IGNORED

Justin and Claire: Woe Is Me

Coconut Flan

25 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

These are Anna's pictures of last year (2019) ugly Christmas sweater party. On the first picture (Meredith and Spurgeon), is that Claire sitting on the couch and looking at the camera? ?

Ooooh, this puts a whole new spin on the recent passive aggressive Anna... could it be possible she was trying to scoop the news, without actually coming out and doing it which would have gotten her into trouble with JB?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Markie said:

Was Justin the one who fell down into the stage scaffolding that Michelle videoed rather than comforted? 

It was Jason into the orchestra pit. 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

These are Anna's pictures of last year (2019) ugly Christmas sweater party. On the first picture (Meredith and Spurgeon), is that Claire sitting on the couch and looking at the camera? ?

yes! that looks like her mum next to her, and the little blonde girl behind Meredith is maybe her youngest sister? I guess they all hang out with Josh just out of shot.

lol clearly we should be snarking on Anna less, as it is distracting us from the secret messages and information she is clearly trying to provide us with. 

Edited by wendy-sparkles
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My first thought when I saw this girl was also "Holy shit, she looks like Jana."

I don't think she looks that much older than him. I think in the one picture they posted to announce the courtship, she looked a little older because of the make-up, but I think there's some exaggerating going on. You'd think she looked like the crypt keeper and Justin looked like a baby. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3

Now that we know about her she was clearly visible in another photo of the Christmas event also, she is next to Jessa and I think next to her mother? I'm not sure who that person is. The female with the long wing tuner to the camera is Jana I think vrhor96vkko51.jpg.69ce5741cfba3e5528950f91150e870b.jpg

• Thank You 2

47 minutes ago, TheRadleyPorch said:

Why are we even discussing how old Claire looks? Or Justin for that matter? We know how old they ARE, their looks are completely irrelevant, they have absolutely ZERO to do with the appropriateness of this relationship (which, IMO, would be fine if they were just kids/young adults dating and not about to get married). I frankly think it's quite telling about how we are conditioned to perceive girls/women that so many people are commenting on how old Claire looks. This kind of attitude goes hand in hand with people making excuses for men in their twenties, thirties, forties, etc, who "date" or statutorily rape teenage girls because "she looked older."

Considering we've had threads with people defending clear cut cases of statutory rape as the female minors fault because "she started it" in the past, this thread doesn't surprise me sadly. We aren't always as far away frlom the women as defrauding crowd in our victim blaming as we'd like to think.

ETA: I think those wonderful memories were in threads relating to the older gentleman who married the woman he knew since childhood. That or the Chapmans. Can't remember. 

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

Considering we've had threads with people defending clear cut cases of statutory rape as the female minors fault because "she started it" in the past, this thread doesn't surprise me sadly. We aren't always as far away frlom the women as defrauding crowd in our victim blaming as we'd like to think.

ETA: I think those wonderful memories were in threads relating to the older gentleman who married the woman he knew since childhood. That or the Chapmans. Can't remember. 

We've had WHAT??? ffs. Thank the stars I missed that or I'd still be going off.

I agree with the above poster. I don't care how old she looks, a 17 and 19 year old pairing isn't inherently wrong, and I think this forum often veers dangerously into being overly critical of women's (and occasionally men's as well) appearances rather than their beliefs. Look at the Lauren's hat debate. I don't care what these people look like... 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I don’t care one way or the other about how old Claire looks but I find it a bit concerning how much she looks like Justin’s sisters. There is one photo of her laughing were she looks exactly like Jana. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, OrchidBlossom said:

We've had WHAT??? ffs. Thank the stars I missed that or I'd still be going off.

I agree with the above poster. I don't care how old she looks, a 17 and 19 year old pairing isn't inherently wrong, and I think this forum often veers dangerously into being overly critical of women's (and occasionally men's as well) appearances rather than their beliefs. Look at the Lauren's hat debate. I don't care what these people look like... 

Oh yes. There was a whole discussion that got heated where a handful of posters were defending 20 something men and young teen girls because their brother/cousin/friend was seduced by the girl and obviously it was all her fault. It was a small but vocal minority.

• Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

Okay - I take back the comments on their looks - except that they DO look like babies. Because they ARE babies... they should be working at the local pizza place and staying out too late with friends, deciding on college classes maybe, or going to a movie (pre-Covid), testing boundaries. Because they're KIDS. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

20 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

Oh yes. There was a whole discussion that got heated where a handful of posters were defending 20 something men and young teen girls because their brother/cousin/friend was seduced by the girl and obviously it was all her fault. It was a small but vocal minority.

