IGNORED

Seewalds 44: Skip the Ads and Jessa Won’t Get Paid!

nelliebelle1197

On 11/10/2020 at 11:35 PM, raayx01 said:

The problem I have with Jessa is just she's always trying to dress her kids to be little adults. I get she doesn't like shirts that say mommy's little hero, but a hot wheels or paw patrol shirt isn't a big deal. it seems like her kids are always wearing flannels and jeans all year long though I don't think it gets that cold in Arkansas. 

I think Jessa dresses the kids comfortable. And the fact Ivy is not dressed "fancy/ruffled" makes me feel relieved.

Most moms (me included) dress little children according to "mom tastes". With 3 little ones, shopping different styles for everyone of them must be expensive and time-consuming! Also, sometimes children don't have clothing preferences at all. 

Some moms dress the children like minihippies, others like if everyday was Sunday, others only in sweatpants etc. If Jessa dislikes cartoon t-shirts and loves flanels, it is not better or worse than other styles. 

The moment Ivy wants jeans or Spurge says he prefers cartoon t-shirts and those are banned, there will be a problem. But by now, Jessa is just a mom deciding her little kids outfits, and I really don't see a problem.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

Y'all need to check out Primary! Plain, basic colored, gender neutral clothing. Pricier than places like Carters, but also much less than trendy boutiques. And they are great quality. The most they have for patterns are things like stripes, polka dots, hearts, stars, etc. 

I recognize that Carters and places like it are super gender segregated, but I actually like their stuff (I'm a complete sucker for the sets that have a little animal/picture on the butt or unusual [for baby clothes] animals like sloths, chickens, otters, etc.). I like cute baby things, and my boys love bright colors and animals and trucks and dinosaurs. My oldest absolutely hates pants that don't have a stretchy, soft waist, and is a peanut, so drawstrings are a must. And both my kids would live in their fleece one piece pjs if I let them (and, in fact, they usually do on weekends). I don't find them to be hideous, I think they are cute. I wish it were acceptable for me to wear clothes with cute dinosaurs and bears and llamas on them, haha. 

But I'm also not bothered by people choosing to dress their kids differently/more adult if that is their preference and ok with their kiddo. My older two are reaching the point where I am letting them make their own choices, and I really think that is the most important, to give them the space to figure out and wear what they want to as a way to explore their own personality and expression. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Most of my kid’s stuff is from Carters too. In an attempt to not go girly, one of my friends gave my daughter stuff from the boys’ department. She wore it but I tend to buy cute animal prints (cats, dinosaurs, foxes etc). It’s soft, comfortable and washes well. Plus, Carters has preemie sizes which my kiddo needed for the first three weeks of her life. Basically, I figure to each their own when it comes to dressing kids. I don’t like leather skirts and crop tops on little ones but that’s just my opinion. 

• Upvote 7

On 11/9/2020 at 4:54 AM, medimus said:

What are Jon Jon's Bubbles and longalls?

Longalls are the pants jumper, a jon jon is the shorts version usually worn in the summer without a shirt underneath, and bubbles are like the long sleeve one...but they also make them in short sleeve and tank style for warm weather. The candy-cane pattern on the longall is called smocking and it's a type of embroidery.

candy-cane-longall-smocked-boys_1024x1024@2x.jpg

holiday-plaid-james-bubble-boys-matching-m_1024x1024@2x.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

On 11/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, kmachete14 said:

I have a 2month old right now. We did not share baby's gender until she was born, in an effort to get "gender neutral" gifts at the shower. 

Right now there are really cute boutique-type gender neutral clothing stores for babies. Think of the colors mint, rust, cream, maroon, plaid and the textures of ribbed, fuzzy, quilted. These clothes are adorable, fashionable, and could be used for boys or girls. However, these are pretty expensive!! Think 25$ for a baby one-piece. 

On the other hand, there are Carter's one-piece footed zip up jammies 2 for $10. And they are HIDEOUS and tacky in my opinion. Think bright pink cats for girls and bright green Dinos for boys. Nothing is subtle or earth-toned. Everything is cartoony, shockingly bright, and strictly gendered. The only "neutral" things are solid gray or yellow. Ugh. 

I wish cheap baby brands would get on the gender neutral, but CUTE, bandwagon lol. 

From the outside looking in...the creams, rusts, mints (see Bella Duggar and Willow Balka) is as rote and overdone as the pinks, blues, light green and yellows of days gone by. They might be more subtle, but it’s all the same. 

• Upvote 6

@SassyPants Oh, I'm sure I'll look back at how dated these trendy baby clothes seem now! Just the same way I look back at myself dressed in overalls and puffy wind suits with a bowl cut hehee! But who can blame me, wanting to dress up my first baby girl in the baby fashions of the day LOL just wishing that it was more affordable 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I love greens and yellows so if I have children I'll likely buy those colours, a mix of neutral shades and don't object to some gendered stuff because sometimes it can't be avoided. My sister always complained that when her sons were younger she would go into stores see that the girls section had a lot of nice stuff in various styles and only a handful of boys stuff that was decent. 

