IGNORED

Justin and Claire: Woe Is Me

Coconut Flan

I think there is big difference between curse words and insults. I definitely curse in my own language (and especially old curse words have a VERY religious connection) and thanks to my in laws in English (Bloody hell has just a wonderful ring to it). So Scheiße and shit are definitely words I use. But using an insult at people is a whole other ballgame and I can only bring myself very seldom to use one. Like almost never.

• Upvote 11

On 11/3/2020 at 5:19 PM, Zebedee said:

My partner's father, OTOH, is German too, and when he swears, he'll say "Scheiße!" and then apologize to me. But he'll happily say "fuck" as if it is a normal word. And I have seen furniture adverts on billboards here with stuff like "Buy everything you fucking want!" on them - even though I swear quite a lot, even *I* have to take a second look 

I do that too! But I’m trying to stop because I don’t want my kid to swear while visiting his catholic cousins in Australia ... ?

And if he does I’d prefer it if it was a Swedish swear word that they don’t understand. 

On 11/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, Meggo said:

I went to high school with someone whose last name was LIKE Wanker - but slightly different- So let's say it was Wanger. We'd call him that and my husband (Canadian) said "Why do you keep calling him a Wanker?! That's not nice." 
(in the end - he was every bit a wanker) 

I will never forget the look on my bosses face when he thought one of my male co-workers was yelling a pretty bad sexual slur at me when it really was just a nick-name based on a shared interest that sounded a bit like it. It was pure horror and ”I do NOT want to deal with this right now.” ?

• Haha 8

On 11/4/2020 at 1:49 AM, medimus said:

People used to say shit and fuck in class at my school (Flemish in Belgium) and noone batted an eyelid. IT was a perpetual source of discomfort when a friend would say fuck in front of my mother. The other way round happened too: I couldn't bring myself to swear in English as a native speaker, but I once said verdomme at a karate class and got yelled at. THe literal translation is damn, so I didn't think it would be that bad and it just didn't feel that bad to me, but definitely held more weight!

As a native French (Canadian) speaker, I have heard fellow Quebecers say ''fuck'' and ''shit'' a lot. The thing is... I live in Canada, in a bilingual city. I actually had to explain to friends that if you say these words in English circles, people will look at you weird.

Swear words are very embedded within a culture. So if it's not native to your culture, it is normal that it carries less stigma.

Another example is French people who try to make joke about French Canadian swear words (because we don't have the same swear words). When they do these parodies, they usually insert a gazillion swear words within a sentence. If it would be in real life, it would be considered rude.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Another example is French people who try to make joke about French Canadian swear words (because we don't have the same swear words). When they do these parodies, they usually insert a gazillion swear words within a sentence. If it would be in real life, it would be considered rude.

I think I've used more swear words in the past four years than the proceeding 60 years. It may be time to clean up my act a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 7

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I think I've used more swear words in the past four years than the proceeding 60 years. It may be time to clean up my act a bit.

Believe me I swear a ton as well in real life. I was talking more about parodies on TV or in entertainment, where swearing on public broadcasting is still, well, even here, not the norm. French people find our swear words super ''quaint'' ??? so they believe we use them in all social settings. Like, I swear a ton, but I also know how to adjust my vocabulary depending on the event and the setting.

• Upvote 5

I dont swear in real life. My words are "dang" and "my goodness". But I sure use the heck out of the wtf emoji when it comes to Trump. LOL!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I do that too! But I’m trying to stop because I don’t want my kid to swear while visiting his catholic cousins in Australia ... ?

And if he does I’d prefer it if it was a Swedish swear word that they don’t understand. 

I will never forget the look on my bosses face when he thought one of my male co-workers was yelling a pretty bad sexual slur at me when it really was just a nick-name based on a shared interest that sounded a bit like it. It was pure horror and ”I do NOT want to deal with this right now.” ?

Fellow Australian here, pretty sure the cousins  have heard it all before! ???? We love to sweat here... nothing help to accurately describe how you are felling like a few swear words. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

My husband knows swear words in a lot of languages. And only swear words. So whenever he meets someone from another country he is like "Where are you from? From Finland? Oh, I know some Finnish. Vittu!" Some people find that funny others not so much.

I usually don't use any swear words at all. Only when giving birth I swear in every single language I know.

• Haha 10

Jersey Girl here who moved to Cincinnati and found everyone pretty horrified by every "shit" and "fuggit" that came out of my mouth. WTF?

Later pretty much learned to tone it down but in the car, not so much. But I took care of the kids during the day and would forget they were in the car until I heard, "Grandma, what's a . . .?"

I instituted the swear jar thing and it was always only me who had to put anything in. There were time's I was like, Here's a 20...

Edited by patsymae
typos
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

So Justin's 18th birthday is Sunday. When do you think they'll announce their engagement. 

I think they're already engaged and and will announce in the following 2 weeks from Sunday.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

As a native French (Canadian) speaker, I have heard fellow Quebecers say ''fuck'' and ''shit'' a lot. The thing is... I live in Canada, in a bilingual city. I actually had to explain to friends that if you say these words in English circles, people will look at you weird.

Swear words are very embedded within a culture. So if it's not native to your culture, it is normal that it carries less stigma.

I've lived in Quebec (french canadian boyfriend), and the swearing thing was one of the most confusing things. I'd say that the most common words I heard were "tabarnak" and "calise". Never heard the words for tabernacle and chalice used in that way before, but .. yeah. I learned some Joual. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

So Justin's 18th birthday is Sunday. When do you think they'll announce their engagement. 

I think they're already engaged and and will announce in the following 2 weeks from Sunday.

I'm not sure. I think they will have a longer courtship/engagement than usual, because of their ages and the pandemic.  

The tabloids/gossip magazines usually publish around Thursday.  I think they'll try to find a magazine to cover the story, so it's unlikely the announcement will be Sunday.

I tend to think we won't get announcements before the birth of Vuolo #2. Although Kendra announced pregnancy #3 right before the birth of Evelyn Forsyth so it's possible there could be an announcement.  

I think they will put off the engagement for while. My best guess is they will announce an engagement as promotion for the next season of Counting On. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm not sure. I think they will have a longer courtship/engagement than usual, because of their ages and the pandemic.  

The tabloids/gossip magazines usually publish around Thursday.  I think they'll try to find a magazine to cover the story, so it's unlikely the announcement will be Sunday.

I tend to think we won't get announcements before the birth of Vuolo #2. Although Kendra announced pregnancy #3 right before the birth of Evelyn Forsyth so it's possible there could be an announcement.  

I think they will put off the engagement for while. My best guess is they will announce an engagement as promotion for the next season of Counting On. 

Usually it's a pregnancy announcement 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

Usually it's a pregnancy announcement 

what do you mean?

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

They've already been courting for about a year.  Justin has also been calling it a 'relationship' and not a courtship.  Methinks they were already engaged when the announcement happened and they will marry before her 20th b-day in February.

And this family doesn't give two shits about the pandemic.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

They've already been courting for about a year.  Justin has also been calling it a 'relationship' and not a courtship.  Methinks they were already engaged when the announcement happened and they will marry before her 20th b-day in February.

And this family doesn't give two shits about the pandemic.  

It may still make it harder to schedule things. And they care a lot about being on television. TLC isn't going to film a big fundie wedding during the pandemic.  

They're pretty much engaged as far as that goes, but I'd be surprised if the wedding was that soon.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 6

what do you mean?

When someone announces a pregnancy that's when they announce the new season

It may still make it harder to schedule things. And they care a lot about being on television. TLC isn't going to film a big fundie wedding during the pandemic.  

They're pretty much engaged as far as that goes, but I'd be surprised if the wedding was that soon.

It could be the first outdoor wedding for the Duggars 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I have a string of curse words that I use if I stub a toe, fall or hurt myself in some way. I don't even know for sure what I say or in what order, I do know bloody hell is in there. 

Growing up, my mom always swore in Spanish. I never did. When my son was little and she watched him after school etc.... he used one of those words. She edited herself after that. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, raayx01 said:

The Thursday after his birthday.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I think they're engaged already, or will be as soon as he turn 18 - I think they did the thing where they only announced an official courtship when an engagement was a sure bet. In reality, they've likely been courting ("pre-courting") since April 2019. I don't think Jim Bob is going to make his son jump through the hoops he made Ben jump through. The only thing that could hold up a wedding up is TLC/ Figure 8's willingness to film, and honestly if I'm a horny teenager I might not care about the TV filming it, especially if, as Jill and Derick have implied, they don't make any money from having their life events filmed, only Jim Bob does. They're probably better off setting up a YouTube account and putting a wedding video up there (with ads ofc). I think I'd prefer that rather than their poor film crew having to film hundreds of people who don't believe in masks/social distancing, so are probably even more of a risk than a regular crowd. 

Edited by wendy-sparkles
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

@wendy-sparkles I agree with everything you say but the show is very important to the parents and they control the purse strings. I get the impression the Spiveys are on board with being on TV too. They could try and do the ‘wedding during a pandemic’ angle but the reality is this family has only modified it’d behaviour for the purposes of TLC- we all know their preference would be multiple households crammed into Miss Renee’s followed by a poorly catered super spreader event! 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

@Idlewild you're right, all the parents probably want it on TV, especially our BFF Hilary, and either Jim Bob is employing Justin/ supplying the house or his FIL is. Obviously Jim Bob cant say he wants it to be on the show for the money, but he can probably say they should wait so their testimony of not kissing or whatever can be showed as part of their ministry. I guess they could do an outdoor wedding in Spring, and TLC might be willing to film that?

Actually I think I want TLC to film everything the Duggars do, because it will force them to wear masks and act like they're taking the pandemic seriously. Does anyone know if any of these types of reality shows have figured out how to film yet? I know some competition reality shows have formed short term massive bubbles, and that some scripted shows are doing daily? testing etc. Is that worth it for these type of shows if their attraction is they are cheap and logistically easy to film? I guess it will be when TLC runs out of content, which can't be far off. Gosh I feel bad for their film crew though.

• Upvote 6

I suppose the Duggars could be in a massive ‘bubble’ with regular testing but the problem is there’s so many of them and they’d have to be trusted not to interact outside of the bubble and they’d be bound to breach it. 
plus one thing we have learned is these people are dull- they need organised events to break the tedium of monologues about season of life, pieces of their heart & all their other BS. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, raayx01 said:

They are probably the next season of Counting on, but I think they'll announce on his birthday that they area either engaged or maybe even married. Not likely the Duggars would skip an opportunity to get massive amounts of gifts, but it would get them some good comments to pay attention to the pandemic swirling around them for once. Big weddings are out.

• Upvote 3

I think they'll get married before Inauguration Day because they think Biden's going to "take away their rights" with a lockdown. So an engagement announcement in the next couple of weeks and a wedding in January.

• Upvote 4

• samurai_sarah locked this topic