IGNORED

Ashley Salyer: Stalking Planned Parenthood and Rejecting Bateses

HideousGreenShirt

5 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Has it already been a month that she is married? I'm not aure. It seems like it happens yesterday and at the same time months and months ago...this may be bad but I wish she had bad morning sickness at least all trough her first trimester and can not go outside picketing at clinic and insulting wiman. Then she will be busy decorating the nursery and preparing everything for the new blessing, and this "hobby" will be pushed aside 

I think she'll totally be there with a baby in her arms, reminding all the women that children are precious blessings. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

She seems to be on a trip to North Carolina to harass women at a planned parenthood there and also to sing in a crowded indoor coffee shop with no mask?? Doesn’t seem very pro-life to me...

Spoiler

57AE74F2-FC36-46BA-A62C-9B7F1D19719B.thumb.png.c75106b84f1fbe0fd623bbd6089464f2.png

I find it so strange that she just got married and all she posts about is her anti-choice activism. I would be impressed she’s keeping her relationship private and continuing her own independent work if it weren’t so offensive. 

• Upvote 20

Someone sent me this a few years ago, I have not verified if it's a legit quote, but I think it sums up a lot of these fundies' supposed "pro-life" stance. 

“I do not believe that just because you’re opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don’t? Because you don’t want any tax money to go there. That’s not pro-life. That’s pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is.”
Sister Joan Chittister, of the Order of Saint Benedict

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 9

On 9/22/2020 at 12:08 AM, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Someone sent me this a few years ago, I have not verified if it's a legit quote, but I think it sums up a lot of these fundies' supposed "pro-life" stance. 

“I do not believe that just because you’re opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don’t? Because you don’t want any tax money to go there. That’s not pro-life. That’s pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is.”
Sister Joan Chittister, of the Order of Saint Benedict

Great quote.

In fact, it's enterely possible being pro-life and accepting abortion in some circumstances (very sick mother for example). Sacrificing a woman for a unborn child is not exactly pro-life. Things are not black or white. Life is unfair sometimes and a game where nobody wins.

Also I agree that most fundies are not pro-life, but pro-birth. There is a huge difference. Pro-life celebrates and protects lives of mothers and babies, pro-birth is often used to punish sinners forcing them to deliver unwanted babies or giving them to "godly" families. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:21 AM, zygote373 said:

find it so strange that she just got married and all she posts about is her anti-choice activism. I would be impressed she’s keeping her relationship private and continuing her own independent work if it weren’t so offensive

Me too. Not typical helpmeet. Does the husband travel with her? Maybe they are full-time activists.

I think she'll have a rough time when her collection of children keep her stuck at home. No doubt she will use them for demonstrations, but she will have to focus in house chores.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

If that quotation is really from a Catholic nun, then her version of "pro life" would be all encompassing: not just anti-abortion, but anti-war, anti-police brutality, anti-capital punishment, pro environmental science, etc. She would be all for social justice programs that are proven to reduce abortions (besides birth control L O L), prison reform, adoption agencies, environmental protection, free Catholic elementary education, etc. 

The difference I think is that the Catholic Church has a much more thought-out sense of the morality/ethics of the pro-life movement, including expert theological arguments. They also have the social justice/ saved by works piece to make this imperative to being a practicing Catholic. I'm not sure fundies have theological (apologetic) arguments that actually make sense, and they don't believe in "good works" and actively despise social justice.  They are truly pro-birth. Honestly it's most likely because they want their army of white (even though Ashley isn't white, the irony) Christians to keep growing. 

I'm not  saying the Catholic view is right, but at least it makes sense and has helpful (for the most part) actions behind it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

It's summarized as the sanctity of life from conception to natural death.  

I can appreciate the intellectual honesty, but in my mind I always rephrase it as the sanctity of life from birth to death.  Although I'm more accepting of natural death in the statement as my mother has reached the point where I'm making end of life decisions for her.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

On 9/24/2020 at 10:43 AM, kmachete14 said:

If that quotation is really from a Catholic nun, then her version of "pro life" would be all encompassing: not just anti-abortion, but anti-war, anti-police brutality, anti-capital punishment, pro environmental science, etc. She would be all for social justice programs that are proven to reduce abortions (besides birth control L O L), prison reform, adoption agencies, environmental protection, free Catholic elementary education, etc. 

The difference I think is that the Catholic Church has a much more thought-out sense of the morality/ethics of the pro-life movement, including expert theological arguments. They also have the social justice/ saved by works piece to make this imperative to being a practicing Catholic. I'm not sure fundies have theological (apologetic) arguments that actually make sense, and they don't believe in "good works" and actively despise social justice.  They are truly pro-birth. Honestly it's most likely because they want their army of white (even though Ashley isn't white, the irony) Christians to keep growing. 

I'm not  saying the Catholic view is right, but at least it makes sense and has helpful (for the most part) actions behind it. 

Except the social justice piece and the "pro-life" versions don't always go together. I was raised Catholic so I'm getting tired of the Catholic right getting credit for the Catholic left. It's a big church, with millions of viewpoints. I've known a lot of Catholic right wingers and there's not much to pick from between them and conservative evangelicals. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

Sister Joan certainly seems like the real deal.  According to her website, she is a sought after speaker for human rights and women's issues.  She also runs a prison fund/ministry outreach for prison chaplains and truly believes you can change the life of a person in prison.  Based on what I read online, I believe that quote is real. 

http://www.joanchittister.org/ 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Oh Ashley. She continues to be absolutely terrible. 

Screenshot_20201023_214726.thumb.jpg.6fc70da14cc6f89592bc2d6a07c0622c.jpg

Correlation does not equal causation, Ashley!

Oh, right... They don't teach logical fallacies at SODRT.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Is that even true?

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I could see suicide rates being higher for those who have had an abortion, but not because of the abortion. Among the many reasons that women get abortions, things like rape and abusive relationships, financial hardship/poverty and health problems seem like they could all lend themselves to higher suicide rates. But it also wouldn't surprise me if it were a completely made up fact. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Ashley posted to her Instagram stories about waiting in line to vote with her sister. Gotta love the irony in bragging about voting for Trump because of sanctity of life and to protect the "pre-born" while they seem to be the only maskless ones in a very long, socially distanced line of voters. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

On 10/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, zcccrv said:

I have to say, as much as I dislike Nathan. he seems to have dodged a bullet with this one. She scares me.

She scares me too, but I have no doubt that if they had married, he'd be right there with her picketing Planned Parenthood. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

She scares me too, but I have no doubt that if they had married, he'd be right there with her picketing Planned Parenthood. 

Maybe that’s why she called it off? Barefoot and pregnant in a shack in the hills is far away from the picket line. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

On 10/26/2020 at 6:03 PM, OHFL2009 said:

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I could see suicide rates being higher for those who have had an abortion, but not because of the abortion. Among the many reasons that women get abortions, things like rape and abusive relationships, financial hardship/poverty and health problems seem like they could all lend themselves to higher suicide rates. But it also wouldn't surprise me if it were a completely made up fact. 

I think that having a baby and giving it to adoption can(*) destroy a woman, too. Even more than an abortion. 

*of course some may be content with their decision, but emotionally, a full pregnancy and a delivery is a big issue. Fundies should know it! Recomending adoption, they are pushing women to do a major sacrifice and a extremely traumatic experience. 

I'm so mad at Alyssa (Lori's daughter) praying for a baby to be given to her. She even joke about the baby, saying it could be being conceived on that moment. Oh how Christian to wish a woman who can't afford a baby gets pregnant and lives the most stresful and sad year of her life! If a baby is given to adoption, it means a bio mother will suffer a lot! It's not about happiness! It's not about luck! 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:
I think that having a baby and giving it to adoption can(*) destroy a woman, too. Even more than an abortion. 

I followed someone who blogged about her experience with abortion adoption . She was essentially brainwashed by her church/religion into placing her daughter with a friend of her family. Those posts were some of the most heartbreaking things I‘ve ever read. When her ex boyfriend with whom she shares her daughter married and his wife gave birth she felt jealous that his wife could keep her baby but she had to place hers.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 4

I really hope she and her husband don't have kids any time soon. As @lumpentheologie @ophelia said, she will absolutely use her pregnancy and baby as a guilt-prop. 

She posted this on her story and evidently thinks referring to abortion as "child sacrifice" is okay:

Screenshot_20201101_112143.thumb.jpg.4128f4d534260f39ddd2a5ef0682b18f.jpg

I watched the video and it basically lists off all the sacrifices of the ancient civilisations then says people do the same thing now for freedom, convenience, their careers, fame. Lots of dramatic misinformation about tearing off limbs and society celebrating "baby murder". 

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 6

She is so insufferable, like it or not people will always seek abortion, legal or not. No one I know who has chosen abortion has made the decision lightly they did it because they felt it was the best decision for them in the situations they were in. Yes adoption is also an option but I can't imagine how hard it is to carry a baby for 9 months and then hand it over to someone else, those pro life people make it seem easy. 

Ashley made a baby registry for someone she met who decided to keep the baby and posted it for people to buy gifts and while that is a nice thing to do in general, her motives behind it are not nice and I doubt Ashley will care about the woman or her baby after she has met the baby and took a few pictures for social media and the mother will be left bringing up the child and may be struggling. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

On 10/28/2020 at 11:52 PM, AussieKrissy said:

Maybe that’s why she called it off? Barefoot and pregnant in a shack in the hills is far away from the picket line. 

Ashley reminds me of many, many conservative Catholics I've known. She would fit right in.

I watched her wedding on Instagram. Her wedding was (for this crowd) not conservative. They didn't refer to the groom as her headship. She didn't promise to obey him. They may have touched on that a tiny bit, but it was small so I missed it. The minister acted more like they were equals. 

If she had married Nathan, she would have to promise to obey him and look up to as her headship. 

Fundies don't agree on things, even though they worship the same God and vote the same way. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1