IGNORED

Gender Reveal Starts Wildfire

Howl

So a couple of morons are having a baby?  Gee, just what we needed!

• I Agree 6

Wtf with these elaborate reveals. Go back to coloring the cake instead.  Idiots.

Side note, I loved how my colleagues decided to not learn of the sex before the birth of their child. Nursery is a neutral jungle theme, pale colors. They thought for sure they were having a boy. Nope a bouncing baby girl just joined the world. 

Edited by WiseGirl
Spelling is hard
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

It's too bad people feel the need to enforce gender roles so badly that they have to find out by ultrasound, and even have gift grabs, I mean parties to announce the genitalia of their fetus. I guess waiting for the doctor to announce "It's a boy" or "It's a girl" is seen as a bad thing these days, as nobody seems to like surprises anymore. I'm just glad that my brother and SIL decided not to find out until my niece was born, as it made everything fun again.

At the very least, what's so bad about having a cake with food coloring that the couple cuts into, or opening a box of balloons?

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Was it a boy or a girl? I'm dying to know!

Call me old school, but I cannot grasp the concept of gender reveal parties.  It's not like there are five options. Pink, blue, yawn.  Your guests may pretend to be excited, but most of us aren't.

Besides, your kid may decide not to accept his/her assigned gender, and you'll have ended up burning down an entire forest for nothing.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I'd call the parents to be fucking idiots but as you all know that's insulting to fucking idiots. 

With my brother and sister in law they didn't want to know beforehand if I would be winding up with a niece or nephew.  Even if they did want to know beforehand they wouldn't do something so fucking stupid.  I'm glad they didn't do anything that stupid and just announced the baby by putting Baby for upcoming stuff on my brother's home brew menu board. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Howl said:

More gender reveal idiocy with a disastrous outcome. 

Just curious - is there a ban on pyrotechnical devices during certain times in that area? We have regular total fire ban days when lighting fires or using anything that generates sparks outside is banned for a set period (usually 24hr, but if you have several in a row obviously it adds up). Even then you will usually have at least one idiot use an angle grinder and start a fire because they didn't read the actual information and thought it was just not lighting fires. If it's hot and dry enough that a fire can be started by these kind of things it's really weird to me that people wouldn't think twice about using them. 

We found out with our baby partly by accident - the ultrasound tech paused and said "Did you want to know the sex?" We looked up at the screen and went, OK, we know! Then we just told people if they asked, or didn't if they didn't.

• Upvote 1

As my daughter said, it's a surprise when you find out the sex of the baby whether it's at 3 months, 5 months, or 9 months.  It's still new information to you.  

Red flag warning:  A Red Flag Warning is issued for weather events which may result in extreme fire behavior that will occur within 24 hours. A Fire Weather Watch is issued when weather conditions could exist in the next 12-72 hours. A Red Flag Warning is the highest alert. During these times extreme caution is urged by all residents, because a simple spark can cause a major wildfire. A Fire Weather Watch is one level below a warning, but fire danger is still high. 

We were under a Red Flag Warning at the time.  I would say setting off anything with a remote chance of a spark would be irresponsible.  

I know a neighbor of mine got a hefty fine for having a fire in his backyard during a red flag warning.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I have no idea if the fire is related (I live on the opposite side of the state from San Bernadino) but this was the sky outside this morning, like 10am.

image0.thumb.jpeg.b7535255ee262d96b632ca462d2e3f33.jpeg

It's gotten a little brighter now, though still just as orange. It's like someone put a sepia filter on all my windows.

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

It was worse than that in Glendora.  There was a snowfall of ash.  I drove home, south, and there was smoke the entire drive.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4

If you must do it do it in a way that doesn't put people and animal's lives in danger. Cutting a cake or opening a box with blue or pink items in it may not be elaborate but it does the job. The flairs, balloons and piñatas generate a lot waste outdoors and are horrible for the environment. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

This level of idiocy puts Jill's gender[sic] reveal party in the hospital cafeteria into BEC category.

It's one for the baby book, though, in the section Mommy and Daddy can't help you with college expenses because _________________________. 

The CBP agent who started a wildfire in Arizona a few years ago by shooting into a target loaded with explosives and packets of blue powder has an 8.1 million fine hanging over his head. Because the El Dorado fire is still not contained, costs can't be determined but so far they have exceeded the costs associated with the total for all the BLM protests since George Floyd's death.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

I really don't get the need for pyro for a gender/sex/whatever reveal. I understand being excited to find out and wanting to do it in a fun way, but really - be safe. Duh. 

I did however see the cutest gender reveal a few weeks ago on YouTube. A gaming YouTuber and his wife did theirs in Animal Crossing! A friend of theirs who also plays was given the info, and they visited her island to watch the Sunday evening fireworks that the game had during August. You could create custom fireworks, so their friend had a space set out for them to watch and had the sex announced with the in-game fireworks. It was adorable, nobody got hurt, no property got damaged, nobody caught COVID, and they have the video to keep now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

On 9/11/2020 at 2:41 AM, Black Aliss said:

The CBP agent who started a wildfire in Arizona a few years ago by shooting into a target loaded with explosives and packets of blue powder has an 8.1 million fine hanging over his head. Because the El Dorado fire is still not contained,

Holy crap, I don't think I was aware that that was still going. That's insane.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Holy crap, I don't think I was aware that that was still going. That's insane.

It's hard to keep up what with So Many wildfires, but yeah, as of today it was only 31% contained but windy conditions today were not expected to make things any better. It's actually reburning areas that burned in 2014.

• Thank You 1

Gender reveals are just another excuse for more consumerism.  I do feel badly for those affected by the massive wildfire that was started from this.  

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Gender reveals are just another excuse for more consumerism.  I do feel badly for those affected by the massive wildfire that was started from this.  

This, my next door neighbour had one a couple weeks ago where it was just them and a few extended family members in her garden popping the balloon and then they had a barbecue, they often did this at weekends anyway. I have no issues with it being a small thing and it being without gifts or having one with gifts instead of a baby shower but having both is tacky and especially if you have already had children. 

• I Agree 1

• 5 months later...

It the last two weeks, two men have been killed at Gender reveal parties. Here in Michigan, A guest was killed a couple of weeks ago, Now I guess an expectant father was killed at one in NY over the weekend. It's probably good that the Bates and Duggars have their gender reveal filmed. I can imagine how much more elaborate and dangerous they would get without TLC and UP. 

• Sad 4
  • Eyeroll 1

I almost hate to think of what Jill Rodrigues  is going to do for her grandchild's gender reveal at this point, besides do another big Facebook announcement. Anywhere from Ohio to Florida should be hiding all explosives at this point.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 4

On February 10th I posted a link to the "Babylon Bee" article about Jim Bob becoming the "richest man alive" based upon the per child stimulus checks in a new topic.  It was moved to this thread, so continuing in that vein... I searched and found no reference to this late news story:

https://wreg.com/news/father-to-be-killed-when-gender-reveal-device-explodes

These "gender reveal" stunts have REALLY gotten out of hand.  First the one a few months ago triggering wildfires in California.  Now this.  It was only a matter of time before some fool blew himself up trying to outdo his friends.  The Duggars have already pulled some pretty stupid stunts with these things.  They should take a lesson from this story.

Edited by watchdog
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 2