GreyhoundFan

Virus as of 9/11:

image.thumb.png.41ea1ff98caa63060476fe8540edb5b6.png

Vaccine level first dose:

image.thumb.png.c2023fcc00b874d4be4abb0836de0836.png

There isn't a big mystery here.  

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, clueliss said:

Shocking no one, Governor Parsons here in Missouri is rejecting Biden’s federal mandate.  

who is going to tell him (and that dolt AG Schmidt) that the business/corporate world takes OSHA very seriously?

And his idiot neighbor to the north #CovidKim took to the social medias to whine about that and how unprecedented it all is. All while the fuckoptomus wiped his ass with the Constitution and she said fucking nothing. 

• Upvote 4

Excerpt of column by Danny Westneat, Seattle Times, under spoiler.  Idaho, one of the least vaccinated states, is going to “crisis standard of care,” where patients are treated based on their ability to survive.  Some people, of course, are perplexed that the willfully unvaccinated are factored into who gets care, and many are suffering as their critical surgeries are postponed due to overflowing hospital beds.  A doctor commented that of the Covid patients taking up beds, all are unvaccinated.  

Spoiler

This past week the 200-bed hospital in Coeur d’Alene had 218 patients — so many it was treating patients in hallways and running out of oxygen to help them breathe, The Associated Press reported.

“What about the people who need emergency care but, because of the exploding COVID crisis here, can’t get it?” asked the Coeur d’Alene Press. “Do we just let them die?”

The answer to that is: “Yes.” Letting them die is actually the plan. The GOP governor of Idaho said it was “an unprecedented and unwanted point in the history of our state.”But he made no moves to try anything else, such as requiring vaccinations for anyone (he earlier had banned the governmental use of “vaccine passports” in the state). It’s a red state, and so for the most part they’re letting the virus rip and run.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 3

“Do I or don't I?” Some Texas hospitals grapple with new mandatory vaccine rule

Hundreds of hospitals across Texas on Friday were grappling with how to respond to an announcement from President Joe Biden earlier this week that they would be required to make vaccines mandatory for their employees — even as Texas Gov. Greg Abbott vows to fight the new rule.

While some, like Texas Children’s Hospital and Houston Methodist, had already announced such policies, the state’s roughly 120 public hospitals have so far been banned from enacting mandates under an executive order by Abbott — and find themselves in a far more complicated position.

“I’ve got President Biden telling me he’s going to mandate it, but I have Gov. Abbott who says I cannot mandate it,” said Adam Willman, chief executive officer of Goodall Witcher Healthcare public hospital in Clifton, outside of Waco. “Do I or don’t I? So I’m just kind of waiting for the dust to settle from yesterday to really sit down with my administrative team and see where we go from here.”

On Thursday, as deaths from the highly contagious COVID-19 delta variant climbed nationwide and new cases continued to put pressure on hospital intensive care units and emergency rooms, Biden announced that all businesses, public and private, with more than 100 employees will be required to mandate vaccinations for their employees.

At the same time, the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said that in October, a new rule would require any hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers and similar facilities — regardless of the number of employees — to require employee vaccinations as a condition of participating in Medicare and Medicaid.

“There is no question that staff, across any health care setting, who remain unvaccinated pose both direct and indirect threats to patient safety and population health,” Xavier Becerra, secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement. “Ensuring safety and access to all patients, regardless of their entry point into the health care system, is essential.”

The news came down as the health care facilities continue to struggle with lower-than-desired vaccination rates among hospital workers, staffing shortages due to burnout, and an overwhelming number of COVID-19 patients as a result of the most recent surge fueled by the more contagious delta variant.

Many of the state’s larger private and faith-based hospitals have already begun mandating the vaccine for their employees.

In April, Houston Methodist hospital system was among the first in the nation to implement the policy and drew national attention when 150 employees who refused to comply either quit or resigned.

Since then, more large hospital systems have followed suit.

Texas Health Resources announced its mandatory policy in July, effective Friday.

In Wichita Falls on Wednesday, United Regional Health Care System announced a mandatory vaccination policy for its employees starting on Nov. 1.

“This was a very difficult decision,” Phyllis Cowling, president and CEO of the hospital, told the Wichita Falls Times Record News. “I recognize the political and cultural climate of our community, and I realize that feelings run strong on both sides of the vaccine divide.”

Administrators of rural hospitals, about two-thirds of which are public and therefore have not been allowed to enact mandates, have expressed mixed reactions to the announcement, said John Henderson, executive director of the Texas Organization for Rural and Community Hospitals.

Those facilities tend to be located in more conservative areas where vaccination rates are low.

Some administrators worried that the mandate would cause more staff to retire if they didn’t want to get the shot and were already considering leaving due to burnout. Others were glad to have some political and legal cover to enact a policy they said they wished they could have done sooner, Henderson said.

“I won’t say it’s been universally applauded or condemned [among the rural hospitals]. Initially it was, ‘We’re conservative, independent rural Texans that generally don't like to be told what to do,’ ” Henderson said. “This morning I started getting more positive reaction … Most private hospitals in Texas were already requiring it of their staff. You don't want a different standard of public vs. private, and when everybody is in it together and has to jump together, it helps with the nurse staffing musical chairs that we were in some ways expecting.”

The Texas Hospital Association, which represents the state’s nearly 650 hospitals — about 20% of which are public — said it is still reviewing Biden’s announcement and what impact it will have.

“We are definitely all for sending the message that people should get vaccinated, and we support the efforts that increase the number of vaccinated Texans,” said spokesperson Carrie Williams. “We are taking a close look at this and all its impacts going forward.”

Trump supporters here are either saying that Abbott will win in a fight with the federal government or just expect our hospitals to not cooperate. Trying to explain that our hospitals have to go along with the mandate because of the Medicare/Medicaid issue is pointless because FreedomGranny777 posted a video showing that Biden has been dead since 1982 and gluing aspirin to your butt cures Covid. :blink:

• Thank You 7

Some good news today here in Iowa.  A Federal judge has blocked the state from enforcing the mask mandate ban law.

The ruling by Judge Robert Pratt in the federal court for the Southern District of Iowa said that the law likely conflicts with the Americans with Disabilities Act, because “it excludes disabled children from participating in and denies them the benefits of public schools’ programs, services, and activities to which they are entitled.” Pratt said that disabled students face a “very real threat to their lives” if they were to attend schools with no mask mandates, which prevents them from having a similar educational experience as their peers.

Pratt said that the public interest in enforcing provisions of the federal ADA law overrode the state’s interest in enforcing the mask mandate ban.

“The Court recognizes issuing a [temporary restraining order] is an extreme remedy, however, if the drastic increase in the number of pediatric COVID-19 cases since the start of the school year in Iowa is any indication of what is to come, such an extreme remedy is necessary to ensure that the children involved in this case are not irreparably harmed,” Pratt wrote, in the ruling.

A state judge denied a request to block the law in a separate lawsuit last week, saying there was no evidence that any school board would immediately impose a mask mandate if the law wasn’t in effect.

Of course CovidKim is whining about how the judge blocked the law and how it takes away parental choice.  Same old liquid manure as before. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Update from my extra-super-duper pro-life state:

Since the people in charge here are idiots, I'm halfway expecting an executive order from Abbot assigning us all to a militia so that we can shoot the virus into submission. :doh:

Spoiler

Looney Tunes Animation GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

A Florida school district decided to tighten up who it would accept medical forms from 

A school district in Sarasota County, Florida, has tightened its mask policy after a chiropractor signed hundreds of medical exemption forms that allowed students to opt out of wearing masks in schools, officials said.

The Sarasota County School Board had voted in August to implement a 90-day mandatory mask policy for students, employees, visitors and vendors, with exceptions for medical reasons or if wearing a face mask would not be consistent with a student's Individualized Education Plan.

Then on September 1, the district updated its policy to only accept medical exemption forms from licensed medical doctors, osteopathic physicians or advanced registered nurse practitioners, Superintendent Brennan Asplen said in a letter to families and employees.

The decision was due in part to a chiropractor who signed hundreds of medical forms exempting students from the mask mandate, a district official told CNN. Chiropractors are not medical doctors.

He had signed about 650 exemption forms for students.  He was going on about how he performed a through examination on them.  Uh-huh.  I'd like to know where he found all that time to do that.

• Upvote 8

Signatures from chiropractors should not be accepted on medical exemptions from mask wearing unless they can explain how it is related to the musculo-skeletal condition they are treating. And frankly I would love to read the explanations.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

Well, in Missouri, AG Schmidt (is it wrong of me to now see that as asshole general?) is looking at adding districts to his lawsuit against the Columbia MO school district mask mandate. 

• WTF 2

34 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Well, in Missouri, AG Schmidt (is it wrong of me to now see that as asshole general?) is looking at adding districts to his lawsuit against the Columbia MO school district mask mandate. 

If it is, we're in the same boat as I think of Ken Paxton here in Texas that way.

• Thank You 2

Covid-19 rates are up in my blue state (US). The majority of people are vaccinated.  The minority of unvaccinated currently make up 72% of the cases. 

People who willfully ignore science drive me nuts.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

Covid-19 rates are up in my blue state (US). The majority of people are vaccinated.  The minority of unvaccinated currently make up 72% of the cases. 

People who willfully ignore science drive me nuts.

Too bad the unvaccinated don't make up 100% of the cases.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Idaho appoints anti-vaxxer doctor to regional health board

Well that will help the already low vaccination rates.

Quote from article:

"Dr. Ryan Cole has referred to Covid-19 vaccines as “needle rape” and the “clot shot,” he has promoted unproven remedies like the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin and he has falsely claimed there’s statistically no efficacy in masks, On Wednesday, Cole reportedly said the "intrusion" of politics into physician-patient relationships "must end." Interfering with that relationship "may actually constitute crimes against humanity," he claimed."

Also quote:

"Cole is a doctor who specializes in dermatopathology, a field involving skin diseases — not respiratory conditions like Covid-19."

His appointment came the same day that crisis measures were activated in Idaho's healthcare system.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Becky said:

Vaccines are up to the person. There's nothing special about them compared to any other preventive measure."

The article didn’t mention what other preventive measures he advocates.  Probably nothing other than treatments the governor holds stock in.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

On 9/21/2021 at 7:02 PM, Ozlsn said:

After the protests the last three days in Melbourne this thread is great. They are on a melting iceberg. 

The door is open if you change your mind.

The last one - it depends who is doing the protesting.  Last year they were very quick to blame the protesters in the aftermath of the George Floyd death even though it was agent provocateurs who got that all going.  Many of those same people had nothing to say when their own fellow Branch Trumpvidians got violent in January.

• Upvote 1

A judge denied AG Schmidt's injunction to halt the Columbia public schools.mask mandate immediately here in Missouri (reminder, he was expanding this to include.more.districts.

Also, multiple families have signed on via the ACLU because of medical issues and child's age mean they need protection given by the mask mandate.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Under the mandate, all employees of San Antonio Independent School District were supposed to get vaccinated against the virus by Friday — directly challenging Gov. Greg Abbott’s ban on COVID-19 vaccine mandates. Then-Superintendent Pedro Martinez enacted the rule in August, drawing lawsuits from Attorney General Ken Paxton.

Supreme Court justices sided with Abbott and Paxton to temporarily block the district from enforcing the mandate while the legal battle over the ban continues, but didn’t determine whether the governor’s ban or the district’s mandate are legal.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Florida strips schools of federal aid for mask mandates

The Florida Department of Education (DOE) this week withheld hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal funding from two school districts because of their masking policies, defying warnings from the Biden administration.

Alachua County officials in a statement said the state stripped more than $160,000 this week as punishment for the school district requiring masks. 

That figure equals the monthly salary of five school board members, as well as the entire amount of the federal grant meant to compensate school districts that have their money withheld by the state.

Separately, Broward County said the state withheld more than $450,000, which the county said encompasses the monthly school board salary as well as the full amount of federal grant funding. 

Since August, the county said Florida has withheld nearly $530,000 in funding

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 5

21 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I loathe Ken Paxton.

Ah, the Venn diagram that's actually a perfect circle of someone protesting government/businesses getting involved in someone's health decisions while advocating for government/businesses eliminating access to abortion and choosing their own birth control...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2