IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

Were the other four Bontrager weddings this hateful?  Chelsy's wedding isn't online and we all know about Marlin's speech regarding Steve's scrotum and I don't have the strength to watch the double wedding and Mitchell's after watching Allison's.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Were the other four Bontrager weddings this hateful?  Chelsy's wedding isn't online and I don't have the strength to watch the double wedding and Mitchell's after watching Allison's.

When the son’s got married, they got to make their own speeches. So that cut into Marlin’s ranting time. Allison and Chelsy are lowly females so they couldn’t rant. At Chelsy’s wedding, marlin talked about Steve’s vasectomy reversal. Chelsy also forgot her vows and ran off with John for a few minutes during the wedding. Then a drone brought the rings to the front of the church. So it was.... interesting.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m also afraid this might be a mismatch. Allison is high energy, talkative, social, friendly, and engaging. Jeremiah seems to be the opposite. I suppose they could make it work if they have lots of other things in common. But if she’s expecting a romantic sort who tells her all his inner most feelings, then she is likely in for a lot of disappointment. 

If this is true, what a horrible life. I know Allison's beliefs are horrid. But I have enough sympathy that that sounds like such a waste of her life. I hope she would be able to leave if it's that lonely and terrible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. She has to breed soldiers and stick it to the liberals after all.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Marlin Bontrager is literally the worst person in the world this week;  if you don’t believe me, read the last thread.

I would tie him with the groom's father (assuming that was the other speaker).

5 hours ago, Howl said:

At least Chelsy + John definitely had/have chemistry. 

And appear to have had a lot more agency over how their own wedding went. Granted I didn't watch this one, but from the comments it felt like a lot of control had been exercised over what they (and by that I mostly mean Allison) could do. 

I never thought I'd say this but I think Nurie Rodrigues had a better wedding, even with her mother's antics and the low budget look. I doubt this was the wedding Allison dreamed of - a groom who looked like he wanted to be there might have been a start.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

And appear to have had a lot more agency over how their own wedding went. Granted I didn't watch this one, but from the comments it felt like a lot of control had been exercised over what they (and by that I mostly mean Allison) could do. 

I never thought I'd say this but I think Nurie Rodrigues had a better wedding, even with her mother's antics and the low budget look. I doubt this was the wedding Allison dreamed of - a groom who looked like he wanted to be there might have been a start.

Jill Rod is a woman so she likely couldn’t rant for 40 minutes about liberals and gay marriage. But I bet she made a long winded speech at the reception. Long speeches aren’t as bad at receptions since there is usually some sort of refreshment and the wedding party isn’t forced to stand through the whole thing. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Allison is high energy, talkative, social, friendly, and engaging. Jeremiah seems to be the opposite

I wonder if Alison chose him specifically because he is the opposite. Fundie women who want some control might be better off to pick a person who will follow. It's easy enough to pretend the man is the boss even if he is following the woman's lead in reality. Just look at Jessa. No question who is the headship in reality vs theory in that marriage.

• Upvote 20

Interesting they’re so into Trump now after the Bontragers campaigned so hard for Cruz. I guess they’re fine with Trump carrying on about how his (third) wife is hotter than Cruz’s? 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I had met my MIL twice before we got married, both trips were for about a week. I hadn’t met my FIL. My husband had met my dad for one weekend when we had been dating for about a month and my grandma once around the same time. He met my Mom for the first time 2 days before we got married. 
It was probably a good things since my FIL might give Marlin a run for his money and while my mom is no longer alive she was difficult to deal with as well.  At least my husband and I were very open and honest about the crazy in our families so it wasn’t a shock. 

I haven’t seen much of the wedding, I had trouble viewing it yesterday. But whole the wedding style was a bit bland I didn’t hate it. I liked Allison’s dress well enough, it was better than Chesly’s IMO, and the bridesmaids dresses were pretty enough. The flowers we gorgeous and it looks like the pictures will be nice. 

What the wedding lacked in style it more than made up with in hate. ??

My husband is from New Zealand so we did not meet until a year AFTER we married. But we made up for it with annual visits nearly every year since!

• Upvote 4

Oh, and the answer to the thread title is, obviously, Elizabeth for the older boys and Rebecca to stand in til Hudson finally finds his long prayed for Little Wife. 

Edited by lilith
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 6

What irks me about the hate speech (beside the actual content) is how inappropriate a place it was for it. A wedding is a joyful occasion and is supposed to be about the bride and groom. Their fathers saw an audience and monopolized it for their own agenda. They took away a once in a lifetime event that was supposed to be about their kids. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

What irks me about the hate speech (beside the actual content) is how inappropriate a place it was for it. A wedding is a joyful occasion and is supposed to be about the bride and groom. Their fathers saw an audience and monopolized it for their own agenda. They took away a once in a lifetime event that was supposed to be about their kids. 

Yes, 100%.

I assume every single person at this wedding likely held the same vile beliefs, but still, this was out of line even for a fundie wedding.  As much as I don't agree with Allison's views on the 'season of singleness' and such, it was her special day.  In a culture that does not allow divorce, this was it.  But actually, it was their fathers' special day to preach via Allison's wedding video link. 

And the only stories the fathers told about the bride and groom were mainly creepy or not about the married couple.  The Groom dragged a Mexican woman into a church, and spanked a child in Sunday school (or something). The Bride doesn't wear shoes and once wrote her father a note praising him.  20+ years of raising their kids and that's all the fathers could come up with. 

• Upvote 25

1 hour ago, MomJeans said:

But actually, it was their fathers' special day to preach via Allison's wedding video link. 

This! They couldn't resist the large audience and turned it into a hate speech fest, with the marriage an afterthought ("just remember to be fruitful, and submit, even if the husband is lacking in love"). Makes me so sad for Allison (not sure what Jeremiah thought of all this, he just kind of seemed paralyzed).

• Upvote 11

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Even though Steve Maxwell gives his reversal speech at each of his kid’s weddings, including John and Chelsy, he is far too middle class respectable and proper to go into hate speech.  The Maxwells probably had a lot to do with Chelsy’s wedding not becoming a Trump rally.  

• Upvote 23

52 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Even though Steve Maxwell gives his reversal speech at each of his kid’s weddings, including John and Chelsy, he is far too middle class respectable and proper to go into hate speech.  The Maxwells probably had a lot to do with Chelsy’s wedding not becoming a Trump rally.  

Yep, the Maxwells don’t do politics, it’s far too worldly for them.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

40 minutes ago, lilith said:

Yep, the Maxwells don’t do politics, it’s far too worldly for them.

They supported Cruz in 2016 and made it obvious on their blog. They posted several times to encourage people to vote for him - I think they even suggested that their readers all email a certain number of people to encourage their friends to support Cruz, too.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I'm not saying Maxwells are better than Bontragers. These are different rooms of Hell. I see Teri and Steve like scared people, isolating their family because fear of the wordly world. But I don't see them as haters. Oh, they judge and feel superior and want to eliminate freedom for others, but I just don't see the hate that Bontragers and their social circle show. Bontragers are like Andersons, I can picture them physically hurting someone (or rejoicing in their "enemies" pain), which make them far dangerous.

People were thrilled when John Maxwell joined the Bons and played sports and had good meals, but their influence can be very bad for him amd for his sons.

• Upvote 13

40 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

They supported Cruz in 2016 and made it obvious on their blog. They posted several times to encourage people to vote for him - I think they even suggested that their readers all email a certain number of people to encourage their friends to support Cruz, too.

Yep, they were bit Cruz supporters. When he was out, they were silent. Because they can't commit publicly to their views. They keep politics away from their little business machine family because politics can affect income. I don't doubt for a second they're full on like the Bontragers. They just don't show it publicly because they won't discuss anything that could affect their image or income. The only "issue" they discuss, ever, is abortion and it's pretty gross how they go about it. No doubt their politics is the same, but it's not good for the good christian image. 

• Upvote 11

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

We havent seen a full video of Nurie's wedding, have we? There may have been just as many speeches, especially with the Rodrigues love of old fashioned tent revivals. 

Can we just agree all fundamentalist weddings are garbage? 

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

We havent seen a full video of Nurie's wedding, have we? There may have been just as many speeches, especially with the Rodrigues love of old fashioned tent revivals. 

Can we just agree all fundamentalist weddings are garbage? 

In case anyone needs a reminder how awful the Bontragers are, never forget their Gaycation appearance with Ellen Page: https://www.out.com/popnography/2015/11/06/get-taste-ellen-pages-travel-show-gaycation-viceland

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

My husband is from New Zealand so we did not meet until a year AFTER we married. But we made up for it with annual visits nearly every year since!

It took me a couple read thru's before I realized you weren't saying your husband was from NZ and that you didn't meet him until a year after you were married lol. 

Edited by AugustPenguin
Grammar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 9

What a weird grey dull wedding.  Very few decorations. Boring teeshirt dress_ is allison the same age as anna dugger_ because if so maybe she looked at the teeshirt dress trend and planned wedding in her head before there were nice modest options? Also very stripey highlights ! 

Flowers beautiful but why no flowers decorations  just two office palms at the alter.

Speeches  awful and joyless as everyones already said.  Forced marriage and sodomy ! 

Also corvid central. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, byzant said:

What a weird grey dull wedding.  Very few decorations. Boring teeshirt dress_ is allison the same age as anna dugger_ because if so maybe she looked at the teeshirt dress trend and planned wedding in her head before there were nice modest options? Also very stripey highlights ! 

Flowers beautiful but why no flowers decorations  just two office palms at the alter.

Speeches  awful and joyless as everyones already said.  Forced marriage and sodomy ! 

Also corvid central. 

I actually kind of liked her dress. A v neck or any neckline at all would have made it much better, but I liked the lace sleeves. 

I like sleeves in general so it was kind of nice to see some that weren't hastily added to a strapless dress to conform to modest standards. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I sincerely hope the best for Allison and Jeremiah. They deserve it, as any young couple do. 

(Speculation now)

I can be very wrong, but everything here looks as an arranged marriage. A horrid family with a desperate single daughter meets a horrid family with a too shy son and voilà! 

Allison is hard working and proud and I'm sure she will do her best to make this marriage to work. But what about him? A marriage needs the effort of both people to work, especially an arranged one. Allison has a lot of potential but at the same time, she's not lucky (her family banned her studies and job and her husband is not the romantic gentleman she was praying for).

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Neither the bride nor the groom looked happy to me. The few smiles looked more like relief at checking off a box on the fundie to-do list than they did like happiness to be marrying each other. I saw no chemistry at all between them. I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

46 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I actually kind of liked her dress. A v neck or any neckline at all would have made it much better, but I liked the lace sleeves. 

I like sleeves in general so it was kind of nice to see some that weren't hastily added to a strapless dress to conform to modest standards. 

True the sleeves with the wee bit of lace  were very pretty. 

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic