IGNORED

Jinjer 54: Three Month Countdown to Evangeline's Arrival on November 22

Coconut Flan

I know I posted my name prediction for Penelope a while ago, but I had a dream they the baby and named her Candace, but sadly, did not go with the nickname of Candy.

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

ornj

Having lived in so many English speaking cities that are just wildly different with how they use the language I am definitely a language descriptivist and therefore recognize that that pronunciation is just a regional variant and I am not making a judgment on it. But it hurts my mouth when I try!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

I looked up where Felicity is in popularity and it's in the 300s in the last couple of years. I think my official guess was in the top ten (whoops). It seems likely to me that they will pick a less popular name than Amelia (or my guess, Charlotte), but I have no idea if they are actually paying attention to those kinds of things, and also the kinds of names used in their circles might be different than what is overall popular (more faithy?). I just can't see Jinger and Jeremy (especially Jeremy) wanting his daughter to share her name with too many of us plebs though.

I did think the Amelia seemed like good detective work, but also it seemed to me that the point of that board was to list the babies whose labour was induced ~because of that salad~ , and putting Amelia up pre-baby is a false endorsement (not that a salad can induce labour). Probably nobody in that cafe is taking it that seriously though.

1 hour ago, Whatthefundie said:

Adding to the name prediction: I think they will name the baby Amada, meaning loved, and they will call her Maddie. 

Now I’m thinking of a fleet of boats. Its spelt differently I know but sounds the same. 

Edited by Gobsmacked
Spell
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

Two weird words that come up in my house---veteran and tournament. I am originally from Massachusetts, my hubby and kids all born in Mid-Atlantic region.

I say a two-syllable "vet-truhn" (as opposed to "vet-er-run')

and "turn-a-mint' (as opposed to "torn-a-mint").

When I listen to other people--tv etc, it seems about 50/50 on both words.

Edited by Satan'sFortress
typo
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Is it okay if I get a bit geeky about linguistics for a minute?

In terms of phonemes, if a syllable is dropped in a word it’s technically called a syncope and it usually (but not always) happens before an R or L.

I’ll use the word squirrel as an example so that it doesn’t look like I’m picking on anyone by using words they suggested ?

It’s a hard one though, because of the q diphone.

Anyway, if we look at the IPA of the word, there are 7 phonemes (sounds): s-k-w-i-rr-e-l. In terms of graphemes, there are 4 graphs, 1 digraph and 1 diphone.

Traditionally each syllable has a vowel sound and in squirrel, the /i/ and /e/ give those two syllables. Breaking it down further, the pronunciation of the /i/ is where the accent variation comes in, and the schwa (e) is the one dropped when people say it with one syllable.

It doesn’t mean it actually has one syllable - it still has two - it just means that one of them is a syncope for some people. Same with many other examples given in this thread.

Names are a little different for cultural and personal reasons, so I’m not going to argue with anyone who chooses the name Amelia for their daughter that it absolutely has 4 syllables. They can think it has 3, but from a different POV it has 4, with some people pronouncing it with 3 because of a syncope.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Next week I’ll be on a high horse about another random piece of information which most people class as useless trivia. Stay tuned! It could be about etymology (which is where the difference in pronunciation for Alicia comes in). Or it could even be about the non-rhotic accent which changes/drops an entirely different phoneme.

I love and am fascinated with linguistics and I find accents, speech patterns and dialects particularly interesting.  I was always sorry I didn't take a linguistics class in college.  So I thoroughly enjoyed your post.     

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 11/22/2020 at 11:44 PM, JDuggs said:

My guess is that JB, Michelle, Jana and the four youngest girls are all there. If I were Jinger, I would have only wanted Michelle and Jana there, not all of the extra craziness.

I might not even have wanted Michelle there, but I assume you’re right and Jinger does feel differently about her mother than I do ?

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, Whatthefundie said:

Adding to the name prediction: I think they will name the baby Amada, meaning loved, and they will call her Maddie. 

I'll add it to the list but it's better to put the guesses in the baby names thread so I don't miss them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Two weird words that come up in my house---veteran and tournament. I am originally from Massachusetts, my hubby and kids all born in Mid-Atlantic region.

I say a two-syllable "vet-truhn" (as opposed to "vet-er-run')

and "turn-a-mint' (as opposed to "torn-a-mint").

When I listen to other people--tv etc, it seems about 50/50 on both words.

Aussie here I say

torn a ment. 

And veteran as two syllable. 

• Upvote 1

I'm English as a second language speaker, so I think I might pronounce words differently than a native speaker. If a word can have three syllables, I'd probably pronounce it as such. 

Same thing for grammar mistakes, because I've been taught English in a different way than a native, I'm less likely to use 'would of' and 'aloud' and more likely to use the wrong verb conjugation for 'I/we' or 'he/she/it'. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Aussie here I say

torn a ment. 

And veteran as two syllable. 

British here and I say the same as you for both.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I love and am fascinated with linguistics and I find accents, speech patterns and dialects particularly interesting.  I was always sorry I didn't take a linguistics class in college.  So I thoroughly enjoyed your post.     

Aw thanks - and it’s never too late!

• Love 3

@adidas made me fall in love with linguistics. I'll read more any time. I love knowing about 'syncope' in linguistics. I had always wondered about those disappearing or swallowed syllables.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I'm English as a second language speaker, so I think I might pronounce words differently than a native speaker. If a word can have three syllables, I'd probably pronounce it as such. 

Same thing for grammar mistakes, because I've been taught English in a different way than a native, I'm less likely to use 'would of' and 'aloud' and more likely to use the wrong verb conjugation for 'I/we' or 'he/she/it'. 

Same for me, English is my second language so I know sometimes I prounce things differentl than native speaker, especially if I hae not heard the word in a conversation. I know sometimes my brain relies on a similar pronunciation in my native tongue. Veteran is a good example. I would totally say ''vai-teh-rahn'' because that's how it's pronounced in French. Which I realize isn't the way most native speaker say it. ?

And don't get my started on Colonel. My very logic and normal french brain tells me: Co-lonhn-ul. First time I heard it in English, I think my brain went: Mais merde, where d*fuq does ''KURNEL'' come from??? ?

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

Same for me, English is my second language so I know sometimes I prounce things differentl than native speaker, especially if I hae not heard the word in a conversation. I know sometimes my brain relies on a similar pronunciation in my native tongue. Veteran is a good example. I would totally say ''vai-teh-rahn'' because that's how it's pronounced in French. Which I realize isn't the way most native speaker say it. ?

And don't get my started on Colonel. My very logic and normal french brain tells me: Co-lonhn-ul. First time I heard it in English, I think my brain went: Mais merde, where d*fuq does ''KURNEL'' come from??? ?

In my American speaking brain I see Colonel and think shouldn't hat say Kernel or if you want to distinguish between popcorn & a military rank cernal.  Silent letters, made up spells, I;m pretty sure whom ever Americanized  English was drunk.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bobology said:

@adidas made me fall in love with linguistics. I'll read more any time. I love knowing about 'syncope' in linguistics. I had always wondered about those disappearing or swallowed syllables.

Awwww ? and here I was thinking I was prattling on like a crazy old lady! Thank you!

• Upvote 3

I hope you dont mind me asking but I need to know! ok so we (UK) say Buoy as boy and buoyant as boy-ant.

Ive heard it pronounced on American TV shows as Boo ee, is that right? But what about buoyant? Do you say boo-ee-ant or

boy-ant? 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I hope you dont mind me asking but I need to know! ok so we (UK) say Buoy as boy and buoyant as boy-ant.

Ive heard it pronounced on American TV shows as Boo ee, is that right? But what about buoyant? Do you say boo-ee-ant or

boy-ant? 

Canadian here (in the prairies) and we say boo-ee and boy-ant. Go figure, lol. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

boy-ant? 

I (American) say  buoy as boo-ee, but buoyant as boy-ant. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Lieutenant is also a fun one (on the military theme). I know Americans say loo ten unt, but Brits say lef ten ant which is also completely out of left field. Canadians? Australians? Anywhere else?

1 hour ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

boy-ant? 

Boo-ee and Boy-Int

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I never wrapped my head around the word "midwife" and "midwifery". I always assumed that "midwife" was mid-wife, as in the middle wife. But then I heard someone talk about midwifery.

And then there's this: 

52809878_2146419125688637_5056382375294926848_n.jpg

• Haha 28

• samurai_sarah locked this topic