IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yes that’s Elijah. He’s friends with almost every single fundie family of the Gothard fundies. He’s definitely friends with the Bateses and wouldn’t be surprised if he took a few classes at Crown.

I see his knees are not sluttish, cause he's not a woman

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

FFS, these people. I agree that, unless one of them is hospitalized, none will get tested and they will just pretend its a cold/flu/seasonal allergies and hose the  afflicted person down with Young Living Thieves Cleaner and Oregano Oil or some such bullshit. 

I have a hard time understanding anyone saying that they don't know anyone who has had COVID. I think it you really start quizzing your cousins, coworkers, neighbors, fellow religious congregants, neighbors--you will find someone who has had it, or tested positive for it. My workplace takes contact tracing very seriously, so news quickly spreads when someone tested positive. Also, I work for Congress, so whenever a Member of Congress announces they have it or have been exposed, I may know people in their office, and I've undergone contact tracing myself.

Just off the top of my head, I have had 3 cousins (in the midwest), 4 coworkers (in DC and Virginia), a friend in Maryland, multiple friends in South Carolina (and their family members), and friends in Sweden and in England that have had it or tested positive. Two had to be hospitalized. I suspect that a couple of my friends who have lost parents or grandparents recently, lost them to COVID, but I don't know for sure

I sincerely do not know anyone who has it - or tested positive. Not a single person. I work from home for the most part so there aren't co-workers to contend with. If we do go to the office we have to complete an acknowledgement that we don't have it (that we know of) and if we know someone who does, we have to stay home. I work for a large international bank - it's taken pretty seriously. 

I'm in pretty regular contact with my siblings & cousins, as they are the largest part of my social group as well as my family. Not one has had it nor been quarantined because of coming in contact with anyone who has it. I am also in contact with a large portion of my family as a whole since my nieces wedding is next weekend and we are regularly talking about safety and distancing and the self quarantining many of us intend to do afterwards. 

It is entirely possible. Does that guarantee no one has or has had it? No, but the fact remains, as far as I know, I don't know a single person who has or has had it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

No-one I know personally has had it either. My father’s friend’s dad did and died from it, but I didn’t know the guy, I just heard about it because I heard it from my dad. 
I don’t know my neighbours, and I don’t have any work colleagues as I’m unemployed. Don’t go to church either.
It could well be the case that some family members could have had it and been asymptomatic, but you only get tested if you have symptoms, so... 

• Upvote 4

On 9/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, Tangy Bee said:

I want to go to the beach SO bad! 

So go to the beach! As long as you don't go somewhere that is super popular during a popular time there is no better place to social distance. We own a second home at a smaller east coast beach and spent most of the summer there. At no time did we ever have to deal with another human within 20 feet of us at the beach - there was more than enough space to space out.  We avoided restaurants and only did take of from them if we had the urge to not eat, and of course wore masks whenever we had errands that needed done. I would suggest looking to rent a condo or home somewhere rather than stay in a hotel, and look for something on a lower level so you don't need to use an elevator. Seriously, though, don't miss out on experiences because of fear. Social distancing can be done at the beach, especially this time of year.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I knew someone who passed away from Covid at the beginning of the pandemic. She did everything right when she was first diagnosed & no one else in her family got.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 13

59 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

So go to the beach! As long as you don't go somewhere that is super popular during a popular time there is no better place to social distance. We own a second home at a smaller east coast beach and spent most of the summer there. At no time did we ever have to deal with another human within 20 feet of us at the beach - there was more than enough space to space out.  We avoided restaurants and only did take of from them if we had the urge to not eat, and of course wore masks whenever we had errands that needed done. I would suggest looking to rent a condo or home somewhere rather than stay in a hotel, and look for something on a lower level so you don't need to use an elevator. Seriously, though, don't miss out on experiences because of fear. Social distancing can be done at the beach, especially this time of year.

I SO wish we lived close so I could beg you to let us rent your house for just 4 days. Right now cost is a big issue plus I hate to leave my mom out. She's on the Covid caution list. So I have to be selective. We did visit Pigeon Forge, TN. Summer is over so hopefully Myrtle Beach crowds are down. That's closer to us. Nags Head is 6hrs a way and I really didn't want to drive that long. I'm actually supposed to be in Brooklyn this week. But we decided not to go.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

It could well be the case that some family members could have had it and been asymptomatic, but you only get tested if you have symptoms, so... 

For all the blood donors out there in the United States if you donate they test your blood for antibodies. Not sure how every blood bank does it, but ours gives you log in info, and after a few days it posts your antibodies results. I know not everyone qualifies or desires to donate, but for those that do it is a free antibody test. A huge thank you to all the donors, as a recipient of many transfusions your donations really do save lives!

I do wonder if Curtis Bower landed in the ICU on a ventilator (considering he has preexisting lung issues) would he or anyone in his circle change their tune? I imagine if Marlin, Becky or one of their kids had a mild case of COVID they would say something to the effect of I don't know what all the fuss is about, it isn't a big deal. After their chicken pox party I hope they wouldn't have a COVID party. 

• Upvote 5

In my friends circle noone had it, but my boyfriend knows three people that were ill.

My brother lives with 6 roomates and has been quarantined multiple times, but never was tested positive. Thank god!

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

We’ve been going to the beach once a month over winter ... and admittedly because of border closures and quarantine laws we haven’t been able to go to our favourite places, but it’s been good anyway. We have put extra measures into place (and let’s face it, we are pretty safe here in Australia so those measures haven’t been too hard to implement), so it has given us a good mental health break to get away from everything and soak up some sunshine. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

My husband is a college professor and one of his students contracted covid over spring break. (not through hedonistic spring break travel; the student was not from the US and went home) Sadly, the student then passed it to his father, who subsequently died. Very sad.

One of my friends from library school has contracted covid and is one of the long haulers who just does not seem to get better. She's had pretty severe symptoms for 2 plus months and has been off of work that whole time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love 7

Statistically, the odds of a Bontrager dying of COVID is really, really low. It basically only kills overweight and obese people. It turns out asthma isn't even a compounding risk factor; just don't be overweight.

• Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 16
  • Confused 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 5

11 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Statistically, the odds of a Bontrager dying of COVID is really, really low. It basically only kills overweight and obese people. It turns out asthma isn't even a compounding risk factor; just don't be overweight.

Then why has it killed so many skinny old people? 

• Upvote 25

10 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

A friend of mine lost somone to COVID and he wasn't overweight. This is bad information. The CDC lists several other  health conditions as risks for COVID.

Pregnancy is considered a risk factor as well. 

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

basically only kills overweight and obese people.

That is not true. Certainly the old and obese or those with concomitant diseases like diabetes or hypertension are at greater risk of severe disease but young people can and do develop severe disease/die. Also: as more young people become infected - the number who have  had a severe disease  will also increase. Some sequelae that have been identified in the young include: a multisystem inflammatory disorder and myocarditis (seen in about 1/3 of young athletes who had covid). Additionally there are a significant number of people of all ages who recovered from covid who have long term (not sure how long term as the data is not in) sequelae.  

Covid is a new disease and it will take time and research to understand it fully but right now the Bontragers are fools for taking it so lightly. Worse than fools really. Just selfish, mean spirited small people. I hope their Qanon conspiracy theories are a comfort if someone they love dies or if Alison's wedding results in people dying (as has happened with a wedding in Maine). 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, I’ve seen articles about people who have so-called “long COVID”. 

Even if I did have COVID but was asymptomatic, or affected very mildly, I could well spread it to others who may not be so lucky... including, of course my own father, who isn’t overweight or obese at all but who has had a transplant and is therefore very clinically vulnerable.
Even so, it’s not 100% guaranteed that those who are particularly vulnerable will die if they get COVID-19, but they may well be left with after-effects, and I just wouldn’t want to risk them getting it in the first place. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

Sorry guys, but I'm not a supporter of the social distancing or mask wearing or any of that foolishness that's been going on. This is nothing but election year political nonsense. Respiratory illness has always been around and it never caused this level of insanity. People can't live like this forever; the economy is tanked, small businesses will never be the same again, children aren't getting the education they deserve. Nobody is going to be able to build any immunity to Covid by using a mask and thinking that Covid will go away is absolutely idiotic. If Biden is voted into office this November you'll be wearing hazmat suits and living in a police state by January.

Three of my four grandparents had tuberculosis at one time or another. My paternal grandfather died from it just last year. Do you know what they did when there was an outbreak of TB? They quarantined sick people, not everyone in the country.

You can call what they're doing social distancing, flattening the curve, whatever you want to call it. It's house arrest. Healthy people are being put under house arrest for absolutely no reason. Yes, people have gotten Covid and have died from it and I feel terrible for this people. But people have been dying of respiratory illness for years. The only difference is that there hasn't been a gigantic media spotlight on it before.

I know this is going to get a million negative comments and reactions. I don't care. I refuse to live in fear of a virus that is less deadly than the flu.

• Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 16
  • Downvote 49
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 4

Giovanna, did I already say I love you? I was laughing like crazy with your reference to the selling of the Fontana di Trevi, btw we should still have a couple of blocks of old roman pave if someone is interested in buying it, I have to check but I believe I have a couple of hands from folks died from the Pompei eruption, I made really good price, pm me for info. ??

Have you checked the number, in the rest of the word? So India, Russia, France, Germany, Uk, are all in shit because in the Us is an election year? 1000 of dead basically every day are just from people who catch a mild form of flu? People in the ICU are just faking it? Do you know why that in Italy the ICU's are still empty for the main part? Because we have found a way to treat people who test positive before the COVID develop for the worst, but this is possible only because we have taken down the number at the start of the summer, and now we are living a normal life just using masks when you are in crowded space with unknown people (like restaurants, supermarket, public transports, doctors office, etc) guess what today is an Election Day in many regions, and there is also a national referendum and yet people go vote with no problem if they want, they just have to wait in line and wear a mask since there will be many people and someone could have a disease even if is not COVID, and that's it. I know you are young (19?) even here many young don't really understand the dangers of this new disease (this is one of the main problems is a new virus something nobody has encountered before and we are all at risk to catch it, and we don't know the long time effect) but don't think there is just a US problem we are all in this at the same time even if we are in a different situation, we have suffered very much in March April and now are able to restart life almost as before. I will say a last thing to you then I will shut up, masks are not only for COVID but many people are now seeing a benefit also for allergies and for those who have asthma or another respiratory disease. 

• Upvote 27
  • Love 5

On 9/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, ifosterkittens said:

After their chicken pox party I hope they wouldn't have a COVID party

They did and called it wedding.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

I avoid downvoting posts whenever possible but these are lies straight out of 45s playbook.

3 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Nobody is going to be able to build any immunity to Covid by using a mask and thinking that Covid will go away is absolutely idiotic. If Biden is voted into office this November you'll be wearing hazmat suits and living in a police state by January.

Only that there’s no proof of long lasting immunity. Like the flu, data suggest that a one time vaccine isn‘t enough. Btw. have you thought about the deaths and suffering involved until at least 60% of the people contracted Covid? Those are all sons, daughters, mothers, dads. Life isn‘t expendable no matter what your president says. Don‘t forget all the people who get Covid but never recover. Add that to the president wanting to repeal the ACA. See where this is going? While we‘re at it, after four more years of Trump you‘re not only gonna live in a police state (because news flash it was him who sent the federal troops to the cities) but in a autocracy. But of course this will still be the democrats fault.

3 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Do you know what they did when there was an outbreak of TB? They quarantined sick people, not everyone in the country.

Only that people with Covid start getting infectious a few days before symptom onset. Asymptomatic people who have Covid are infectious. People with Covid who only have a sore throat are infectious. People with Covid and symptoms like a cold are infectious. All those people spread the virus and can also get long term damage of heart and lungs. Now tell me please how we quarantine the „sick“ people if the symptoms are so diverse that a lot of the time only testing can tell if someone has Covid? And tell me why in this situation masks and a lockdown aren‘t the best and only answer we have?

Edit: @laPapessaGiovanna is spot on.

Edit2: To give you an example: I had tonsillitis or angina this summer. My Covid test was negative. An acquaintance had the same symptoms but it turned out to be Covid-19.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 27
  • Thank You 1

Just to add a little insult to injury I'd like to add to my original post that I'm a 37 year old liberal Atheist and and I've been voting Democrat since 2004, but this year I'll be voting Republican for the first time. I'm also a gun toting supporter of the 2nd amendment so add that to your list of reasons for down voting.

I despise Trump; he's a sexist pig and a terrible human being. But he's the type of person my country needs at a time like this. Sleepy Joe Biden can barely tie his shoes without reading the instructions. He was a great sidekick for Obama, but when Gotham City is on fire the citizens are looking for Batman, not Robin.

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Where the fuck do you live? 19th century England? In the Nauglers' shitstead? The only people I ever met who had TB were an elderly survivor of Nazi camps and refugees just landed on our shores after fleeing war and famine. None of them died of it because antibiotics.

Raised in Pennsylvania, currently living in Virginia. My maternal grandparents met in a TB sanitarium. By the time my maternal grandfather died in 1983 he was surviving with only a quarter of one lung. We believe he got TB visiting red light districts while serving in WW2. As for my paternal grandfather who died last year of TB, the doctors believe he probably got it either while stationed on the island of Okinawa during his time in the Korean War and/or while visiting my maternal grandfather in the sanitarium. They were close friends before they ever got married and started families.

Also you should probably increase your research into TB because you're missing a LOT of facts. Just sayin... ?

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 33
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Only until we find a vaccine.

Y'all are really foaming at the mouth for this magic vaccine. If vaccines are so wonderful why do people still get the flu? Flu vaccines should wipe the flu out completely, right!?

And no, I'm absolutely NOT an anti-vaxxer. The rounds of vaccines giving in infancy and early childhood are 100% necessary and have been incredibly effective.

• Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 25
  • WTF 3

5 minutes ago, becky_m2001 said:

If vaccines are so wonderful why do people still get the flu? Flu vaccines should wipe the flu out completely, right!?

You really don’t know a lot about vaccines right? Influenza vaccine is different because Influenza viruses tend to mix and match so there are always new influenza strains around. You never know exactly which ones occur at flu season. So you watch which strains are in the southern hemisphere in their „winter“ and compose your vaccine accordingly. Sometimes the vaccine for the northern hemisphere is spot on and sometimes new strains appear in our winter so the vaccine is only partially effective. Please educate yourself before you post such nonsense.

• Upvote 29
  • Thank You 2

45 minutes ago, becky_m2001 said:

Just to add a little insult to injury I'd like to add to my original post that I'm a 37 year old liberal Atheist and and I've been voting Democrat since 2004, but this year I'll be voting Republican for the first time.

You're a walking and talking oxymoron.

I despise Trump; he's a sexist pig and a terrible human being. But he's the type of person my country needs at a time like this. Sleepy Joe Biden can barely tie his shoes without reading the instructions. He was a great sidekick for Obama, but when Gotham City is on fire the citizens are looking for Batman, not Robin.

In what alternative universe tRump is Batman and Biden is Robin? As I said you're a trumpster who swallowed the propaganda hook, line and sink. And no, I don't believe you voted for Hillary last time.

I'm also a gun toting supporter of the 2nd amendment so add that to your list of reasons for down voting.

Done.

My

My maternal grandparents met in a TB sanitarium. By the time my maternal grandfather died in 1983 he was surviving with only a quarter of one lung. We believe he got TB visiting red light districts while serving in WW2. As for my paternal grandfather who died last year of TB, the doctors believe he probably got it either while stationed on the island of Okinawa during his time in the Korean War and/or while visiting my maternal grandfather in the sanitarium. They were close friends before they ever got married and started families.

Also you should probably increase your research into TB because you're missing a LOT of facts. Just sayin..

Nothing you said contradicts what I said. Your grandparents got TB more than 70 yrs ago while living in poor conditions in war torn countries. TB is not highly infectious in normal conditions and is caused by bacteria, I am not the one who says so, science is pretty clear on the matter. Quoting from the Mayo Clinic website: "although tuberculosis is contagious, it's not easy to catch. You're much more likely to get tuberculosis from someone you live with or work with than from a stranger."

TB can't be compared with a viral highly infectious disease like COVID. It's apple and oranges.

32 minutes ago, becky_m2001 said:

Y'all are really foaming at the mouth for this magic vaccine. If vaccines are so wonderful why do people still get the flu? Flu vaccines should wipe the flu out completely, right!?

No. Because flu causing viruses have a habit of mutating, something Sars-CoV-19 doesn't seem inclined to do fortunately. Also, flu vaccinations rates are too low to cause herd immunity, even the best vaccine is of no use if not enough people get it.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 25
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic