IGNORED

Bro. Gary Hawkins 15: Not Sweet Fellowshipping with JRod - Yet

nelliebelle1197

Gary did a 17 minute video while driving. Lots of tooth sucking in this one - he does tell us they just ate.

He reviews what they've been doing, including telling us that they bought new sound equipment (to go with the ladder and the new lights, I guess. Gary, did you get those exit signs?).

Wherever he goes, he sees church buildings, but are they good Bahble-believing churches? It's mostly his usual guilt-mongering rant about wanting preachers to open churches, including working a job on the side "Mah bable says ya don't work ya don't eat!" :headdesk:

"We cain't have wimmen preachers, anybody who believes in wimmen preachers, best thing for you to do is set down, you are disqualifahd HAYMUN!"

Whiteville used to have two good Baptist churches, but "one of 'em went Calvinistic, one of 'em went off the wall."

Becky interrupts Gary's rant at one point, to tell him that there was a Trump parade in Kansas City today, and over 4000 cars were in it. Google showed me nothing about this event.

Oh, and Gary tells us he will be taking Becky to some doctor appointments this week, for tests 'n' stuff.

ETA - I forgot in which video it was - I think the regular Sunday service, but, when Gary was on one of his rants about how any of us could die at any moment, he made it clear that it was the BIL of Ernie's cook at the restaurant, not Ernie's BIL, who suddenly died. I was wondering why Ernie would be under the tent if he's just lost a family member.

I apologize for my previous error, but Weenese is such a difficult language.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

6 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Gary preached Sunday school this morning, at Lynn Hill Baptist Church in Whiteville NC

Was that live seriously supposed to be Sunday school? Aimed at children, or is it different there?

So let's see, Gary:

1. Gossiped about churches and complained about how few 'real' ones there are (side note of tent church planting)

2. Told an anecdote about suicide.

3. Claimed that the Gospel kills people

4. Bitched about people, some of whom the congregation probably know in person

5. Made a joke about dying of covid

6. Admitted he plans to break the law while driving.

You know I'm pretty sure this congregation could find someone who's a better example, more coherent and actually talks about the Bible in a child-friendly manner. Like, basically anyone else. Geez.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, thoughtful said:

He says he wants to preach on What If the Lord Don't Come, Where Will You Be?

Whoa, for Gary, this sounds really radical.

I suspect Gary would be up a certain creek without a paddle frankly.

"Yeah, ah'm a little bit on the mean sahd, that's what mah wahf made me that way."
Becky (quietly): "He was mean before he met me."

Oh Becky. You do not have to stay in a relationship with a man who belittles you, and who was and is indeed mean. I disagree with close to all her beliefs, but she is still worth more than that. 

I don't know if he thinks he's making himself sound more brave and Godly by lying

Less than a week after the post on Facebook where you can see that he is in fact just a blowhard, barefaced liar.

Seriously Lynn Hill Baptist - have some self-respect and stop supporting this loser.

to hit and run with Jesus.

Great description, although with his lives-while-driving I hope that never happens. 

He needs to swagger around without a mask

And be the Biggest Man in the room, the smartest, the loudest, the holiest. He wouldn't last long anywhere permanently because he is a sore, pathetic loser and deep down he knows it. 

4 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"Mah bable says ya don't work ya don't eat!

Finally, Gary's diet plan explained.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Was that live seriously supposed to be Sunday school? Aimed at children, or is it different there?

Most fundamentalist/evangelical churches have adult Sunday school programs.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

In case you had any doubt:

image.png.d78620a61b2430e4f08e347126c6cae2.png

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Oh Becky. You do not have to stay in a relationship with a man who belittles you, and who was and is indeed mean. I disagree with close to all her beliefs, but she is still worth more than that. 

I agree. But she didn't say that in a sad tone - I get the impression that Gary and Becky tease back and forth, probably about equally.

I hate teasing, and find that it often has an underlying edge of real disrespect, ongoing arguments, and pain. I suspect theirs does. But, at this point, I don't think that Becky is trapped with an abuser. She gets her digs in, especially about his inability to use language and his forgetfulness.

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:
12 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"Mah bable says ya don't work ya don't eat!

Finally, Gary's diet plan explained.

:laughing-jumpingpurple:

4 hours ago, smittykins said:

This has been the case in all of the Bro Gary videos in church that have shown a Sunday school session. Both the Sunday school and service are for everyone, adults included. I would imagine that, in well-run churches without idiot pastors, there is a distinction between the two sessions.

But, in the churches that invite Gary, Sunday school seems to be an hour of whatever the preacher wants to say about a reading from the Bible (and, as we've just seen, sometimes without one), then the regular service is an hour and a half or more, with singing before and after and a collection, including about another hour of whatever the preacher wants to say about some more readings from the Bible.

And then there's another service on Sunday afternoon or evening, and another mid-week. As I've said before, it sort of astounds me that they pride themselves on having no set prayers (and, while most seem to do a similar sequence, I'm not sure there is an official service order, either), and yet are much more repetitive than any Episcopalian, Jewish or Catholic service I've ever been to, despite those traditions having official prayers, creeds and service orders.

I have yet to hear a message, reading or song (except for a few of the children's songs) about how to live one's life, help others, emulate Jesus' actions, face challenges, etc. They never seem to do an interactive Sunday school lesson or service, other than the expectation that people will yell and moan in response to the preacher.

Every. Single. One. is about being saved so you will go to Heaven when you die. Blood of Jesus to the nth degree. Gary occasionally mentions the stuff they interpret to mean they should beat their children and hate gay and nonbinary people, says he doubts someone's salvation due to their behavior, or threatens that everybody had better vote Republican, but that's as close as I've ever heard any of them come to actually talking about anything other than salvation.

No insight, no warmth, no guidance, nothing about the teachings of Jesus (or anyone else in the Bible who gave advice beyond "believe in this one story or burn").

It's bizarre.

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

Becky posted:

Spoiler

1.PNG.72dcface1c63bc2bf5b007ee7452533c.PNG

1696228971_picwGaryincluded.thumb.PNG.5ead32c552df96623a540646a64b912d.PNG

Most comments are just Trumpies cheering her on, then Gary felt compelled to answer someone:

Spoiler

2.PNG.de0053ad89b532de49fdb8bbec1290e3.PNG3.PNG.a9c62728df4a3dfc7dff1357800be4dd.PNG

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 9

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

No insight, no warmth, no guidance, nothing about the teachings of Jesus (or anyone else in the Bible who gave advice beyond "believe in this one story or burn").

It strikes me that this variant of Baptist - at least the Bro Gary Version - is a very joyless kind of Christianity. It must be an exhausting cult to be in - you can never be sure that you believed enough, that you said the exact words correctly, that your salvation was accepted, that you aren't doomed to burn in hell. 

8 hours ago, smittykins said:

So.. like Bible study? How does it differ from church services? Also just how much church are these people supposed to attend, no wonder they're always joking about food! I'm starving after a 9am service going for an hour to 90 minutes!!

Also I am glad to see Gary, Becky and Jacob at the polls. I disagree entirely with their choice of candidate, but glad to see them engaging in civic responsibility. 

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

So.. like Bible study? How does it differ from church services? Also just how much church are these people supposed to attend, no wonder they're always joking about food! I'm starving after a 9am service going for an hour to 90 minutes!!

In my experience, the Sunday School portion was more of a “teaching” session. Could be anything on what the Bible says on certain topics/issues or sometimes it was a Bible study. I would say Sunday School is a little less formal and gives room for questions & discussion, whereas the main service is strictly listening to the sermon. It makes for a long morning, especially since Baptist sermons usually go well over an hour. One church I went to had Sunday School at 9:45am, and then there was a 15 minute break before the main sermon which ended around 12:30pm. That’s almost 3 hours. I hated it, and we had to turn around and come back at 7pm!

Also, all of the IFB churches I grew up attending expected members to be heavily involved. That meant attending Sunday School, 3 services a week (Sunday AM, PM & Wednesday PM), and at least one small group/Bible study/outreach held during the week. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

Incidentally, my current pastor (the one who has a doctorate, supports women pastors, has only one child - a daughter majoring in science in college right now, and has a college educated wife who works full time) grew up in Whiteville. The church he grew up in is apparently very fundie Baptist - but it’s not this one as far as I know. It might be one of the ones Gary gossips about. Maybe he heard about the one time they let my pastor preach as a guest and he talked about the importance of female leadership in the church...

it seems like a pretty fundie area there. 

• Upvote 8

There were those that fault for your right to vote, so you'd better vote straight Republican!

Spoiler

image.png.e5fb84ba6320dd8d778c97b74242079e.png

Rodney could be a rich source of cross stitch projects:

Spoiler

image.png.d1363b3e1aa32d1c7d62a12a94d840ce.png

Don't you be nosey, because Gary is just trying to be helpful.

I don't know about Lot's health issues, but I would imagine his wife had high blood pressure - gotta watch the sodium! 

No one is will to step up - are we allowed to step up if our name is not Will?

Spoiler

image.png.3aaa7ab67798e32ab74ed6732fc32c18.png

image.png.ca70f6c153a233e83b96e718865c56ef.png

• Haha 6
  • Thank You 5

I can't wait to hear Gary crack jokes about the name Saxapahaw. And I think you skipped a verb there, Gary.

image.png.8a4f56a6e1d72fef54e88214a48d6c3c.png

• Thank You 8

10 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

I can't wait to hear Gary crack jokes about the name Saxapahaw. And I think you skipped a verb there, Gary.

image.png.8a4f56a6e1d72fef54e88214a48d6c3c.png

How does he keep getting these gigs?  He doesn't have that many Facebook visitors.  Is "word of mouth" that strong a force in the fundie communities?    And what kind of fools have a revival during what appears to be a Covid peak?  I'm just hoping that, since it's past the election, NC will shut down again and they'll outlaw big gatherings -- not that it ever stops Gary but it might slow down attendance.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Xan said:

How does he keep getting these gigs? 

I think he contacts various pastors and says he'll do a gig for free, just put us up somewhere and let us take up a "love offering". Pastor thinks to himself, well that's one sermon I don't have to prepare, and there's that old parsonage they could stay in as long as it's not raining too hard. . .so, yeah, c'mon down.

19 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

There's a lesson that you prepare for and then a  group discussion. I used to say that I would go to Sunday School again if I ever found myself passing through Plains, GA and could attend the class Jimmy Carter taught, before and after and sometimes during his presidency. 

Yes, it is long. SS at 9:45, morning service lets out ~noon. People sneak in hard candy to tide them over.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I just read about a study done by the Public Religion Research Institute on voting issues.  The ONLY group who doesn't count the pandemic as one of their three most important concerns is white evangelicals.   (This group also has a high rate of concern [63%] over abortion.)   Also, 66% of them thought that the group facing the most discrimination was... wait for it... CHRISTIANS!   The first person I thought about was Bro Gary.  

White evangelicals not only don't think the pandemic is important, I get the feeling that they don't even think it's real.  And they think a mostly-Christian country is discriminating against Christians.  I'm just going to softly bang my head on my desk for a while now...

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I don't know about Lot's health issues, but I would imagine his wife had high blood pressure - gotta watch the sodium! 

Hide contents

So there is a church that Gary could take over available and he is basically going "thoughts and prayers here people..." - and then he'll whinge about there being no true KJV churches for him to grift preach at.

54 minutes ago, Xan said:

White evangelicals not only don't think the pandemic is important, I get the feeling that they don't even think it's real. 

I agree - I think they also see it as something which only afflicts the unrighteous in blue states (based solely on Gary and JRod they may have a point - if ever anyone was the source of an outbreak waiting to happen it's those two). So real, but not something that is going to affect them personally.

You know if Biden gets in and they offer another stimulus I am going to be So Tempted to set up a fake FB profile and chastise Gary for accepting it... 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

So there is a church that Gary could take over available and he is basically going "thoughts and prayers here people..." - and then he'll whinge about there being no true KJV churches for him to grift preach at.

The fact that he rants so often about others not stepping up for modest pastoring positions, or building their own church, while he clearly wouldn't take the responsibility, may seem ironic. But, to him, I'm sure it isn't.

He has settled on a title for himself, an official role in this world. He has appointed himself a Traveling Evangelist With a Burden for America (by which he means the US).

That way, he gets all the things he wants (restless moving around, being thanked and praised, being housed and fed for free without wearing out his welcome, gifts, only needing a few messages, hit-and-run guiltmongering and fellowshipping, and, most of all, being the Godly Man who has the Correct Message) with none of the work of being a pastor, including the work of compromise and getting along with others over the long run.

He offers to help you build your church by having his minions set up his tent, weather permitting, and holding a revival. Gary thinks he can rant and scream and hiss your church into existence, dontcha know? He will also put energy into going up to strangers and giving them the Word. That's all Gary plans to contribute, and he seems to think it's very valuable.

Gossip and schisms and scandals will never affect his livelihood - he can insult, take sides, claim he isn't throwing stones and will fellowship with everyone (unless their doctrine is wrong), then sail away.

Disagreement, science, logic and truth are no problem - Gary can just walk away from anything he doesn't want to hear.

He doesn't want to go anywhere that involves flying, or weather that is too hot or too cold - he makes that clear.

I assume he doesn't want to go to what his orange hero called shithole countries, or spend too much time with non-white people (though, of course, he'd never say that on Facebook).

I suspect, from some of his past behavior, that he wouldn't want to have to help (possibly even to look at) physically disabled people, or do much talking with anyone who thinks or communicates differently from the neurotypical. Pastors might need to hear the person who fixates on something give their testimony or tell the same stories again and again, and welcome them with love every time. Pastors need to visit in hospitals, and see death - Gary just wants to rant about gore and death, not see it.

Pastors have to love children, and help and guide them. I'm sure Gary doesn't want to do that, and I don't want him to, either!

Being a pastor in a place where people have the same problems week after week is no fun for Gary. Actually serving on committees, working with deacons to allot the money for repairs and equipment, to have to do the math, work with contractors, pay bills - what a bore!

Dropping in to give an old-time hellfire sermon, insult anyone who doesn't adore him, bask in the admiration of those who do, and hitting the road again - that's his niche, and I believe he thinks he has earned it somehow.

He thinks he paid his dues in the nitty-gritty world of church planting and assistant pastoring - he keeps telling us how he did. Now he is senior, emeritus, and he has a right to shame the young men who won't sacrifice so he has more places to visit and drop his turds of words.

He is The Angel of Rant, who deigns to drop in and sprinkle his wisdom on the lucky few, then fly away in his magical Ford.

Why can't these young 'uns appreciate that?

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12

50 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Now he is senior, emeritus, and he has a right to shame the young men who won't sacrifice so he has more places to visit and drop his turds of words.

He's what, 48? Give me a break here Gary, you're basically middle management! Emeritus is at least another 20-30 years away, should he live that long.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, thoughtful said:

There were those that fault for your right to vote, so you'd better vote straight Republican!

Hide contents

image.png.e5fb84ba6320dd8d778c97b74242079e.png

Rodney could be a rich source of cross stitch projects:

Hide contents

image.png.d1363b3e1aa32d1c7d62a12a94d840ce.png

Reveal hidden contents

Umm, NY starting early voting this year.  Just sayin’.

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, thoughtful said:

This guy is a lot like Bro Gary. He thinks he's writing in English, but there are words missing.

image.png.3205829e0d55f25969d78caf7d11076b.png

OMG! Worlds collide! Todd Black is local to me. We went to the same high school, though I think he's younger than me, and my elderly aunt is friends with him. (Thank goodness she's not friends with Gary or Becky!)
Some of my former friends from my Free Will Baptist days go to his church, but some left when he became pastor there. It used to be Westgate Free Will Baptist, and Kevin Smith was pastor, but there was some sort of scandal & he either quit or was fired. Todd Black became pastor and changed the name. 
I can't stand the guy.

Edited by FeministShrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

He's what, 48? Give me a break here Gary, you're basically middle management! Emeritus is at least another 20-30 years away, should he live that long.

Really. But, of course, that is in the real world of hard working people, not in Garyworld.

He was 25 when he was saved on July 11, 1999. He may be mentally giving himself some sort of credit for having been involved in church life before that. After, he says he learned and served under others, and "worked a job," until he went on the road in 2012.

In Gary's mind, I figure whatever he did (I can't really imagine Gary learning or serving much) for those 13 years, if not more, was enough, and now he gets to "help" by doing whatever TF he wants to do.

And he can articulately, calmly, and eruditely tell us what is wrong with movies, TV, and sports.

I kid, I kid:

Spoiler

image.png.7e6320706fc21418911420057d4a8622.png

image.png.f378dbc43fb997f09a190f0ec97eed8d.png

Ooooh, Bryant - them's fightin' words!

Also:

Spoiler

image.png.35e8e37470636d04b9898731c49601bd.png

Hey Gary - is that the portrait with the eyes that you thought followed you around the room?

Spoiler

image.png.94824adf24a974313f62c48ce247d2ec.png

• Haha 5
  • Thank You 6

I hope Jesus has mercy on us too. Preferably by having Biden win in a landslide and then carefully aiming that asteroid heading our way if the current occupant of the White House puts up a fuss. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

Gary posted something non-offensive!

He's still going on about his weight loss, with the fervor of the newly-converted. And perhaps, if I heard him say all of this in person, it would be tinged with the anger and self-righteousness his voice usually conveys. But it seems pretty positive (y'know, for Gary):

image.png.c71f3debfd3fec5d1c381262c87d206c.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

Somebody said they have been watching Gary's Facebook live, so Gary knows he is making a difference.

Hey, Gary, I watch your Facebook live, and not only do I not see Jesus through you, I wonder if you know anything at all about Jesus - when he was alive, that is.

image.png.e4ff4ceff40d1771511f340c59b88f2d.png

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

• samurai_sarah locked this topic