IGNORED

Mom's Corner by Teri

SPHASH

On 4/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, Jana814 said:

I think Christopher & Anna-Marie are done when it comes to kids. When they announced she had cancer one of my first thoughts was “I guess they will stop with 6 kids”. 

I don't see all six of their kids in the photo. I think the youngest boy is missing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I don't see all six of their kids in the photo. I think the youngest boy is missing.

An ad appeared for me just under your post, 'Hilarious Notes Written By Children.' The note they used to illustrate started out, in very shaky, first-grade style printing and spelling: "Mom, I'm going to run away tomroe at 9:30..."  I thought at first it was part of your post and that the missing boy had written it. I was like, "Go, little Maxwell, run freeeeeeeee!!!!!!" :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

In the Easter photo, I think Simon is front and center, with Benji's arm around him.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:33 PM, SPHASH said:

Easter pic in Teri's email.  Nice to see Gigi included.  No Sarah, Anna, and Mary.  Course you can't tell 3Anna is with child she is in the back.  Elissa is being defrauding with her knee.

EasterFamily2023-33c4bb634ad4f76b.jpg

Those big collared 80s/90s style dresses…..are these just seen still as the symbol of the wholesome American Christian family? I know there’s a big thing amongst many of our fundies of “girls in dresses and skirts only” but these are just such a different level of style and I can’t even think where you can buy dresses like this now except for thrift stores and them being handed down. I obviously mean like the one the girl on the end (Ruthanne?) is wearing.

The thing is I almost feel these dresses to the opposite of modesty (which we know is the most important part)because they stick out these days.

If I see a little girl like the one front and center (not sure which Max grand child she is) in the skirt and orange t shirt, I wouldn’t think twice. Yes it’s a skirt but plenty of girls wear skirts and dresses all the time still - I wouldn’t look and think “yep there’s a Christian”. But as soon as I see a dress like that…..immediate thought “very ultra religious most likely Christian probably evangelical” Poster symbol. And takes me back to the early 90s.

I absolutely love the little hat on the little guy next to Orange T shirt.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

58 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Those big collared 80s/90s style dresses…..are these just seen still as the symbol of the wholesome American Christian family? I know there’s a big thing amongst many of our fundies of “girls in dresses and skirts only” but these are just such a different level of style and I can’t even think where you can buy dresses like this now except for thrift stores and them being handed down. I obviously mean like the one the girl on the end (Ruthanne?) is wearing.

The thing is I almost feel these dresses to the opposite of modesty (which we know is the most important part)because they stick out these days.

If I see a little girl like the one front and center (not sure which Max grand child she is) in the skirt and orange t shirt, I wouldn’t think twice. Yes it’s a skirt but plenty of girls wear skirts and dresses all the time still - I wouldn’t look and think “yep there’s a Christian”. But as soon as I see a dress like that…..immediate thought “very ultra religious most likely Christian probably evangelical” Poster symbol. And takes me back to the early 90s.

Chelsy put both of her boys in the same plaid shirt and newsboy hats. The other one is being held by Abby.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I don't think they are hand-me-downs unless A-M knows someone with daughters just a size or two larger than hers, because usually the girls are wearing matching dresses. And A-M has mad seamstress skills. I think the style is what she might have worn when she was her daughters' age, so she doesn't have to worry about the style not being holy enough.

If I see a little girl like the one front and center (not sure which Max grand child she is) in the skirt and orange t shirt, I wouldn’t think twice. Yes it’s a skirt but plenty of girls wear skirts and dresses all the time still 

This. My girl-children were "skirts-only" until whatever grade you are in where boys begin to comment on being able to see your underwear when you swing upside down on the monkey bars.

Oh, he is rocking his style. Chelsey's kids are usually dressed in really cute outfits. It seems like she is more into thrifting and shopping the clearance racks than sewing. Frankly I don't know how A-M finds the time to sew for her family.

• Upvote 7

If those huge-collared dresses are thrifted or hand-me-downs, I see no reason why NR-Anna couldn’t alter them to remove those collars or scale them down to something less awkward-looking. She knows how to sew. I’d be itching to rehab them!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hane said:

If those huge-collared dresses are thrifted or hand-me-downs, I see no reason why NR-Anna couldn’t alter them to remove those collars or scale them down to something less awkward-looking. She knows how to sew. I’d be itching to rehab them!

She could cut the collars up into scrunchies, which are having their moment again. No, Anna definitely sewed those dresses and chose the pattern.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

My mom bought me dresses like those for band or piano concerts back in 1992. They were probably from Kmart and yes, I looked like a 40 year old secretary in them. 

• Upvote 6

I think that Teri mentioned once that Anna Marie kept dresses from her childhood that her girls are wearing now, I assume they are the things we see in this picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• 3 weeks later...

