IGNORED

Ashley Salyer: Stalking Planned Parenthood and Rejecting Bateses

HideousGreenShirt

54 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees guests shouldn’t wear white to a wedding, but my southern grandmother also always believed no one should wear red or black either. I’ve been to and in weddings where the bridesmaids have worn black or shades of red, but as a guest I have always tried to avoid those colors.

Colour code is cultural. In Spain, no white for weddings, but black is OK (not the best colour by classy standards, but it's widely accepted). Red is accepted for guests and is one of the typical colours used by the mother of the groom, because in the weddings here, she has a role as important as the father of the bride and red is so powerful. Another powerful colour is Klein blue. But pastels are also very common for both the mother of the groom and the mother of the bride. We don't usually have bridesmaids here, only little flower girls and ring carriers.

Edited by Melissa1977
Clarify
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Maybe that’s outdated now, but several years later I still get angry when I look at photos of my MIL and SIL in their bold red formal gowns. It felt like a deliberate attempt to upstage.

Because it was.  My one daughter had a garden wedding with bridesmaids in short dresses.  She went with me to pick out a MOB dress and I went with tea length.  Her MIL showed up in a shiny silver floor length fully formal gown.  Think a cousin to the metallic monster Michelle Duggar wore.  ::smh::  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

We had a very small wedding and I didn't worry about anyone trying to pull anything, but if we'd invited more of the extended family I'm sure someone would have.  And since only close friends and family were at the wedding, I wouldn't have minded anyone doing that but sure would have been salty as hell about anyone else... but that is part of the reason we didn't invite them.  Mostly it was the money, though.

• Upvote 2

I never forget the story my mom tells of her first wedding, which was a small courthouse wedding followed by a dinner with immediate family in attendance only. Of course her stepmom should up in an expensive floor-length white gown with ostrich feathers. The restaurant staff at the dinner afterwards all thought her stepmom was the bride. 

Well I've already warned my family that is anyone tries to pull this at my wedding, they are willingly signing up for me, the bride, to storm over to you and cut off your white dress with a pair a scissors and you will be standing there in your undies. (And if you knew me in real life, you'd understand that I am only half joking! 😂)

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 1:41 PM, Johannah said:

I told my mother-in-law that my wedding colors were shades of blues and greens. She was relatively involved in the planning so she was well aware of this fact.

It was a daytime outdoor wedding on a hot summer day. Groom and groomsmen wore gray suits. Bridesmaids wore short green dresses. Not a formal wedding.

I had been envisioning her maybe in olive green or navy and knee length, but didn’t want to assign or impose. She showed up in a floor length reddish orange flame-colored one-shoulder gown. My sister in law wore a bright red evening gown. 

I think pretty much everyone agrees guests shouldn’t wear white to a wedding, but my southern grandmother also always believed no one should wear red or black either. I’ve been to and in weddings where the bridesmaids have worn black or shades of red, but as a guest I have always tried to avoid those colors.

Maybe that’s outdated now, but several years later I still get angry when I look at photos of my MIL and SIL in their bold red formal gowns. It felt like a deliberate attempt to upstage.  

Typical NYC wedding is more black tie/cocktail. If someone shows up in a floral day dress, they'll be talked about for years. Us Yanks tend to have more formal weddings in general(from observation).

Wearing a black dress is pretty standard here.

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1

Our wedding theme was "colorful and festive", and formal wear optional.
Bridesmaids are not common here, and I told my two best friends (one was a witness the other was the ringbearer) to wear a color they would feel happy and pretty in. My favorite color is pink, and they both chose a dress within the pink/purple spectrum that suited their complexion and hair color best. It suited them really well, but I would not have minded had they chosen different colors. I wanted everyone to feel comfortable, happy, and pretty.
The favorite color of my master of ceremonies (which we have since we don't have best man/maid of honor things) was black, and I told her that she could totally wear black if she wanted to (she ended up wearing green, which suited her really well). My brother always wears shorts, though usually pretty ragged ones, so I told him he could wear shorts, but preferably ones without holes 😅 (He bought semi formal shorts for the wedding).

I am very much not a fan of extremely formal events myself, nor is my SO, so our wedding wasn't that either. People did wear nice clothes, and we gave everyone the option to wear formal if they wanted to; whatever they were most comfortable in. My dad took the opportunity to wear a nice suit, but my brothers chose 'normal' nice clothing (like, not clothing you would wear everyday, but not extremely formal either). 
I wore pretty pink sneakers (tennis shoes?) under my princess ballgown wedding dress, because I wanted to be able to feel comfortable at my own wedding. 

Everyone celebrates differently, and a lot is also dependent on the culture. Our guests had a great time and so did we, and that's what was most important to us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:59 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe it's the picture, but the lace makes it look greyish, not white IMO. It is such a sexy tight dress and I can see her black bra. Fundies have been really updating their wardrobes recently!

Yeah that is not white - it is a light gray and blue. It is the lighting.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

That was one of the pre-wedding conflicts we ran into. In my husband's culture, blac/navy dresses for guests are pretty standard but where I grew up it is # big no-no (black is a funeral color), so my husband nicely told his relatives no black and they all complied. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 3:58 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yeah that is not white - it is a light gray and blue. It is the lighting.

One of my biggest pet peeves is this. If it looks even sorta whiteish why wear it. If it photographs even slightly whiteish absolutely don’t wear it. There are a million colors in the world, you don’t need to wear a totally “not white” pale gray dress to a wedding. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

My daughter says when in doubt wear a print dress to weddings.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Busy wedding weekend in fundie land. Ashley's sister Anastasia got married in a surprisingly not terrible dress yesterday (maybe? It was live on her Instagram). Photos of dress under spoiler. 

She seems to have decent chemistry with the guy unlike Ashley and her awkward husband. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221002_214437.thumb.jpg.f96973e5dd7da6befc05cb8c6abf5db9.jpgScreenshot_20221002_214328.thumb.jpg.91de85e1c26a09c834d0a7d82f3b83f2.jpgScreenshot_20221002_214338.thumb.jpg.b6833199caaecfd4c6c9082f1400ee91.jpgScreenshot_20221002_214421.thumb.jpg.4a4a7c8d2f192bb5d916cee37cf9db37.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

The Salyers haven’t ever really gone along with fundie clothing standards. They wear completely mainstream clothes all the time. Their wedding dresses were all pretty mainstream. 

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Wow that’s the best looking fundie dress I’ve ever seen

Probably because it doesn’t follow the ordinary ATI/Gothard modesty standards. Imagine one of the Duggar girls wanting to wear that kind of neckline back when they got married. Gothard wouldn’t approve. 

• Upvote 1

Ashley is apparently pregnant again but hasn't announced.

I hate that she is having more babies for her anti-basic-healthcare protests "mission". 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221013_003808.thumb.jpg.4d8b532b11616fc43c2bd7e9222e349d.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

On 10/12/2022 at 5:31 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Probably because it doesn’t follow the ordinary ATI/Gothard modesty standards. Imagine one of the Duggar girls wanting to wear that kind of neckline back when they got married. Gothard wouldn’t approve. 

I don't think the neckline is too revealing. It's got sheer mesh that goes up to her neck. Then it has lace. It's not that low-cut. 

The Duggars stopped covering their necks years ago, even thought that's what Gothard wanted. Jessa's dress showed almost as much neck as that dress. Jessa's dress didn't have the mesh though. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, HideousGreenShirt said:

Ashley is apparently pregnant again but hasn't announced.

I hate that she is having more babies for her anti-basic-healthcare protests "mission". 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20221013_003808.thumb.jpg.4d8b532b11616fc43c2bd7e9222e349d.jpg

I wonder if she will stop at a certain number. It would be very hard to have 8 kids 10 and under in a nyc apartment. 

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if she will stop at a certain number. It would be very hard to have 8 kids 10 and under in a nyc apartment. 

I'm sure they'll move to Ohio by the time the third one arrives.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I'm sure they'll move to Ohio by the time the third one arrives.

That’s the only way they can have a huge family. 

• Upvote 3

But isn’t Ashley a New York City girl? I didn’t think she was keen on leaving the city which was, I think,  part of the reason for the breakup with Nathan Bates. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Angelface said:

But isn’t Ashley a New York City girl? I didn’t think she was keen on leaving the city which was, I think,  part of the reason for the breakup with Nathan Bates. 

She has said on her trips to Ohio how much she loves the country. But who knows if she was being honest. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Not her choice anymore.  If her spiritual leader decides they're going, she's gotta follow.

I imagine he has a decent job in NYC and he pastors at a church too. So I don’t think they will head to Ohio anytime soon. But they might have to if they have 7 kids in 7 years. 

• Upvote 6

She might not have wanted to leave at that stage of her life, but could be more open to it in the future if they end up with a lot of kids. She complains more and more about the politics in NYC as time goes on, too. Not that NYC hasn't always been wildly liberal, but she might care more now as things get more polarized. Or it could just be that Nathan wasn't worth leaving the city for, but Eric is.

Then again, she grew up with a lot of kids in a relatively small space, so she may not mind it too much. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1