IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 6: Dr. MyPillow and Demon Sperm

GreyhoundFan

That orange fuck was the worst possible person to be President when the pandemic struck. 

A former Republican operative who now leads one of the nation's most powerful business groups is praising President Joe Biden's efforts to defeat the coronavirus pandemic.

"It is fantastic to have a partner in the White House," Jay Timmons, president and CEO of the National Association of Manufacturers, told CNN Business. "We felt like we were fighting this fight, frankly, all alone for the last year."

NAM, which represents more than 130,000 manufacturers, announced Friday it is planning to partner with the Biden administration to help fight the pandemic.

Timmons, who said his father died from Covid, criticized the Trump administration's track record on the health crisis.

• Upvote 9

The Accidental Governor (yes, I know the idiot was re-elected - but when crap like this happens, I default back to my original name for him) has had to scramble due to wasted vaccine issues at rural clinics (meanwhile KC and STL are screaming for more) - I heard late last week that one location requested something like 69 doses - and received 2000.  Ozark County received enough to vaccinate the entire county. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

Because - Texas

Abbott's just trying to win back the so-called pro-lifers so they'll vote for him when he's ready to run for president.

Texas numbers are climbing again and there‘s still like 200 Covid deaths a day plus all the major new virus variants were found in Houston. But sure reopen everything without restrictions, the virus will thank you ??‍♀️ 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I would not put a child in public school here in Iowa.  The state has no real interest in keeping them safe.

The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners is seeking to strip Des Moines Public Schools Superintendent Thomas Ahart of his administrator license, saying it found probable cause that Ahart failed to submit or implement a lawful plan to return students to the classroom for the 2020-21 school year, television station WOI reported Wednesday. The license is a state requirement to hold the position of schools superintendent in Iowa.

At the time of Ahart’s decision, Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds required schools to provide at least 50 percent of teaching in classrooms and allowed districts to seek temporary reprieves to teach online only when virus activity rose to especially high levels. In January, Reynolds signed into law requirements that schools offer a full-time, in-person learning option, despite an outcry from teachers, school nurses and other education professionals who said pushing children back into classrooms during the coronavirus pandemic wasn’t safe.

The examiners board, which is appointed by the governor, has given Ahart the choice to surrender his license or agree to accept a lesser sanction. The board cites complaints received Sept. 30 and Oct. 21 that Des Moines schools had not returned to in-person teaching.

Des Moines School Board Chairwoman Dwana Bradley and Vice Chairman Rob Barron defended Ahart in a written statement Wednesday, saying his decisions on remote learning were made at the direction of the school board. They also pushed back against the Board of Education Examiners’ findings, saying Des Moines schools have been in compliance with in-person learning requirements and are making up instructional time from the beginning of the year.
“Trying to save the lives of Iowans, during a period unlike anything any one of us has ever experienced, should not be met with an attack on Dr. Ahart’s career,” the statement said. “This complaint does nothing to benefit the children of our school district and move us past the pandemic.”

• Upvote 3

Meanwhile in Iowa

During a weekly webinar Friday, multiple county officials shared their frustration with the Iowa Department of Public Health at being given little-to-no warning about the changes announced on Thursday, which open up vaccine eligibility to people 64 and younger with a medical condition that the CDC identified as possibly causing severe illness from COVID-19.

An email KCRG-TV9′s i9 Investigative Unit received shows the Iowa Department of Public Health only alerted county health departments it was expanding eligibility criteria for COVID-19 vaccinations 8-minutes before the announcement was made.

During the webinar, the state health department said it expects the recently announced change will add about 1 million people who are eligible to receive a vaccine. The department will not issue prioritization to people with certain illnesses, though individual counties may do so. The state also plans to rely on people attesting to their medical condition or smoking history truthfully. It will also vaccinate this new group while simultaneously vaccinating the tiers set up in January.

The department said it made the decision after nearly 12 counties said it had completed vaccinating their population of people 65 years and older.

State can't seem to do anything right.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Governor Parsons announced this afternoon that the state will move to phase 2 on March 29 and Phase 3 April 9 (mind you - the largest group so far (1B Tier 3) started March 15. 

This was said:

The PLAN was to do rural first?!?!?!  WHAT THE HELL? 

• Upvote 2

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

Gov. Ducey R-AZ has decided that the "pandemic is effectively over" in AZ and has lifted all restrictions. 

Gov. Ducey relaxes COVID-19 guidelines in Arizona; bars can open, cities cannot require masks | Coronavirus in Arizona | azfamily.com

ETA: And we are now vaccinating anyone over the age of 16.

Edited by Chickenbutt
More info
  • WTF 6

California is going to allow people 50 and over to get the vaccine starting April 1st, and all adults 16 and over starting April 15th.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Gov. Ducey R-AZ has decided that the "pandemic is effectively over" in AZ and has lifted all restrictions. 

Gov. Ducey relaxes COVID-19 guidelines in Arizona; bars can open, cities cannot require masks | Coronavirus in Arizona | azfamily.com

ETA: And we are now vaccinating anyone over the age of 16.

So, how long till the Arizona variant pops up...

• I Agree 3

Numbers are increasing here in Michigan. I think indoor dining opened up too soon. I also wonder about high school winter sports. They are going to start requiring regular testing for athletes. At least spring sports is not as risky.

Many of my students will be traveling over spring break to hot spots. I am so tired of a group of stubborn idiots messing up things for the rest of us.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, clueliss said:

The Accidental Governor (yes, I know the idiot was re-elected - but when crap like this happens, I default back to my original name for him) has had to scramble due to wasted vaccine issues at rural clinics (meanwhile KC and STL are screaming for more) - I heard late last week that one location requested something like 69 doses - and received 2000.  Ozark County received enough to vaccinate the entire county. 

Meanwhile Delaware County in Iowa advised people to look outside the county for appointments because they can’t get enough shots. They are getting just 200 doses next week. Hell of a job CovidKim. 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Some good news from the EU

Americans who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 will be able to visit the European Union this summer, Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said in an interview with The New York Times on Sunday.

"The Americans, as far as I can see, use European Medicines Agency-approved vaccines," von der Leyen said, according to the Times report. "This will enable free movement and the travel to the European Union."

Von der Leyen did not offer a timeline on when exactly tourist travel might open up or details on how it would occur, according to the report.

The European Union halted all non-essential travel to the bloc more than a year ago in an attempt to limit the spread of coronavirus.

• Upvote 4

I just read on CNN that the governor of Tennessee is lifting all COVID restrictions since the vaccine means there is no further health emergency in his state.  Party on!  Meanwhile, other authorities are pointing out that less than 25% of Tennesseans are vaccinated, so...

:doh:

• Eyeroll 5
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I just read on CNN that the governor of Tennessee is lifting all COVID restrictions since the vaccine means there is no further health emergency in his state.  Party on!  Meanwhile, other authorities are pointing out that less than 25% of Tennesseans are vaccinated, so...

:doh:

So I wasn't planning to visit Tennessee and now I'm really not planning to visit Tennessee - even fully vaxxed.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Florida has not only lifted all restrictions, but has also banned COVID measures from being required/enforced - even in private enterprises!

I do not understand how they can try to spin that it's freedom when banning private offerings of fully vaccinated group events/travel/flights/cruises etc. denies people the ability to choose to look out for their own safety.  

Banning the ability of a private enterprise to have a vaccination requirement is just as anti-freedom as the government mandating that everyone who attends an event do comply.  To me, it's roughly the equivalent of banning non-smoking establishments in the name of people's "right to smoke".  It's the same kind of health impact and doesn't require nearly the exposure of 2nd hand smoke to do damage.

To me, it should be the private enterprise's choice to decide what kind of health risks they are willing to take.  If an airline chooses to offer fully vaccinated flights - I'm on board!  But if the ability to offer me that service is banned - I can't travel.   Why can't their be room for each business to make their own choice on this?

• Upvote 9

CovidKim sent a letter to Drake University whining about the capacity limits Drake is considering imposing at the Iowa High School Track and Field event.  Drake responded to CovidKim with a directive to get fucked.

Drake University Athletic Director Brian Hardin is thanking Governor Reynolds for her interest in the attendance policy at this year’s State Track Meet at Drake Stadium. But he doesn’t appear to be swayed by her arguments.

Governor Reynolds, in a letter on Tuesday, asked Drake University’s Athletic Director to reconsider limits on attendance for this year’s state track meet at Drake Stadium. The Governor writes that she has heard capacity could be limited to 33% for the event later this month. Her arguments against that figure include a contradictory comparison to the Kentucky Derby.

On Wednesday afternoon Hardin responded with a letter to the Governor, thanking her for writing but not mentioning any change of plans. Hardin points out the irony of Governor Reynolds’ letter offering the Kentucky Derby as an event whose policies could be replicated. The Kentucky Derby actually had an attendance of below 31% and state health officials are concerned the fans who were in attendance may have caused a superspreader event.

If I was an AD at a private institution and I received a letter like the one CovidKim sent, my response would have been a lot less cordial than what she was probably used to.  I would have said the F word.  A fucking lot too.

• Upvote 5

The GQP is whining about the worker shortage 

As the U.S. economy bounces back from the COVID-induced downturn, some employers say they’re having a hard time finding workers. GOP lawmakers like Rep. David Rouzer (N.C.) blame the safety net.

“This is what happens when you extend unemployment benefits too long and add a $1400 stimulus payment,” Rouzer said on Twitter last week, posting a photo from a Hardee’s that said it was closed for lack of staff. “Right when employers need workers to fully open back up, few can be found.”

William Spriggs isn’t buying that. The chief economist at the AFL-CIO labor federation, Spriggs said it is “self-evident” that millions of people are trying to find work. Just because an employer hasn’t found them yet ― at the wages the employer is willing to pay ― doesn’t mean the workers aren’t out there.

Spriggs said the normal hiring networks that employers rely on were blown up by the pandemic. Some employers who received forgivable government loans were able to keep their workers on the payroll, but many firms simply let them go during lockdown. A year later many of those workers have taken other jobs, moved on or even died.

Of course it’s a lot easier for the GQP to complain than actually do something to address the problem. 

• WTF 3
  • Thank You 3

13 hours ago, 47of74 said:

CovidKim sent a letter to Drake University whining about the capacity limits Drake is considering imposing at the Iowa High School Track and Field event.  Drake responded to CovidKim with a directive to get fucked.

If I was an AD at a private institution and I received a letter like the one CovidKim sent, my response would have been a lot less cordial than what she was probably used to.  I would have said the F word.  A fucking lot too.

Brian Hardin worked in the athletic department at my university while I was a student; I didn't know him personally but everyone I know seemed to like him. I imagine the public response was much more polite than the internal conversation. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, 47of74 said:

So proud of my alma-mater here.  I think it's noteworthy that it's the same capacity as Drake Relays - which is considered one of the top track and field events in the U.S. (an international level event - including Olympic calliber athletes).  Seems reasonable that the limit in attendance on the High school level championship is the same as the flagship track meet held just a few days before . . 

• Upvote 1

Fuck Trump and all his appointees. 

A top Trump appointee repeatedly urged top health officials to adopt a "herd immunity" approach to Covid-19 and allow millions of Americans to be infected by the virus, according to internal emails obtained by a House watchdog and shared with POLITICO.

“There is no other way, we need to establish herd, and it only comes about allowing the non-high risk groups expose themselves to the virus. PERIOD," then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote on July 4 to his boss, Health and Human Services assistant secretary for public affairs Michael Caputo, and six other senior officials.

"Infants, kids, teens, young people, young adults, middle aged with no conditions etc. have zero to little risk….so we use them to develop herd…we want them infected…" Alexander added.

"[I]t may be that it will be best if we open up and flood the zone and let the kids and young folk get infected" in order to get "natural immunity…natural exposure," Alexander wrote on July 24 to Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn, Caputo and eight other senior officials. Caputo subsequently asked Alexander to research the idea, according to emails obtained by the House Oversight Committee's select subcommittee on coronavirus.

• WTF 6

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

"Infants, kids, teens, young people, young adults, middle aged with no conditions etc. have zero to little risk….so we use them to develop herd…we want them infected…"

And now the most frequently hospitalized are the 21-49 year olds, I think.  I wonder if there is such a thing as long-term natural immunity to Covid, what with the variants circulating.  There is still so much to learn about the virus.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5