The God-Directed Summer (No Regrets) is the latest Mom's Corner and it's from May 9, 2023.

Part 1 First Paragraph:

Summer is soon to arrive, and that often means a change of pace for us, especially homeschool moms.

Not especially for homeschooling moms. Most mothers have a change of pace in the summer.

This is the time to begin preparing for those summer months if you want to utilize them productively. Homeschool moms often look forward to summer and all they can accomplish that isn’t possible during the school year. However, it is common for them to come to school startup disappointed that their hopes were not fulfilled over the summer. Be purposeful now so that you have the summer you want to have.

This is true again for many mothers. However some mothers have enough to do without planning ahead, especially homeschooling moms.

Part 2 First Paragraph:

Seek the Lord

“A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps” (Proverbs 16:9). How beautiful it is to have thoughts about what you want to do over the summer, submitting them to the Lord for His direction. Perhaps that is well done in the morning hours before the children are up, with a cup of coffee or tea right after your Bible time. No matter when you do it, being quiet before the Lord and asking Him to direct your steps and your children’s for the summer is critical. 

That quote from Proverbs is one of their favorite quotes. I doubt the Lord cares too much about how you spend summer, and I'm not sure what guidance He can offer.

Part 2 Second Paragraph:

This verse could be key as you begin: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33). Where does the Lord come into your summer plans. How will you and your children seek Him and His righteousness in a planned way? Maybe you will personally take more time for your Bible reading. You could set your preschoolers up for audio Bible time or work with a teen in how to have a meaningful time in the Word. What about a theme verse for the summer to memorize as a family and bring into as many aspects of daily life as possible?

I'm familiar with this verse. I mentioned it before that it's the basis for one of the Catholic Church's favorite hymns and seeing it gets the song stuck in my head. If I had guidance from the Lord on summer, it would involve Him sending me nice days intending to do something outdoors. Or hot days, where I wear lighter clothes.

Part 3 First Paragraph:

The List

As you prayerfully consider the summer, write things down. Perhaps you are going to do some school. Maybe you want to do organizing and decluttering. Are there cleaning projects to be tackled? What about learning a skill with your children or teaching them one yourself? Summer is a great time to revise chore assignments and teach new ones. What about serving opportunities with your children – making freezer meals to share when they are needed, babysitting for a young mommy, or visiting elderly friends?

Yes, making a list is a good idea and so are their ideas about things to do. Cleaning, organizing, visiting people, etc. are good idea. When they say a young mom do they mean a woman with young kids or a young woman who had kids? Are all moms with little kids young?

Part 3 Second Paragraph:

Discuss your thoughts and lists with your husband. He might have his own ideas to add, and he could encourage you away from something that you have on your list. Then keep your list before the Lord in prayer.

Or he could make his own list for him to do and do his own parenting!

Part 4 First Paragraph:

Plan It

Next what is on your list can be organized and separated into groups leaving spaces between to write or congregating the ones that are related. Pray and ask God to help you with specifics for implementation. What will it take for this particular thing to happen? That’s why I like working on the computer. All the listing, moving ideas around, and adding details to them is easily achieved there.

Not a bad idea and most people use a computer or phone these days. You skip lines on paper or get a new piece of paper to divide physical tasks.

Part 4 Second Paragraph

Finally, you work on a schedule to give time for what you are going to do. Again, move forward with prayer. You want the power of your God working with you in the achievements of the summer. Without getting what you want to do on the daily schedule, it probably won’t happen or at least not very often. Some things only happen once, like a zoo day. They won’t be on the schedule as such. Those are the days, you actually drop the schedule. 

Again I think having a schedule is a good idea. I doubt God has much do with whether you're success although an act of God like a tornado would certainly affect plans. 

I'm glad we can go to zoo and not have a schedule at the zoo. 

Part 4 Third Paragraph

But most of your days can have a rhythm the schedule directs that is Christ-led because you sought Him for what goes on it and when it should happen.

I don't think God is that involved in our lives and schedules. Only things like the weather and maybe the microwave malfunctioning. Even that might just be luck/ill luck.

Part 5 First Paragraph

The Joy

I think as you seek the Lord and His righteousness for your summer, you will have joy in the planning and preparation, joy through your summer days, and joy at the end when you consider the summer behind you. That comes from your being purposeful about your summer. This is the time to do that!

I think getting things to done can be a joy, but I'm not sure God is as micromanaging as they make Him out to be here.

One more thing she signs it, 

Teri

She didn't sign the last one. I wonder if they read it and saw us questioning whether Teri or Steve wrote the last few.

Hello Teri (and Steve)!

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 1

Terri is a few months behind.  It's already mid-May.  My daughter did her summer planning in February.  Instead of isolating her kids though, the kids go to Scout camp, sport camps, science and art classes, and a family vacation.  

Carry on here:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic