IGNORED

Seewalds 44: Skip the Ads and Jessa Won’t Get Paid!

nelliebelle1197

4 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

TBH I have trouble reading analog clocks. Always have. No matter how long I stare at it my brain doesn't move past the lines. If I concentrate I can but a quick glance like most people? Nope. 

On the other hand, I can pretty much recognize Tchaikovsky when I hear but clocks? They confuse me. BTW the clock above? That's giving me a headache. Calculus and statistics were my worst subjects. Straight A's in psychology tho lol

I'm honestly the same way.  I'm a teacher (not math obviously) but it's one of those things. I was a gifted student but don't tell me quarter till or past or what have you either. For some reason it just never could stick. 

• Upvote 3

My son gave me a watch for Christmas that had only a diamond at 12 and no numbers. It was sometimes a challenge.

• Love 2

I remember being shamed when I was in about fourth grade for not being able to read an analogue clock. I could, but I wasn’t fast at it. The old witch didn’t give me enough time. I was still at the stage of kinda calculating what it was. I also have a habit of second guessing myself, “was it the Hand on the or near the four???” I got so frustrated and upset when she judged me and would not believe me when I said I could read it. Funny how that sticks in your mind. I have a four year old and when the time comes, I will help her learn to tell the times because of this. A few of her teen cousins can’t read an analogue clock. Never been without an iPhone. One thing I still suck at and have to calculate everytime is what I call army time. Aka 24hour clock. I hate that crap. I always have to minus 12. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, KSmom said:

I’ve helped kids with homework and I asked my daughter, they still teach how to read an analog clock in schools around here. I think a big problem is that they don’t see them much outside of school, so it’s one of those things that is learned and forgotten.

And just because I’m a proud math nerd, here is a picture of my kitchen clock. My dad gave it to me.

8E4B77DA-069E-4C99-881F-A55FD85236D8.jpeg

Looking at that clock just stresses me out.  I can tell analog time just fine, even if the clock was completely blank I'd be fine, but just having to look in the general direction of those numbers/letters/formulas makes me feel twitchy.  I am absolutely terrible at math and it's always been the bane of my existence, lol.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I'm honestly the same way.  I'm a teacher (not math obviously) but it's one of those things. I was a gifted student but don't tell me quarter till or past or what have you either. For some reason it just never could stick. 

Yes!!! I'm a teacher too. Special ed. All of my kids would be good at singing songs and learning colors. I can make up a childs rhyme in seconds. But tell me quarter past, you'll see dear in headlights! 

7 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My cousin recently discovered she had dyscalculia in her 3rd year of university. She struggled with time and other number related stuff but only got tested when she struggled with stuff to do with her uni coursework, it is apparently more common than people realise but isn't as well tested for as dyslexia is. 

I always thought I had dyscalculia. But it's almost never tested for. Most people think learning disorders are kids not knowing how to read. Nope. I read perfectly fine and advanced. Hell I got a dual masters degree. But simple math? Nope nope nope. I use a calculator for that. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Nope nope nope. I use a calculator for that.

I did my PhD in theoretical astrophysics, which covers a whole range from modelling observations (mine) to hard-core theory creating models from basic fundamental physics with no observations, and then making predictions for astronomers to observe (let's call him Prof B). Prof B was modelling galactic dynamics (already very maths heavy) but with the added complications of unknown matter and energy ("dark" stuff). He basically thinks in equations. He's dyslexic, but imagine our surprise when he also admitted to having dyscalculia - he mixes up numbers, struggles with analogue clocks (he's mid-60s now, so basically had to struggle for decades) etc. We both use calculators for "simple" maths!

I was fine at maths until long division at primary school. Never had a problem getting the right answers with short division, but apparently that made me "weak" in maths. And secondary school, and the endless geometry, and statistics was awful. Then I got to A-level, we did algebraic long division, so finally I understood! And weirdly, it just got easier from then on. It seems surprisingly common - so take heart non-number people. You may actually just be bad with numbers, but great at maths!

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

I find intellectual blind spots interesting. I'm a whiz at 2D puzzles- I could do 100 piece jigsaws easily at age 2 and enjoy 2000-5000 piece puzzles now, quickly and easily being able to scan the pieces for the one with the right shape, colour and pattern.  But give me something 3D like a Rubik's Cube and I am a complete dunce. I cannot even solve one side. I can't get my brain to follow the flow of decisions to move this wanted piece to here so that I can move this one into position and then move the first piece back. Both of these skill sets relate to spatial intelligence yet one comes to me without effort and the other seems impossible to me.

• Upvote 12

Special ed teacher here and taught back in the dark ages.  Reading analog clocks is no longer taught along with Roman numerals and handwriting and other things...whole language instead of phonics? Don't start me.

Dyscalculia and Dyselxia are very real but cannot be diagnosed by teachers/schools. It has to be by a psychologist and many parents don't have the funds for that. 

I tell my students I want them proficient at using calculators because as an adult that is what they are going to use, along with Grammarly.

• Upvote 12

Wow! I had no idea so many people had problems with reading the analog clock. Good to know! Math always came really easy to me and so does telling time, the only thing that takes an extra second is to remember which one is am and which one is pm since we don’t really use them in Sweden and I always think the whole ”ante is before and post is after” in my head and then have to remember that meridiem is the middle of the day and not the middle of the night. :)

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I tell my students I want them proficient at using calculators because as an adult that is what they are going to use, along with Grammarly.

For those who can learn and apply specific academic skills, they should be taught. Everyone should be exposed because it helps with the inherent understanding of concepts for those who catch on. But for those who can't, or for whom it causes so much frustration they learn to hate school and learning, extra tools are fabulous and should be taught and used and not shamed.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

My son gave me a watch for Christmas that had only a diamond at 12 and no numbers. It was sometimes a challenge.

I once knew a young lady who had a watch with no numbers at all, not even a diamond to mark the 12 o'clock spot.  She loved to show it off while explaining that a former boyfriend gave it to her and it was very expensive.

I was not impressed and said "Well, for all the money that thing cost, you'd think they could include the numbers."

• Haha 7
  • Love 4

When I was in public grammar school in the 70s we not only had analog clocks, but analog clocks with Roman numerals!  So we  had a whole math unit on Roman numerals too.  I believe that was 3rd or 4th grade.  It wasn't just reading them;  they were presented as math problems as well.

For example:  V + V = X (5 + 5 = 10); and C - L = L (100 - 50 = 50)

If anything, it taught us how to think on another level.  I always treated it like secret code!  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I’m not a math nerd AT ALL. All these numbers and rules and theories you gotta apply to reach a result make my head spin and during the last two years in high school, I couldn’t really follow what was going on in math class.

Do I have dyscalculia? I don’t know and tbh, I don’t actually think so. In everyday life, I can manage just fine and it’s only the more advanced high school stuff that makes me scratch my head. Also, reading analog clocks has never been an issue for me, I wouldn’t even need to see the numbers.

However, I do have a bit of a “fear” of mathematics in the sense that I don’t think I could actually study it and improve my skills. It’ll remain a mystery to me forever... That’s also one of the main reasons why I didn’t study psychology at Uni: one needs to take a few statistics classes and I was too afraid to fail so I decided to go for theology and English. Looking back, I think I would have managed, but at the time, the mere thought of taking math classes beyond a high school level seemed impossible. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, KSmom said:
[mention=25165]MathQueen[/mention], that clock is great for a classsroom! I find all math stuff so interesting! I recently read The Calculus Wars, about the fight between Newton and Leibneiz about who discovered Calculus, such a fascinating story. And full of politics.
My dad also recently gave me his slide rule from college, my goal is to learn how to use it. I was so touched he gave it to me.

Thanks for the recommendation @KSmom. It’s on order, and I look forward to reading it!
I have my dad’s slide rule, too! I was a child when he passed away. He had started teaching me how to use it, and when his things were boxed away to keep for us kids, it was gifted to me. It is the only thing I had from him, and it had disappeared by the time we cleared out our parents’ home years ago. I wished that I could have given it to my son when he graduated from college, but instead I gave him a similar one I had found at a yard sale. Not two weeks later I got a phone call from my brother. He had been cleaning out his garage, opened up some boxes of things he had packed up at the house twenty years before, and there was the slide rule, case, and instruction book! Since its return, I’ve decided that I can’t part with it, so it’s on a bookshelf near the clock. MathBoy will get it when I’m gone.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
fixed mention formatting
  • Love 12

When the standard test for first grade came (last year of kindergarten) I had massive problems with the analogue clock. Who the puts that on a test for 5 year olds??? Well, I can report after practicing with my parents for a few weeks and growing up I am absolutely fine with analogue (Latin and Arabic numbers) as well as digital (military time- the am/pm concept is not used here) clocks. 
What does confuse me sometimes is talking about time. Quarter past four is the same as quarter five, with quarter five being more used in the Franconian dialect my family speaks. At least in my experience. This made me crazy well into my teenage years.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

What does confuse me sometimes is talking about time. Quarter past four is the same as quarter five, with quarter five being more used in the Franconian dialect my family speaks. At least in my experience. This made me crazy well into my teenage years.

What really confuses kids in English is the “quarter” in quarter after and quarter ‘til. Second grade is the year they also start identifying and using coins other than just pennies and dimes. They learn that a quarter is 25 cents, but a quarter hour is 15 minutes. They haven’t learned about fractions yet. So the quarter hour is very confusing for some kiddos.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I like using the analogue clocks to help to teach elapsed time. It helps for some students to move the minute hand. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

On 8/30/2020 at 10:43 PM, MathQueen said:

What really confuses kids in English is the “quarter” in quarter after and quarter ‘til. Second grade is the year they also start identifying and using coins other than just pennies and dimes. They learn that a quarter is 25 cents, but a quarter hour is 15 minutes. They haven’t learned about fractions yet. So the quarter hour is very confusing for some kiddos.

That happens in first grade in my state -- they learned through dimes in kinder just briefly, we go all in on coins and time, eventually to five minutes by the end of the year. Anyway, this is why we also do basic fractions in first, we can really stress that quarter is first and foremost a word for a fourth, and people used the quarter dollar so much the word stuck. Plus in firsties there's typically no fear of fractions, it's made up of colorful shapes and very hands on so it starts them off well with something adults often remember badly. 

PS, I've never heard of an elementary school that doesn't teach analog clocks -- I'd check what standards they're using and avoid that school if they're not 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The U.S. Common Core Math standards have telling time with analog clocks to the half hour in 1st grade, to 5 minutes in 2nd grade and to the minute in 3rd grade.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

The Seewald kids are wearing matching T-shirts that make me think baby announcement photo shoot. Brother bee and sister bee. It's a cute look and they do make cute kids (standard it's such a shame about the cult notation)

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lexiloumarie said:

The Seewald kids are wearing matching T-shirts that make me think baby announcement photo shoot. Brother bee and sister bee. It's a cute look and they do make cute kids (standard it's such a shame about the cult notation)

In the website Jessa bought the shirts there's a baby bee onesie...

Edited by HermioneSparrow
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I figured there was. It'll be a cute announcement. Figure early 2021 most likely. A shorter gap than henry to ivy but longer than spurge to henry. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

The only thing making me think it’s not a baby announcement is that she posted those pictures. It’s too much of a spoiler. 

JinJer did this tho. They posted the ‘sugar and spice’ pics on Jinger’s birthday, and we saw later it was actually her pregnancy announcement for Prop.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I was about to say maybe she got them for Father's Day (since I do similar themed tshirts for husband + kids) but then I looked it up and realised you guys didn't have Father's Day last week like we did. So I think you're on the money that it'll be an announcement.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic