IGNORED

Justin and Claire: Woe Is Me

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, mpheels said:

Peace sign in the US is the same as the UK/Australia, but the the other way round (palm facing in) is meaningless in the US.

@Expectopatronus - when you say the gesture with thumb and pinky up, are you talking about the shaka ?? Not sure how that’s inappropriate. It’s an all purpose goodwill gesture. It’s very commonly used in Hawaii and was popular with teens throughout the US in the 1990s when pop culture was heavily influenced by skate boarding and surfing culture. The buses in Honolulu have a shaka graphic that plays on thier sign boards if a car lets them merge in.

When done sideways, it was a gang symbol in my area for awhile.

15 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I haven’t seen the middle finger or the two finger salute in many years. Maybe I have given one to rude drivers occasionally lol 

Here’s one for you! (Not directed at you.)

871DE689-DB03-4086-9E9C-7CA1A5597092.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 14

11 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Here’s one for you! (Not directed at you.)

871DE689-DB03-4086-9E9C-7CA1A5597092.jpeg

You’re my hero. ❤️❤️

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

It was like a reflex.

Lucky it wasn’t your gag reflex he kinda inspires that in me lol ?

Edited by AussieKrissy
It
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 9

On 10/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, medimus said:

In the uk you can make a peace sign with a v as well but only with your palm and thumb facing out. If your palm and thumb are facing you that's really rude!

ffs I lived in London until recently, have many friends there, MY FIANCE IS BRITISH. And no one EVER TOLD me. I just texted Mr. Blossom and he said he assumed I knew.... Like dude I've been flipping your friends off FOR SO LONG and no one ever corrected me??!! I'VE DONE IT TO LECTURERS. I can't believe FJ had to be the one to tell this American ex-pat she's been embarrassing herself.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 35
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

ffs I lived in London until recently, have many friends there, MY FIANCE IS BRITISH. And no one EVER TOLD me. I just texted Mr. Blossom and he said he assumed I knew.... Like dude I've been flipping your friends off FOR SO LONG and no one ever corrected me??!! I'VE DONE IT TO LECTURERS. I can't believe FJ had to be the one to tell this American ex-pat she's been embarrassing herself.

As long as you sound American, they'll probably just assume 'silly foreigner doesn't know what she's doing' :D

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Duggar data has just uploaded the next 6 months prediction and it predicts an engagement for Justin and Claire just 3 days before Christmas, the 22 of December. It seems at the same time too far and too soon for these two. What do you think?

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I don’t think you offended. Asian pop culture has a similar hand sign for photos (hands held more horizontal though) so they might have thought you are just doing that? That is what I assumed with the Duggars. I have only ever come across / used the British insult when the fingers are definitely in a vertical direction. I also haven’t seen it used much in movies or series- just once to be precise. And more in jest in person. But all the Brits I know are VERY polite. No four letter words, no offensive gestures (if not in jest and even that is rare). Like you, it took me a couple of years till my husband revealed this glorious gesture to me. Thankfully I didn’t use it before. Now I do. Because I mean it ?

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

Duggar data has just uploaded the next 6 months prediction and it predicts an engagement for Justin and Claire just 3 days before Christmas, the 22 of December. It seems at the same time too far and too soon for these two. What do you think?

I am thinking a Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/Boxing Day engagement. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, medimus said:

As long as you sound American, they'll probably just assume 'silly foreigner doesn't know what she's doing' :D

Yeah I angrily texted the group text for my closest friends and they said they just figured it was an American thing. BUT THEY WATCHED ME DO THIS TO LECTURERS!!! Although I got high marks in all my classes so I guess they probably also assumed I was just American. 

12 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think you offended. Asian pop culture has a similar hand sign for photos (hands held more horizontal though) so they might have thought you are just doing that? That is what I assumed with the Duggars. I have only ever come across / used the British insult when the fingers are definitely in a vertical direction. I also haven’t seen it used much in movies or series- just once to be precise. And more in jest in person. But all the Brits I know are VERY polite. No four letter words, no offensive gestures (if not in jest and even that is rare). Like you, it took me a couple of years till my husband revealed this glorious gesture to me. Thankfully I didn’t use it before. Now I do. Because I mean it ?

I've definitely done it in a vertical direction. I will say my Brits are probably more loose with profanity (I'm at the lower end of millennial so my friends are all millennial to Gen Z), so its possible it breezed over them a lot the same way a swear word in conversation might. But still. When I move back, I'll have to be extra conscious of this around people who aren't my friends. My fiance has been laughing at me since last night when I asked him why he never corrected me. Said it seemed impolite to embarrass me. Such a fucking Brit. 

• Haha 10

I’m thinking the wedding is going to be Christmas-ish.  Ten bucks says they are already engaged and the announcement will happen around Thanksgiving. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I’m thinking the wedding is going to be Christmas-ish.  Ten bucks says they are already engaged and the announcement will happen around Thanksgiving. 

Sounds fitting seeing as the groom to be isn’t much older than the Baby Jesus

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 21

On 10/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, Expectopatronus said:

When done sideways, it was a gang symbol in my area for awhile.

Me too. That was my thought when I saw the picture, then realized the odds of Hannie Duggar and pals throwing gang signs at family camp was probably about 0 ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Me too. That was my thought when I saw the picture, then realized the odds of Hannie Duggar and pals throwing gang signs at family camp was probably about 0 ?

It’s really funny to imagine that though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I think it depends if TLC can film it - I really doubt they will marry without some sort of show and being filmed on the Duggar’s phones will not make for great TV.  And something tells me Hilary is there for a TV special....I can see them continuing the ‘lockdown courtship’ theme to a lockdown engagement- even though we know they have been ignoring social distancing.

The wedding will be as soon as the production company agree to start filming.

Miss Renee may do a zoom dress fitting....

• Upvote 10

11 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It’s really funny to imagine that though. 

Right? I mean I want the younger girls to break free and have choices — but maybe not THAT free, and not THOSE choices ?

• Upvote 1

@OrchidBlossom Yeah, we Brits are way too fucking polite! My BFs and I usually just call each other wankers (though for me that is because it is a funny sounding word, and also German uses wanken as a verb. To mean something completely innocuous, but I still crack up when we pass the sign for the village of "Wank" nearby...)

On a similar note, I taught a German boy English conversation, just before he went to an English school for 6 months. Germans are invariably polite, even if they are doing something rude! In a Government and Politics class, he said to the teacher, "yeah, but I think that's shit" (I had taught him all the other rude words that he couldn't say in front of teachers, I thought shit was obvious!). The english teacher was horrified, and said, "Floooorian, is that an appropriate word to use in your G&P lesson?". He was totally confused, so the teacher continued, "Would it be acceptable to say 'shit' in a German school?", Florian was "like, yeah, totally. That's fine!". (It is, apparently, even at a Catholic gymnasium.) I laughed so hard when he told me!

My partner's father, OTOH, is German too, and when he swears, he'll say "Scheiße!" and then apologize to me. But he'll happily say "fuck" as if it is a normal word. And I have seen furniture adverts on billboards here with stuff like "Buy everything you fucking want!" on them - even though I swear quite a lot, even *I* have to take a second look 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Zebedee said:

@OrchidBlossom Yeah, we Brits are way too fucking polite! My BFs and I usually just call each other wankers (though for me that is because it is a funny sounding word, and also German uses wanken as a verb. To mean something completely innocuous, but I still crack up when we pass the sign for the village of "Wank" nearby...)

I went to high school with someone whose last name was LIKE Wanker - but slightly different- So let's say it was Wanger. We'd call him that and my husband (Canadian) said "Why do you keep calling him a Wanker?! That's not nice." 
(in the end - he was every bit a wanker) 

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Zebedee said:

My partner's father, OTOH, is German too, and when he swears, he'll say "Scheiße!" and then apologize to me. But he'll happily say "fuck" as if it is a normal word.

German here, and can confirm. But I think that's fairly normal, isn't it? Swear words in foreign languages never carry the same weight as in your own language. Actually, I'm pretty confident that a lot of Germans use "shit" as a slightly more polite euphemism for "scheisse".
And let's not forget the lovely Austrian village named Fucking where they brew and sell a beer called Fucking Hell (Fucking light). 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I think the engagement will be announced shortly after his 18th birthday and the wedding will happen the last weekend before Claire's next birthday in January (i think)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

German here, and can confirm. But I think that's fairly normal, isn't it? Swear words in foreign languages never carry the same weight as in your own language. Actually, I'm pretty confident that a lot of Germans use "shit" as a slightly more polite euphemism for "scheisse".
And let's not forget the lovely Austrian village named Fucking where they brew and sell a beer called Fucking Hell (Fucking light). 

I think it depends on the word. I rarely swear in English but I never swear in French. To me, those swear words are waaaaaay worse. Many of them are incredibly blasphemous (at least in French Canadian French). 

• Upvote 2

People used to say shit and fuck in class at my school (Flemish in Belgium) and noone batted an eyelid. IT was a perpetual source of discomfort when a friend would say fuck in front of my mother. The other way round happened too: I couldn't bring myself to swear in English as a native speaker, but I once said verdomme at a karate class and got yelled at. THe literal translation is damn, so I didn't think it would be that bad and it just didn't feel that bad to me, but definitely held more weight!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 11/2/2020 at 2:05 AM, Italiangirl said:

I don't know. My guess is that it won't be too soon.  

I for one will try to get the show cancelled if they try to host the usual big fundie wedding while the pandemic is still on.  TLC has responsibility to at least show them pretending pandemic rules. (I know they're not social distancing off-camera.) If they do get married and have a big wedding with no social distancing, let's try to make it the maskless kiss of death for the show. 

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic