IGNORED

Maxwell 42: The Young and the Vestless

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids hated bibs in general. I didn’t use them all that much when my kids were small. I decided it was just easier for my boys to eat topless and wipe off their chest when I wiped off their face when they were done eating. But Steve would never approve of topless toddler boys. 

My daughter did that girls or boys.  Bibs were useless when the kids had long sleeves.  Her kids were far more likely to drag a sleeve through something than drop food in front.

• Upvote 5

I did have a bib like that for dd.  But most of the time at home, she just ate in her diaper.  She was rather uncoordinated and a messy eater and probably ate shirtless at home until four or five.  

• Upvote 5

For some reason, I thought Sarah was taking pictures.

I re-read the post. Gigi stayed behind due to COVID.  I think Joseph and Elissa stayed behind for several reasons. One reason is they may have wanted family in town in case Gigi needed assistance. In an emergency it would be good for her to have family near, especially if she lives alone.

Joseph may also have wanted to attend to his business. The move didn't really happen until July, but they may have been looking at houses. 

I think the bride looked pretty although the dress could have a little better. She may have a liked a looser-fitting dress or they weren't able to get fittings during the Pandemic. I hope she had a say in the styling and liked the long sleeves. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

To me, Chris actually did better than I thought he would. He could definitely be a good candidate for some more photography classes to help him inhance lighting better. Even smartphones have photo shop to correct things. Or maybe it's just his style to have everyone look natural. Did Anna make her dress? Looks a bit old fashioned for her age. But to keep it positive, everyone looked relaxed and happy. I know Christopher had to be very worried. He captured alot of smiles that day. I hope that really helped him.

Christopher styles himself as taking a photojournalistic approach to wedding photos, which tells you why most of them look like he’s photographing the aftermath of a natural disaster. (The “photojournalistic” style thing used to be on his website but he revamped it and now it’s even worse than before. His About page is something else.) He has no idea how to put people at ease, so they always look stiff and overly posed. He doesn’t now how to compose a photo so that it doesn’t look like a product shot. He doesn’t know how to light or how to use whatever natural lighting is available (and neither does Sarah apparently. Midday lighting isn’t the best but you can make it work if you know how. Start with a diffuser at least…) To put it bluntly, his photography sucks. 

I’m no fan of weddings and I’ve been to very few (by choice) but overall this one seemed pretty dull. Blah colors, ill fitting dresses—and was the bride wearing beige flats? Whatever, their wedding, their choices. But I can’t even say the happy couple looked, well…happy. Even Nurie Rodrigues was beaming at her dollar store wedding. Granted, as someone said upthread, not everyone likes to show their emotions but still, you shouldn’t look like you stepped out of Grant Woods’ American Gothic on your wedding day. 

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 25
  • Haha 1

I think it is telling that Joseph and Elissa did not attend the wedding.  I think they are separating (literally and figuratively) from the rest of the Maxwells and this is an example of the change. 

Who doesn't go to  their brother's (and fundies all say that siblings are their best friends) wedding for work or house hunting or moving? They do what everyone else does: take time off work , or reschedule moving day/house hunting/packing  for another day.  There is something deeper going on. Even if they chose not to go for Covid reasons, then they chose a very different approach from the rest of the family (NB Gigi and Anna staying home means little since I doubt that the family self isolated when they got back from the wedding  so infection wise it is almost as if Gigi and Anna went to the wedding). Different approach to covid. Different church. Different home. More mainstream clothing choices. Fewer times at The Maxwell homestead.

Personally I think they are going fundie light and I would not be surprised if they have a tv and let their children play sports.

• Upvote 14
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Imo that’s quite a petty thing to say. I’ve worn glasses for most of my life and can’t see much without them. If someone told me to take my glasses off for a photo* I would roll my eyes and say no. 

* dmv, medical, etc notwithstanding 

I was maid of honor for my best friend's wedding, and she practically begged me to wear my contacts at the wedding. I hadn't been wearing them but because we'd been friends since our 1st day of high school, I did it. 
I had to wear my glasses for my drivers license  photo but not for my real id. When I asked why the lady said well you don't need this to drive?????? Not that I use my real id much, I use my  passport card and that works just as well, 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

The only good picture is the one casual one.  I wish they had taken one picture of the couple without their glasses.  Frames styles change so much overtime & would be nice to see their faces. 

But, dress styles change over time too and that is part of the charm of looking at wedding pictures years later. For instance, seeing my aunt’s wedding pictures with her bouffant hairdo, very full skirt and cat eye glasses - that was her era and that was just her! 

I think the glasses are nice because each fell in love with the other after only seeing each other in glasses. Their glasses are part of their looks. 

*From a full-time glasses wearer.  