I think it might have been just one person actually. But she wrote a lot about it and was very stubborn in her views. 

Edited by Iamtheway
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

I think a big part of the problem is that Justin and Claire have been raised in a fundie bubble where they were homeschooled, and only allowed to associate with other fundies. Most people Justin's age are in their senior year of high school, and typically are focused on graduating in the spring, while applying for college and other post-high school things. While Claire does look older, she's the age when most are in their early years of college. It's true that there are people who have married at 18 or 19 and still married, but they had been dating in high school, and typically waited until both of them have graduated from high school before getting engaged. Many others who married that young also ended up divorcing when they realized they married the wrong person. That, and it's hard to believe that the Howlers are now at the ages when they'll be courting and getting married as they spent their childhoods being part of a TV show.

• Upvote 7

21 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I don’t care one way or the other about how old Claire looks but I find it a bit concerning how much she looks like Justin’s sisters. There is one photo of her laughing were she looks exactly like Jana. 

Exactly! She looks just like Jana to me too

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Sweetandnice0501 said:

Exactly! She looks just like Jana to me too

I don't find it concerning at all, and I surely hope no one is implying some kind of overt or subconscious sexual attraction to his sisters. People tend to judge (can't think of a better word right now), but what they are used to and how close others are to what they are used to. Duggar boys (leaving out the sex pest here) grew up surrounded by pretty sisters, so that look is likely what they consider pretty.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

On 9/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, Iamtheway said:

Abbie does too. It’s super creepy that more than one brother picked a girl who looks like a sister mom. 

• Upvote 2

Can someone with skills please photoshop Jana to have dark brown eyes and hair, because then I think the resemblance to Claire will be unmistakable.

I agree that Abbie also looks a lot like Jana, and I feel like Justin saw what JD had done and said "Here, hold my KoolAid."

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • WTF 1

I actually recently stumbled upon an article that claimed it's not uncommon for people to pick a mate that either looks like their parent or sibling. Of course, in a lot of cases siblings look like your parents too so it all stems from the parent thing...but yeah, it's supposedly fairly common. I don't remember it well and there wasn't any real science behind it but it boiled down to the hypothesis that your brain is attracted to what you're familiar with.

I tried finding the specific article again and while I failed, Google results pulls up plenty of others posted throughout the years. So while we might immediately go EEK, I suppose dating a clone of your sibling isn't really all that strange?

I honestly don't see the resemblance but I've always had a hard time with faces, if that makes sense. I rarely look at a kid and say to a parent "oh they look just like you" because my brain just doesn't drink in small details like others can.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

I don't think it's like, a creepily strong resemblance or anything. And I'm sure the more we see of Claire the more she'll look like "herself" so to speak. But she and Abbie are the only Duggar in-laws that I think look like Duggars (and Abbie looks like of like Jana but actually I think looks most like John haha). All the sons-in-law have distinct features, as do Anna and Kendra and Lauren. 

• Upvote 3

On Tumblr, there is a face swap(?) I can't find a better word between Jana and Claire and Jana Claire and Abbie, I haven't really see Abbie as one who resembles Jana but in that post, it was really clear. I will try to find it and post it here 

Found it: 

https://precious-and-neat-fundies.tumblr.com/post/630190691112419328/we-need-that-face-mash-blogger-to-do-one-with

Edited by Italiangirl
Adding the link to the post I was talking about
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 3

6 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

On Tumblr, there is a face swap(?) I can't find a better word between Jana and Claire and Jana Claire and Abbie, I haven't really see Abbie as one who resembles Jana but in that post, it was really clear. I will try to find it and post it here 

Found it: 

https://precious-and-neat-fundies.tumblr.com/post/630190691112419328/we-need-that-face-mash-blogger-to-do-one-with

This does not convince me that Abby looks like a Duggar. Her nose and face shape are way different.

And I'm medium face blind!

• Upvote 7

There are really only so many face variations out there. At some point and time, you will meet people who at least vaguely resemble your family members. The notion that they must then be off limits for dating is nonsense. So he can't date someone who resembles Jana? He then has to rule out anyone who resembles Jessa, Jill, Amy, and oh let's not forget Lauren and Kendra.  That's a lot of potential partners ruled out for no good reason. 

• Upvote 9

• samurai_sarah locked this topic