IGNORED

Maxwell 42: The Young and the Vestless

Coconut Flan

@moreorlessnu,  I’ve left my oven racks in the oven while running the self-clean cycle and it just makes the racks a little harder to pull out.  I don’t know about fancy easy-to-pull out racks though.  I’ve got some of those easy glide racks on my new ovens but I am going to try to not use self-clean.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I asked my 17-year-old how old Jesse looks. 

"Mom, I hate that question."

"Okay, he's obviously not 15, or 60.  So just guess." 

"I really don't know, Mom."

"Just guess, child." 

"Okay, fine.  30? 40? There."

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:00 AM, Babysitter said:

4 months and they might just get the wedding photos up, so speedy. 

Seriously, what is the delay with them? I wonder if they subconsciously blame Anna for two of their beloved good sons/brothers moving away and leaving them and their perfect family where they all love each other and spend time together, so unlike the heathen families they've been told about. 

They probably are peeved and this is their way of showing it. Jesse was first to leave the family block. He went against everything they’ve preached about.

On 9/22/2020 at 5:45 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think the wedding wasn't as social distanced as we thought and they're worried about what their loyal audience will think. 

I was really surprised there weren't more comments on the Joe's moving post. It's sign of success that Joe was able to move and yet only 2 people commented. (Teri replied to them and one replied back.) Either the block isn't that popular or their fans are disappointed that Joe moved away.

Yeah but remember how Teri made a post about Jesse moving to the apartment, clearly indicating that it was such an unusual idea and reading between the lines, she wasn’t impressed. All the messages were supportive and she got a bit defensive in her replies. There were probably more comments made but they haven’t approved them, this is against what they’ve preached. They don’t want mass support for this idea.

All the children wearing bibs in the wedding photos are way to old to wear bibs. I would support covering special dresses / shirts with a napkin on occasions like this but a bib? No. We started removing those at the daycare I worked at from age two.

I realised I wrote this post a couple of days back and never pressed submit! 

• Upvote 15

21 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I meant that the pictures looked cold, not the people. It was a wedding, a supposed joyful day, but the photographers were unable to catch that. 

Regarding Anna and Jesse, I meant they look older in the pictures, comparing to their normal appearances. They look 100 times better in their blog pictures. IMO, as the wedding is not happening again, it's sad they haven't better pictures.

My wedding pictures turned out terrible. It was an expensive photographer with a great portfolio, but now I swear that someone else must have taken the portfolio pictures. Everything was off center and I looked horrid. The videographer was good though.

in any case, it’s bothered me throughout 11 years of marriage. Petty and superficial, but I wanted one nice photo of DH and I.

We recently had a really difficult time in our marriage and actually had seperation paperwork signed.  It’s a long story, but we are together and more in love than before.  Maybe because we got counseling and talked and worked through some of the fundie marriage ideas we grew up with. It’s a long story, but tonight we are redoing our wedding photos.

Long story; but I hope Anna doesn’t hate those photos or has the opportunity to get new ones.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 33

The pictures are fine: nothing special but not as horrible as they’ve been in the past. What they are missing is a sense of love or spontaneity: no one looks comfortable or like  they are having fun. I did wedding photography for years and the best pictures are those in-between moments that you capture between people, like a secret smile or a stolen kiss. There’s none of that in this batch. It’s all very sterile and workmanlike.

Edited by deborahlynn1979
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, ophelia said:

IMHO one of the worst wedding gowns in a long time. Even Anna Duggar's T-Shirt-Dress was better fitting. 

BUT I do somewhat like the bridesmaids dresses, especially the color. 

I think they are a cute couple that gives me some nerdy vibes. The photos really don't pay them any credit and make them look weird.

The dress was BAD. I hope that Anna chose it herself because she liked it, not because of modesty. She's not a very large person, and that dress is at least two sizes too large. Speaking as a woman who struggles to gain weight, wearing clothes that are that oversized overwhelms your body so much that it starts to make you look sickly. Wearing your proper size actually draws LESS attention to your body, because you're not swimming in your clothes.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@moreorlessnu,  I’ve left my oven racks in the oven while running the self-clean cycle and it just makes the racks a little harder to pull out.  I don’t know about fancy easy-to-pull out racks though.  I’ve got some of those easy glide racks on my new ovens but I am going to try to not use self-clean.

I have a 9-yo gas stove that I a-dore but the plastic covering the digital information / control panel on the back portion had become very warped to the point that it was difficult to set the timer, etc.  The appliance repairman cautioned me to run the vent fan at top speed when I was baking anything or cooking at high temps on the surface, and never to use the self-clean cycle if I could help it, lest the new panel be damaged again; way too much heat.  Just my experience.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Joe Pukepail said:

The dress was BAD. I hope that Anna chose it herself because she liked it, not because of modesty. She's not a very large person, and that dress is at least two sizes too large. Speaking as a woman who struggles to gain weight, wearing clothes that are that oversized overwhelms your body so much that it starts to make you look sickly. Wearing your proper size actually draws LESS attention to your body, because you're not swimming in your clothes.

I've always found too-big clothes to be really uncomfortable, as well. And she looks uncomfortable. 

It's just my personal preference - obviously if she needs them and can't wear contacts or doesn't want to, she shouldn't, it's her eyes - but I hate that she wore glasses. Combined with her hair, it gives ME the impression that she just woke up, tossed on a dress, and threw the glasses on to cover up the lack of make-up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12
  • WTF 2

So Jesse can wear his glasses and it’s okay, but Anna wears hers and it’s sloppy. You can miss me all day with that. I wore my glasses for my wedding; they are part of who I am. She looks FINE. And if she chose not to wear makeup (which I don’t think she did), that’s fine as well. What she wore isn’t my style but she doesn’t look strange.

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 6

7 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I asked my 17-year-old how old Jesse looks. 

"Mom, I hate that question."

"Okay, he's obviously not 15, or 60.  So just guess." 

"I really don't know, Mom."

"Just guess, child." 

"Okay, fine.  30? 40? There."

If you showed me the grooms portrait of Jesse and told me he was 45, I would believe you.

• Upvote 7
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 1

It might be a local thing, but bodies lying in state in funeral homes on occasion are wearing the eyeglasses they wore in life. The deceased or their survivors apparently decided that was the way people would remember them, and how they looked in life.

(It just occurred to me that were my body to be laid out, my reading glasses could be perched atop my head and that’s how people would remember me in my natural state! Hm! Almost enough to make me change my mind about my arrangements. But enough of that jolly topic.)

So Anna and Jesse wearing their eyeglasses doesn’t faze me.  Well.... I *did* think, “Ooh, that couple are an optometrist’s dream! Two to one, all their kids will wear glasses, too!” 

Anna looks comfortable to me but that’s probably because the snapshots that were posted soon after the nuptials imprinted on my mind.  I haven’t studied Christopher’s photos because they are deadly dull.

I also think her dress looks fine. Some people enjoy clothes that fit loosely. Might have mentioned that I’ve lost about 60# and a couple of friends have fussed at me that I’m “not showing it off” because my 3-sizes-smaller clothes are still cargo pants, “pajama pants” and the occasional gored skirt. 

I’ve always preferred loose-fitting garments. Anna might be the same. 

• Upvote 14

47 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

So Jesse can wear his glasses and it’s okay, but Anna wears hers and it’s sloppy. You can miss me all day with that. I wore my glasses for my wedding; they are part of who I am. She looks FINE. And if she chose not to wear makeup (which I don’t think she did), that’s fine as well. What she wore isn’t my style but she doesn’t look strange.

Both their glasses are awful, IMO; they look like welder's glasses.  Which is more remarkable on a not stereotypically "feminine" face.  Given that the rest of their attire is otherwise clearly marked as traditionally gendered, it's strange that they wouldn't consider the visual effect (and certainly the overall effect of no makeup, hair up so at a distance it could be a guy, shapeless dress, dark heavy frames).  If they don't care, then hey! Have at 'er.  But we're allowed to comment on how it looks.  That's the whole point of discussing wedding pictures.  Downvote if you really need to, it's cool.

• Upvote 5
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 12
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

..I did not know we are supposed to remove the racks... How did I not know this?

What?!? You did not Read The Manual?!?!? All over the world, millions of technical writers are sobbing quietly over the futility of their vocation.  But yeah, the manuals for the three self-cleaning ovens I've owned have all said you have to take the racks out and clean them by hand. Like that isn't the hardest part of cleaning an oven! I do always clean the glass in the door by hand because it needs cleaning far more often than the oven itself.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

So Anna and Jesse wearing their eyeglasses doesn’t faze me.  Well.... I *did* think, “Ooh, that couple are an optometrist’s dream! Two to one, all their kids will wear glasses, too!”

What's the big deal? Maybe they cannot use contacts? They'd surely want to see each other on their wedding day! Gosh. Are we back to the days when Grace Kelley had to try not to squint and then put her specs on when the lights went down? There are better things here to snark about.

• Upvote 15

1 minute ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

What's the big deal? Maybe they cannot use contacts? They'd surely want to see each other on their wedding day! Gosh. Are we back to the days when Grace Kelley had to try not to squint and then put her specs on when the lights went down? There are better things here to snark about.

Hopewell, ol’ Buddy ol’ friend, you know I’m in agreement with you, right?  The “optometrist’s dream” was just some gentle observational humor. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids hated bibs in general. I didn’t use them all that much when my kids were small. I decided it was just easier for my boys to eat topless and wipe off their chest when I wiped off their face when they were done eating. But Steve would never approve of topless toddler boys. 

I made a stack of bibs for the first little Black. They lasted through 3 kids and were handed down donated, still in great condition. Thick terry cloth absorbs all spills! I used fingertip towels, which are easy to find at Marshall's or TJ Maxx; some even have cute appliques.  I cut in an inch or so from one end and then cut out a circle for the neck opening. Sewed bias tape around all the cut edges, and velcro on the end part to close it. If that doesn't make sense I'm sure there's a youtube video on how-to.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I made a stack of bibs for the first little Black. They lasted through 3 kids and were handed down donated, still in great condition. Thick terry cloth absorbs all spills! I used fingertip towels, which are easy to find at Marshall's or TJ Maxx; some even have cute appliques.  I cut in an inch or so from one end and then cut out a circle for the neck opening. Sewed bias tape around all the cut edges, and velcro on the end part to close it. If that doesn't make sense I'm sure there's a youtube video on how-to.

Those bibs were the best! When a friend was in rehab for a while, the dining room provided similar bibs made from bath towels for residents who needed them. Very clever solution to the situation. 

It just occurred to me why the Maxwell’s like molded bibs. Like belted pants on little boys and especially like long skirts on little girls, they are cumbersome and restrictive of quick or sudden movement. 

The Maxwells’ Need For Control: At Least They're Consistent About It. 

• Upvote 8

Whoever it was upthread that suggested Jesse and Anna ofJesse would be a nerd couple in the real world, I totally agree. I can easily see them attending a Star Trek convention in full costume.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

It might be a local thing, but bodies lying in state in funeral homes on occasion are wearing the eyeglasses they wore in life. The deceased or their survivors apparently decided that was the way people would remember them, and how they looked in life.

(It just occurred to me that were my body to be laid out, my reading glasses could be perched atop my head and that’s how people would remember me in my natural state! Hm! Almost enough to make me change my mind about my arrangements. But enough of that jolly topic.)

Anna looks comfortable to me but that’s probably because the snapshots that were posted soon after the nuptials imprinted on my mind.  I haven’t studied Christopher’s photos because they are deadly dull.

I also think her dress looks fine. Some people enjoy clothes that fit loosely. Might have mentioned that I’ve lost about 60# and a couple of friends have fussed at me that I’m “not showing it off” because my 3-sizes-smaller clothes are still cargo pants, “pajama pants” and the occasional gored skirt. 

I’ve always preferred loose-fitting garments. Anna might be the same. 

Now that I'm older, my neighbor and I agree we want clothes that feel like wearing no clothes.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Whoever it was upthread that suggested Jesse and Anna ofJesse would be a nerd couple in the real world, I totally agree. I can easily see them attending a Star Trek convention in full costume.

No wonder I feel affection for them! 

• Upvote 5

Because I now have access to a full keyboard I give you this ragey, cuss-laden rant from my glasses wearing soapbox...

Spoiler

OMG! Will you lay off it with shitting on them for wearing their fucking glasses?!? In the 80's someone asked Gene Rodenberry why Captain Picard was bald instead of wearing a hairpiece. Gene Rodenberry's response? Captain Picard is bald because in the 24th century no one gives a shit about baldness. This needs to be the case towards those of us who HAVE NO FUCKING CHOICE but to wear eyeglasses BECAUSE OF WHATEVER THE FUCK REASON WE wear eyeglasses instead of contacts or lasix or any other option you think we should take! If YOU ever need to wear glasses full-time I hope you get over your eyeglass wearing insecurities right damn quick because as much as I hate wearing glasses you better be certain I absolutely LOVE having the privilege of corrected vision!

Edited by Giraffe
changing words
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

There are better things here to snark about.

I mean yeah, but one man's trash is another man's treasure!

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic