IGNORED

Bro. Gary Hawkins 15: Not Sweet Fellowshipping with JRod - Yet

nelliebelle1197

Wow, those cymbal crashes were... something. Perhaps they were to keep people awake? And the guy waving his hands around, did he think he was conducting an orchestra? Giggling and laughing during the reading of the letter was pretty strange... "So I told all those people I hated em and they were goin ta hell!!!" Oh, that's just so funny, hahaha, hehehe.  Wtf?

That was a strange 14 minutes and I didn't even watch bro hawk preach!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 9/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, thoughtful said:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+samuel+17%3A26-37&version=KJV

David and Goliath again, but a different part of the story. Gary does OK with reading, other than accusing Goliath of "defiling" the army, instead of defying them, again.

I'd be willing to bet there's fanfic of that somewhere. I'm not going to look it up.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:13 AM, thoughtful said:

Everybody wants to have a Baptist church in Mt. Airy, "Andy Griffin town" or Winston-Salem. "But we got these towns and we got these places all over America, 'n' they're goin' to Hell, 'n' nobody cares."

Come on Gary, it's "Griffith". 

And TBH I really don't think of "Baptist" when I think of Winston-Salem. I know there are plenty of Baptist churches there just like everywhere in the South, but my brain goes to "Moravian" when someone says "Winston-Salem" and "church" together.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:57 PM, thoughtful said:

As for altar calls, I'm not sure we can have an accurate sense of how often Gary does them. The videos usually cut off before the end of a service, sometimes before Gary is even done preaching or mumbling his final prayer. So, for lots, maybe most, there may have been an altar call that we just don't see.

He may be following the tradition of whatever church he is in. He, or his hosts, may make a distinction between Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening and revival services, and do altar calls for some but not all of those events. Gary hasn't been the Sunday school preacher for many videos that I've seen, but, when he is, I assume there wouldn't be an altar call after those, since Sunday service follows so closely after.

Generally the altar call is the entire point of revivals and guest preachers. At most churches I've been to there is always an altar call - on a usual Sunday it might be one person coming up to pray about something with the pastor, or somebody coming forward to join the church/accept Jesus (and those are usually known in advance, you'd usually talk to the pastor about it ahead of time). Revivals and special things are when you expect to get the sudden decisions and the coming up to pray. The "mountaintop experiences" so to speak - those are usually at revivals, retreats, etc.

In a Baptist church in the South I'd expect there to be an altar call at the end of every full service - always Sunday morning (but not Sunday school, that's not really a service so much as classes/discussion in most churches), at Sunday evening and Wednesday evening if those are actual services in the sanctuary, and at every revival and special service. The pastor stands in front of the pulpit and the congregation sings a hymn while anyone who wants to comes down. Beyond that it depends on the church - my church we just sing it through once and then the pastor prays and then sometimes the choir sings a short final song (usually something cheerful like "go out and tell" or an irish blessing) and we're done. If anyone has come forward to join the church, the pastor speaks about that before praying and then there's basically a receiving line up there to come speak to them as you leave.

At a revival, with a guest speaker, or at a very fundie church, altar call might be something much more. Like singing through "Just as I am" 20 times with the pastor (or guest pastor) moaning about getting saved in between every verse until someone finally comes up so he'll shut up so everybody can go eat lunch.

Some Baptist churches have clocks on the back wall where the pastor can see it. My pastor keeps his phone or watch on the podium. He's open about being very careful to get everyone out right at noon most Sundays, so when there's a special event and it runs late there's less complaining. Some churches joke about beating the other churches in town to the local restaurants for lunch.

** I have to note all my experiences above are for primarily white Baptist churches in the South. A couple of our African-American church members have mentioned that the primarily Black churches they grew up in have services that run much, much longer, like until mid afternoon. And of course there are always church-by-church differences.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

23 hours ago, smittykins said:

Many “fundegelical” churches have three(Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening).  As I’ve learned from the “Stuff Fundies Like” blog, there’s often an expectation to be there every time the doors are open, and “three to thrive” is a common saying. My former church has the three services, and although attendance on Sunday and Wednesday nights was encouraged, there was no pressure.

(I’ve read that it wasn’t uncommon for public schools in the Bible Belt to not schedule events or even give homework on Wednesday nights, on the assumption that everyone would be at church.)

I’m mainline Protestant (UCC), and grew up in a fairly conservative small town in PA w/ an assortment of other mainline Christian churches (no fundies in my hometown in the 80’s/90’s). Everyone knew that Wednesday nights were the nights churches had choir practice, confirmation classes, committee meetings, etc, so our schools did the same thing. No play practice or basketball/volleyball games Weds nights, and very light homework. I never gave it a second thought. 

• Upvote 8

I second everything @Alisamer said about altar calls. However, in the church I belonged to the longest (first Free Will Baptist, then non-denominational mega-church wannabe, then non-denom charismatic, now non-existent, lol), every damn altar call at every damn service was revival quality. At least 10-15 minutes long, and someone usually went up to pray alone at the altar because the asshole would not stop until someone came forward. If he was in one of his moods, he'd get mad & start yelling and jumping around if no one came up. 
One of the deacons once told me that they would usually decide before the service who was going to take one for the team & go pray so he'd shut up & everyone could go eat.

Some of the services used to be on YouTube, but most of the early ones have been scrubbed. Everything mellowed out & the man who regularly ranted against facial hair &  always wore a coat & tie to preach even on Wednesday nights can be seen in a couple of videos preaching in jeans & a Hawaiian shirt with a nice hipster stubble.

I did find a clip where he's doing his classic strutting & yelling, although wearing a sweater vest (which he would have once called "sissy"). To me it always looked like he was doing a Mick Jagger impression. You might see how Bro. Gary reminds me of this nut.

Spoiler

The church was set up for the drama they put on at various times, "The Judgement." I wish that gem was still floating around somewhere online.

Edited by FeministShrew
Added extra thought
  • Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 4

10 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

How the eff is it the River of Life if it has dead fish in it?

Up came a fried fish.... was it fileted? Was it breaded? So many questions...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Up came a fried fish.... was it fileted? Was it breaded? So many questions...

$5 says it was salt-and-pepper catfish. Since it was from a river. If the river includes ocean fish it might have been fried flounder filets.

Here in NC (probably also upstate SC, I'm not sure where else these are called this) we have what we call "fish camps". They are local fish restaurants that serve almost everything "Calabash style" which means breaded and fried, and you can get it salt-and-pepper if you want. Catfish is almost always on the menu, everything else is ocean fish like flounder, baby shrimp or deviled crab, with a side of french fries, maybe onion rings, and always hushpuppies. They might have fried chicken tenders. There is likely an all-you-can-eat option and/or buffet as well, if the huge combo plates aren't enough for you. Everything comes with tartar sauce and cole slaw. Typically it's a very casual sit-down restaurant, but you pay at a register by the exit which is always surrounded by a huge selection of candy. 

That's almost certainly what Gary is thinking of getting from the River of Life. A big fried catfish with tartar sauce and hushpuppies, with a glass of super-sweet iced tea.

As a kid, going to the fish camp was a huge treat - we didn't go out to eat often and if we did it was to a place like that. If we behaved well we were always allowed to choose something from the huge candy selection, which often had things you couldn't find anywhere else easily. Mom always got a huge tube of Necco Wafers. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

@Alisamer yep, they're called fish camps here, too. They're slowly dying out, but I have so many happy memories of Friday or Saturday night trips to a local fish camp. I want the pandemic to be over so we can go to our favorite, The Flounder here in Spartanburg, & have their Calabash-style chicken & shrimp. Even Mr. Shrew likes it, and he's a NC coastal native/seafood snob, lol!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Bro Gary loves talking about blood. I remember seeing one of the preaching clips on the Hawkins Family Ministries website, with him yelling “IT’S THROUGH THE BLERD!” (I’m mocking him here, not everyone who speaks with his accent). I don’t know huh if it was huh the same video huh with him going “huh” every few words.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

Gary's going to Bright Light Baptist Church in Falling Waters, WV.  I decided to look them up on Facebook and they're just Gary's kind of people.  The preacher is a young guy and this is what he put as part of his intro:  "Studied Repentance, Godly Sorrow, and what true beliefe is at Bright Light Baptist Bible College".  He's a shouty preacher and, apparently, has encouraged people to come forward and LAY ON THE FLOOR.  I shit you not.  

