• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyhoundFan

• fraurosena

• ADoyle90815

• WiseGirl

image.png.027e9704a53fcc3e9a24ab981b0713e5.png

"Notorious"

In 2016, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, said, “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

McConnell was talking about the vacancy created by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. There were nine months to go before the next election, but damned if he was going to do his constitutional duty and vote on the the president’s SCOTUS nominee. He didn’t even give Merrick Garland, the nominee, a hearing.

Now, with the passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and with a mere 45 days until the next election, McConnell is determined to hold a vote for Donald Trump’s nominee.

The American people did have a voice in Scalia’s replacement as they elected President Obama for eight full years, not seven years and one month. In fact, President Obama won the popular vote both times. When McConnell stole that nomination from President Obama, he gave it to a man the majority of the nation rejected.

Now, McConnell’s argument to vote on RBG’s replacement is that the American public elected Trump and his agenda (like they did for Obama…but they didn’t actually for Trump), and then they not only kept Republicans in charge of the Senate in 2018, they also increased their majority.

The thing is though, the American people wanted Democrats to control the Senate. Democratic senate candidates received 12 million more votes than Republican senate candidates. Unfortunately, we allot two senators per state. That means 40 million Californians only have two U.S. senators, while 40 million other Americans (from 22 states) have 44 senators. Fair? No, which brings us back to McConnell, that lying, sleazy, squirmy, wormy Moscow sonofabitch.

McConnell doesn’t care if he’s a hypocrite. He doesn’t care that he fails to meet his own requirement as the American people rejected Trump in 2016 and 2018. They’ll reject him again in 2020. In the past four years, two justices were placed on the court the majority of the nation didn’t want.

McConnell says the American people should have a voice in the next selection. Then do it. Use your voice. Shout that worm down.

I am a hard core radical when it comes to Trump’s court nominees. Since Donald Trump wasn’t elected and was aided by a foreign nation…and helped during this election, which he asked for because he’s a criminal…then I believe every single one of his nominees should be tossed, impeached, removed, sent home, cut off, no pensions, unemployable, set adrift on a raft to find an island somewhere…just get out of here. Hey, it’s not like I’m suggesting we set them on fire.

God speed, RBG. She served her nation well and in a historic fashion. Just like the stellar Thurgood Marshall was replaced with a wingnut like Clarence Thomas, who didn’t deserve to stand in Marshall’s shadow less enough take his seat, I’m certain Donald Trump and McConnell will replace RBG with a fucknut of their one who pales in comparison.

Can the GOP replace RBG before the election? Doubtful. But they can do it before Joe Biden is sworn in.

When Republicans stole the nomination from President Obama, they dared us to hold them to their word. Now, they’re all like, “word?”.

Republicans like McConnell and Trump don’t care about being hypocrites. They don’t care about being honest. They don’t care about the Constitution. But know this: We never have to believe anything they ever say ever again. Not that we weren’t already doing that.

If you’re down and depressed over this, I can’t make you feel better; I am distraught, too. The shitweasels are having their way over the will of the rest of the nation.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

image.png.e6b9931df0cf41f37b6aae72ea148cad.png

"Cold Blooded"

Republicans made a hard case denying President Barack Obama appointing his nominee, Merrick Garland, to the Supreme Court in 2016. There were nine months left before the election. Now, there’s less than two. So, what did they say back in 2016?

“It is important for the Senate to give the people a voice in the filling of this vacancy by waiting until the next president takes office.” Mitch McConnell, a Republican. And, we don’t know if Donald Trump will be president next year, so why the rush?

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, ‘Let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'” Lindsey Graham, a Republican.

“I would not have a hearing on it because that’s what I promised the people in 2016.” Chuck Grassley, a Republican.

“I don’t think we should be moving forward on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term. I would say that if it was a Republican president.” Marco Rubio, a Republican.

“I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision.” Cory Gardner, a Republican.

“We will see what the people say this fall and our next president, regardless of party, will be making that nomination.” Joni Ernst, a Republican.

“The campaign is already under way. It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next president.” Thom Tillis, a Republican.

“I believe the American people deserve to have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court Justice, and the best way to ensure that happens is to have the Senate consider a nomination made by the next President.” John Cornyn, a Republican.

“It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.” Ted Cruz, a Republican. Also, he was lying. There had been six election-year vacancies filled in that time period.

“Since the next presidential election is already underway, the next president should make this lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.” John Thune, a Republican.

“I will do everything in my power to encourage the President and Senate leadership not to start this process until we hear from the American people.” David Perdue, a Republican.

“Instead of a lame duck president and Senate nominating and confirming, a new president and Senate — elected by the people only a few months from now — should make that important decision. I can’t think of a fairer or more democratic process.” Ron Johnson, a Republican.

With that last quote, we don’t know if Donald Trump is a lame duck…or will be after November 3rd. We don’t know if the Senate Republicans will all be lame ducks. So, why allow an impeached president who the American people just rejected, give someone a lifetime appointment confirmed by a rejected Senate?

“I believe  the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations.” Rob Portman, a Republican.

“It’s called delay, delay, delay.” Donald Trump, a Republican.

Here’s the thing, kids: The reason there’s a rush to nominate and confirm now is because Donald Trump probably won’t be reelected. So all that shit they said about the American people having a voice was just that. Bullshit.

You can’t trust Republicans.

• I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

image.png.2cc0332d6d452f4fa727bd2ec350921c.png

"Republican Hypocrites"

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”

That was Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in 2016 after the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia left a vacancy. If you were unsure if McConnell was full of shit then, today’s actions by him and his GOP colleagues confirms it.

The Republican argument in having a new position is that now, the president (sic) and Senate are of the same party. But, that doesn’t change the fact there is an election in 43 days. That doesn’t change the fact we can have a new president and even a new Senate in January.

The fact of the matter is, Mitch McConnell, Donald Trump, and the Republican Party don’t care about being hypocrites. They never had integrity or a sense of fairness. The only reason they bark out some stupid bullshit about the president (sic) and Senate being the same party now, something they didn’t stipulate in 2016, is because they need some bullshit. I mean, they can’t just come out and say it’s a power grab and they don’t care. They can’t admit they’re hypocrites.

If they had to, they’d create some new crap like there’s a exception for a president with a bad combover.

McConnell was on Sean Hannity’s show fairly recently where Hannity praised Trump for being so much better than President Obama at nominating judges. McConnell actually corrected him and said Obama was good at nominating, but that he, McConnell, was good at blocking them. Then McConnell let out a sick giggle.

Republicans don’t care about decency, fairness, or integrity. They definitely don’t care about the Constitution. And hey, when it’s all said and done, the court may not matter if we’re in a fascist system.

But, they’re rushing to fill this seat because the argument they clung to in 2016 may be true this year. Donald Trump may be rejected by the American people again, but this time, tossed out of office. The United States Senate may be in Democratic control. The fact the Republicans are forcing this vote on a new justice, before the election or the end of the year, is because it’s a power grab. It’s because they’re afraid the people will have a say.

In fact, a new poll shows that 62 percent of Americans want the confirmation to wait. Maybe America feels kinda weird about an impeached president making lifetime appointments to the highest court in the nation.

When McConnell made the statement about Americans having a say in their next Supreme Court Justice, he said, “THEIR” Supreme Court Justice. He was momentarily correct in that the seat belongs to us, not to the Republican or Democratic Party. They’re playing politics with our lives for the next forty years. In a few months, their politics may mean an end to legal abortion. It may mean an end to healthcare coverage for millions of Americans.

I can change my positions too. I was against adding new seats to the court. Now, I’m for it. If the Republicans are going to steal seats from Democrats and refuse to play by their own rules, and a stupid, racist president who is a tool of Russia can’t nominate anyone who can garner 60 votes, then let’s do some power grabbing of our own. Increase the number of seats and while we’re at it, let’s make Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico states. That’ll give Democrats four more Senate seats.

What’s good for the goose is good for the hypocritical gander.

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic