IGNORED

Mom's Corner by Teri

SPHASH

On 2/10/2023 at 2:35 PM, SPHASH said:

And of course they get up major early to do their Baatan Death March aka  14ers while on what some might call a vacation.  Once I think they got up at 2 am to get ready, have Bible Time, then drive to the trailhead which would have been 1 am Mountain Time.

They explained their early departures in one of their What Some Might Call A Vacation posts, and it has something to do with the fact that early afternoon thunderstorms are a very common thing in those mountains. But in one post they described meeting a group while they were descending and how that group had gotten a too-late start and weren't going to be able to summit before the storms hit - and it just dripped condescension because CLEARLY if they were disciplined like the Maxwells, they would've had a better time.

• Upvote 7

On 2/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, Alisamer said:

That sounds like Steve. He can't control his own eyeballs so he forces other people (Teri, in this case) to inconvenience themselves to accommodate him.

I’m pretty sure Steve needs blinders more than horses. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

My husband and I summitted  Half Dome in Yosemite about 10 years ago, and we started at about 0400 in an effort to beat both the crowds as well as the warmer temps. Of course, lots of other hikers started early as well. I understand the early start times, although the Bible study before, not so much. Heck they could have talked all things Bible and prayed along the way-

• Upvote 11

• 1 month later...

This month's Mom's Corner is called Not the Spirit of Fear and it's from March 14, 2023.
First Paragraph:

It seems that it doesn’t matter where we are in life, there are things that come up that can create fear in us. I recently had one of those related to a back injury that wasn’t getting better right away. So then the fear – what if? Remember when our daughter-in-law, Anna Marie, had breast cancer three years ago? What if? What are your fears and the what-ifs that are wrapped around them? How do you deal with them?

I remember. It sounds like Anna Marie is doing well and in remission. 

Second Paragraph:

In 2 Timothy 1:7, God clearly gives us His mind concerning fear. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” No doubt about it – the fear is not from Him. He gives us three important things that are our weapons to use against fear – power, love, and a sound mind.

And yet many people are afraid of God. So many people find peace away from religion, because they grow up afraid of hell. As for the Maxwells, Steve certainly comes off as scared to me. 

Third Paragraph:

The word “power” in Greek is dynamis, like we get our word dynamite from. According to Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance, it means “force (literally or figuratively); especially, miraculous power.” That reminds us of what Paul says in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” And then in 2 Corinthians 12:9 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” We have His power!

They are really pushing Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. It seems that looking up words in it is their new hobby. 

As for power, yes many Christians with different beliefs find confidence from the Lord.

Fourth Paragraph:

Love in this verse is agape love – God’s love for us. Paul prays for believers concerning this in Ephesians 3:17-19, “That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.” That love gives us the assurance that God is in control and that we can rest in what He tells us in Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

Yes, again, many Christians have used the belief in God's Love to fight fear and self-doubt. I thought agape love wasn't just love for God, but rather any love that is selfless.

Finally,

Finally, He has given us a sound mind, which here means self-control. 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” That sound mind doesn’t let fear dwell in our thoughts. We are to use self-control to take fear captive and in its place, speak the truth of God to our hearts. “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee” (Psalms 56:3). 

Not everyone has sound mind, and I think you could argue that sound mind could mean logic and critical thinking. Rationality defeating fear. 

I'm not sure critical thinking is the strong suit of those reading. "We're all a little mad here."

Sixth Paragraph:

That trio of power, love, and a sound mind are God’s incredible weapons to keep us from living in fear. Do you have 2 Timothy 1:7 memorized? It isn’t a long or hard verse, but it is what you need to combat fear. If it is in your mind, you can call on it any moment, even in the dark of night and any other time your Bible isn’t at hand to open up. 

Yes, memorizing inspirational quotes from something you like can help during difficult situations. 

That being said if your "fear" is anxiety, it may help to see a professional conselor and find help for dealing with anxiety.

Seventh Paragraph:

You have your own fears – big ones and little ones. How do you respond to them? How much time do you give them? Do you find yourself saying that you just can’t overcome them? Don’t give in to your own lies. You can overcome them because God hasn’t given them to you. Instead, He has given you what you need to defeat each of those fears – power, love, and a sound mind. “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might” (Ephesians 6:10).

Yes, this might be helpful for a few people. However it isn't motherhood specific in anyway. It also has nothing to do with the Maxwells who seemed afraid when they had a blog. It would have been a better column if you had included a personal anecdote of how this strategy worked for you. 

Also this column feels like the Maxwell version of the "He Gets Us" ads. A feel good campaign hiding toxic beliefs. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

JMHO, but I think Stevehovah wrote that column, or at least heavily edited/ re-wrote it

I think Teri wrote the first paragraph and Steve wrote the rest. 

Possibly next thread count: Mom's Corner by Teri, ghostwritten by Steve

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

It's bad. 🤬

This month's Mom's Corner is called Children's Soul Health and it's from April 11, 2023. Just from the title, I hate it already.

First Section:

I believe Christian homeschool moms have a deep desire for their children to become adults who are born again, lovers of God’s Word, and followers of our Lord. “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4). “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2). What can you do, as a mom, to facilitate this?

Steve wrote this. 1 Peter 2:2 is one of his favorite bible verses. I'm tired of that verse.

Also apparently all Christian homeschooling moms are evangelicals.

Second Section: Model

Model

What do your children see that you love? How much do you love the Word compared to other things? Your children’s love for the Word will likely emulate your love for the Word. What are you modeling for them? Are you reading it daily? Do you talk about it and tell them what you read, what you learned about God, what you learned about what He wants from you, and how excited you are about it?

Love is an emotion, Steve. You can force yourself to read the bible, but you can't force love.  Also parts of the bible aren't suitable for children: too much violence and sex!

I wish I had done better with this when my children were growing up. These are precious opportunities to set all our minds on things above, but it is easy to let the busyness of the day push those thoughts away. Then our conversation gravitates to the mundane of daily life. Be vigilant to make discussion of the Word your first priority.

Gross! Super Gross! I hope Teri had some input on this paragraph. If Steve wrote this without his wife's input, then it's bad. Teri and Steve certainly shared their love of Christianity and not one of them has become an atheist. The Maxwells took everything out of their lives besides Jesus. And Steve got vasovasostomy and had more kids. Just dealing with the reversals (5 kids in about 8 years) was hard enough. It would be bad if Teri and Steve agree considering what they did to their kids. 

They may not see you having your Bible time early in the morning when they are still asleep, but when you share with them from it, they know. 

I agree it's important to pass on your values (Christian or otherwise) to the kids. It's important to tell them what you believe and why. I think that can be a good learning opportunity for kids.  I don't think this has to be every day.  I also don't think people should feel guilty for not reading the bible everyday, especially moms of small kids. 

Third Section: Time

Time

You can make it a normal, habitual part of your children’s days to read their Bibles by creating a schedule where that happens each day. When the schedule sets that time aside, and you follow the schedule, each day your children will have personal Bible reading. 

Well, this is a blast from the past. Steve and Teri still pushing schedules. Sigh. Some things never change.

Before breakfast is an excellent time for Bible reading because then what was read can be the topic for breakfast-time discussions.

Yes, kids, try to focus without food (and possibly water/fluids). 

Next part is all one paragraph, but I broke it up into sections.

Right now the family of one of our sons has all the children (6 that are ages 3-10) do their Bible time together in the living room right before breakfast but after getting dressed.

This is clearly Christopher and Anna Marie. They are the favorites of Maxwells despite Christopher being the most trouble as a little kid. I distrust fundies who are the favorites of the parents. 

Also they need to get dressed, but not fed before bible time says everything. 

The reading children have their Bibles on their laps. There is an audio Bible playing that the readers follow along with in their Bibles, while the pre-readers listen.

I had trouble reading against noise. I hope the reading kids get to follow along with the audio and not try to decipher 1611 KJV against audio of other KJV verses.

Even though they are all in one location, each child is having his personal Bible time.

Again that seems difficult when there is audio going on. 

There is no adult instruction going on. This does have the added benefit of accountability. 

I guess the kids get enough sermonizing else where. I don't see how this creates accountability. Also "This does have" isn't great English and doesn't need to be used here.

Fourth Section: Provision

Provision

For children to have personal, daily Bible time, they need to have their own Bibles with a font easy for them to read. You can provide them pens and highlighters. Sometimes that is a additional motivation in Bible reading when they can make some notes and highlight things that stood out to them. Pre-readers can participate by having a set up for an audio Bible time.

I agree highlighters and notes might make it more fun. Also some stickers, and maybe some glitter? It might also help to have a bible written in modern English instead of 17th century colloquial English, but to each their own.

It is important to instruct your children in how to have their Bible time.

I thought there was "no adult instruction going on".

You might suggest specific books of the Bible to read. Then you could encourage them to look for what they learn about God in the chapter and what God says for them to do or not do.

And tell the kids which books or parts to avoid in order to avoid sex and violence.

Those notes could go well in little notebooks that could be brought to the breakfast table to facilitate the biblical, spiritual discussions.

Just let the kids eat in peace, especially at breakfast! Steve needs a therapist to deal with his insane food issues.

Same Section, New Paragraph:

Time in the Word is our daily spiritual bread and the nourishment for our souls—helping us know and discern God’s will (Rom. 12:2), filling us with the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23), giving us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). “

Steve it is bad enough you try to pass your disordered eating to your family, it is worse that you try to pass your disorder to grown men in the dad's columns, but it is the worst that you are trying to pass it on to little children. GET HELP!

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). Who wouldn’t want that? Are you helping your children toward it?

Many people, Steve! Many people have other priorities to reading the bible.  And even if reading the bible is important so is having a healthy relationship with food. You can pass down both to your kids.

The last two parts are links to previous Mom's Corners about reading the bible with kids. 

I honestly think this is the worst Mom's Corner or Seriously, Dad? in a long time.  I hope the kids affected by these policies are able to find closure and eventually develop a healthy relationship with food. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

Steve is still ticked the kids are going their own way and perhaps he's now blaming Teri.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

Steve and Teri’s posts always make me so glad I’m not a Christian. I doubt that was the point. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Also parts of the bible aren't suitable for children: too much violence and sex!

Egads! This times one million!  But the Max kids grew up knowing about their dad's vasectomy reversal...

It's ironic to me that Stevehovah still hasn't gotten over glimpsing a woman's cleavage, but is all about how he underwent a procedure to allow sperm to, once again, flow freely to impregnate his depressed wife.. 

• Upvote 8

51 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Steve is still ticked the kids are going their own way and perhaps he's now blaming Teri.  

I can definitely see him blaming her. I blame him for how his kids were raised & the fact that he insisted that his already depressed & tired wife have more kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Those notes could go well in little notebooks that could be brought to the breakfast table to facilitate the biblical, spiritual discussions.

Just let the kids eat in peace, especially at breakfast! Steve needs a therapist to deal with his insane food issues.

Oh, these poor kids! Just imagine, the time it takes to get 6 kids (including toddlers/preschoolers!) to get up and get dressed. Then there’s Bible time, including audio and note-taking. And to top it off, they can’t even have breakfast in peace afterwards, no, they have to bring their Bible notes to the breakfast table to discuss while having breakfast. How awful! They must be miserable and starving by the one they finally get to eat. And it sounds like they do that very morning.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Steve and Teri’s posts always make me so glad I’m not a Christian. I doubt that was the point. 

6 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

They must be miserable and starving by the one they finally get to eat. And it sounds like they do that very morning.

I am not a Christian and not likely to become one but on reading this dreadful Mom's Corner I wondered what the Maxwell children think now about their religion versus their experiences of it while growing up. I cannot see how any child could have joy and peace, or learn how to have a meaningful Christian life under these circumstances. They are being treated like trained monkeys. 

Since they all still appear to be active Christians in their churches & lives, I wonder if they only discovered the joy of their beliefs once they escaped their parentsʻ tyranny. Somehow, I don't think they are doing this crap on their own or with their families. 

• Upvote 14

I wonder if Steve and Teri do morning Bible time with Christopher and Anna? The description of how to do Bible Time sounds exactly liked doing it the Stevehovah way (the only right, God-approved way).

He's alluded before to doing Bible time with C&A.  I can imagine he and Teri get up extra extra early, do Bible time together, then trot over to C&A's to impose Bible Time Tyranny on the grandchildren. Being sure to arrive after they are dressed.

Oh ... and ....... I'm firmly convinced Teri didn't write a word of that Mom's Corner post.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Of all the Maxgrands I hope it's C n A's kids that break free the most.  Must be dreadful living in that household.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

Steve Maxwell has a problem when families don’t spend hours a day reading the Bible. I’m sure he enforces this on Christopher & Anna-Marie’s children & maybe even Nathan & Melanie’s. 

• Upvote 4

Easter pic in Teri's email.  Nice to see Gigi included.  No Sarah, Anna, and Mary.  Course you can't tell 3Anna is with child she is in the back.  Elissa is being defrauding with her knee.

EasterFamily2023-33c4bb634ad4f76b.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 14

I hope the Maxwell women had nice Easter’s away from Maxhell. I’m sure Sarah probably did have a nice day at their church and with her husband’s relatives. And I hope Mary and Anna had fun with friends in WV. I’m sure there were other students that lived too far away To go home for Easter and stayed at school too.

• Upvote 8

If Steve wrote that Mom's Corner, then he definitely seemed to be blaming Teri for the kids leaving. 

On the other hand, Steve seems to struggle with disordered eating. I don't think his family feels comfortable telling him to get help and that's sad. 

I notice Gigi is in some kind of  wheelchair. I wonder if she is still living at home or if she moved somewhere. I can't blame the Maxwells for not including more, since she might be limited by health issues.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 3

It looked to me like Gigi has a walker, technically a rollator, with a seat and she turned it around to sit on the seat..

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I’m relieved only one of the women in that picture has announced a pregnancy lately. And it’s her first baby to be born in 3 years of marriage. The Maxwells were not a super prolific bunch like the Mortons, but they were still pretty steady. I hope a lot of them are done. Or at least done for awhile. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m relieved only one of the women in that picture has announced a pregnancy lately. And it’s her first baby to be born in 3 years of marriage. The Maxwells were not a super prolific bunch like the Mortons, but they were still pretty steady. I hope a lot of them are done. Or at least done for awhile. 

Although that woman is really young especially for Maxwell standards. The only couple I think are done is Melanie and Nathan.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Although that woman is really young especially for Maxwell standards. The only couple I think are done is Melanie and Nathan.

I do wonder how the cancer treatments may have affected Anna’s fertility. It’s possible they are done because of that. Or they might choose not to get pregnant because of the cancer. I would love it if Joe goes very mainstream and says 3 is a good number and are done. But who knows with them. They are pretty private about that sort of thing. Chelsy has health issues so I hope there’s a big gap between Maddie and the next. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I think Christopher & Anna-Marie are done when it comes to kids. When they announced she had cancer one of my first thoughts was “I guess they will stop with 6 kids”. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Some of those children have really shot up since the blog stopped. Christopher’s girls are still in those over long prairie dresses by the look of it so no change there. I hope they’re done with six, especially taking Anna’s cancer into account. I wouldn’t be surprised if Joseph and Alyssa are done with three, they seem to be the most mainstream to me.

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic