IGNORED

Teachers and Educators in the Times of Covid

JanasTattooParlor

43 minutes ago, Closed Womb said:

I start teaching in person again on Monday, so I can’t responsibly leave the state until time unknown.  

From one teacher to another, good luck next week. My district starts school Sept 8th and still hasn’t decided whether we’re going back in person or not. I’m praying for online because I can’t imagine what it’ll be like to go back in person in a time like this. I’m not leaving town again until Winter Break and even then I’m going to a secluded mountain cabin for a week. I’m so sorry about your grandmother, my best friend lost hers in May and was not able to attend the funeral even though it was in the same town she lives in. I just wish people would get their shit together so that we could get through the worst of Covid and actually start getting somewhat back to normal. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 16

2 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

From one teacher to another, good luck next week. My district starts school Sept 8th and still hasn’t decided whether we’re going back in person or not. I’m praying for online because I can’t imagine what it’ll be like to go back in person in a time like this. I’m not leaving town again until Winter Break and even then I’m going to a secluded mountain cabin for a week. I’m so sorry about your grandmother, my best friend lost hers in May and was not able to attend the funeral even though it was in the same town she lives in. I just wish people would get their shit together so that we could get through the worst of Covid and actually start getting somewhat back to normal. 

Thank you.  I’m at two different colleges, adjuncting at both.  One has a high dual enrollment population.  The public schools decided to go online for the first 4 weeks, but its being contested because, as I said, Florida.  My college has allowed me to enact some rules, but not others.  For instance, I can insist that masks are worn correctly (over nose and mouth), but I cannot do anything if it’s an ineffective mask (mesh or has a big hole cut into it).  I’m worried.  

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 4
  • Love 15

2 minutes ago, Closed Womb said:

Thank you.  I’m at two different colleges, adjuncting at both.  One has a high dual enrollment population.  The public schools decided to go online for the first 4 weeks, but its being contested because, as I said, Florida.  My college has allowed me to enact some rules, but not others.  For instance, I can insist that masks are worn correctly (over nose and mouth), but I cannot do anything if it’s an ineffective mask (mesh or has a big hole cut into it).  I’m worried.  

I’m a high school teacher and despite living in an area that is high risk our district is trying to wait to see if numbers go down by the beginning of next week (they won’t and they’ll only go up when we start after Labor Day weekend, but they refuse to listen to reason). The only bright spot was today they announced the mask policy if we’re in person would require a mask in the classroom and specified that it had to entirely cover the face nose to chin and that any student found not compliant would automatically be enrolled in our virtual school. I’m really hoping that if we’re in person I don’t have to deal with that, but I probably will considering my kids usually  won’t even take their headphones out when I ask them to. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 12

To all the teachers out there, we're all in this together.

We started back virtually last week, but it's difficult because I teach in a high poverty area. Even though our district has given laptops to students who need them, they don't always have someone at home to help them log on each day. I HATE teaching virtually, but I also live in a metro-Atlanta county that has been a COVID hotspot, so I know it's necessary. Many of the counties surrounding us that chose to go back in person have had to either shut down or quarantine whole classrooms at a time due to COVID outbreaks, only a few days into the school year. My boyfriend is in the high-risk category, it makes me thankful I don't have to worry as much about a school outbreak.

Our district is talking about a possible hybrid model going into effect next month, but it would still only be 5-6 kids in the classroom at once. Time will tell I guess. Many parents are protesting about schools that are virtual only, not to mention the White House and Professor Umbridge (aka Betsy DeVos) are making teachers and schools look like the bad guys in this situation. It really is a lose-lose situation. There is no possible scenario in a COVID world that is safe and will satisfy everyone.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 14

I feel for all of the teachers and parents here. My husband teaches, and they are supposed to start in person in two weeks. There is a mask requirement but in our state, we have seen spikes in cases. I work at a university, and we start in person soon, too. I am very nervous about our health, but we need to work. I hope everyone here stays well. I know these are anxious times.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 18

I am a high school teacher and I am feeling very nervous about the start of school. I still have no idea what I am going to be teaching. My husband works from home, so he is unlikely catch it first. Today I was worried about the possibility of catching it and passing it on to my husband. I am concerned about what would happen to my kids if something were to happen to both of us...

Would there be an interest in a thread for educators facing going back to school during a pandemic? It is nice to have a place to vent with all of the teacher hate that is so prevalent right now.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 16

All you teachers have my support. We have a choice here, though schools in my district are opening for face to face instruction on time. A neighboring district is planning to as well, but pushed their start off a few weeks to see how other districts do. 

I have expressed my support for all the teachers I know - it really sucks. There really is no perfect solution.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, Ali said:

Would there be an interest in a thread for educators facing going back to school during a pandemic? It is nice to have a place to vent with all of the teacher hate that is so prevalent right now.

I am not an educator; but you might check out the “Quiver Full of Corona Virus” thread in the Discussions section of FJ. Maybe you could start a thread there? 

I am so sorry you are seeing teacher hate. It is heartbreaking. I appreciate you and what you are doing. And I am sorry you have such worry right now. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

48 minutes ago, Ali said:

Would there be an interest in a thread for educators facing going back to school during a pandemic?

YES!!!!!!!

• Upvote 6

I want all teachers and people who love teachers and students here that I consider you all heroes and pray (whether ya like it or not ;) ) for your health and safety. I’m sick at heart at the risks TPTB are forcing you to take. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

37 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I want all teachers and people who love teachers and students here that I consider you all heroes and pray (whether ya like it or not ;) ) for your health and safety. I’m sick at heart at the risks TPTB are forcing you to take. 

Thank you!

I will be subbing this year, in the hopes that I'll have a full time job next year. I'm really worried. I don't have any choice- I have to work.  (I've been working on certifying in a new state, so wasn't hired for a classroom.)

I appreciate all of your nice words about teachers. I'm so tired of teachers getting slammed on the local website, as well as online articles and comments over the last 15 years.

My district is going to a hybrid- let parents decide between keeping kids at home, in person instruction two days a week, and full time instruction.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 5

52 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thank you. It’s been a unimaginable journey so far, and I still don’t know if I’m person or virtual.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

Thanks @Coconut Flan for moving this over here! There’s been so much teacher hate and all I keep seeing are people saying that they should take our pay away if we’re teaching online, that we’re selfish and only care about ourselves, that the virus is no big deal, and my district doesn’t seem to care about making a decision which would give us time to plan. We’re less than a month from starting, we start on Sept 8th and today our school board voted to leave the reopening decision up to each school instead of making a district wide decision. I’m infuriated because my first teacher workday is tomorrow and while I know what I’m teaching, I have no idea if I should be planning for fully online or not. On top of it, we have to learn a whole new online system and sit through our new safety protocol trainings and sit down with our departments to revise grading and testing policies. I’m so overwhelmed and just wish I knew what to plan for but no one seems to care about what the teachers want, they only listen to the rude outspoken parents who want their kids back in school maskless ASAP. I’m just glad I’ll be able to send any kids who refuse to follow rules to virtual school if we really do start in person. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 8

My school is Catholic (I am not) so when the big district here decided to go remote they doubled down on five day, full time in-person instruction and even said they thought they could get some more students that way. I just had a baby so I go back on November but I've been on the zoom meetings and they're ugly. Most staff are scared to go back, especially since we're told to get everything ready for virtual when we have to close to be quarantined. So they're totally sure people will be infected and would rather risk lives for a buck.

I'm still scared for November. I have to go on, have to bring my baby to daycare, so many risks. No way to take a year off though since I had to finance a 70K master's degree to get this 30K/year job. There is absolutely no teacher shortage in Chicago. 

Many of my friends in one of the suburban districts have been reassigned for distancing. They cut specials classes (music, PE, art, and those teachers will either fill in when others get Covid or teach something they're totally unfamiliar with all year. 

There is no "plan" -- there is a document with words that parents can read but none of our questions have been able to be answered at all, except by a doctor who happens to be a school parent wanting his annoying teen at school so he's saying it's all good. Our lives depend on students and parents staying home other than school and not having any playdates. We're told they will step it up because they care about us ? Oh and who will make sure the kids stand 6? 3? feet apart while their teacher wipe down two bathrooms after they go (not my job + more risk)? Well the kids will step it up. 

Edited by FinallySignedUp
  • Sad 3
  • Love 10

My district originally said masks were optional for kids until the gov required them.  I want my kids to wear masks and I want all kids to, but I also know kids and ughhh. Not practical for my kindergartener — I AM pro mask.  But one reason I’ve chosen not to send mine in for in-person school is because I know other kids won’t keep theirs on, and we have a number of people denying it here. I understand there are some kids who need to go to school. Parents/caregivers may be essential workers. There are children who need it emotionally (mine do, but some may need more so), need school lunch, etc. But what I’ve seen is that there are kids who COULD stay home, but parents are sending because “this is bullshit”, and those are the ones I’m scared about.  Parents are to pre-screen kids here before school, and with that mindset I know they won’t. I am scared for our teachers too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

Thanks to Isaes and all  destruction (power is still out for many going on day 7) student start date is September 8th. Our state has managed COVID pretty well so far but I'm still anxious. We have 8 days of PD, have to get personal stuff out of building, rooms will be set up with 13 desks & one techer desk.

We are starting with hybrid. Half of kids in M/Tues, closed and clean Wed, other half Thurs/Fri. I'm a special education teacher and have no clue how this is going to work out for co-taught classes, self contained, etc, much less how you do real live teaching for half the kids at a time... I decided I will just wait and be (un)pleasantly surprised. Ventilation in the building is a huge issue. Who wants the room that heats up to 90 degrees, windows that don't open, and we aren't allowed to use fans?

Finally several colleagues have really serious medical issues and then we have the "second tier" those if us with asthma, etc.

Parents can choose one of three options: total distance learning (reevaluate in January), hybrid,  or homeschool. It's going to be a shit show imo.

Buckle up, it's going to be a ride.

Shit, just got a copy if the/a schedule...ugh. 

Edited by WiseGirl
added text
  • Upvote 6

Our hybrid model allows parents to choose what days they are going to be sending kids. No A/B schedule... no set days. Just “work it out with the teacher”. ?

Shit show is right. Teachers don’t get paid enough for that. 

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 2

Thank you to everyone who is dealing with uncertainty in the education field right now.  I appreciate you!  My daughter is a teacher, and is trying to figure out how to manage things on-line only.  One of her classes may be a good fit for on-line instruction; but she teaches science, so she is concerned that her students won't be able to access the equipment for the full experience.  Angst!

Even though I'm not a teacher, it helps to read about what others are going through so I can have a better perspective about the challenges my daughter is facing.  Number one priority is stay healthy while teaching/learning.

I'll be thinking about you all!  ❤️

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Mom of a high school teacher here.  I’m so sorry you all are having to go through this. 

Her school is offering online or everyone goes 5 days a week.  Almost no one picked online, so she is trying to figure out how to fit 27 desks in her classroom, while keeping them 3’ apart....that is the guideline from the county health department.  Guess what...it can’t be done, but so far her administration doesn’t seem to care.

• Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 5

We got an email on Monday with instructions for returning school items or retrieving your child’s possessions if you are not having kids back for face to face instruction.  It’s apparently just like an open house for 4 hours and you send your kids in with masks to get their stuff.  I sort of wished they’d had appointment times to retrieve.... I don’t know how much my kid has there, but she does want her artwork.  I’m sort of surprised (but maybe not) that they’re just having this free for all. I asked the school how many people they’re expecting and they said they didn’t know. ?

Also - I’ve heard a few parents who I thought would do virtual are sending them in.  Two local school districts reported they have 70% of parents planning to send them back. How is this going to be distancing?  I’m so worried for the teachers and staff most at risk here.  

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 3

I don't know how teachers can possibly teach some kids in the classroom and some online, simultaneously.  Simply having a camera in place in the classroom is not sufficient to instruct kids online, it requires an entirely different lesson plan.  How are teachers supposed to accomplish this?

Family member is a teacher.  Her school is 100% planning to open fully, but the precautions and protocols needed are nearly prison-like, it is not going to be fun.  I don't think parents and students are fully aware of what in-person school is really going to be like.  I also think it is not going to last long.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Becky said:

I don't know how teachers can possibly teach some kids in the classroom and some online, simultaneously.  Simply having a camera in place in the classroom is not sufficient to instruct kids online, it requires an entirely different lesson plan.  How are teachers supposed to accomplish this?

Family member is a teacher.  Her school is 100% planning to open fully, but the precautions and protocols needed are nearly prison-like, it is not going to be fun.  I don't think parents and students are fully aware of what in-person school is really going to be like.  I also think it is not going to last long.  

They expect teachers to pre-record lessons for online instruction. Document cameras allow you to record. All you have to do is set it to record and the students can see everything you write and hear everything you say. Recording from a computer is also a possibility. @wallysmomma does this at the beginning of each JRod thread.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Ali said:

They expect teachers to pre-record lessons for online instruction. Document cameras allow you to record. All you have to do is set it to record and the students can see everything you write and hear everything you say. Recording from a computer is also a possibility. @wallysmomma does this at the beginning of each JRod thread.

Thanks for that explanation.  If teachers must teach the material twice (once recorded and once in the classroom), that is double the work.  And if they simply record the classroom session, that is likely inadequate for some online students and teachers will have to be available for questions and online assistance for those students.  I guess my concern is that the expectations for teachers are somewhat unrealistic.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Becky said:

I wondered the same thing. For our area, apparently they have district teachers who will be dedicated for virtual classes.  So for example, some teachers can’t be in the classrooms themselves, and have volunteered for virtual positions. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Becky said:

the expectations for teachers are somewhat unrealistic.  

I agree.

Also not all teachers are comfortable filming themselves.  Who wants to become a meme or worse? 

It will be interesting to see what the union negotiates.

• Upvote 4