Edited by usmcmom
Typo
  • Upvote 26
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, freejugar said:

who are Jesse's groomsmen? beside his brothers

I wondered too, as Sarah said all but one was a sibling (I think one was 3nna's brother).  But, I wonder who the non-sibling was?

Could Jesse have a non-sibling friend?  What is this world coming to?!!?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I wondered too, as Sarah said all but one was a sibling (I think one was 3nna's brother).  But, I wonder who the non-sibling was?

Could Jesse have a non-sibling friend?  What is this world coming to?!!?

I think they're the brothers of the bride. Both of them. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, glasses are extremely dated. I can often tell when a picture was taken based on glasses. But I still think they should keep them on if they are full time glasses wearers. I say this because my mom is a full time glasses wearer. She’s blind as a bat without them. I think she was given too much oxygen at birth and that’s what made her eyesight so bad. If she took her glasses off. She wouldn’t look like herself. I would say the same thing about my dad’s mustache. He’s had it for 40 years. If he shaved it, everyone would freak out. None of us want to ever see his upper lip naked. It would be obscene! ;)

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think they're the brothers of the bride. Both of them. 

Sarah said one of the groomsmen wasn't a family member, though.  Although both non-Maxwell groomsmen do look like the bride.

Also, why did they use a  nearby church for the background for outdoor pictures?  Why not the church they were married in?

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, freethemall said:

Why does everyone look so...sweaty? That could have been easily fixed in editing, Christopher!

They all look incredibly greasy and unwashed, particularly the Maxwells. 

Like, I get that some people have oilier skin and hair, but damn, get some blotting papers and clarifying shampoo or something. It's like a middle school class photo up in there. They make such a fuss over the significance of a wedding, but they show up looking like they just worked the graveyard shift over the Fry-o-lator? Most of us who live in a society try to look our best for important events as a way to show our respect to the people who matter to us. Note that I'm not suggesting they need to wear designer clothing or expensive makeup. Just, like...wash your face before posing for photos on the only day of Anna Patrice's life when she actually counts as a human being?

On the other hand, I guess the dazzling, oily glare is one way of drawing the observer's eye to the countenance, though. Like moths congregating around a floodlight on a summer night. ?

21 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Aren't Andrew and Benjamin a little old for board books?

I guarantee that Teri gets her (modest) panties in a wad about children "mistreating" books. God forbid a book, especially one beloved by many little hands, actually show physical signs of being read. She probably makes them read board books until they've been smacked around enough they're old enough to treat regular books "properly". See also: the recent blog post about buying new readers a cheap children's Bible and replacing it with a nicer one when they show sufficient diligence and responsibility. She's totally the type to take away ALL books if a kid breaks a binding or tears a page. 

• Upvote 8

IMHO one of the worst wedding gowns in a long time. Even Anna Duggar's T-Shirt-Dress was better fitting. 

BUT I do somewhat like the bridesmaids dresses, especially the color. 

I think they are a cute couple that gives me some nerdy vibes. The photos really don't pay them any credit and make them look weird.

• Upvote 9

Those are very unfortunate pictures. No snark on the bride and groom, but god! That lighting! The sweat! The red faces! 

If those were my pictures I'd be asking for my money back. 

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, browngrl said:

I think it is telling that Joseph and Elissa did not attend the wedding.  I think they are separating (literally and figuratively) from the rest of the Maxwells and this is an example of the change. 

Who doesn't go to  their brother's (and fundies all say that siblings are their best friends) wedding for work or house hunting or moving? They do what everyone else does: take time off work , or reschedule moving day/house hunting/packing  for another day.  There is something deeper going on. Even if they chose not to go for Covid reasons, then they chose a very different approach from the rest of the family (NB Gigi and Anna staying home means little since I doubt that the family self isolated when they got back from the wedding  so infection wise it is almost as if Gigi and Anna went to the wedding). Different approach to covid. Different church. Different home. More mainstream clothing choices. Fewer times at The Maxwell homestead.

Personally I think they are going fundie light and I would not be surprised if they have a tv and let their children play sports.

Joseph and Jesse work (or worked) together and have travelled to professional events as a team. Jesse has recently joined the same church Joseph attends. And even if they weren't in good terms (which I doubt), refusing to go to a brother's wedding is an extreme decision. Not Maxwell style at all.

Maybe Joseph or Elissa or the children were ill, or not ready to travel for whatever reason. Maybe they have a health issue that makes covid a high risk.

• Upvote 12

7 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

They all look incredibly greasy and unwashed, particularly the Maxwells. 

