IGNORED

Dillards 86: It's a Long Way to Tipperary

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

You can reverse a tubal, too. I know someone who had it done. She'd been told to expect that it was permanent, etc, but she did wind up having two kids after this..

When I first went on the pill, I took them at night, and yep.. Barfed every morning.. for several weeks. I was in my OB rotation for nursing school, and my patient, recovering from her child's birth, saw me barf and asked when my baby was due.. My instructor was not amused..

ugh.  You were tougher than i was. I dont think i made it full 2 weeks.  Women go through so damn much ?Did you eventually stop barfing or did you switch bc?

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

ugh.  You were tougher than i was. I dont think i made it full 2 weeks.  Women go through so damn much ?Did you eventually stop barfing or did you switch bc?

First my boobs got big and rock hard, (that HURT!) and the barfing lasted about a month.. I think I started taking the pill in the morning right before breakfast.. but I did change pill type as well at some point.

• Love 5

On 10/6/2020 at 3:48 PM, JesSky03 said:

Haha I've mentioned it before but my dad is kind of a Michael Scott of vasectomies. He had 3 kids with his first wife, got snipped, met my mom- had it reversed and had two more (all girls btw), and then went and got re-snipped ?. I like to think I am some kind of miracle baby with all the snipping and unsnipping and my mom having pcos and needing fertility drugs to get pregnant ?

This is my husband as well. Had three kids with his ex, got a vasectomy. Divorced, met me, had a reversal. Had daughter #one, and another reversal for daughter #2 as scar tissue blocked it. After daughter #2 I kept getting pregnant and he had to have a vasectomy again. 

• Upvote 5

Just saw that Jill was at Johannah's bday lunch with her sisters and Michelle.  The only person that she hasn't been pictured with in the past 2 yrs is Jimbo. 

• Upvote 17

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Just saw that Jill was at Johannah's bday lunch with her sisters and Michelle.  The only person that she hasn't been pictured with in the past 2 yrs is Jimbo. 

That is so sad. Poor Jill. I'm glad she's in therapy because going from Daddy's favorite to pariah must be awful

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 5

14 minutes ago, Grace said:

That is so sad. Poor Jill. I'm glad she's in therapy because going from Daddy's favorite to pariah must be awful

Even if she wasn't shunned by Daddy, she would still need therapy.   Those kids were all raised in a effed-up family and IMHO need it especially in light of Joshgate 1.0.

That said, it has to be hard.  I can relate because the minute I started making my own choices, I went from the wonderful daughter my parents were so proud of to a disappointment because I was not making the exact choices they wanted me to.  And my life choices were hardly radical.   In the grand scheme of things (as opposed to her family's) Jill's choices aren't either but even non-fundie parents can have unrealistic expectations and can't cope when their adult child makes decisions that differs from that.   Most parents learn to adjust especially once they realize that they are risking their relationship with the adult child, but seems that JB is not one who is willing to do that.  

I am glad she's in therapy as it will go a long way in unpacking all the baggage from her upbringing and learning how to cope with family members, especially a parent, who are upset with how she chooses to live her life.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 10/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, mpheels said:

There are so many WTF moments in the story, but I just wanted to say that it’s ridiculous that a person has to have their spouses permission to get a vasectomy. Bodily autonomy is bodily autonomy, and no adult should have to get permission from another adult, spouse or otherwise, before having a vasectomy or having their tubes tied.  Ideally, in a healthy respectful relationship, both parties would discuss surgical sterilization ahead of time and no one would seek an intervention that their partner does not support, but that really isn’t any of the doctor’s business. And no, a person should not be able to sue a doctor because the doctor performed surgical sterilization on their spouse without “permission.”

I'm guessing the "spousal permission" rule came about because a significant number of spouses were not communicating! I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea if this could come back on the doctor but I can definitely see Drs not wanting the drama. 

10 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Even if she wasn't shunned by Daddy, she would still need therapy.   Those kids were all raised in a effed-up family and IMHO need it especially in light of Joshgate 1.0.

That said, it has to be hard.  I can relate because the minute I started making my own choices, I went from the wonderful daughter my parents were so proud of to a disappointment because I was not making the exact choices they wanted me to.  And my life choices were hardly radical.   In the grand scheme of things (as opposed to her family's) Jill's choices aren't either but even non-fundie parents can have unrealistic expectations and can't cope when their adult child makes decisions that differs from that.   Most parents learn to adjust especially once they realize that they are risking their relationship with the adult child, but seems that JB is not one who is willing to do that.  

I am glad she's in therapy as it will go a long way in unpacking all the baggage from her upbringing and learning how to cope with family members, especially a parent, who are upset with how she chooses to live her life.

Jill's body language in TBE picture Michelle posted was very closed off. She didn't look comfortable. Therapy is certainly helping, but she isn't all the way there yet. 

• Upvote 7

Jill just posted a picture of Israel with a dinosaur picture and called him a paleontologist. 

Real question: is this showing them potentially moving away from young earth creationism or is dinosaurs and such not a conflict? (It seems to me a conflict but I have a different worldview)

• Upvote 21

4 minutes ago, KeepingChrysanthemum said:

Jill just posted a picture of Israel with a dinosaur picture and called him a paleontologist. 

Real question: is this showing them potentially moving away from young earth creationism or is dinosaurs and such not a conflict? (It seems to me a conflict but I have a different worldview)

It’s a promising sign at least. I’m sure the young earth creationists also have their versions of paleontologists who then tell them about how dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time at some point.
Still, Jill seems to gradually change her perspective on multiple issues and I bet Izzy and Sam will attend college in the future. That’s great in and of itself.  

• Upvote 17

I knew a very religious Christian who believed there had never been dinosaurs on Earth, but the dinosaur bones were placed on Earth by God for a bit of fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 27
  • I Agree 1

I think Jill can let her son have some fun and then tell them it’s just pretend and not a real science. 

2 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I knew a very religious Christian who believed there had never been dinosaurs on Earth, but the dinosaur bones were placed on Earth by God for a bit of fun.

Me too. I also knew a dr (md) who believed dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, KeepingChrysanthemum said:

Answers in Genesis, a young earth creationist business a lot of young earthers use for “proof” teaches dinosaurs and humans walked the earth together. 

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/

Edited by Giraffe
Adding link
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 3

14 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I kind of love that answer? No convoluted explanation, just 'God's fucking with us'.

I'm pretty sure the Duggars believe that Dinosaurs and people coexisted. There's an episode of the show where they go to a creation museum (Ken Ham's?) and I think it had displays of like, people riding dinosaurs, dinosaurs on Noah's Ark and so on.

Okay, someone's clipped it on youtube. The show doesn't really film this kind of stuff much any more and it was interesting to have that flashback . It seems unlikely to me that Jill would be telling Israel his teacher is wrong and lying to him - mostly because I think it would be ineffective in the long run, which is why fundies homeschool. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 4

Aaaah, that clip! I forgot about Figure 8 doing “man on the street” interviews in Carrboro. For those who aren’t familiar, Figure 8 production headquarters is in Carrboro, NC, possibly one of the most liberal towns in the US. Super crunchy, granola, college-town-adjacent, very free spirited, and decidedly not fundamentalist in any way. Those reaction interviews were filmed at Weaver Street Market, the local co-op grocery store. I’ve always had a hard time rationalizing Figure 8’s validation of fundamentalist Christianity with their base in Carrboro. I used to live down the street from that market, and at the time those interviews were filmed the police chief was a lesbian, the mayor a gay man, and there was a black trans woman running for town council. I had friends who lived on a legitimate commune. I can’t figure out what the figure 8 producers actually believe.

• Upvote 20

Is it bad that the first thing I think of when I read/see/hear paleontologist is Ross from Friends? 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 18
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, mpheels said:

Aaaah, that clip! I forgot about Figure 8 doing “man on the street” interviews in Carrboro. For those who aren’t familiar, Figure 8 production headquarters is in Carrboro, NC, possibly one of the most liberal towns in the US. Super crunchy, granola, college-town-adjacent, very free spirited, and decidedly not fundamentalist in any way. Those reaction interviews were filmed at Weaver Street Market, the local co-op grocery store. I’ve always had a hard time rationalizing Figure 8’s validation of fundamentalist Christianity with their base in Carrboro. I used to live down the street from that market, and at the time those interviews were filmed the police chief was a lesbian, the mayor a gay man, and there was a black trans woman running for town council. I had friends who lived on a legitimate commune. I can’t figure out what the figure 8 producers actually believe.

I knew you were a Tar Heel! ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@mpheels @marmalade omg Weaver Street! I had NO idea about Figure 8 being in Carrboro, that IS a mind fuck! After graduation almost a decade ago, and not having been back in several years, I brought my husband to UNC for the first time last summer. We actually stayed in a little Air BnB above the bicycle shop in Carrboro and Weaver Street for brunch was on my *must dos*. He obviously loved it, and even as recently as this week mentioned that little place we went for brunch in the community. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

When my nephew took a fossil for show and tell at his Evangelical Free church, he was chided for saying that it was millions of years old. Because of course the earth is only 7000 or so years old. Fossils carbon date older as a test of our faith. If God tested Adam and Eve with the fruit tree, why wouldn't he test us?

This was years ago, before my sister went full-on fundie. In addition to believing dinosaurs were on Noah's ark, she has a brilliant explanation for why there is no geological evidence of a worldwide flood. The flood, you see, happened when all the continents were the single continent of Pangea. How and why this makes a difference, I have no clue.

You can't make this shit up. But apparently you can.

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

...The flood, you see, happened when all the continents were the single continent of Pangea...

I was taught this. Noah’s flood was said to be the reason we now have continents and islands. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2

I almost never comment on Duggar boards because they are usually just a lot of the same thing - courtships babies etc. but I came because of Jill’s post about being somewhat estranged from her family. I was surprised to see that it hasn’t caused too much of a buzz here though. Why is that? I thought a Duggar breaking off would be freejinger headlines of the highest degree. 

One of my aunts believes in creationism. She told me that the dinosaurs really existed but were drowned in the flood because they weren't supposed to be on the arch.

I was on the phone with her when she told me. Which was good because she couldn't see me grimacing and "face palming" (again and again and again). 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Freejin said:

I almost never comment on Duggar boards because they are usually just a lot of the same thing - courtships babies etc. but I came because of Jill’s post about being somewhat estranged from her family. I was surprised to see that it hasn’t caused too much of a buzz here though. Why is that? I thought a Duggar breaking off would be freejinger headlines of the highest degree. 

We discussed it a bit after the Q&A videos went up. It’s been brewing for quite a while so I don’t think the shock value was as huge. 

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Freejin said:

Did she make a new post talking about it? I can't find it :( We have discussed it quite a bit in general but it's further back in multiple threads - like the above poster said, it's been going on for a long time. I don't think she's been pictured with Jim Bob in maybe years?

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked this topic