Pictures:

Spoiler

319402875_Screenshot(1611).thumb.png.83c98eca7fe4200cd1adf3a78ddd5eb7.png665680664_Screenshot(1612).thumb.png.57c3b2b57a3e0b3a4c3570e6f820ff83.png109462625_Screenshot(1613).thumb.png.1d8dc14a4bad59e16ebea67b62f21b40.png965152953_Screenshot(1615).png.e917fff8a4b90ce23581dd85033eef97.png175679931_Screenshot(1617).thumb.png.6f64b58680022cc24fad6a73d217db86.png

They stay in those positions for a few minutes and then return to their seats.  They also answer the preacher back with lots of "Amens".  Gary is going to be so happy.

I'm just sitting over here being appalled.

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 6

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

“IT’S THROUGH THE BLERD!” (I’m mocking him here, not everyone who speaks with his accent). I don’t know huh if it was huh the same video huh with him going “huh” every few words.

That describes a lot of them. I can't resist listening to find out if he will say something especially ridiculous or offensive, but he is very repetitive.

@Xan, thank you for researching the church. One of the things I find interesting about following Bro Gary is finding out about the various churches.

The prostrate position reminded me of this:

Spoiler

image.png.9769cd8f751c48f03ff84329aec73a37.png

If the folks at Bright Light are going to do it, they might as well make themselves into the shape of the cross while they're at it. Of course, I assume they'd be horrified at the idea of doing anything remotely Catholic.

Gary tells us that Jesus says "bullshit on that lost 100th lamb crap, I'm not comin' after you. Get your ass to church - Gary needs your money."

image.png.772a0ff057a70d67b4bc24a029323561.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

Tonight's service at Bright Light - no masks, no distance between people. They sing Amazing Grace and There's a Tavern in the Town - oops, I mean There is a Fountain Filled with Blood, very slowly but basically in tune.

A man testifies, and @Xan wasn't kidding - these people are very loud shouters. Gary may be the quiet little mouse in this group!

A woman sings A Sinner Like Me, among much shouting and screaming. Another man testifies - more shouting and screaming. A woman comes to the piano, and sings If Not For Grace - shouting and screaming mostly limited to ends of phrases and during the refrain (it seems there are rules).

A preacher who has the querulous sound of the old-time preachers Gary loves tells us that he has been having lung problems for the last two years (well, at least it pre-dates Covid), isn't feeling too well tonight, his wife is ill, and he almost didn't come. But God told him he had to go to church. Great.

He screams and rasps and pants with exhaustion, and I can't listen to him, it's so painful-sounding.

While fast-forwarding, though, I catch him shrieking about not liking to see young ones running around, and "Kool-aid stains in the house of God." Gary must love him.

I suspect there are some WTF gems in there, if anyone can handle listening to him:

Spoiler

The second preacher reads from Genesis (Cain and Abel's sacrifices), and rants about that, and, of course, the blood of Jesus, for a while.

I guess Gary gets his turn tomorrow. For this service, he (in the green shirt, on the aisle) and Becky and Jacob sat and listened.

Spoiler

image.png.17d6bf4a60f110cd36be037c6fd5cb21.png

• Thank You 10

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Kool-aid stains in the house of God.

For some reason I am finding this hilarious, and really want a cross-stitch with it or "Kool-aid stains in the House of the Lord".

Can we please have it as a thread title?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Im so torn... I don’t want more children indoctrinated in to horrible beliefs but not liking children in church is just disgusting. If you believe in these institutions youWANT to grow your church with young families and children. EVERY church I ever visited with children was welcoming and understanding if they fussed. I’d get up and leave immediately if some baboon shouted not liking children in church.

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, thoughtful said:

A preacher who has the querulous sound of the old-time preachers Gary loves tells us that he has been having lung problems for the last two years (well, at least it pre-dates Covid), isn't feeling too well tonight, his wife is ill, and he almost didn't come. But God told him he had to go to church. Great.

Oh lord. I don't hope for it, but I'm worried. I think in a week and then again in two weeks I'm going to try to remember to check the news reports on this church - because if it happens to be Covid...

Well, if they like Gary well enough, it's possible they might be looking for an interim pastor in a few weeks. Assuming Gary survives spreading it around the Walmarts himself.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

Im so torn... I don’t want more children indoctrinated in to horrible beliefs but not liking children in church is just disgusting. If you believe in these institutions youWANT to grow your church with young families and children. EVERY church I ever visited with children was welcoming and understanding if they fussed. I’d get up and leave immediately if some baboon shouted not liking children in church.

It was not a "get the kids out altogether" rant, it was a "when I was a kid, we respected church, now they run around like wild animals" rant.

So, if it makes you feel any better, he may have encountered some kids with good natural instincts about how to avoid the indoctrination.  Maybe someday they will find a church that doesn't scream about blood and burning all the time.

• Upvote 6

On 9/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, Alisamer said:

Some Baptist churches have clocks on the back wall where the pastor can see it. My pastor keeps his phone or watch on the podium. He's open about being very careful to get everyone out right at noon most Sundays, so when there's a special event and it runs late there's less complaining. Some churches joke about beating the other churches in town to the local restaurants for lunch.

In my catholic school back in the sixties the worst fate was to be in the fourth floor classroom with the nun who insisted on saying the Angelus before lunch. By the time we got down to the cafeteria they would be out of chocolate milk. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

In my catholic school back in the sixties the worst fate was to be in the fourth floor classroom with the nun who insisted on saying the Angelus before lunch. By the time we got down to the cafeteria they would be out of chocolate milk. 

In my Catholic school in the sixties, when the Angelus rang, you stood up and recited the Angelus... whether you were, like the first to third graders, already in the lunchroom eating, (kindy was half day only) or like the fourth to eighth graders, still in class. And those poor babies didn't get an extra five minutes of lunch time despite reciting the Angelus in the middle. And they counted out the milk.. we ordered the white or chocolate by class. Of course, it was the honor system, so sometimes there was a bit of loss...

I remember being in second grade, practicing for First Communion.. we had to stand in the lunch line with our hands folded, in complete silence... of course, we had to do a lot of interesting things like that.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

In my Catholic school in the sixties, when the Angelus rang, you stood up and recited the Angelus... whether you were, like the first to third graders, already in the lunchroom eating, (kindy was half day only) or like the fourth to eighth graders, still in class. And those poor babies didn't get an extra five minutes of lunch time despite reciting the Angelus in the middle. And they counted out the milk.. we ordered the white or chocolate by class. Of course, it was the honor system, so sometimes there was a bit of loss...

I remember being in second grade, practicing for First Communion.. we had to stand in the lunch line with our hands folded, in complete silence... of course, we had to do a lot of interesting things like that.

In my school days , attending a Dominican convent in England during the sixties, we had the choice of double maths or Benediction on a Wednesday afternoon.. I always chose the maths ...   an hour of extra prayer and sitting still was that boring ! 
I am definitely bound for hell .. but my mental arithmetic is stunning ?

• Haha 13

On 9/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, FeministShrew said:

@Alisamer yep, they're called fish camps here, too. They're slowly dying out, but I have so many happy memories of Friday or Saturday night trips to a local fish camp. I want the pandemic to be over so we can go to our favorite, The Flounder here in Spartanburg, & have their Calabash-style chicken & shrimp. Even Mr. Shrew likes it, and he's a NC coastal native/seafood snob, lol!