Like, I get that some people have oilier skin and hair, but damn, get some blotting papers and clarifying shampoo or something. It's like a middle school class photo up in there. They make such a fuss over the significance of a wedding, but they show up looking like they just worked the graveyard shift over the Fry-o-lator? Most of us who live in a society try to look our best for important events as a way to show our respect to the people who matter to us. Note that I'm not suggesting they need to wear designer clothing or expensive makeup. Just, like...wash your face before posing for photos on the only day of Anna Patrice's life when she actually counts as a human being?

On the other hand, I guess the dazzling, oily glare is one way of drawing the observer's eye to the countenance, though. Like moths congregating around a floodlight on a summer night. ?

While it may be partially hygiene, we've barely seen them this sweaty mulching and climbing mountains in Colorado. I think a lot of it is bad lighting combined with harsh camera flash, and overall bad photography taking and editing skills.

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe Joseph or Elissa or the children were ill, or not ready to travel for whatever reason. Maybe they have a health issue that makes covid a high risk.

It could be as simple as, one of them had an official covid exposure - could have happened at church, at the dentist, anywhere contact tracing would catch up with them - and had to strictly quarantine as a result. While that's certainly their own private business, no one would have thought less of Joe & Co if they'd said so, and it would have made it sound less like Joe just didn't feel like coming. 

Or GiGi could be the reason. Obviously they made no effort to quarantine from her when they arrived back home, so maybe contagion wasn't her reason for needing to stay home - maybe she just doesn't travel well, and it's a solid 10-hour drive from Leavenworth to Cedarville. (I seem to remember a very serious car accident mentioned on the blog probably ten years ago - and I think maybe she broke her pelvis or hip? That could make long car trips really uncomfortable.) In non-pandemic times they could've taken it a little easier, stopping at the halfway point for the night and then finishing the drive in the morning, but lodging in many places was a little uncertain at that point, and their post immediately after the wedding implied that the Maxes were making tracks for home (and driving through the night) as soon as the happy couple had driven away. Leaving someone behind to be available if GiGi had any needs would certainly make sense, though why Elissa couldn't have managed that without Joe is beyond me (unless she doesn't drive and couldn't GET to GiGi quickly in an emergency. We know Anna Marie drives, because she took the wheel of Christopher's truck on an early What Some Might Call A Vacation so he could get work done, and Chelsy drives, because she zooms out to Iowa sans John all the time, and since Mel came from a fairly mainstream fundie-lite family I wouldn't assume they'd kept her from driving, but I don't think we know about Elissa.)

If I were having some sort of falling-out with a brother, such that I would outright refuse to attend his wedding or he would refuse to attend mine, the relationship would probably be so broken that we wouldn't still be running a business together, and even if we were stuck with that (if, say, we had no other options that would allow us to maintain the same standard of living) I would probably make some distance by not attending church with him. In fact, this church or that church being "his church" would probably take it off my list of possibilities. So I don't think there's a rift there, just details the Maxes don't feel like sharing that would clear it all up.

• Upvote 6

Surprised a Maxwell leg humper hasn't asked why Joe wasn't at the wedding. We are definitely not the only curious ones. But the pictures are up and they have given us all the info they intend for us to know.

• Upvote 6

They look like a nerdy couple who would've had a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings theme wedding if it weren't for being fundies.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2

I’ve declined an invite to my siblings’ wedding because of covid. There are no hard feelings and both of them are incredibly understanding. I’d absolutely be there otherwise. My guess is it’s nothing more than Joe taking covid seriously and them choosing not to risk a potential exposure. 

• Upvote 12

On 9/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, Black Aliss said:

You know how you're not supposed to leave the oven racks in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle? I've been running the self-clean cycle with the racks in place for 20 years now and my racks are fine, TYVM, just not as shiny as they were originally.

..I did not know we are supposed to remove the racks... How did I not know this?

The posing in the pictures is terrible, especially the (pointless) photo of the women staring down at their bouquets. Now, the photo where they have their heads bowed and are praying is much nicer. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Surprised a Maxwell leg humper hasn't asked why Joe wasn't at the wedding. We are definitely not the only curious ones. But the pictures are up and they have given us all the info they intend for us to know.

They probably did & it was never published.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

16 hours ago, browngrl said:

Very insightful. However, Jesse and Joseph do work together. They maybe trying to forge their own path away from the family compound. I have had a feeling the past couple years that Elissa is not happy living near the family and under their restrictions as her family wasn't. Plus they did just leave the compound, so I am assuming that while they will remain in touch with them, they will be doing things there way. After all, the family leaves out photos of her and Chelsy when they wear shirts that show their shoulders and pants. Who knows, maybe they plan on sending their kids to school rather than homeschool. Either way, I hope they do what is best for them rather than what Steve and Teri want. 

• Upvote 11

I’ll be honest. I probably would skip a wedding because of COVID, even a sibling’s wedding. I am skipping two funerals this weekend because of COVID - funerals that I would never dream of missing in normal times. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic