IGNORED

Bro. Gary Hawkins 15: Not Sweet Fellowshipping with JRod - Yet

nelliebelle1197

On 10/20/2020 at 10:41 PM, Ozlsn said:

He's what, 48?

He’s only 8 years older than me?! Hate preaching has not been kind to him! ?

• I Agree 5

8 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Somebody said they have been watching Gary's Facebook live, so Gary knows he is making a difference.

Hey, Gary, I watch your Facebook live, and not only do I not see Jesus through you, I wonder if you know anything at all about Jesus - when he was alive, that is.

image.png.e4ff4ceff40d1771511f340c59b88f2d.png

The problem is that he doesn't seem to understand that he alienates more people from religion than he "saves".  Watching Bro Gary has only pushed me farther away from fundamentalism.  He's about as far removed from Jesus' teachings as one can be.  The only person shining through Gary is Gary.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

Hey, wanna see Gary actually do some work, pounding in tent stakes? Here ya go:

https://www.facebook.com/Becky1976/videos/10158510804388614

Of course, he also snaps at Jacob, and he's putting up the unnecessary tent to do some some unnecessary screaming at people, so some things never change.

Oh, and we get to see the new ladder.

ETA to add a screen shot, for anyone who doesn't want to watch the video:

image.png.79aea008cf2c90174648a2482c314962.png

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 11

Gary posted a video last night to show everyone that "we do got the tent up." The Lord allowed them to do it one more time this side of eternity.

So dramatic.

Does David really like Gary's zeal, or is he just trying to show him how to spell "your?"

Spoiler

image.png.ac4141d4c78b5ac051490c345c34b508.png

This morning, under the tent, the video starts with the singing of I Know My Name Is There. Whoever is at the front (a relative of Gary, I assume, since this is the home church - he looks too young to be in Gary's generation - a nephew, perhaps?) waves, someone whistles, and he says he's going to "run through the prayer list real quick."

Spoiler

image.png.49750d174e4c2a9baeb0017b0f9d1829.png

As he's mumbling dully through it (it includes  prayers for Gary's kids to get a good education and serve God, and the news that Gary's mom is on a transplant list, as well as bored-sounding, emotionless reading of names of people who have lost loved ones to death or have cancer, like he was reading a grocery list), we suddenly see this:

Spoiler

image.png.9bd5d49254595fd72bc20160f68a7e98.png

Woah! Hi, Gary's dad! Someone comes in and flips the phone back around.

More prayers, then the choir comes up - hey, they have a choir! They groan and yell their way through Jesus Rescues Me and A Love That Won't Stop, a cappella, then He's Still on the Throne, with guitar and vocal solo from Caleb. Gary, Becky and Jacob join Caleb to try to figure out how to start together and find a tempo (still not succeeding), then  they plow through Standing on the Rock of Ages and moan I Can Trust Jesus.

Gary's dad, Danny, comes up to the front. He thanks the singers, then thanks the Sunday school teachers for making exit signs. Really, Danny? They're six bucks at Home Depot.

"Ah lahk t'go bah the law if ah can, and man, when it don't cost much, so we got the fahr extinguisher, and ya gotta trah t'understand, you all know how many tents you've heard of burnin' down over the years."

He goes on to tell us about all of the laws he's had to comply with over the years, including taking a test to get certified to dig a well. The test, and the book to study for it were, of course, made up by people who'd never dug a well, so "it ain't worth two cents."

I guess the scorning-book-larning apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Spoiler

image.png.4e9f3ae12027ce7f36145e020f12edac.png

See the fire extinguisher? I love the almost-symmetrical display of KFC buckets, offering trays, and . . . um . . . magician's half-flattened top hats? . . . bowtie displays? . . .  combination Hellween  hat/Easter bonnets? :confusion-shrug:

Danny doesn't know how he got off on that tangent. Good - I'm looking forward to hearing some clear, on-point preaching.

"Let's put some politics in there! Thank God for a president who's gettin' rid o' some of, ah asked 'em if they could ever get down to the counties, they said well prob'ly not, but uh, heheheh, be good it if did. Thinkin' about they gon' build a tower down there 'n' the way ah count that thing, tin thousand dollars, ah'm hopin' we could git bah with eight, somewhere between eight and tin thousand dollars, it would be better, much much better, all way aroun', if ah could take a scratch, strike a match, and ah could burn that money, and 'at'd be the end of it. But ah gotta give 'em that money for them to come and pester me, while we build a tower, what ah'd like to do is build it where it'd stay up. And uh, ah, but if ah git on that we won't be worth anything this mornin' ah but you know, ah told him when we went over it, and ah told - heheh - he got mad. Ah said ah will ah just money 'n' all this ah'm spending, it's not goin' over a tower. Well, he made it plain, you gotta do all that, yes sir. Yes sir, we gotta come out 'n' check to see if there's a Injun graveyard around there. Ah kin tell 'em already there's not, and if it was, they wouldn't know how to - what to do about it. But ah gotta give, whatta they say, oh, about a thousand dollars there if ah'm lucky. Isaiah, chapter 1 and verse 18. Isaiah, chapter 1, verse 18. Ah do think today, ah wonder, how many more towers that we could have up today, reachin' out and givin' the Gospel in how many places, if it wadn't for laws like this. . . .

Spoiler

Come now, let us reason together . . . "

:laughing-rolling:

Yes, that is the Bible verse he begins after this e.e. cummings-and-Gertrude-Stein-had-a-baby ramble.

I may have misinterpreted a few words here and there, but that is what he said, with barely a pause, without prelude  or explanation, and going right into announcing the verse, complaining about the laws around putting up a tower, then reading the verse.

Again, we know what tree the Gary-apple came from!

Danny, I'm pretty sure, from your last statement, that you are talking about a radio tower, but I think you're more suited to the tower of Babel.

How does this family communicate with one another? I'm imagining 5 minute rambling discourses of fragmented half-sentences to communicate "please put toilet paper on the shopping list" or "have you seen  my car keys?" How do they get anything done?

Anyway, here's the rest of the verse, not that it has anything to do with what he says next.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+1%3A18&version=KJV

Danny's preaching is much like Gary's - dropping names of old-time preachers, frying in Hell (like sausage) for eternity, wanting God to meet with them, we're living in the last days, old rugged cross, torture, KJV is perfect, etc.

He says his grandfather used to call their county the most backward county in the USA, and now Danny thinks it's a little too far forward.

Back in them days, he pretended a tobacco stick was a hobby horse and "rode" it, and slid down a hill on a pasteboard box sled - never had a store-bought sled, of course. Much more fun than all them electrical things the kids have now.

He tells us that Jesus went to Hell for us, and took our place, and he don't care if that harelips a lot of people (he also checks to make sure he's not getting too deep for us).

"We're raht at the blink of a presidential election, and if it goes the wrong way, oh mah God, one o' these days if we - it could be this, but then was to happen, ah mean it won't be long until ah wouldn't be able to stand up here and preach. We'd have to be in caves, 'n' lahk it used to be."

"More 'n' more pleasures comin' in the world, more 'n' more riots - have you ever heard the like? Ah mean EHHverybody's got the equal rights now. Ah mean, heheh ah heard a preacher say the other day, you know the barrr* he's got more rahts than we have, the animals, y'all know what ah'm talkin' about, they gotta have their rahts, 'n' EHHhverybody's gotta have their rahts. Anybody when they get rights they have to take it from somthin' 'n' somebody's losin' rahts for thim to git rahts."

*bear

You'd better get saved, because today could be your last day, or even everyone's last day. We're right at the blink!

Edited by thoughtful
clarity
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 8

Wow, proto-Weenese!  It’s really baffling how he manages to hang onto a congregation.  Unless...do they all speak like that?  What’s the tower?  A cell tower so their babble broadcast can reach the masses?  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

I guess the scorning-book-larning apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

As he's mumbling dully through it (it includes  prayers for Gary's kids to get a good education 

Oh, that's something even the most stone-cold atheist among us prays for.

"Let's put some politics in there! Thank God for a president who's gettin' rid o' some of, ah asked 'em if they could ever get down to the counties, they said well prob'ly not, but uh, heheheh, be good it if did. Thinkin' about they gon' build a tower down there 'n' the way ah count that thing, tin thousand dollars, ah'm hopin' we could git bah with eight, somewhere between eight and tin thousand dollars, it would be better, much much better, all way aroun', if ah could take a scratch, strike a match, and ah could burn that money, and 'at'd be the end of it. But ah gotta give 'em that money for them to come and pester me, while we build a tower, what ah'd like to do is build it where it'd stay up. And uh, ah, but if ah git on that we won't be worth anything this mornin' ah but you know, ah told him when we went over it, and ah told - heheh - he got mad. Ah said ah will ah just money 'n' all this ah'm spending, it's not goin' over a tower. Well, he made it plain, you gotta do all that, yes sir. Yes sir, we gotta come out 'n' check to see if there's a Injun graveyard around there. Ah kin tell 'em already there's not, and if it was, they wouldn't know how to - what to do about it. But ah gotta give, whatta they say, oh, about a thousand dollars there if ah'm lucky. Isaiah, chapter 1 and verse 18. Isaiah, chapter 1, verse 18. Ah do think today, ah wonder, how many more towers that we could have up today, reachin' out and givin' the Gospel in how many places, if it wadn't for laws like this. . . .

I may have misinterpreted a few words here and there, but that is what he said, with barely a pause, without prelude  or explanation, and going right into announcing the verse, complaining about the laws around putting up a tower, then reading the verse.

Again, we know what tree the Gary-apple came from!

Danny, I'm pretty sure, from your last statement, that you are talking about a radio tower, but I think you're more suited to the tower of Babel.

That was more argle-bargle than I think we've even heard from Gary and that's saying a lot. I gather he was hoping the Trump campaign would come to his town? And something about a tower?

He says his grandfather used to call their county the most backward county in the USA, and now Danny thinks it's a little too far forward.

Nope. If there's a more backward county in the USA I do not want to know about it.

He tells us that Jesus went to Hell for us, and took our place, and he don't care if that harelips a lot of people (he also checks to make sure he's not getting too deep for us).

What was that about people with cleft palates? He kind of lost me on that one.

"We're raht at the blink of a presidential election, and if it goes the wrong way, oh mah God, one o' these days if we - it could be this, but then was to happen, ah mean it won't be long until ah wouldn't be able to stand up here and preach. We'd have to be in caves, 'n' lahk it used to be."

Finally,something he and I agree on. But maybe with a different kind of wrong way.

"More 'n' more pleasures comin' in the world, more 'n' more riots - have you ever heard the like? Ah mean EHHverybody's got the equal rights now. Ah mean, heheh ah heard a preacher say the other day, you know the barrr* he's got more rahts than we have, the animals, y'all know what ah'm talkin' about, they gotta have their rahts, 'n' EHHhverybody's gotta have their rahts. Anybody when they get rights they have to take it from somthin' 'n' somebody's losin' rahts for thim to git rahts."

That Is Not How It Works! There are not rahts police that come to your door, Danny, and take away one of your rahts so same-sex couples can marry, or so black people can go to bed at night without fearing that the police are going to kick in their front door and murder them in cold blood. Danny, you haven't even had to give up your raht to be an ignorant bigot!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

Obama was President for eight years, and nobody ended up living in caves. Why would anyone think that would happen if Biden became President? 

And no, not everyone has equal rights, you ignorant twerp.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

12 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

proto-Weenese!

I love it!

I'm pretty sure it's a radio tower he wants to build. Danny has a radio station. Imagine that.

https://www.oldpathsradio.com/

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I gather he was hoping the Trump campaign would come to his town? And something about a tower?

I think he wants Trump's disregard of safety and environmental laws to come to his county, so he doesn't have to have exit signs, a fire extinguisher, or follow any laws when building a radio tower.

"I don't care if it harelips______ (the devil, the preacher, the Pope, whoever- usually it's an authority figure and/or an adversary)" is a Southeastern US expression that means someone is determined to do something no matter what the consequences. It has nothing to do with actual cleft palates, and I've never been able to find a source for this weird collection of words - maybe that one will do whatever it is even if it splits the lip of an important person who will then punish you for splitting their lip? :confusion-shrug:

Gary uses it occasionally, which is the reason I know it.

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

That Is Not How It Works! There are not rahts police that come to your door, Danny, and take away one of your rahts so same-sex couples can marry, or so black people can go to bed at night without fearing that the police are going to kick in their front door and murder them in cold blood. Danny, you haven't even had to give up your raht to be an ignorant bigot!

Wasn't that just the stupidest rant? It doesn't come as any surprise that Danny and Gary have that zero-sum, Us vs. Them mentality. They'd be so much happier if they could see all of the possible win-win solutions in the world.

12 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Obama was President for eight years, and nobody ended up living in caves.

I'm pretty sure he meant they'd have to have church in caves - Gary spews this same crap.

And, I'm with you - doesn't anyone ever notice that it never happened under Obama, Clinton, Carter, Johnson, Kennedy . . .

12 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

It’s really baffling how he manages to hang onto a congregation

They are all family members.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 5

5 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Forward of what, the Taliban?

He tells us that Jesus went to Hell for us,

Er... is that actually in the Bible? Because that never came up that I remember. Died, yes. Died pretty horribly, also yes. Was dead (and stinking, thanks Gary) from Fri afternoon until Sunday morning also yes.

Went to Hell, WTELF?

he don't care if that harelips a lot of people

.. helps? It makes no sense to me however I look at it.

Ah do think today, ah wonder, how many more towers that we could have up today, reachin' out and givin' the Gospel in how many places, if it wadn't for laws like this. . . .

Given that he appears to be preaching in a particularly obscure language I don't think it would matter how many towers he had - his only audience would still be related to him.

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I'm pretty sure he meant they'd have to have church in caves - Gary spews this same crap.

On the positive side that'd put quite a few restrictions on Gary's travels - I am in favour! Limit him to selected cave systems.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"I don't care if it harelips______ (the devil, the preacher, the Pop, whoever- usually it's an authority figure and/or an adversary)" is a Southeastern US expression that means someone is determined to do something no matter what the consequences. It has nothing to do with actual cleft palates, and I've never been able to find a source for this weird collection of words - maybe that one will do whatever it is even if it splits the lip of an important person who will then punish you for splitting their lip? :confusion-shrug:

Thankee Thoughtful. It never would have occurred to me to check the urban dictionary for a word that GHaw uses.  

Harelip

v. To hit someone in the face so hard it splits the upper lip. Normally it's used figuratively. "It's going to harelip Uncle Cracker when he finds out he's got African blood. The joke's on that racist POS!"

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Forward of what, the Taliban?

Well, the Hawkins family is pretty Talibanish, but It does sound like there are local rules about building, and a process, and fees, just like there are in every place that has a government of some sort. So I think Danny was complaining about it not being some imagined Olden Days, when a man could just slap together a radio tower (or keep pigs, or pollute the local water with runoff from processing tobacco) wherever and however he damn pleases.

I think it's a pretty common theme with these guys that, whenever someone, regardless of political bent, reminds them that there are laws about something, they react with "muh rahts" and "the Demoncrats are to blame" and "back in the old days, we could do whatever we wanted - that was freedom, that was the real America," even though it's all bullshit.

There have always been laws of some sort. But I think their rosy view of the past, ignoring the fact that their ancestors may have been breaking laws, development into what used to be wild areas or individual farms, and their scorn of laws being added that honor native history, the environment, or the safety of wild animals, make them think it's all modern, liberal nonsense. The fact that North Carolina has an evil Democrat for a governor doesn't help - they can blame Cooper for everything.

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Er... is that actually in the Bible? Because that never came up that I remember. Died, yes. Died pretty horribly, also yes. Was dead (and stinking, thanks Gary) from Fri afternoon until Sunday morning also yes.

Went to Hell, WTELF?

He did cite a verse for that - I should have made note of it.

This is controversial, it seems, even in their circles. I know I've heard it before - Gary preaches it, as well. I think it's based on this:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=acts+2%3A27-31&version=KJV

Non-KJV translations say Jesus was with the dead, not specifically in Hell.

More here: https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/faith-culture/did-jesus-descend-into-hell/

And I'm sure you can find more about it. But it seems it is a belief in some circles. It makes the idea that Jesus took all of the possible punishment for us even stronger, so they can be even more horrified that ingrates like me won't believe.

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Given that he appears to be preaching in a particularly obscure language I don't think it would matter how many towers he had - his only audience would still be related to him.

Really. I think a linguist should go study these people. They're like Nell.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

On the positive side that'd put quite a few restrictions on Gary's travels - I am in favour! Limit him to selected cave systems.

And to only traveling from one to another underground.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Thankee Thoughtful. It never would have occurred to me to check the urban dictionary for a word that GHaw uses.  

Harelip

v. To hit someone in the face so hard it splits the upper lip. Normally it's used figuratively. "It's going to harelip Uncle Cracker when he finds out he's got African blood. The joke's on that racist POS!"

I saw that, as well. It does seem like the only logical way the expression came to be, but I'm not sure anybody really knows.

Gary wants more gigs:

Spoiler

image.png.0ee518b5fd0d06d613e1f7057c6a82ea.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Well, the Hawkins family is pretty Talibanish, but It does sound like there are local rules about building, and a process, and fees, just like there are in every place that has a government of some sort. So I think Danny was complaining about it not being some imagined Olden Days, when a man could just slap together a radio tower (or keep pigs, or pollute the local water with runoff from processing tobacco) wherever and however he damn pleases.

I think it's a pretty common theme with these guys that, whenever someone, regardless of political bent, reminds them that there are laws about something, they react with "muh rahts" and "the Demoncrats are to blame" and "back in the old days, we could do whatever we wanted - that was freedom, that was the real America," even though it's all bullshit.

There have always been laws of some sort. But I think their rosy view of the past, ignoring the fact that their ancestors may have been breaking laws, development into what used to be wild areas or individual farms, and their scorn of laws being added that honor native history, the environment, or the safety of wild animals, make them think it's all modern, liberal nonsense. The fact that North Carolina has an evil Democrat for a governor doesn't help - they can blame Cooper for everything.

He did cite a verse for that - I should have made note of it.

This is controversial, it seems, even in their circles. I know I've heard it before - Gary preaches it, as well. I think it's based on this:

More here: https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/faith-culture/did-jesus-descend-into-hell/

And I'm sure you can find more about it. But it seems it is a belief in some circles. It makes the idea that Jesus took all of the possible punishment for us even stronger, so they can be even more horrified that ingrates like me won't believe.

Really. I think a linguist should go study these people. They're like Nell.

Reveal hidden contents

And to only traveling from one to another underground.

I saw that, as well. It does seem like the only logical way the expression came to be, but I'm not sure anybody really knows.

Gary wants more gigs:

Hide contents

Translation: We want to spend the winter traveling out west, and we'd love to go lounge on the beach (and complain about nekkid people) in California specifically. Then once it starts to warm up again we want to go up North where it's cooler. We'll knock on a handful of doors and sing and yell at you if you just put us up and feed us while we travel so we don't have to work real jobs! We have our own tent and KFC buckets to take up a love offering with.

Seriously I need to start a ministry.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

14 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Gary wants more gigs:

Hide contents

No big surprise.  Gary, the fundie snowbird, wants some warmer areas to invite him during the winter months and then he can summer up north.  I'm just surprised that he didn't add Florida into his list of January through April states.  

You know, Gar, I just don't believe the LORD has call you to do any of this.  I think you just want to do it.  None of this is the LORD will.  And I don't think you want to reach the "lost world".  Those dinosaurs will eat you for lunch.

• Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

I really want to invite him to my surrounding area... Kensington is the next neighborhood over, heroin capital, free market drugs, zombie apocalypse (people on fentanyl look/act like zombies). BroHawk wants to reach the lost, what better way? There are great churches down here trying to help, they'd find some way to use him. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, thoughtful said:
  Hide contents

image.png.4e9f3ae12027ce7f36145e020f12edac.png

what now?

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

I’m pretty sure the Anglican Church believe Jesus descended into Hell.  While he was there he took the keys of death and life.  

Why is Gary not worried about his mom?  Waiting for a transplant ffs and Becks is having health issues too.  Gary is a selfish POS.  I don’t like his idiot dad either.

I’m so happy I escaped all this BS.

Edited by Don'tlikekoolaid
Added stuff
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

A really great quote (attributed to different people over the last 20 or so years) describes this phenomenon perfectly, "When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 4

15 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I’m pretty sure the Anglican Church believe Jesus descended into Hell.  While he was there he took the keys of death and life.  

Now I've fallen down a rabbit hole of looking at versions of the Apostles Creed, and am amused to see my own church does in fact have descending into Hell in there - but it's not used in service often (well, not when I'm there at least). The Anglicans appear to have modified it to "for three days he was among the dead" or "he descended and was among the dead". 

Haven't seen anything about keys in there, but given how badly I apparently remember theology they could mention Christ stealing all the cutlery as well and I'd probably have forgotten it!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, thoughtful said:

More here: https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/faith-culture/did-jesus-

Some versions of the Apostles’ Creed have the line “He descended into Hell.”(My grandma’s Presbyterian church used to say it like that.)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Some versions of the Apostles’ Creed have the line “He descended into Hell.”(My grandma’s Presbyterian church used to say it like that.)

Apparently there are two versions; the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed. My church (UCC) uses both, but primarily the Nicene Creed, which was heresy in its day (325 AD). 
https://media.ascensionpress.com/2020/02/07/differences-between-the-nicene-and-apostles-creeds/

I always get the Apostles’ Creed and the Statement of Faith confused, so I had to google to find it anyway. My mother would be proud to know that I guessed got it right the first time. 

Edited by Lillymuffin
Phone corrected “Nicene” to “Niceness”
  • Upvote 5

True, but I’ve also seen “He descended to the dead” in the Apostles’ Creed.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4

OK Folks it’s time for the fanatics to take over Halloween (as if).

Gary loves weens just not hallow ones.  ?

Spoiler

DADA66EE-5B03-47B6-9DD2-901255D9374B.jpeg.f6ee1cea23d833a751b2b48634291261.jpeg

• Haha 18

7 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

OK Folks it’s time for the fanatics to take over Halloween (as if).

Gary loves weens just not hallow ones.  ?

Hide contents

DADA66EE-5B03-47B6-9DD2-901255D9374B.jpeg.f6ee1cea23d833a751b2b48634291261.jpeg

Do they not see that the way (I’m guessing) the rest of us see that? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3

"run through the prayer list real quick."

ain't nobody got the time to pray slow

I wouldn't click on JesusWeen.com, I'd be worried that it's a really disturbing porn site.

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 5

• samurai_sarah locked this topic