I grew up going to the Flounder in Cowpens -- is it the same one?  Gosh, this brings back so many memories!

• Upvote 3

There was another service this morning at Lite Brite - er, Bright Light. Lots of coughing and sniffling throughout.

They sing I Know My Name is There, The Old Account Was Settled (which starts entirely too much like The Farmer in the Dell - glad I'm not a kid in that church; I'd get into so much trouble), Won't It Be Wonderful There.

They have a shrieky singer, but I think it's a kid, not their resident JillRod, so I can forgive.

Then a prayer from the pastor (?), that includes this gem: "Ah pray that you rebuke this ol' coronavirus, I pray Lord that you rebuke all this Democratic mess that surrounds us, and I pray Lord that you'd help us to forget about all that old junk, and Lord thank you that we don't have to mask up in this place, glory hallelujah."

:mouse-shock:

The Hawkinses sing I Can't Quit (which is what I expected - I think they are more confident about that than any other number).

The first guest speaker, Bro. Craig Routon, reads from Psalm 106, then preaches, working up to screaming aggressively about how good God is, and coming out to point at people while he shouts, and they scream and shout back at him:

Spoiler

image.png.cc5c7066737dca0f594ff3de2870577d.png

Twice, he goes off into rants he claims he didn't plan on. One seems to be about the history of the church, when things were bad (indicated with some memory of Boy Scouts meetings, and men drinking beer in the parking lot), and the other about pretenders in the Baptist churches: "Mask-wearin' didn't just start with Fauci - it started a long time ago in the Baptist church. We have pretenders everywhere, people wearin' masks and pretendin' to be what they're not."

If you look in the Bible for instances of God being good, "somethin's gonna grab you like a barbed-wire girdle."

Somebody in this congregation has a loud fake laugh, just yelling "HA HA!" It gets really annoying, really fast.

The pastor sings and shouts, and there is more testifying and screaming from the congregation.

A man comes up (I think he may be the second preacher listed, but it's not clear), riffs on the goodness of God, then asks a woman to come up to join him, saying "Now, me and her have never done this," which makes it sound like something from a magic act.

Actually, she has agreed to interpret in ASL as he sings. He makes sure to tell us that the person who wrote the song was "physically handicapped," then sings Blessed Assurance.

Hey, dude - I know this happens with non-religious music, as well, but it gets to me sometimes, as a musician. Fanny Crosby wrote the words, but Phoebe Palmer Knapp composed the music, which is lovely.

Well, it's usually lovely  - he doesn't do too well with it. He asks them to stand and sing along. The pastor comes back up, and keeps them standing while he talks for a while. There are issues with the microphone, so whole chunks of the service are completely silent or hard to catch, and some of this is.

A couple comes up and sings It Will Pass, quite well.

The pastor gets them all shouting some more, and there are a few more testimonies, including a woman whose grandchildren are in public school and who always wanted to be part of their education. Her daughter has them doing the "distance training," because she didn't want them wearing a mask all day. But the daughter works two days a week, so "guess who gets to have the grandbabies two days a week? Because of the virus, I'm gonna get to teach my babies twice a week - God is good!"

:roll:

Edited by thoughtful
clarity
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

3 hours ago, Bettyhere said:

In my school days , attending a Dominican convent in England during the sixties, we had the choice of double maths or Benediction on a Wednesday afternoon.. I always chose the maths ...   an hour of extra prayer and sitting still was that boring !  my mental arithmetic is stunning ?

My Catholic high school had gym class 4 days a week, but on Fridays, there was Mass or study hall. The entire school (except for usually fewer than 10 people) went to Mass. I always thought it was because the nun who ran study hall was a real feisty one. Study hall was completely silent, and studying or work was done every minute.. 

So when Mass is more relaxed and interesting than study hall, well... you know you're Catholic in Catholic school! (and yes, even the Non Catholics usually attended Mass as well..

And Benediction! "Blessed be God, Blessed be His Holy Name, Blessed be Jesus Christ, true God and true man..."

I can go on but I'll spare you..

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Tonight at Bright Light, they began by singing I Want to Know More About My Lord, I'd Rather Be an Old Time Christian.

The pastor prays, among much shouting, A woman plays the piano and sings You've Been Good to Me.

The first guest preacher prays, reminds us that it's the last days, and reads

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=acts+27%3A21-24&version=KJV

and goes directly to full-volume, rhythmic chanting, with an "uh" at the end of every phrase. He is very hoarse, and has a hard time getting his breath. I hope this guy survives the camp meeting.

He tells us that if Christians weather the storms they're in, they might have an influence on "barbarious" people around them.

After his rant comes down to a soft ending, the pastor asks someone to sing Above the Storm. He preaches during the introduction, and continues, too softly for me to hear details, as she plays on after she finished singing.

The guest preacher gets up again, and starts talking to them, as well. I can't hear all of what he's saying, but he asks them to stand, and seems to be begging them emotionally to (?) get saved or call on God.

He sits down, and the pastor and piano continue - congregants are still standing.

Don't tell me this isn't performance.

Although there is still an hour and half to come, according the the video, this seems to be turning into an altar call. Becky and Gary and several other people go up, as the pastor yells "C'mon!"

A man lies down across the aisle - Jacob and some other people have to step over him to come to the front.

Spoiler

image.png.6999a376c92919481455eb86a17a1c2a.png

image.png.2cc41a4be7ec3b429c7c58daadb28cbf.png

Someone is moaning loudly.

And I just lost sound on the video, and I can't get it back. My speakers are working fine, I just can't hear this video. Clearly a sign from God that I should go to bed, and finish this tomorrow.

Have I mentioned that I have only heard two HAYMENs from Gary? I don't know if he is inattentive because he's not the center of attention, or just drowned out by the incredible loudness of the regulars.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, Xan said:

Gary's going to Bright Light Baptist Church in Falling Waters, WV.  I decided to look them up on Facebook and they're just Gary's kind of people.  The preacher is a young guy and this is what he put as part of his intro:  "Studied Repentance, Godly Sorrow, and what true beliefe is at Bright Light Baptist Bible College".  He's a shouty preacher and, apparently, has encouraged people to come forward and LAY ON THE FLOOR.  I shit you not.  

Pictures:

Hide contents

319402875_Screenshot(1611).thumb.png.83c98eca7fe4200cd1adf3a78ddd5eb7.png665680664_Screenshot(1612).thumb.png.57c3b2b57a3e0b3a4c3570e6f820ff83.png109462625_Screenshot(1613).thumb.png.1d8dc14a4bad59e16ebea67b62f21b40.png965152953_Screenshot(1615).png.e917fff8a4b90ce23581dd85033eef97.png175679931_Screenshot(1617).thumb.png.6f64b58680022cc24fad6a73d217db86.png

They stay in those positions for a few minutes and then return to their seats.  They also answer the preacher back with lots of "Amens".  Gary is going to be so happy.

I'm just sitting over here being appalled.

Would you call this Planking for Jesus?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 23
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Although there is still an hour and half to come, according the the video, this seems to be turning into an altar call. Becky and Gary and several other people go up, as the pastor yells "C'mon!"

A man lies down across the aisle - Jacob and some other people have to step over him to come to the front.

Someone is moaning loudly.

And I just lost sound on the video, and I can't get it back. My speakers are working fine, I just can't hear this video. Clearly a sign from God that I should go to bed, and finish this tomorrow.

Have I mentioned that I have only heard two HAYMENs from Gary? I don't know if he is inattentive because he's not the center of attention, or just drowned out by the incredible loudness of the regulars.

Well, I tried listening to it too and I didn't get any more than you did, thoughtful.  In fact, I don't even understand what's going on.  It seems the purpose is to just get more people up out of their seats and onto the floor.  There's a lot of talking and some laughing.  I don't really know why Gary is there.  He probably thought he'd have a bigger speaking part too.

It is just a succession of people finding places to lay or kneel.  Gary and Becky got up quick so they could get the prime spots and kneel at the altar.  I'm amused that Gary wasn't keen on laying face down on the carpet.

Here are pics.  As they used to say when I was a kid, "people were falling out all over the place":

Spoiler

2127573141_Screenshot(1626).png.5b2a6347d2b6af312e62bfd68e6af4b9.png619787317_Screenshot(1627).png.f620d4b452804ac891fc0c49047ed5c4.png548916688_Screenshot(1628).png.856192858ac451d722668d79acef6512.png240253040_Screenshot(1629).png.0a07ad9c119f1af7e094ffa9e506ba87.png

See the guy in the yellow shirt?  He was down for about 30 minutes.  I'm convinced he was taking a nap. He went face-down earlier but that one must not have enough or else he didn't have ample nap room.  At any rate, for his second face-down he parked himself near Gary's seat so old Gar couldn't get back in by the aisle. 

The lack of sound is a blessing.  The Almighty, Rufus, or the Universe was doing us all a kindness.  This is a church I would never attend.  

(And the "But God" sign is driving me crazy.  What does it mean?  And why didn't they get small letters that were the same size, at least?  Wait... Did they actually use a zero in place of the "o" for God?)

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 6
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 2

Murphy's Law - as soon as I gave up, the sound came back. Clearly a sign from God that I should stay up and finish listening to this service. ?

The pianist is still playing. People are still moaning, some are weeping and crying out. If some are genuinely troubled, and this is giving them comfort, I wish them well. But it all sounds so overwrought and forced.

Some return to their seats, stepping over the perpendicular man. Eventually he returns to his seat - no accidents were caused. All but one man have returned to their seats, when the pastor says something I can't catch, and they almost all get up, go to the front, and kneel or lie down again, all praying individually, out loud.

Spoiler

image.png.c99eb21a31e174adb3697788fd3e4acf.png

Gradually, they all return to chairs except for one young man (possibly a teen), who has been motionless for 35 minutes (several men have come to comfort him and lie down beside him, so I know he's not dead).

The pianist sounds like she wants to finish. Eventually, she starts singing the song again, instead of vamping.

The young man gets up and goes back to his seat. The pianist keeps playing, and there is a lot of yelling, handshaking and hugging at the front of the church, and quite a few of them, including Becky and Gary, come up to kneel or lie down for a third time.

Eventually, most come back to their seats, but there's a new holdout this time, in the middle of the aisle. One of the preachers gets up and tells a salvation story about a woman who had a speech impediment and never smiled, until she got saved. Lots of shouting ensues.

An hour after the first person came up to kneel or lie down, it looks like everybody is off of the floor, and the preacher is bellowing over the piano. People stand up and wave their arms and whoop and scream, and he does a little preacher dance:

Spoiler

image.png.e31923ba891d016fc05bb5ffa4795a2c.png

There are several more rounds of quiet, other than the piano, alternating with shouting and screaming for a few minutes each, led by the pastor or guest preacher. As one point, the pastor says "we got one up here praying," so I think there is someone was can't see, kneeling or lying down at the front right.

The pastor grabs a pair of cheerleader pompoms out of the lectern, and adds shaking them to his rant:

Spoiler

image.png.9d9005a08c67ae87f8f4397fb4327b89.png

Guest preacher screams about evil liberals and bad Baptists for a while. During this final rant, for about 10 minutes, two teenage girls are standing at the front right, arms folded over their waists, looking self-conscious. He finally sends them back to their seats.

The pianist finally gets to stop (having played for about an hour and half), and they rise for more shouting and sing Amazing Grace. More hugging and hand-shaking, with the two teen girls.

There's a comment under the post with the video, asking if Ally got saved, and the answer is yes, so that may have been what some of the screaming, hugging and handshaking was about. Don't know if that was one of the teens or someone else.

The pastor keeps them standing for another nine minutes of listening to him talk. Well, at least nine minutes - he's still talking, and they're still standing when the video cuts off at 2:48:42.

• WTF 3
  • Thank You 14

• samurai_sarah locked this topic