IGNORED

Seewalds 44: Skip the Ads and Jessa Won’t Get Paid!

nelliebelle1197

I know I’m always referencing the conservatives at work (but you learn a lot about people during a 12 hour shift!). Yesterday the talk was how the “pandemic is about to get much worse (but also it’s just a flu and really not that bad and you shouldn’t be afraid) when Biden gets in office”. I’m like you guys do realize that it’s literally at its worst right now?! And we have zero federal leadership doing anything about it?? And I’m a freakin nurse working with other nurses who think herd immunity will solve this. I said “so you’re cool with sacrificing your grandparents?”  They said only Ebola was an actual pandemic. ?‍♀️ 

ETA: I have an easy time believing the seewalds think Ivanka shops small and gives a crap after I listen to that stuff at work every day ?

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 18
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Mike and Guinn certainly aren’t doing he sharpest tools in the shed. ?

Guinn's a proud member of Parler. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3

15 hours ago, mstee said:

I know I’m always referencing the conservatives at work (but you learn a lot about people during a 12 hour shift!). Yesterday the talk was how the “pandemic is about to get much worse (but also it’s just a flu and really not that bad and you shouldn’t be afraid) when Biden gets in office”. I’m like you guys do realize that it’s literally at its worst right now?! And we have zero federal leadership doing anything about it?? And I’m a freakin nurse working with other nurses who think herd immunity will solve this. I said “so you’re cool with sacrificing your grandparents?”  They said only Ebola was an actual pandemic. ?‍♀️ 

ETA: I have an easy time believing the seewalds think Ivanka shops small and gives a crap after I listen to that stuff at work every day ?

Because I can rant here - I have lots of  nurses and medical technicians and front line social workers in my extended family / friends social media circle. A handful of them are the WORST about being careful to avoid catching and spreading COVID. Constant photos of various “adventures” - out of town on road-trip vacations at packed events, crowded with random friends at a bar- taking selfies with no masks- of course. We live in a strict state, that’s about to get much stricter- so they are constantly going to surrounding, less restrictive areas. And then Going to work! Arrrgghhh. I don’t think any of them would identify as conservative or as a Trump supporter. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Because I can rant here - I have lots of  nurses and medical technicians and front line social workers in my extended family / friends social media circle. A handful of them are the WORST about being careful to avoid catching and spreading COVID. Constant photos of various “adventures” - out of town on road-trip vacations at packed events, crowded with random friends at a bar- taking selfies with no masks- of course. We live in a strict state, that’s about to get much stricter- so they are constantly going to surrounding, less restrictive areas. And then Going to work! Arrrgghhh. I don’t think any of them would identify as conservative or as a Trump supporter. 

Is there no workplace rule in place? Can they not be relieved from duty or get fined? My mother is a teacher and if it would come out that she travelled to a country with an active travel warning she would at least have to face disciplinary actions and a note in her record. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Is there no workplace rule in place? Can they not be relieved from duty or get fined? My mother is a teacher and if it would come out that she travelled to a country with an active travel warning she would at least have to face disciplinary actions and a note in her record. 

Coming out of lurkdom to say this: as a current COVID nurse in a hotspot, we’re so short-staffed it’s unlikely anything will happen to them. They might get a verbal warning, but even that’s iffy.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 8

I have an aunt who is a registered nurse who is just the worst about both vaccine and Covid conspiracies.  She has herself all worked up about every single wild theory there is, and I just don’t get it.  It’s maddening.  I’m so frustrated.  We are Canadian and the only theory I can cone up with is that the cases haven’t gotten critical in their area yet.  

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, treehugger said:

I have an aunt who is a registered nurse who is just the worst about both vaccine and Covid conspiracies.  She has herself all worked up about every single wild theory there is, and I just don’t get it.  It’s maddening.  I’m so frustrated.  We are Canadian and the only theory I can cone up with is that the cases haven’t gotten critical in their area yet.  

This is what I’m seeing in my “it’s just the flu!” members of my family. Because they haven’t been directly impacted by someone dying, it’s not that big of a deal. I talked to one family member last night who flat out said “it’s not a big deal” because she contracted it but only had mild symptoms (and no long-hauler symptoms). 

• Upvote 3
  • Angry 2
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2

33 minutes ago, treehugger said:

I have an acquaintance who is similar. Paediatric nurse who refuses vaccines, suggested I stop using my inhalers and treat my asthma with herbs, and refused medical treatment for an injury. She takes time off every year during flu season because she finds work too stressful if it’s busy. I was horrified that during the first wave, she was reading at the live streamed Mass on Holy Thursday. I know that there were only four or five people in the building but still. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

I'm a wedding photographer and in the last three weeks I have photographed three weddings. The brides in every one of these weddings are in the medical field. Wedding one is a current medical student, wedding two is a nurse, and wedding three is a nurse (this wedding also had several fellow nurses at it). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

The nurse at my doctor's office said the same thing. Its just like the flu. I never would have guessed it since she always seemed so knowledgeable about medical stuff. She went on to say we don't have cures for AIDS but then remembered that they do have medicines to treat it so its not as bad as it was in the 80s. I really don't get it. She really seems smart. Normally I point out how scientists managed to figure out what was the cause of the Black Death, yellow fever and the polio vaccine. But I was too stunned to point it out to a nurse. She should know that. I really don't get it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

I hate to say this but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to become a nurse. I worked in a hospital for over 5 years and an urgent care for 2 more and I've found nurses, much like cops, are mostly right wing assholes. My  Bff at the time was a nurse she's dumb as a box of rocks, and gullible AF, still is, but isn't an nurse anymore as she's legal junkie, she's been addicted to Rx painkillers for about 15 years and has a "disability" that keeps her at a pain clinic where she's stoned out of her mind 24/7.  An RN is a 2 yr degree that is fairly simple to get  and a job that has flexible hours and pays well.  The nurses you hear going on about how COVID isn't real are nurses that don't work in COVID wards or ERs they might see a few patients here & there or test patients and give them diagnosis but they don't see the worst of it. These are people who think if I haven't seen/experienced it it isn't real.  They see the worst of society & become jaded very quickly, it is easier to think people are doing things to themselves other than it is being done by others who we've been taught to believe are here to protect us. 

• Upvote 11

See, in Canada it takes 4 years of university to become an Registered Nurse (or RN).  Registered Practical Nursing (or RPN) is a 2 year college degree.  RN’s in Canada used to be able to get their degrees at a college, but it was always a 4 year program and became a university program a decade or so ago.  I expect better of them, but alas.... 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 11/13/2020 at 7:08 PM, Giraffe said:

I buy as many clothes I can from the men’s department for this very reason. They tend to fit me better, too, but the quality is noticeably higher!

Better pockets always and usually better fabrics! 
I always wondered why dudes weren’t constantly cold the way women tend to be. Uh, try on a pair of men’s sweatpants and compare them to women’s. The men get better pockets and more fabric to stay warmer, and their stuff is cheaper. ?‍♀️ what a racket.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

... An RN is a 2 yr degree that is fairly simple to get  and a job that has flexible hours and pays well.  

3 hours ago, treehugger said:

See, in Canada it takes 4 years of university to become an Registered Nurse (or RN).  Registered Practical Nursing (or RPN) is a 2 year college degree.  RN’s in Canada used to be able to get their degrees at a college, but it was always a 4 year program and became a university program a decade or so ago.  I expect better of them, but alas.... 

Most Registered Nurses in the US are RN BSN certified which means that they completed RN certification within 4 year Bachelors Degree programs from an accredited College or University.  RN BSN programs are highly competitive, academically challenging, and definitely not simple to complete.  A much smaller number of RNs hold ADN certification which means that they completed RN programs within shorter technical training college programs (generally 2 year programs requiring about 1 year of college level pre-requisites before enrollment).  Even fewer hold RN certification from hospital based non degree programs.  Hospital based education used to be common, but very few of these programs still exist in the US. (My 80+ year old mother-in-law received her RN from this type of program.  She never went on to complete a BSN.  My 26 year old niece also received her RN this way in one of the few remaining hospital based programs.  She then immediately enrolled in a RN to BSN program while working as a non degreed nurse at the hospital where she was trained.)  Non BSN nurses make significantly less money than BSN RNs and are generally not able to take on the same levels of responsibility and job growth.  The goal of the Institute of Medicine and AACN (American Association of Colleges of Nursing) is that all newly trained nurses will have a minimum qualification of a BSN.  Employers vastly prefer to hire BSN RNs.  Different states currently have different requirements, but NY (where my niece is) requires an RN to obtain a BSN within 10 years of initial certification or lose their certification.

Canada is a bit ahead of the US in legally mandating this change in educational level.  All Provinces except Quebec and Yukon began requiring baccalaureate degrees for newly entering nurses at various times between 1998 and 2012.  Nurses who were already in the field and are still working are not required to have BSN equivalent degrees,  Quebec continues to offer diploma programs and is working toward baccalaureate requirements.  Yukon has no entry level nursing educational programs and are currently silent on changing requirements.  Prior to the baccalaureate requirement, Canada had programs similar to the ones in the US.

Edited by Born Skeptic
formatting
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

10 hours ago, LillyP said:

I'm a wedding photographer and in the last three weeks I have photographed three weddings. The brides in every one of these weddings are in the medical field. Wedding one is a current medical student, wedding two is a nurse, and wedding three is a nurse (this wedding also had several fellow nurses at it). 

Do you feel it's wrong to get married during a pandemic?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Do you feel it's wrong to get married during a pandemic?

There’s a difference between getting married and having a wedding.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 25

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I hate to say this but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to become a nurse. I worked in a hospital for over 5 years and an urgent care for 2 more and I've found nurses, much like cops, are mostly right wing assholes. My  Bff at the time was a nurse she's dumb as a box of rocks, and gullible AF, still is, but isn't an nurse anymore as she's legal junkie, she's been addicted to Rx painkillers for about 15 years and has a "disability" that keeps her at a pain clinic where she's stoned out of her mind 24/7.  An RN is a 2 yr degree that is fairly simple to get  and a job that has flexible hours and pays well.  The nurses you hear going on about how COVID isn't real are nurses that don't work in COVID wards or ERs they might see a few patients here & there or test patients and give them diagnosis but they don't see the worst of it. These are people who think if I haven't seen/experienced it it isn't real.  They see the worst of society & become jaded very quickly, it is easier to think people are doing things to themselves other than it is being done by others who we've been taught to believe are here to protect us. 

That applies to any degree or profession though. I didn’t mean to throw nurses in particular under the bus - it’s just more striking when you see a health care provider being all cavalier about a pandemic - a lawyer out taking selfies at a bar isn’t as likely to impact many people outside their own circle. 

• Upvote 5

So the worst nurse offenders at my job (that I was referencing above) have had covid. Their families had it. The most insufferable one watched her husband have pneumonia. Her aunt was hospitalized. And yep- still the same attitude. I’m like does it take being on a vent knocking on deaths door personally for you to think it matters? My unit got hit by covid a few months back and about 30% got it. Luckily everyone recovered- but it has seemed to make many of them more cavalier. “It was just like any other cold or flu! I just couldn’t taste or smell. No biggie”.  I have nurse friends working in an ER who work with nurses with the same attitude. It’s everywhere. 
And for clarification, we are all RN BSN nurses working labor & delivery. It’s very very frustrating. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There’s a difference between getting married and having a wedding.

I agree! I just wondered why OP agreed to photograph the wedding while criticizing the brides. Surely the presence of a wedding photographer just added to the risk. (Plus, I believe OP is pregnant as well).

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 4

I was unfair in singling out nurses, in defense I know a literal rocket scientist (he works for the JPL at NASA) who thinks COVID is a hoax and is a trumper as well.  DH has said you can have all the book smarts in the world but if you have no common sense you can still be stupid. 

• I Agree 10

On 12/5/2020 at 4:28 AM, Mama Mia said:

I don’t think any of them would identify as conservative or as a Trump supporter. 

I have relatives who are also apolitical (honestly, I don't even think they voted, and if they did it very well may have been Biden) and because of it, seem just completely checked out of the news? In the past three months my one cousin has hosted her in-laws 37th anniversary party (was that really de rigueur?), daughter's birthday party, soccer team sleep over,son's birthday party, and a Halloween party. I nearly fell over when I saw her mother, who is 64, underweight, and a lifetime smoker, at the Halloween party. 

Other relative posted a funny meme referencing not getting to see family this Christmas, and this cousin comments "Why wouldn't you get to see family?" just completely bewildered and unaware that there is a pandemic going on. 

I think we don't realize how checked out of global news and events a lot of people are. Especially when it doesn't suit their desires. I also have more understanding now of why so many governors make so many seemingly arbitrary rules. A lot of people don't understand the spirit of the law, only letter of the law. You have to specifically forbid something for them to understand it's not a good idea. 

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I have relatives who are also apolitical (honestly, I don't even think they voted, and if they did it very well may have been Biden) and because of it, seem just completely checked out of the news? In the past three months my one cousin has hosted her in-laws 37th anniversary party (was that really de rigueur?), daughter's birthday party, soccer team sleep over,son's birthday party, and a Halloween party. I nearly fell over when I saw her mother, who is 64, underweight, and a lifetime smoker, at the Halloween party. 

Other relative posted a funny meme referencing not getting to see family this Christmas, and this cousin comments "Why wouldn't you get to see family?" just completely bewildered and unaware that there is a pandemic going on. 

I think we don't realize how checked out of global news and events a lot of people are. Especially when it doesn't suit their desires. I also have more understanding now of why so many governors make so many seemingly arbitrary rules. A lot of people don't understand the spirit of the law, only letter of the law. You have to specifically forbid something for them to understand it's not a good idea. 

So true. I have a family member who has a lot of issues, for sure, but the other day asked me in casual conversation if everyone was vaccinated for Covid yet. He doesn’t plan on getting it because * insert random YouTube conspiracy theory here* , but genuinely didn’t know if you could just go to your dr’s office to get it right now. 

• Sad 6

I know an ER doctor who officiated a large-ish(150 person) wedding this fall.  According to the photos there were several other ER doctors in attendance and a plethora of ER nurses(bride and groom work in emergency medicine as well).  I didn’t see a single mask in any of the candid photos and even though tables were spaced out at the reception people were intermingling.   
Nobody thinks it’s a hoax; they’ve all treated many patients with Covid and some who are very sick.  Several have had mild Covid cases themselves.  They just all have the attitude it’s not worth stopping life for.

I’m starting to see holiday party pictures from ER staff now too.  None of these people are dumb or uneducated; several are MDs and many the nurses have a master’s degree. The hospital only hires BSNs now. 

I don’t get it. I had Covid myself from a workplace exposure. My symptoms were mild, but I don’t feel we know enough yet for me to just assume I am immune.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, Mama Mia said:

Out of the 10 tenants I have 2 are not nurses, the nurses when I see them never wear masks and they come close to me.

I am always like hello your in the medical field stay away from me.

I think it's because they feel protected at work they don't care.

I did give each tenant though a gift card this year even the bad one who gave me an anxiety attack

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

14 hours ago, sableduck said:

I know an ER doctor who officiated a large-ish(150 person) wedding this fall.  According to the photos there were several other ER doctors in attendance and a plethora of ER nurses(bride and groom work in emergency medicine as well).  I didn’t see a single mask in any of the candid photos and even though tables were spaced out at the reception people were intermingling.   
Nobody thinks it’s a hoax; they’ve all treated many patients with Covid and some who are very sick.  Several have had mild Covid cases themselves.  They just all have the attitude it’s not worth stopping life for.

I’m starting to see holiday party pictures from ER staff now too.  None of these people are dumb or uneducated; several are MDs and many the nurses have a master’s degree. The hospital only hires BSNs now. 

I don’t get it. I had Covid myself from a workplace exposure. My symptoms were mild, but I don’t feel we know enough yet for me to just assume I am immune.

This is really interesting to me because at work we have been banned from leaving the country (am a doctor) as that is what public health advice is. If we do leave we have to quarantine for two weeks when we get back, unpaid and it wouldn't be looked on kindly. There was also a scandal in the summer when, just after they had announced some restrictions, a whole bunch of politicians and other high-and-mightys  went to a 'golf dinner'. I think in the end four politicians lost their positions over that. And we currently have a slight scandel over a retirement leaving party at RTE (the national broadcaster) of which pictures emerged of people standing too close together. There were 40 people there in total. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic