• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

PennySycamore

My youngest daughter worked for a number of years in various hotels.  She said that pretty much every hotel you stay at has had bedbugs at one time or another and as @Tangy Bee mentioned 5 star hotels are not immune.  

Lgirlrocks
29 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

My youngest daughter worked for a number of years in various hotels.  She said that pretty much every hotel you stay at has had bedbugs at one time or another and as @Tangy Bee mentioned 5 star hotels are not immune.  

Same with hospitals. People bring them in a lot. 

SPHASH
1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Teri, the bed bugs realized where they were and may have left before dying of boredom. 

And the bed bugs don't know where they are going when they die.

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 20

mango_fandango

Yeah I also thought something bad had happened to NR-Anna, rather than just flipping bed bugs. Yeah, they can be difficult to deal with, but... like someone else said, overdramatic much??

Melissa1977

I had never before heard about bed bugs as a current risk. I thought it was a problem of the past. I checked the situation in Barcelona and there is data that bed bugs practically dissapeared 50 years ago, but are slowly coming back because the touristic appartments. Apparently, hotels are not a problem (here, at least) because the cleaning protocols and lack of carpet on many of them. It may be true, because I've travelled a lot and stayed in average hotels and never found bugs, plus haven't heard anybody having to deal with that. Maybe it has been a matter of luck... next time I'll go to a hotel I'll be scared!

If Maxwells went to an airbnb for Jesse's wedding, and when they came back they unloaded the suitcases in that bedroom, bugs could have easily moved the mattress, be fruitful and multiply.

FreeKaylee
Posted (edited)

I dealt with bed bugs at the beginning of this past summer.  I apparently brought a pregnant one home from a nice hotel.  I was sitting on my couch reading a few days after I got back and my shoulder stared itching very badly.  I scratched it and I felt little lumps.  I went and looked in the mirror and there were like 12 raised, red bites.  I took off my shirt and turned it inside out and the damn bug was still on it.  I killed it and looked it up on the internet, and I just about died when I saw it was a bedbug.  

Apparently I’m lucky that I’m extremely allergic to them because I was able to realize there was a problem early on, some people don’t realize until there’s a full blown infestation because they don’t react to the bites.  The itching was unbearable though, lol.

I looked all around the living room with a flashlight and vacuumed very thoroughly, including turning my couch upside down and vacuuming inside it.  I didn’t see anything else and I hoped it was just that one bug.  About a week later, I started getting bitten when I was sitting on my couch, but I couldn’t see any bugs.  I wasn’t sure what was happening so I just vacuumed again and waited.  About a week later I started getting bit again and I found two nymphs (baby bed bugs) in one day.

I immediately got rid of my couch, put my cat in her carrier in the car, and sprayed my whole living room with 3 cans of raid bed bug spray.  I may have gone overboard but I hate bugs.  My cat and I went to stay with my mom for a week while it dried.  It worked, it’s been 3 months and no more bed bugs, but I’m still too afraid to get a new couch, lol.  

I think Steve should get rid of the mattress and box spring and anything upholstered in that room.  If you don’t act quickly they multiply, and they need to feed every few days so they will travel out of that room if they must to find a food source (humans).

Edited by FreeKaylee
  • Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

fundiefan

Bed bugs are a serious PITA but they are not really a big, bad thing. 

I've never had them (knock on all the wood) but we did have an infestation at work a few years ago. They started in one corner and over the course of a couple weeks spread to our whole side of the building. I don't know how large the building is, but there were over 700 employees, so it was significant. 

They had bug sniffing dogs in almost daily. They were trying, apparently, not to use chemicals. In the end, they had no choice because it was out of control. It was winter, so we all had winter coats there. Putting everything in plastic while at work, changing clothes in the bathroom the second I got home and putting those clothes in a plastic bag until washing - - got freaking old. People with garages were changing in their garage. It was just beyond ridiculous. People were trying all the internet ideas they could find. It was nothing short of chaos. 

Finally, they sprayed or treated or whatever and the little shits were gone. But it was about a month long situation. The company definitely went about it the wrong way and there were epic complaints. They had to do a lot of damage control afterwards. 

But, seriously, even with all that - no one's life was at risk, there were no long term effects, the bugs weren't killing anyone or making them sick. I'm sure there were allergic reactions to bites, like someone here had. But, again, a whole lot of PITA but nothing warranting "very bad news". Especially while in the middle of a pandemic, when a family member is battling cancer. 

The Maxwells are seriously out of touch, have little concept that their words matter, and an inflated view of their god (for keeping the bugs in one room, apparently...we'll see about that). 

Lady Grass Lake

I encountered BedBugs when we stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville about 10 years ago.  Didn't realize it was bedbugs until I got home, but two of us had a lines of bites.  They were in a straight line on my legs, very close together that itched like crazy.    This was before it became a news item, so we didn't know we should have treated our clothes and suitcases.  I didn't see a bug but Googled the bites and pattern of  bites and assumed it was.  I did notify the Hotel so hopefully they caught it quickly.    Now when we travel we check the bedding and keep the suitcases off the floor.  

allyisyourpally5

My friend runs a toddler group each week called Music Bugs.....how fitting!

Have I read this thread correctly - is Anna now sleeping in the spare room? Or is this not the case at all?

Why the heck don’t all those grown women (yep I said it Steve, that’s what they are) have their own room? There’s the room they share, the boys old room and the spare. They should at least have their own space.

Bethy
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Why the heck don’t all those grown women (yep I said it Steve, that’s what they are) have their own room? There’s the room they share, the boys old room and the spare. They should at least have their own space.

If the girls WERE starting to branch out to other areas of the house, I hope the response wasn't, "Well, see what happened? You tried to move upstairs/spend time separate from the family and now we've got BEDBUGS!" (Never mind they could've come from the vrbo at Jesse's wedding, or Steve and Teri's recent vacation.)

They really need an exterminator. An actual exterminator, not just some diatomaceous earth and painter's tape. But will they do it? Hard to say. Given the fundie DIY pride ("We sew our own clothes because nobody else can make them modest enough! We homeschool our kids because nobody else can teach them better than us! We invent our own businesses because we won't work for anybody else! We homechurch/nursinghome church so we're in charge! We do all our car/van/Uriah repairs to save money! We educated ourselves and BUILT OUR OWN HOUSE!" I have my doubts. Making your own stuff is great and saving money is cool but bedbugs are a huge deal to get rid of (leave one female alive and you've got an infestation in the works) and can actually cause mental illness from the anxiety, wondering if they're gone, feeling "itchy" feelings that aren't even there, etc.

Oh wait, they don't believe in mental health either. Never mind.

But I wouldn't wish bedbugs on anybody.

Edited by Bethy
My punctuation fail was bothering me

SassyPants

I must be a bed bug novice? idiot? If I saw one, lone black bug I’d think 🐜 or flea, and discard it. Back to my reality where I’m never dealing with such pests.

Bethy
1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I must be a bed bug novice? idiot? If I saw one, lone black bug I’d think 🐜 or flea, and discard it. Back to my reality where I’m never dealing with such pests.

Bed bugs look a little different. Brown with distinct horizontal striping on their backs. I wonder if they have been getting bitten, or if they got bitten on their recent wedding travels, and were already on high alert?

Jigsaw3
On 10/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, Giraffe said:

What I want to know is why she taped a note (with the bug!) on his computer for him to see in the morning. It’s not an emergency that needs to be dealt with that very instant but it’s weird to me that she didn’t go tell him as soon as she discovered it. Was she cleaning so late that he’d already gone to bed for the night? Or is their schedule so tightly followed that even for something important he’s not to be disturbed and instead needs a note providing evidence? 

I did exactly this once: left a squashed bug on a note on the kitchen table for my roommate to see, since she wasn't available. Maybe Steve had retired for the night? In my case, we knew there had previously been bedbugs in the building so when I found one in my bed I knew exactly what it was.

As everyone else has said here and as the comments on the blog are saying, they need to get on this ASAP. What they've done so far is fine, but there's no guarantee they're not elsewhere and they need to act like the bugs are in every room in the house.

This may cut down on intra-family socializing for a while. I hope the marrieds haven't been inside the house of Steve recently, or they may want to check out their own domains just as a precaution.

Bethy
1 minute ago, Jigsaw3 said:

This may cut down on intra-family socializing for a while. I hope the marrieds haven't been inside the house of Steve recently, or they may want to check out their own domains just as a precaution.

Jesse just moved out in May, though I would think that (a) if they had bugs that long ago, they'd probably have a way more noticeable situation now than just a single bug in the music room. My bigger concern would be Joe - if they did any "Oh, hey, here's a box of books/old clothes/shoes/whatever that you left behind when you got married, now that you're moving more than half a mile away, better take it with you!" I hope nothing hitched a ride.

BullyJBG

Yes, I too thought that the title Very Bad News meant that either someone died, or someone got Covid-19.

Now, I can't be the only one who thought, when Anna-Marie talked of her cancer buddy's death, and that she left behind a widower with 3 kids, of the possibility of inviting them to visit in about a year, introducing them to Sarah, and one thing leading to another........:)

Howl

Mods, can you modify this threat title to read: Maxwell 43: DiVESTing from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist? Thanks! 

Sops2
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BullyJBG said:

Now, I can't be the only one who thought, when Anna-Marie talked of her cancer buddy's death, and that she left behind a widower with 3 kids, of the possibility of inviting them to visit in about a year, introducing them to Sarah, and one thing leading to another........:)

Now I didn't even think of that, but it is such a good idea!

There's no reason why Anna Marie couldn't play matchmaker, I'm sure  the fact that the brothers are all married, but all the girls are left behind seems a bit unfair to her

Edited by Sops2
Addition

mango_fandango

I don’t think Anna is sleeping in the spare room on her own. I think she was just reading up there. The note to Steve called it the music room. 

ClareDeLune
2 hours ago, Bethy said:

Jesse just moved out in May, though I would think that (a) if they had bugs that long ago, they'd probably have a way more noticeable situation now than just a single bug in the music room. My bigger concern would be Joe - if they did any "Oh, hey, here's a box of books/old clothes/shoes/whatever that you left behind when you got married, now that you're moving more than half a mile away, better take it with you!" I hope nothing hitched a ride.

Joseph and Elissa will be especially pissed if the Maxparents have sent bedbugs into their new luxury home! 

Hane
5 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I encountered BedBugs when we stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville about 10 years ago.  Didn't realize it was bedbugs until I got home, but two of us had a lines of bites.  They were in a straight line on my legs, very close together that itched like crazy.    This was before it became a news item, so we didn't know we should have treated our clothes and suitcases.  I didn't see a bug but Googled the bites and pattern of  bites and assumed it was.  I did notify the Hotel so hopefully they caught it quickly.    Now when we travel we check the bedding and keep the suitcases off the floor.  

I was at that same venue on a business trip about ten years ago! Fortunately, I encountered no bedbugs.

Melissa1977
3 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Now, I can't be the only one who thought, when Anna-Marie talked of her cancer buddy's death, and that she left behind a widower with 3 kids, of the possibility of inviting them to visit in about a year, introducing them to Sarah, and one thing leading to another...

Sarah does not babysit her own nephews and has definitely no interest in housekeeping. I bet she would run away from a widow with several children! I have the feeling that Sarah is comfortable with her current life.

kpmom
On 10/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Lgirlrocks said:

So my question is why didn’t Anna go directly to Steve and tell him about the bed hugs? Why did she leave him a note on his computer? I know if I found anything suspicious at my moms house I would tell her directly. 

Maybe Saturday nights are sweet fellowship nights for Teri and Steve and Anna didn’t want to disturb that.  

Sorry for the visual. 😄

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 5

donnal

Bedbugs are terrible.  One hotel I worked in hosted airline crews so they would pop up periodically (maybe twice a year).  When they were sighted we would have to immediately shut down that room as well as the rooms above, below, and on either side of it because of how quickly they could spread. Those rooms would then be out of order for the next 3-4 days while they were chemically and heat treated, even if there were no bugs spotted in the adjacent rooms.

I had to deal with them once years ago.  I suspected they came from the new neighbors across the hall in our apartment building.  About two weeks after they moved in I started getting the bad bug bites in clusters and lines.  l knew immediately what they were.  We were actually at the end of our lease that month and moving into a house so I let management know they were there in the building and we just got rid of all of our soft furniture and bought brand new mattresses, couches, chairs, etc. for the new house cause we didn't want to risk bringing anything with us.  All fabric(clothes, linens, etc.) was washed and dried on high heat and we spent the first two months in our home watching everything with a very paranoid eye before we could finally relax and accept that we were in the clear.

Because of my paranoia, the very first thing I do when I check into a hotel is set all my belongings on the desk or counter and immediately pull back the bedding to inspect the mattress for signs of bedbugs - little blood spots, white or brown dots in the seams, etc.

HoneyBunny

All this talk of bed bugs...something I had already intended to do today I did with even more vigor. It was time for the annual “rotation of the super high mattress” which involves furniture rearranging and removing bed posts and anything breakable within about 10 feet of the bed. While everything was torn apart, I closely examined the mattress and boxspring, and then vacuumed extensively, and then checked the dust that had been vacuumed up for any telltale signs. I then washed everything right down to the bedspring cover in HOT water and dried it in a HOT dryer. 

I mean, not that we’ve spent a single night in a bed not our own in the past almost 8 months, nor had a single house guest,  but you guys had me wondering...