IGNORED

IFB Pastor Caught on Camera Screaming "White Power!"

NachosFlandersStyle

Jesse Hursey is the 29-year-old pastor of Bynum Baptist Church, an independent fundamentalist church in Pittsboro, NC. Last week he also spoke at a local Young Republicans rally where he called Trump "the most pro-god, pro-bible president in history" ?. After the rally he joined a parade full of trucks flying Trump flags (and a handful of Confederate flags). Some counterprotesters holding BLM signs caught video of parade participants hurling abuse, including one man screaming "white power!" Local reporters identified the man as Hursey. His church's website is now down and he's denying everything. Some real old-time religion, huh? 

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article245926935.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Independent Fundamentalist Baptists basically have no oversight; it's fun when they get exposed for how truly awful they can be. 

Lots of articles these days on the current mashup of racism, Trump and Evangelicals/Teavangelicals, which is tied to the profoundly racist history of Protestant religion in the south.   

Here's a useful overview:  

White evangelicals love Trump and aren't confused about why. No one should be.  Focusing on the disconnect between Trump's actions and the moral aspects of evangelicals' faith misses the issue that keeps their support firm.

The Washington Post has covered this extensively, but they are behind a paywall. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

NC, IFB and racism? Not surprised one bit. One thing I have observed is during the time of Trump, these Trump Christians have become progressively more open with their hate. Long gone are the days where they pretended to show love and compassion. Now they are proud of how hateful they are. Instead of what would Jesus do, it is what would Trump do.  I'm sure the IFB wagons will circle around this pastor and he will suffer no repercussions. 

It reminds me of an article I read back when Trump was first elected that was discussion how so many Christians said they knew Trump was awful but they wanted to elect him because he would get stuff done for them. The article said that when you make a deal with the devil, you always lose in the end. And that is what happened to these people. I bet most of the people screaming obscenities at that women also attend church faithfully and four years ago couldn't imagine being so openly hostile and cruel. These people traded their souls for power. In the end all they are doing is ruining any chance to pretend they have a moral high ground.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

Fundamentalists + racism + Trumpism = making fundamentalists especially vulnerable to  QAnon influence.   What an absolute shit storm of rat fuckery and straight up crazy. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

NC, IFB and racism? Not surprised one bit.

I know, right? 

I love where I live. Small town to live in, big city nearby so all the amenities of that are available, mountains, beaches and an even bigger city all within a 4 hour drive, cost of living isn't terribly high... it's pretty awesome.

Except the racism, fundamentalism, and ignorance.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

It reminds me of an article I read back when Trump was first elected that was discussion how so many Christians said they knew Trump was awful but they wanted to elect him because he would get stuff done for them. The article said that when you make a deal with the devil, you always lose in the end. And that is what happened to these people.

Exactly. I haven't heard that "he's flawed but..." sentiment in at least a year or two. Now he walks on water and if you don't like something he does, that just makes these folks like it more.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2

This is where I live and have been protesting for 2 years. He did this in Elon, we were in the next little town over waiting on them. These "Trump Parades" are getting super popular here. There is one every weekend around here until the election. Anywhere else?

The Hurseys own a couple of very popular barbecue restaurants. They are distancing themselves from him and it is hilarious. 

Also, I'm tired. And sick of Nazis. 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 3