IGNORED

Justin and Claire: Woe Is Me

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Justin's daddy?  Sounds like he's two.

It's a southern thing.  I call my father "daddy" and so do most in my family and social circles.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Many people here say they even barely noticed Justin, but he was actually quite easy to spot on 19KaC, if you knew where to look, that is.

Justin sometimes sported long frontal bangs that stopped just before his eyes, unlike his brothers. 

Most notably, he was (and still is, if you look at the diaper challenge snippet from John David's dad party episode) very athletic (for Duggar standards) and very competitive. Very active, in general.

If the Duggars filmed a physical challenge where the younger boys participated, chances were that Justin was the one to win. On one episode where ice-cream was served, Justin elbowed his way to the ice-cream vat before larger siblings could reach it. Joy-Anna was very annoyed with him, but to Justin's credit he was just a kid competing for a place in the pecking order with a truckload of siblings.

Here's the ice-cream party snippet:

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

I don't exactly have the time to scour through the thread, but, has anyone else pointed out how Claire looks a lot like Jana? Like, I wonder how much the younger guys look for girls/young women like Jana - she's basically raised them and probably has a lot of things the guys have learnt to value (so yea, I don't mean any kind of freaky perversion).

That, and the addition of how similar fundies are in terms of style in the end...

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Considering that the Swansons moved to AR from GA, after their daughter married a Duggar it's not like this is a new phenomenon. Fundies admire the Duggars for being rich fundies and being on television. 

Can attest to this. Having gone to Lighthouse Baptist in years past, the majority of the members there in the last 5 years have been people who have moved from wherever else in the US to live near the Duggars. It’s like NWA is some sort of Mecca for IBLP/ATI people. It’s especially weird since most of these people have latched on (even if they’ve known them for a while) to the Duggars post-Joshgate. 

I know some people do the same with the Bates, move to Knoxville area, and join their church—but not as often as with the Duggars. 

Edited by Marionette
Initially said 3 years... Then realized it was 2020. Time flies
  • Upvote 4
  • Disgust 5
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I don't exactly have the time to scour through the thread, but, has anyone else pointed out how Claire looks a lot like Jana? Like, I wonder how much the younger guys look for girls/young women like Jana - she's basically raised them and probably has a lot of things the guys have learnt to value (so yea, I don't mean any kind of freaky perversion).

That, and the addition of how similar fundies are in terms of style in the end...

It has been discussed and debated at length.

Hillary doesn't come across as someone who is ready to let Claire leave and cleave. She's still in mama bear parenting mode.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I definitely find Claire's mum far too interfering. It's not just about her commenting on the odd post, it's what she is saying, it goes beyond just a parent looking out for her child and her child's partner. She seems like she will be an interfering mother in law and always in Justin and Claire's business if they get married. She isn't quite Jill Rod bad but if I were Justin and Claire I'd lay down some boundaries with her. 

Edited by Glasgowghirl
Correcting autocorrect error
  • Upvote 11

The Duggars are equipped for "their" world mostly. Not the regular world. Until the show ends we will have no proof how well they will do. Knowing JB, he probably has a kick ass life insurance policy. Plus I hope his sons are doing the same thing if they are planning for big families. None of them have to worry about homes because JB snatches up as many as he can. Claire's mom is probably more excited than she is.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Hard to put down boundaries against your future MIL when you are still a minor child. Another reason 17 year olds shouldn’t be getting married!

I think Claire looks a little like Anna. Also, that Tumblr mashup photo of Jana and Claire looks exactly like a young Mandy Moore. 

Also, agree with all the other posters who said these girls all look the same because they’re White and Protestant and all descended from Britain and Northern Europe. Not a lot of ethnic diversity going on. Notice it’s considered notable that Claire has brown eyes, bc that’s how homogenous these people are. Brown eyes seem unusual. 

• Upvote 21

13 hours ago, patsymae said:

True. I forgot about that.

Everyone thinks Jinger is such a stepford wife, but she's living the exact life she wants.  Living in LA, dressing how she wants,  traveling,  shopping, limiting family size, making friends.   All she has to do is shoot jeremy an adoring glare once in awhile and she's back to sipping her latte and trying on clothes. Meek like a fox i say. 

Then there's Jessa, who everyone thinks is so tough, carrying on the traditions, under JBs thumb, popping out babies on her couch.   That video where she talks about overcoming rebellion and depression?  Have some more kool-aid. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 10

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Also, agree with all the other posters who said these girls all look the same because they’re White and Protestant and all descended from Britain and Northern Europe. Not a lot of ethnic diversity going on. Notice it’s considered notable that Claire has brown eyes, bc that’s how homogenous these people are. Brown eyes seem unusual. 

I grew up in a predominantly Portuguese section of New England so dark hair and dark eyes were the norm.   I was a dark brown eyed, dirty blonde haired child and people in my neck of the woods considered that to be downright unusual.  In fact, if you asked them to describe me strictly from memory, 9 out of 10 people would tell you that I had blue eyes.  It was almost like their brains couldn't compute that someone with naturally blonde hair could have dark brown eyes.   

On the flip side, we knew a Portuguese family who relocated from our area in New England to Overland Park, KS and upon arrival and settling in, their dark haired, dark eyed children-who were a dime a dozen in their former area-were considered exotic! 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WarriorJane said:

Everyone thinks Jinger is such a stepford wife, but she's living the exact life she wants.  Living in LA, dressing how she wants,  traveling,  shopping, limiting family size, making friends.   All she has to do is shoot jeremy an adoring glare once in awhile and she's back to sipping her latte and trying on clothes. Meek like a fox i say. 

She got married in 2016.  This is her third pregnancy.  Not sure we have any clue if she is limiting her family size or not.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

She got married in 2016.  This is her third pregnancy.  Not sure we have any clue if she is limiting her family size or not.  

She wasn't pregnant for the first year they were married. It's her second child.

Jeremy said something kind of vague when they got married about limiting their family size. It was right around the time they got married and it was on the show. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he strongly hinted that they weren't quiverfull. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

How many of the Duggar boys have married oldest daughters, considering the comment about looking for Jana-like attributes? Joe, Josiah, and now Justin. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

How many of the Duggar boys have married oldest daughters, considering the comment about looking for Jana-like attributes? Joe, Josiah, and now Justin. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

Anna and Abbie are both in the middle of their families, but they're married to the two Duggar boys closest in age to Jana. Take that for what you will. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

She wasn't pregnant for the first year they were married. It's her second child.

Jeremy said something kind of vague when they got married about limiting their family size. It was right around the time they got married and it was on the show. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he strongly hinted that they weren't quiverfull. 

I believe the poster was also referring to her miscarriage last year.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

On 9/29/2020 at 11:02 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Considering that the Swansons moved to AR from GA, after their daughter married a Duggar it's not like this is a new phenomenon. Fundies admire the Duggars for being rich fundies and being on television. 

It was before she was even engaged (or officially courting), which is much weirder.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I was under the impression that the Swansons had a few bucks to their name. They may not have name recognition but I don’t think that they are on the same socioeconomic level as the Kellers,  JRods or even the Caldwells. I could totally be wrong though.

• Upvote 5

On 9/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Jinger miscarried in 2019 so shes had 3 pregnancies. Not getting pregnant in the first year of marriage doesn’t mean they’re limiting their family size. They could have easily had another miscarriage, fertility trouble or just normal spacing. You guys are giving jinger and Jeremy credit they don’t deserve yet. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I was under the impression that the Swansons had a few bucks to their name. They may not have name recognition but I don’t think that they are on the same socioeconomic level as the Kellers,  JRods or even the Caldwells. I could totally be wrong though.

As far as I know, Dwayne Swanson just ran a lawn business “ministry” in Georgia. It appears they have a really nice house here, though. I don’t know if they have any other sources of income. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Whipple said:

I know I am going to get blowback for this but I have been wanting to post something to this effect for a while and morel. People don't realize how much white people look alike without hair color. Add to that the fact White people in the South are generally of English (most), Irish, Scottish, or Central European ancestry.  

It’s all about what your are trained to notice through exposure. I had a lovely chat with an Asian waitress and at one point she explained, that she found it hard to distinguish European customers. It seems we all look the same. It was really nice because we both found the other “look” hard to distinguish and it was great to talk about that without the fear of offending.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:14 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

I definitely find Claire's mum far too interfering. It's not just about her commenting on the odd post, it's what she is saying, it goes beyond just a parent looking out for her child and her child's partner. She seems like she will be an interfering mother in law and always in Justin and Claire's business if they get married. She isn't quite Jill Rod bad but if I were Justin and Claire I'd lay down some boundaries with her. 

While I have a problem with parents that don’t respect boundaries (thankfully neither my parents nor my in laws are like that), I think it’s pretty funny that we raise an eyebrow about her and want the two to lay down boundaries. Claire and Justin will live under the control and despotism of JB and Michelle. An interfering in law is not their biggest problem. If she wouldn’t look like such a fan girl I would even think it’s good to have another invested force in your life apart from the Duggar cultists. 

• Upvote 11

Well maybe they'll move to Texas and be under her parents' control. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

It’s all about what your are trained to notice through exposure. I had a lovely chat with an Asian waitress and at one point she explained, that she found it hard to distinguish European customers. It seems we all look the same. It was really nice because we both found the other “look” hard to distinguish and it was great to talk about that without the fear of offending.

My fellow neuroscience PhD friend is actually doing her thesis work on "face blindness," provocatively called "they all look the same to me." It seems that yes, people are quantitatively much worse at distinguishing faces of different races vs their own. I'll have to catch up with her to see if they learned more as to why. 

• Upvote 13

On 10/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, neurogirl said:

My fellow neuroscience PhD friend is actually doing her thesis work on "face blindness," provocatively called "they all look the same to me." It seems that yes, people are quantitatively much worse at distinguishing faces of different races vs their own. I'll have to catch up with her to see if they learned more as to why. 

That sounds like an interesting topic.  I've read that different ethnicities look at different "markers" for differentiating between people, usually ones that vary more among their group.  For example, white people look more at eye color since that varies more for them. 

• Upvote 7

it's  definitely been proven that people are more likely to have problems with cross-racial face recognition. I checked wiki and interestingly they say people are also better at identifying within their age group and gender, and that being aware of the cross-racial effect can reduce it.

I have trouble recognizing black women that I know. I've come in on a Monday and not recognized someone I've know for years and it seems to be because I differentiate women a lot based on their hair and sometimes black women will go from one hairstyle to a drastically different one overnight. Usually within a few moments my brain catches up but it's always awkward for me for a bit. I once reintroduced myself to my team lead after a weekend where she went from a bob to a long beachy waves look. embarrassing af.

Eta: it also takes me time to warm up to my husband after a haircut. He just looks too different to me. 

Edited by Kelsey
More info
  • Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic