IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

On 8/17/2020 at 4:11 AM, lilith said:

Yep, the Maxwells don’t do politics, it’s far too worldly for them.

As I recall, they were all in for Ted Cruz in 2016, until he fell behind the other contenders. I think they even actively campaigned for him, but I'm too lazy to dig into their blog to see if Sarah chronicled it.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Liz is Becky’s clone. 

Who do you predict she will marry? Joe Xiques? A Bowers boy? A Duggar boy?

B5658352-33D5-4A3A-AA70-186702A0AE4F.jpeg

Interesting, I’ve actually always thought that she looks a lot like her dad. I think Chelsy, Mitchell, Carson, Denver, and Taylor look like Becky and Allison, Joshua, Liz, Hudson and Rebecca look like Marlin. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Interesting, I’ve actually always thought that she looks a lot like her dad. I think Chelsy, Mitchell, Carson, Denver, and Taylor look like Becky and Allison, Joshua, Liz, Hudson and Rebecca look like Marlin. 

Here is a picture from Becky’s wedding day. Although it’s blurry, she looks so much like Liz.

C4DB4C7B-49AC-44B6-AEBB-57DC11885E03.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Isn't Liz sixteen? She's too young to get married. 

As for the choices, the Bontragers seem smart enough to marry their daughters off to guys with better financial prospects. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Isn't Liz sixteen? She's too young to get married. 

As for the choices, the Bontragers seem smart enough to marry their daughters off to guys with better financial prospects. 

Lol, so is Justin Duggar. But he’s still planning his marriage to Claire. 

I don’t think Liz should get married young, but I think she will be much younger than her sisters when she gets married. I will be shocked if she’s 23 and still completely single. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lol, so is Justin Duggar. But he’s still planning his marriage to Claire. 

I don’t think Liz should get married young, but I think she will be much younger than her sisters when she gets married. I will be shocked if she’s 23 and still completely single. 

I guess Justin was courting at 16, but he is currently 17 soon to be 18. 

As for being 23 and single, I agree it's not likely, but you never what the Lord has in store for someone. Or as other people say time will tell. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I guess Justin was courting at 16, but he is currently 17 soon to be 18. 

As for being 23 and single, I agree it's not likely, but you never what the Lord has in store for someone. Or as other people say time will tell. 

Liz will be 17 in December. I think that the marriage floodgates have opened in the Bontrager family and they will now know how to navigate how to set up a marriage for their third daughter. 

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Liz will be 17 in December. I think that the marriage floodgates have opened in the Bontrager family and they will now know how to navigate how to set up a marriage for their third daughter. 

Hopefully she'll be 18 before she gets married. 

I still think that the Bontragers like more prosperous sons-in-law. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Hopefully she'll be 18 before she gets married. 

I still think that the Bontragers like more prosperous sons-in-law. 

I think she will be. Thankfully most fundies on FJ wait until they are legal adults to marry. But some start “getting to know” their future spouses before they turn 18.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

At least Justin Duggar will be 18 before he gets married, as he'll be 18 in November. Only the courtship was announced this month, so when he does get engaged, it probably won't be announced until closer to his 18th birthday. I also think Liz will be 18 when she gets married since even if she gets engaged at 17, the wedding probably won't happen until she's legally an adult. It seems that even fundie parents don't typically give their consent for an underage wedding.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Here is a picture from Becky’s wedding day. Although it’s blurry, she looks so much like Liz.

C4DB4C7B-49AC-44B6-AEBB-57DC11885E03.jpeg

I would love to know more about the Bontrager's conversion from being Mennonites to fundie-baptists. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

48 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I would love to know more about the Bontrager's conversion from being Mennonites to fundie-baptists. 

Wonder if it's an ego thing. Don't Mennonites prize humility? I'm sure Marlon was yearning to break free of that.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

don’t think Liz should get married young, but I think she will be much younger than her sisters when she gets married. I will be shocked if she’s 23 and still completely single. 

I agree. Chelsy and Allison married "late" but it wasn't intentional. Bons sure want their children to marry the youngest the better. In addition, there are no little siblings to care for and the parents are young, so no need to keep a daughter at home as a maid.

For some reason, I see Liz happier and more relaxed than her older sisters. I hope she finds a fun-loving, fundie-lite young man, so she can enjoy her late teens before being a mom.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I think that it must be easier to be a younger sibling in a fundie family because you don’t have to act in loco parentis all the time. You have more freedom to be a child. In addition you probably have more exposure to in laws who may come from slightly different, more free environments and can expose you to the idea that your family’s way of living isn’t the only way, and you will be able to have some sort of choices when you are older. 

• Upvote 10

12 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I think that it must be easier to be a younger sibling in a fundie family because you don’t have to act in loco parentis all the time. You have more freedom to be a child. In addition you probably have more exposure to in laws who may come from slightly different, more free environments and can expose you to the idea that your family’s way of living isn’t the only way, and you will be able to have some sort of choices when you are older. 

It’s probably much easier in some ways, but harder in others. I doubt Liz gets much attention. She’s probably one of the forgotten ones. The youngest children get more attention and don’t have to raise their siblings. Examples: Josie Duggar, Jeb and Jud Bates. Those kids are probably the luckiest ones.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s probably much easier in some ways, but harder in others. I doubt Liz gets much attention. She’s probably one of the forgotten ones. The youngest children get more attention and don’t have to raise their siblings. Examples: Josie Duggar, Jeb and Jud Bates. Those kids are probably the luckiest ones.

I agree with you 85%, except for one big thing - as the youngest you are infantilized as you represent the end of your mother's breeding season of life. Josie Duggar and Janessa Rodrigues in particular. Both children may of have health problems, but have been seriously infantilized and may have difficult showing signs of independence and growing up due to what that means for their mother. Still the luckiest children, but I know we all agree that being a child of fundie parents would just suck. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, neurogirl said:

I agree with you 85%, except for one big thing - as the youngest you are infantilized as you represent the end of your mother's breeding season of life. Josie Duggar and Janessa Rodrigues in particular. Both children may of have health problems, but have been seriously infantilized and may have difficult showing signs of independence and growing up due to what that means for their mother. Still the luckiest children, but I know we all agree that being a child of fundie parents would just suck. 

It's interesting that this doesn't seem to have happened to Charissa Wissmann at all. If anything she's considered more like one of the middle sisters even though she just turned 14. Does it have something to do with the fact the Wissmanns are always working and need more hands?

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, albireo said:

It's interesting that this doesn't seem to have happened to Charissa Wissmann at all. If anything she's considered more like one of the middle sisters even though she just turned 14. Does it have something to do with the fact the Wissmanns are always working and need more hands?

Charissa has always seemed like she wants to be older. She wants to keep up. She’s also close to 5 years younger than Nate. That’s part of it too. 

ETA: I’m going to expand even further as to why Charissa is so adultified for a youngest of 14. A lot of her older siblings married later than most fundies. Her childhood was a in house filled with adults. There were more adults than kids for a lot of the childhood she can remember. Plus she doesn’t even have any same age nieces and nephews. I think her oldest niece is around 4 years younger than her. Josie Duggar has Kenzie and Jordan is only a year older. So she has some same age playmates. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13

I had no idea that was an extension on Allison’s skirt, but she confirmed it in the comments. It is WILD that her husband exerts that kind of control over her already-modest wardrobe. What a huge disappointment: she’s already having to alter herself to please her husband.

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I had no idea that was an extension on Allison’s skirt, but she confirmed it in the comments. It is WILD that her husband exerts that kind of control over her already-modest wardrobe. What a huge disappointment: she’s already having to alter herself to please her husband.

Where did she confirm this?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Her husband looks so harmless and demure whereas she looks feisty and yet... Apparently not.

And ugh the skirt extenders being used just look so horrible. It would be one thing if they matched, but again: they just look like a wardrobe malfunction where a slip is showing that shouldn't be. I feel like the extender makes the skirt MORE revealing. I feel worse for Allison by the day, a lifetime of waiting only to get a dud.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

All I see her say is that it is a skirt extender.  Did she post she did it for him and remove it?  I would not immediately jump to the assumption that he is forcing that on her personally.  So many modern fundies seem to be wearing what is *in and stylish* and manipulating it to their level of modesty- tight t shirts under strappy dress/top, Skirt extender under short trendy dress... 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, NoseyNellie said:

All I see her say is that it is a skirt extender.  Did she post she did it for him and remove it?  I would not immediately jump to the assumption that he is forcing that on her personally.  So many modern fundies seem to be wearing what is *in and stylish* and manipulating it to their level of modesty- tight t shirts under strappy dress/top, Skirt extender under short trendy dress... 

She’s never worn one before so I think it’s a safe assumption, especially given how the women in his family dress. I give these folks about as much grace with assumptions as they give me.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I don't get it. Just buy a longer dress/skirt. If you see a dress you like and it's too short, then find another one. People do it every single day and despite fundie whining that there are no "modest" dresses, that's bullshit. There are dresses of every shape, size, length, style and more available everywhere. 

I was looking for some very specific things for a dress for a wedding. Even in the time of COVID and dressing rooms not being open, I ordered four dresses online and ended up keeping one. 

Same with the strapless wedding dresses they modify with ugly sleeves/bodices. There are thousands of options out there - you don't need to freaking do that. 

Personally, I think it's intentional on their part. "Look at me and how super modest I am. I am better than you because I'm not a hussie and cover my knees/collarbone/cleavage". 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic