aramaic-speaking carpenter being approached by this Lego-headed idiot greeting him with "Hola!"

• Haha 40

In order to be with Jesus in his time, they would also to travel through space as well as time. If they just went back to the time of Jesus, they would still be in Arkansas, presumably with some Native Americans. 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic