IGNORED

Evangelical Brazilian Singer/Politician Arrested for Killing Husband

Ozlsn

I came across this on Facebook and decided to look further. A popular evangelical singer turned politican was arrested for the murder of her husband, sending Brazil's gossip sites into a frenzy.

It's a bit of a bizarre story - among the main points are that the murdered husband was originally her daughter's boyfriend, they had 55 kids (a mix of biological and adopted), the kids allegedly ended up in an "A" team (biological) who did pretty well and a "B" team who were treated less well, there are allegations that the couple were at swingers venues, and that the motive for murder was that he was going to seek a divorce and 50% of the (quite large) family fortune. 

At least five children and a grandchild have also been arrested in relation to the murder, which was carried out by a hit man after another alleged murder attempt to poison him with cyanide failed. 

I am awaiting new developments (and hopefully a dramatized telemovie and some true crime novels) with anticipation.

More background in this link.

Edited by Coconut Flan
New link.
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I came across this on Facebook and decided to look further. A popular evangelical singer turned politican was arrested for the murder of her husband, sending Brazil's gossip sites into a frenzy.

It's a bit of a bizarre story - among the main points are that the murdered husband was originally her daughter's boyfriend, they had 55 kids (a mix of biological and adopted),

Typo?  55 kids, not 15?  How and why would someone try to get 55 kids, and why were they allowed to adopt so many?  It has to be obvious that no couple can raise such a large number, even with a lot of hired help.

• I Agree 5

3 hours ago, Flossie said:

Typo?  55 kids, not 15?  How and why would someone try to get 55 kids, and why were they allowed to adopt so many?  It has to be obvious that no couple can raise such a large number, even with a lot of hired help.

Perhaps they were actually running a shelter for throwaway children, and calling it "adoption." 

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, quite a few holier-than-thou people are exposed as not being quite as godly as they seemed. So while I didn’t know the singer and her case before you mentioned her, @Ozlsn, this story doesn’t seem all that surprising: far too many children, a career based on a deeply religious reputation, lots of money... there gotta be skeletons (real or proverbial ones) in the closet.   

• Upvote 2

How I heard it: The husband she murdered was adopted by her. The adopted son turned husband was dating his adopted sister before he married his adoptive mother. Then she murdered him because she didn’t want to divorce him. It’s so fucked up. Maybe it wasn’t a legal adoption. But I believe she acted as his adoptive mother before she married him.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • WTF 6
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Flossie said:

There are allegations (I'm being very careful with language here) that as well as adopting homeless street kids some kids may in fact have been removed from their families. There are also allegations from one child that there was a "family initiation ritual" which involved sexual abuse. Either way, 55 kids is a bit of a major flag - as you say, there is no way that that is a family, it's an institution. The adoptions seem to have been somewhat informal, at least for the B kids.

7 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Unfortunately, quite a few holier-than-thou people are exposed as not being quite as godly as they seemed. So while I didn’t know the singer and her case before you mentioned her, @Ozlsn, this story doesn’t seem all that surprising: far too many children, a career based on a deeply religious reputation, lots of money... there gotta be skeletons (real or proverbial ones) in the closet.   

Starting with the murdered husband was apparently 14 when he became her adopted son, who then started dating his adopted sister before marrying his adopted mother - and she was still so well known for her good deeds they made a film about her!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

23 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Starting with the murdered husband was apparently 14 when he became her adopted son, who then started dating his adopted sister before marrying his adopted mother - and she was still so well known for her good deeds they made a film about her!!

What I want to understand is how she explained away marrying her adoptive son. I know he may not have been formally adopted, but he had been with her since he was 14. Even if she did a ton of good deeds, didn’t people see that as a red flag? Or did she cover it up completely and it only came out later? 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 3