Jump to content
IGNORED

Mom's Corner by Teri


SPHASH
 Share

Recommended Posts

For years now, since my mother’s death, my family has done the big fancy dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, then the hang-out-play-games-watch-movies-and-eat-leftovers on Thanksgiving Friday and Christmas Day.

A friend with young kids has gone so far as to schedule two Christmases, on different days: Before “real” Christmas, she travels with her husband and kids to celebrate with her parents, then spends December 24 and 25 at home with her nuclear family. She’s a nurse, and holidays can be stressful—even more so with COVID—so this works for her.

  • Upvote 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

After our salvation, we eliminated Santa Claus. We didn’t want our children believing in Santa Claus only to find out later he was a lie. 

Though she did have a Christmas jumper a few years back with a small Santa amongst other things on it! A lie? Something lot think about Teri!  

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The latest Mom's Corner is up.  It's from January 11, 2021 and it's titled Soul Nutrition.

Quote

The Word

How would you fare if you were taken hostage or in prison without a Bible?

:huh:

This is not something I think most people worry about-- never mind the target demographic for this column: busy mothers. Most of their readers are stay-at-home homeschoolers or housewives or even working moms. Most of them have more pressing concerns.

Quote

The recent Christian Aid Ministries hostages in Haiti, held for two months, had no Bible. Darlene Deibler Rose, American missionary POW in New Guinea during WW2, had no Bible during the 6 weeks she was being interrogated while imprisoned on death row. To draw comfort and strength from the Word, these all had to rely on Scripture they had memorized. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord” (Colossians 3:16)

Again how many Maxwell readers are worrying about being imprisoned in a foreign country? This is the second relatively recent mention of Darlene Deibler Rose in a less two months (she was also featured in this Seriously, Dad?) I also notice that the Maxwells are more interested in foreign missions lately. Interesting! I would probably think about all the song lyrics I  have memorized if I were in this situation.

Quote

What about when you lie awake in the night and can’t sleep? Do you have Scripture in your mind that you recite mentally and think about? “But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night” (Psalms 1:2).

Most people are worrying or trying to sleep. Not remembering things that give them joy. If reciting scripture helps you sleep, then it's a good plan. However if you're trying to sleep, you should focus on trying to sleep or doing things that help you sleep.

Quote

Do you have verses you can immediately pull up when you face a tough situation, are fearful, or want to respond in anger? At those moments, it isn’t always possible to run and get a Bible. “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee” (Psalms 119:11). 

It can be good to have quotes you can turn to in tough situations. Since most of the Maxwells readers are probably Christians, they probably enjoy memorizing scripture. 

Quote

The Excuses

Perhaps we relegate Scripture memory to our children, while we make excuses concerning it for ourselves. We might say, “I can’t memorize!” I remember hearing Jim Berg address the “I can’t memorize Scripture” excuse in one of his Quieting a Noisy Soul sessions. He said to his audience, “What is your phone number? What about your address? You all can memorize!” Our other excuse goes like this, “I am too busy. I just don’t have time.” We make time, however, for what is a priority in our lives and important to us.

Not everyone is good at memorization. It's easy for some and more difficult than others. It's simply not how their brains work. As for memorizing phone numbers, most people have the phone on autodial now. Also addresses and phone numbers are a lot shorter than most bible verses. There is "Jesus Wept.", but most verses are more longer and people have trouble memorizing them. Also Steve and Teri are empty-nester retirees. Of course they have time.

Steve and Teri feel that if memorization is easy for them, it must be easy for everyone else. 

Quote

The Plan

There is a simple way to begin memorizing Scripture. Pick a verse to memorize. Write it on a notecard or two (to keep different places) so that you can reference it easily. Take just five minutes a day to work on it. It takes me seven minutes a day to blow dry my hair. That is a good time for me to memorize Scripture.

Some people could read the same card for a couple of months and still not memorize the lines. Busy moms don't necessarily have 7 minutes to blow dry their hair. Ask MisforMama! 😁

Quote

Read the verse out loud several times. Then close your eyes and try to say it without looking. When you get stuck, look at your card. The next day, try to say your verse without looking at the card first. Usually, I can not do that the second day because I can’t remember the first word. So I check the card, get the first couple of words, and see if I can say any more of the verse. If not, I do what I did the day before. Usually it takes me several days before I can start the verse myself, but it does come. Practice it anytime you can through out the day. Even better use it when applicable in your daily life.

So Teri is able to memorize a verse within a week or two? Again I'm not sure just because Teri and Steve can do it, that everyone can. I probably could, but not everyone could.

Quote

Once you have one verse down, keep reviewing it, and start on another one. It might be the next verse in a chapter or passage or from a completely different place. If it is a continuation verse, work on it like you did the first verse, while reviewing the first verse. When you have the second verse down, say them together when you work on them.

Why start in a completely different place? Wouldn't it be easier if you keep memorizing one story or or section?  I guess it makes sense  if the verses are linked thematically. Maybe verses about love or strength, etc.?

At some point if you will have memorized enough scripture, it will take half the day to go through all the scripture you know.

Quote

If you need an idea of verses to start your memorizing plan, consider these:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice evermore. 
17 Pray without ceasing. 
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

The first two verses are extremely short, and the combination is a joyful, peaceful, and powerful way to walk through each day.

Okay this is not a bad place to start. I might break it down in the first two verses for one week and the third verse for the second week.

These are funny verses for Steve and Teri. They say be happy and have fun. Don't worry about being biblical or living as a good Christian, just give thanks for everything since it's God's will. 

Quote

Start Now

Could I encourage you to set excuses aside and start memorizing Scripture? Think of the potential value in your life. “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16). This is the beginning of a new year. Make it the beginning of a new habit as well. Start with just one verse – one that will be helpful to you on a daily basis. Work on it until you know it and then use, use, use it so that you don’t forget it. Move on from there.

 What if that verse isn't useful for them? All this emphasis on memorizing scripture with no emphasis on gaining understanding or learning to interpret what you've read? Just rote memorization and emphasis on getting the exact wording right.

There is nothing particularly about motherhood/parenting for moms here. This could have been a regular blog post. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geez, the Maxwells are weird. Like not having a bible would be your biggest problem if you were taken prisoner or hostage.

If i were taken hostage I'd only want a bible if it were hollowed out and had a saw in the middle so I could saw myself out.

And yes, how interesting that Teri is writing about international missions. Things that make you go hmm. 🤔

  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s surprising they haven’t gotten into the Bible bee before Chelsy introduced them. Teri is so into Bible memorization, you would think they would have started pushing the Bible bee many years ago. But maybe they used to think it was too worldly. 

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or it might be -- heaven forbid -- Fun.

Oh no, not fun, Never Fun. Can't have anything Fun.

Fun is bad. Bad, bad, bad. Very bad.  Very very bad

Evil even.

Nope. Nope. No Fun allowed. Never ever never never.

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s surprising they haven’t gotten into the Bible bee before Chelsy introduced them. Teri is so into Bible memorization, you would think they would have started pushing the Bible bee many years ago. But maybe they used to think it was too worldly. 

Steve probably would have said that Bible Bee contestants are just doing it for the worldly prizes, not for the eternal prize of hiding the word in their hearts, or however the phrase goes. Too much of a "sport" for him.

But yes, it is interesting that Teri is worried about foreign missionaries nowadays. Hmmm.

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teri don't worry! Uruguay is one of the safest places in Latinamerica

If I were in prison I'd be worried about violence or something like that, not my bible

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Steve probably would have said that Bible Bee contestants are just doing it for the worldly prizes, not for the eternal prize of hiding the word in their hearts, or however the phrase goes. Too much of a "sport" for him.

But yes, it is interesting that Teri is worried about foreign missionaries nowadays. Hmmm.

A teenager in my former fundie-lite church was involved in Bible Bee, which merited a small write-up in our regional daily newspaper, and her mother was literally in tears as she complained how said newspaper treated it as “just another contest” rather than an activity which would reap eternal rewards.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope they are not passing on their fears of missionary hostage situations to Anna and Mary.

By rights, it's Joe and Jesse who need God to wake them up to the sinfulness of Christmas trees, with a good kidnapping and a month without a bible! 

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Not everyone is good at memorization. It's easy for some and more difficult than others. It's simply not how their brains work. As for memorizing phone numbers, most people have the phone on autodial now. Also addresses and phone numbers are a lot shorter than most bible verses. There is "Jesus Wept.", but most verses are more longer and people have trouble memorizing them. Also Steve and Teri are empty-nester retirees. Of course they have time.

Steve and Teri feel that if memorization is easy for them, it must be easy for everyone else. 

This is so true.  Back in the waste of time that was Awana I got a lot of awards for memorization of verses I didn't understand at all, because none of them interested me.  Another girl was clearly a true believer and understood the lessons far better than me, but she couldn't close her eyes and see the words like I could so she got fewer kudos for that.  

These people focus on the wrong skills.  Also, why were the awards always bible bookmarks?  Mine came with the little string so why would I have needed more?

  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 2:21 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Steve and Teri feel that if memorization is easy for them, it must be easy for everyone else. 

This is a big thing with Steve. If it's easy for him, it must be easy for everyone. If it's difficult for him, it must be difficult for everyone. 

Unfortunately Steve used this to make his kids' childhoods bland, joyless, and sex-obsessed. Because if he can't keep his eyes off of women's bodies, then surely no one can and therefore his sons must be taught what is sinful, and the girls made to dress in ways that won't "tempt" men, including taking the kids places to watch people and point out evil "eye traps". Because Steve can't enjoy things without going overboard on them, Teri isn't allowed Pepsi, the kids couldn't play sports, etc. Because Steve likes hiking in the mountains, the kids and Teri were required to as well. Because Steve has no concept of moderation, the whole family had to be totalitarian against things like TV and anything that might be "fun". 

I'm glad it seems like all their children have stepped away enough to make their own choices now. 

  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

This is a big thing with Steve. If it's easy for him, it must be easy for everyone. If it's difficult for him, it must be difficult for everyone. 

Unfortunately Steve used this to make his kids' childhoods bland, joyless, and sex-obsessed. Because if he can't keep his eyes off of women's bodies, then surely no one can and therefore his sons must be taught what is sinful, and the girls made to dress in ways that won't "tempt" men, including taking the kids places to watch people and point out evil "eye traps". Because Steve can't enjoy things without going overboard on them, Teri isn't allowed Pepsi, the kids couldn't play sports, etc. Because Steve likes hiking in the mountains, the kids and Teri were required to as well. Because Steve has no concept of moderation, the whole family had to be totalitarian against things like TV and anything that might be "fun". 

I'm glad it seems like all their children have stepped away enough to make their own choices now. 

Except poor Christopher...still following Daddy's tragic business model for families when not photographing wedding dresses on hangars next to a mop and bucket.  

I told my daughter I want a pic like that of her wedding day before she gets dressed and even after showing her the source of the joke she doesn't get it.  Sad little non-fundy snarker.  I'll bring my own mop and bucket and take my own damn picture!

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teri really has an amazing way to make life a real drag.  Why doesn’t she change her posts to Grandma’s Corner?  Then she could look talk about investing in her grandchildren with a joyful heart.  
 

I am really surprised we don’t see Steve and Teri doing fun stuff with their grandkids whether it be going be the local playground to run around, a hike, or visiting some site related to their school work.  If they don’t I wonder if the kids parents prevent it or Steve/Teri have no interest? 
 

Just one more mystery in the lives of the Maxwell clan……

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

I am really surprised we don’t see Steve and Teri doing fun stuff with their grandkids whether it be going be the local playground to run around, a hike, or visiting some site related to their school work.  If they don’t I wonder if the kids parents prevent it or Steve/Teri have no interest? 

Now now, Teri has her occasionally scheduled 15-minute story time with the grandkids, and a once a year picnic! 

I think Teri is not a kid person and gets overwhelmed easily. I think Steve is, and probably enjoys the grandkids, but is also a stick in the mud.

Plus they've always curated everything they do. We only see what they want people to see.

  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Now now, Teri has her occasionally scheduled 15-minute story time with the grandkids, and a once a year picnic! 

I think Teri is not a kid person and gets overwhelmed easily. I think Steve is, and probably enjoys the grandkids, but is also a stick in the mud.

Plus they've always curated everything they do. We only see what they want people to see.

Bolding mine, that's what's so crazy to me!  We see only what they choose to put out there and even with total control Teri is scary af.

They are both horrible, but I do think Steve is a marginally better parent and grandparent only because of how clearly she exudes that she finds her family nothing more than tedious obligations who she actively dislikes.  

When I read here my inner child pops up to let me know Teri scares her on a visceral level far more than Steve.  (My inner child isn't allowed to have her own FJ account because tptb consider she and I to be the same person, so I had to post it for past me.)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Hope they are not passing on their fears of missionary hostage situations to Anna and Mary.

By rights, it's Joe and Jesse who need God to wake them up to the sinfulness of Christmas trees, with a good kidnapping and a month without a bible! 

Didn't Elizabeth Munke's family have a holiday tree up all year?  A Christmas tree but the décor would change based on the current holiday or season?  I swear that weird fact it rattling around in the recesses of my memory.  

Can you imagine if she'd gone through with marrying Joe?  All that festivity and color bursting through the Maxwell beige.  Good for her for the bullet dodged, but I would have liked to have seen that.

  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, freejugar said:

Hey Teri takes them to a picnic yearly. https://blog.titus2.com/2019/04/25/the-third-annual-spring-grandmas-picnic/

What more do you want?

image.png.14047c54c45c28ceb6328c5c7aa7a782.png

My guess is that the kids don't want to. Grandpa and grandma aren't as fun as the aunties.

That picture is so sad.  Teri looks like a school marm lecturing her students for misbehaving.  Will Teri do a Grandma's picnic this year since two of her slaves and three of her grandchildren are out of town.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

 

I told my daughter I want a pic like that of her wedding day before she gets dressed and even after showing her the source of the joke she doesn't get it.  Sad little non-fundy snarker.  I'll bring my own mop and bucket and take my own damn picture!

Oh please do that!  And make sure the hangar is a fugly plastic or wire one, the worst looking one you can find.

And if you're comfortable with posting it here please do that too!

  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never understood why the heck they were sitting on a sidewalk against a wall there. Every playground I’ve ever been to has picnic tables. Grass is nicer to sit on than cement. They even (sarcasm) make this thing called a ‘picnic blanket’ people bring on things called picnics. (Or, in my family’s case, that old sheet we have designated as such.) 

The kids probably miss their aunts but tolerate their grandmother. I’m glad that the grandkids now have the example of people going to college, even if they did it late they still went.

  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, kpmom said:

Oh please do that!  And make sure the hangar is a fugly plastic or wire one, the worst looking one you can find.

And if you're comfortable with posting it here please do that too!

I will absolutely post it here!  Sadly we won't be able to hire Christopher as her dress is a little too Nike! to be Maxwell approved.  You can see her collarbones so Christopher would find it quite scandalous.

Pics of her dress below, imagine how the mop and bucket will accentuate the beading!

Spoiler

dress full.JPG

dress close up.JPG


 

  • Upvote 2
  • Love 24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Except poor Christopher...still following Daddy's tragic business model for families when not photographing wedding dresses on hangars next to a mop and bucket.  

hey, hey, hey. That was Christopher exercising his inner avant-garde artist[e]. Or exorcising it. You be the judge.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




  • Recent Status Updates

    • Scrabblemaster

      Scrabblemaster

      I danced through my living room feeling awesome. From time to time I do this. Maybe wine is involved. Good music is definitely involved. It is awesome. I recommend it to you. With or without wine.
      · 2 replies
    • Hazelbunny

      Hazelbunny

      After a few months of trying to decide what kind of new computer to get and my brother telling me a Mac would be the best decision I could ever make and my sister telling me that would be the worst and I ought to stick to Windows.... I now have a used Mac. I am trying to get used to it. Not easy, but the Magnifying program is a lot better than the Windows one (that was the ultimate reason for my decision) and FJ works a lot better than on my 10-year old Laptop, too!!  
      · 0 replies
    • WannabeHistorian

      WannabeHistorian

      Y'all, holter monitors suck. And naturally the palpitations that caused this test to be ordered are remarkably absent today. 
      I'm off to go work out in the hopes that triggers it. T minus 10 hours till I get this thing off. 
      · 3 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Fuck Fornicate.  Glad I got in to see this place before the world went to shit.
       
      · 0 replies
    • PreciousPantsofDoom

      PreciousPantsofDoom

      I frigging hate the toilets at this worksite. Specifically the door locks. Stupid little knoblet that isn't clear if it is locked or not. Door opens right off the main hallway and the toilet is just far enough from the door that I can't just hold the door shut in case I've got the lock wrong. I mean really people, how hard is it to design this? I just want to pee in private with no anxiety. Apparently that is too much to ask for. 
      · 1 reply
    • 47of74

      47of74

      First thing I'm doing when I get to the hereafter is finding the ancestors who moved to the US in the first place and asking them what the fuck they were thinking moving here in the first place.  Along with giving them an epic the reason you suck speech hopefully in the presence of God and the Lord Jesus Christ Himself to all of them for condemning their descendants to living in a shithole.
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Its STILL snowing. Its not like I don't have a million things to do and need to take crap to the dumpster. 
      · 2 replies
    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Do any of you play Dyson Sphere Program?   For those who don't know what it is I'd suggest Googling it, because there's no way I could do it justice. 
      There's always just one more thing to do before I turn off.  Blink!  And it's 2 hours later.  
      · 0 replies
    • Granwych

      Granwych

      I have a chance to undergo esketamine treatment for depression.  If any FJers have any thoughts, I’d appreciate them.
      · 3 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Do I even wanna know?

      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.