• Upvote 5

My kids are 7 months and almost 3 and I enjoy dressing them how I like for now. I love henley shirts and muslin dresses. I buy a lot of Jamie Kay, like this:

IMG_2330.thumb.jpg.2cb2ca8a4d0855d5c2c23ea212a82018.jpg

I figure soon enough they'll be choosing what they wear so I'm enjoying it while I can.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

I find boys clothes are more durable, in general... which is annoying.  I have two daughters, who despite my original efforts to dress them as neutral as possible adore all things pink, sparkly, and cute.  They are also extremely hard on their clothes.  They are absolutely the girls in skirts climbing trees and building forts.  I realized a couple years ago that pushing them away from cute, girly clothes was as bad as pushing them to wear them.  But I really hate how flimsy girls clothes are in general.  

I’ve found Hanna Andersson and Lands End to be good quality, and here in Quebec there is a great kids store called Souris Mini that has really fun styles and quality for elementary school age kids.  But it is expensive!  I hate going through kids clothes every few months because of poor quality though, so I try to get sales and buy less clothes of better quality for them.  It doesn’t always happen, but I’m happy when it does.  At least they are finally at the stage where they stay in the same size for a while!  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I find boys clothes are more durable, in general...[snip]...But I really hate how flimsy girls clothes are in general.

I buy as many clothes I can from the men’s department for this very reason. They tend to fit me better, too, but the quality is noticeably higher!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 11/12/2020 at 1:03 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I think Jessa dresses the kids comfortable. And the fact Ivy is not dressed "fancy/ruffled" makes me feel relieved.

Most moms (me included) dress little children according to "mom tastes". With 3 little ones, shopping different styles for everyone of them must be expensive and time-consuming! Also, sometimes children don't have clothing preferences at all.

Most moms I know dress their little ones by comfort and function. Are they going the the playground? Is it snowy out? I dressed mine to allow maximum freedom, so the kids could do what they needed to do (climb, etc). I always cringed at baby girls who couldn't crawl properly because their dresses got in the way.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I don't have children (yet) but I have a much younger sibling and also lots of my friends are having children at the moment. I like H and M. Their newborn category (0-6 months) isn't divided, older clothes are, but on the website you can just shop by product (as well as shopping by gender) which I like. And there are a bunch of shops that just have clothes by type only, undivided like Slugs and Snails (gender neutral tights and leggings)Polarn O PyretHei MooseTootsa etc. Cleary bright, colourful, fun and soft is my style for kids :D

I'm currently wearing a men's knitted jumper (it's knitted, how could you ever tell it's for men) and I sometimes fit in to the largest boys' size of clothing (rarely the largest girls' as they tend to be smaller) which is so much cheaper than adult women's and usually sturdier too.

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Most moms I know dress their little ones by comfort and function. Are they going the the playground? Is it snowy out? I dressed mine to allow maximum freedom, so the kids could do what they needed to do (climb, etc). I always cringed at baby girls who couldn't crawl properly because their dresses got in the way.

Agreed, but this is a Duggar we are talking about. IMO, their clothing as never really matched the venue or activity at hand. Remember when they showed up to work on a farm and the girls were in flip flops?  The owners actually asked the girls if they intended to work in those shoes. Or riding horses in skirts, swimming and running races in jeans. It’s as if no thought at all was given to the weather or activity planned.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I would be wildly unpopular with moms if we were allowed to go out and make mom friends right now (pandemic). I have a five month old daughter and 90% of what she has is pink, by my choice. I love all things girly; I don't think we ever got all the glitter out of my high school car. When she notices that clothes come in other styles it's fine if she wants different stuff, I've also gotten her a couple boy outfits because they were cute, but I love pink!!

Almost all of her stuff is from Carter's too, easy to get stains out and it goes right in the dryer, not to mention I get ten dollar rewards on occasion. Here's a secret, loads of their clothes are gender neutral, if you sort by age or featured or whatnot, lots of them come up for both boys and girls. They also make dog and dinosaur shirts for girls, not sure if the boys have unicorns or not. To sum up though, a double zipper on a sleeper is so important I don't care what it looks like 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I really like Tea Collection for my toddler daughter. Super durable but very pricey. I try to hit up their sales once or twice a year and stock up. But I’ve seen a noticeable difference on how it holds up compared to others. I also really like Target’s Cat and Jack leggings. Really well priced and very durable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Agreed, but this is a Duggar we are talking about. IMO, their clothing as never really matched the venue or activity at hand. Remember when they showed up to work on a farm and the girls were in flip flops?  The owners actually asked the girls if they intended to work in those shoes. Or riding horses in skirts, swimming and running races in jeans. It’s as if no thought at all was given to the weather or activity planned.

JB & M didn’t care what the kids wore as long as their warped ‘modesty’ ideals were respected - unless it was for a photo shoot. On 19AC they showed them going to New York and there was a magazine shoot- Josh was smugly telling the viewers that the magazine provided the clothing and they got to keep it.

That was the Duggar way. These days they have realised the potential money to be made from Instagram ‘influencing ‘ hence the kids style their own children rather better to suit whatever image they are promoting.

Edited by Idlewild
  • Upvote 11

Screenshot_20201116-194201.thumb.png.5d29a31c1399c78f701cfc93a4b8e1e9.png

75422318_Screenshot_20201116-1942372.png.d37db76034c64aa98b2cc803f9bec710.png

Joy's Instastories (fun 20+ person multi-household gathering during a Covid surge, par for the course) show what looks like Jessa wearing pants at the TTH!

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

9 hours ago, indianabones said:

Joy's Instastories (fun 20+ person multi-household gathering during a Covid surge, par for the course)

Plus, if you look closely, quite a few of the people in attendance don't look like Duggars to me - so not just "family night". I know, their family alone would be enough people to violate COVID restrictions, but it seems they need to add others to the mix on top of that...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Nothing if not critical said:

Plus, if you look closely, quite a few of the people in attendance don't look like Duggars to me - so not just "family night". I know, their family alone would be enough people to violate COVID restrictions, but it seems they need to add others to the mix on top of that...

I think they always did - remember Anna’s hastily taken down story at the start of the pandemic which showed, I think, some Bates kids at family night. Then Anna had the nerve to post stories about being ‘cooped up’. 
I don’t know if it’s the lighting on the latest video but that house looks really grubby. 

• Upvote 8

On 11/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, FinallySignedUp said:

I would be wildly unpopular with moms if we were allowed to go out and make mom friends right now (pandemic). I have a five month old daughter and 90% of what she has is pink, by my choice. I love all things girly; I don't think we ever got all the glitter out of my high school car. When she notices that clothes come in other styles it's fine if she wants different stuff, I've also gotten her a couple boy outfits because they were cute, but I love pink!!

Almost all of her stuff is from Carter's too, easy to get stains out and it goes right in the dryer, not to mention I get ten dollar rewards on occasion. Here's a secret, loads of their clothes are gender neutral, if you sort by age or featured or whatnot, lots of them come up for both boys and girls. They also make dog and dinosaur shirts for girls, not sure if the boys have unicorns or not. To sum up though, a double zipper on a sleeper is so important I don't care what it looks like 

Hi friend ? I’m not a fan of the “neutrals” phase that’s popular right now. It’s drab and blah to me. I don’t have children yet but I’d definitely choose Lisa Frank vomit over something “rust” colored. Give me ALL the frills! 

I really wonder sometimes- some people seem like they’d be genuinely upset if their daughter  liked stereotypically girly things. I don’t see the same amount of concern about boys who decided they like dirt and trucks over tea parties??‍♀️

• Upvote 10

Hey I've been away from FJ a lonnnnnng time.  Just wondering does any one know if Ben has a job?  Is he still in seminary with Moody?  Has he graduated?  

Hey I've been away from FJ a lonnnnnng time.  Just wondering does any one know if Ben has a job?  Is he still in seminary with Moody?  Has he graduated?  

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe he still works as a tutor for the kids who require SOTDRT. In other words, he is financially dependent on JB. He was listed as an independent contractor on Jed’s political financial disclosure forms.
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Skeptic55 said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe he still works as a tutor for the kids who require SOTDRT. In other words, he is financially dependent on JB. He was listed as an independent contractor on Jed’s political financial disclosure forms.

I just can't wrap my head around this.  It seemed that the Seewald Family  values work, and Ben was working at a young teen in the Glass repair company. It is just odd to me in a patriarchal society that Ben is content just working  odd jobs for his father in law.  I thought he was serious about going to seminary.  He wasn't a great public speaker.  I haven't watched the show in years, so maybe he has improved, but I always had a hard time imagining him to work as a preacher but I could see him doing some sports oriented youth pastor programs.  At one time, he seemed to  venture out into showing some independent thought from the family line, but  again, not sure if he was cut off on that by JB right away or not.  

I suspect since the defection of Derick/Jill, JB is going to extremes to keep the in-laws in line.  Either he does it by sweetening their financial situation, or by intimidation.  I just wish the In-law and grown kids could see they really hold the cards here.  They could form an alliance among themselves and force JB to increase their cut, to give them more freedoms etc.  

A savvy inlaw, adult child could make some decent money by going rogue and partnering with TLC or another reality channel to feature their story.  Oh well, I guess the kids don't want to risk their money ties to JB.  

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic