IGNORED

Jerry Falwell Jr’s Zipper

Petronella

Jerry Falwell Jr shared (then deleted) a pic of himself and a female staffer with their pants unzipped. It’s bizarre.

He said hers were unzipped due to pregnancy and that he unzipped his in solidarity and that we shouldn’t worry about the drink in his hand because it’s just “black water” (???).

Hypocritical, oh yes. I bet a Liberty U student would get a serious reprimand for something like this.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jerry-falwell-jr-apology-unzipped-pic_n_5f2b0e2ec5b64d7a55ede1f8

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Jerry-Falwell-Jr-addresses-yacht-photos-but-15462105.php

I also appreciated this bit of commentary, which sidesteps the superficial hypocrisy to get at the much deeper one:

E79A066E-A99A-49A7-89E2-4E953D2C565F.jpeg

Edited by Coconut Flan
Edited title
  • Upvote 25
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

My opinion: 

It was a theme party. I think Trailer Park Boys was mentioned. I think that’s why it looks like she’s wearing a wig and they are both wearing their clothing so bizarrely. But he can’t say it was a theme party based on a tv show that isn’t godly. 

My guess is Jerry is dressing like Julian and the girl in the red wig is Sarah. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My opinion: 

It was a theme party. I think Trailer Park Boys was mentioned. I think that’s why it looks like she’s wearing a wig and they are both wearing their clothing so bizarrely. But he can’t say it was a theme party based on a tv show that isn’t godly. 

I agree that it was some kind of theme party but still.

I know a bunch of current LU students and alumni that are horrified over this. I think there will be some fall out especially with the stupid explanation. If he’d said hey it was a costume party and the costume was in bad taste it would have gone over better.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, gustava said:

Jerry may be in deep doodoo over this.

I doubt it. They always seem to forgive or minimize this type of behavior as a stumble. See: Jim Bakker,  Gothard, Mars HIll/Mark Driscoll, Vision Forum/Doug Phillips I know all three are out now but they were given chances many times before they were finally ousted, or quietly let go to pasture. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

There are some things you can't explain away.  Like 

• yacht
  • theme party on yacht

And everybody still remembers Pool Boy, right? 

The underlying problem? Falwell Jr., an uber wealthy scumbag with a huge dose of arrogance fed by wealth and privilege, can't be bothered to curate his social media presence to present at least a semblance of godliness.  

Also, keep in mind that Jr. isn't a preacher, never went to seminary. He's a lawyer and president of Liberty U. 

There's a good possibility that he may not survive this scandal. His net worth is reported to be around 100 million (yup, correct number of zeroes), so it's not like he'll be in the poor house if he resigns. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Side alert: John Crist, the creepy Christian comic is staging a comeback. He issued a lengthy non-apology blah, blah, blah that his fans ate up. He has started releasing new videos. 

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Howl said:

• yacht
  • theme party on yacht

The underlying problem? Falwell Jr., an uber wealthy scumbag with a huge dose of arrogance fed by wealth and privilege, can't be bothered to curate his social media presence to present at least a semblance of godliness.  

Also, keep in mind that Jr. isn't a preacher, never went to seminary. He's a lawyer and president of Liberty U. 

There's a good possibility that he may not survive this scandal. His net worth is reported to be around 100 million (yup, correct number of zeroes), so it's not like he'll be in the poor house if he resigns. 

to the bold - yes so many examples in religion, politics, show biz, regular life (wealthy in your own town that think they are better than everyone) - everywhere so many wealthy people don't think aren't entitled like those that receive social assistance. They show their privilege and entitlements on the other end of the spectrum and many are blind to it :(

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

I think he was on a friend's yacht? The yacht doesn't really bother me, but I do think it's in poor taste to basically be mocking people living in trailer parks while on one. (Especially if you are president of a "Christian" university.) 

The biggest hypocrisy is that students can and have been expelled for wearing and doing the things he is doing in the photo. They cannot show that much skin, they cannot be touching opposite sex people they are not married to, and they cannot suggest they are drinking alcohol (even if it's part of a costume). If it were a student in that photo, they would at least be pulled into a disciplinary meeting, if not kicked out of Liberty. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

Last Sept, @turquoise posted a link to a Politico expose of Falwell Jr., an article that is no longer on Politico's website.  Just a wild guess -- Falwell Jr. and Liberty U threatened to sue Politico into oblivion for libel if they didn't take down the article, which had a LOT of damning material about Jerry Jr.  I doubt that any of it was untrue, but Liberty U is a huge financial juggernaut, and the crushing legal power they could bring down on Politico would have likely destroyed them.  Politico has covered the Falwells extensively over the years. 

Summary: Jerry Falwell, Jr. is an a**hole. Or a scumbag. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I doubt it. They always seem to forgive or minimize this type of behavior as a stumble. See: Jim Bakker,  Gothard, Mars HIll/Mark Driscoll, Vision Forum/Doug Phillips I know all three are out now but they were given chances many times before they were finally ousted, or quietly let go to pasture. 

All of these fucking assholes have repeatedly been given mulligans by their fellow fundie Christians. Of that short list, Doug Phillips has perhaps fallen the farthest but he's hardly out of favor. Take a look at who all has him & Beall on their social media friends & followers lists. 

As for LU alumni, staff, and current students who are fretting over this latest revelation, if they didn't have any problems with Falwell Jr. before now, it's because they too were giving Falwell Jr multiple mulligans. Along with paying members of the NRA -- now revealed to be a bottomless pit of fraud & grift -- it will be interesting to see if various LU affiliates quit donating, attending, or supporting the "university." My guess is they won't -- as with VF, they came for the Christianity and stayed for the white supremacy, money, and political power. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Petronella said:

Jerry Falwell Jr shared (then deleted) a pic of himself and a female staffer with their pants unzipped. It’s bizarre.

He said hers were unzipped due to pregnancy and that he unzipped his in solidarity and that we shouldn’t worry about the drink in his hand because it’s just “black water” (???).

Hypocritical, oh yes. I bet a Liberty U student would get a serious reprimand for something like this.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jerry-falwell-jr-apology-unzipped-pic_n_5f2b0e2ec5b64d7a55ede1f8

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Jerry-Falwell-Jr-addresses-yacht-photos-but-15462105.php

I also appreciated this bit of commentary, which sidesteps the superficial hypocrisy to get at the much deeper one:

E79A066E-A99A-49A7-89E2-4E953D2C565F.jpeg

There are several of us here who went to Liberty.  I went in the early 90s which was much more restrictive than now.  But this wouldn’t be a reprimand, it would be expulsion for a student.

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My opinion: 

It is almost certainly it.  Too bad students watching Trailer Park Boys could be expulsion worthy too.  Literally any way he slices it he’s spitting in the face of the students who live under draconian rules.  I’ve talked about my time there on here before, and it’s certainly changed in almost 30 years (although not that much) but the rules are insane.  

I had a hall mate expelled when they tossed her room on a Sunday and found a vibrator.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 14
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, treemom said:

There are several of us here who went to Liberty.  I went in the early 90s which was much more restrictive than now.  But this wouldn’t be a reprimand, it would be expulsion for a student.

It is almost certainly it.  Too bad students watching Trailer Park Boys could be expulsion worthy too.  Literally any way he slices it he’s spitting in the face of the students who live under draconian rules.  I’ve talked about my time there on here before, and it’s certainly changed in almost 30 years (although not that much) but the rules are insane.  

I had a hall mate expelled when they tossed her room on a Sunday and found a vibrator.

Have an FJ fundies gone to Liberty?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Howl said:

• yacht
  • theme party on yacht

He is absolutely the grossest of the Falwell kids.  His dad wasn’t great, his homophobia probably killed kids, but he wasn’t gross like this And homophobic.  He lived a consistent life, and at least publicly followed all the rules the students did.

he will survive.  100%

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Have an FJ fundies gone to Liberty?

I don’t know, probably not since college for girls.  

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I think he was on a friend's yacht? The yacht doesn't really bother me, but I do think it's in poor taste to basically be mocking people living in trailer parks while on one. (Especially if you are president of a "Christian" university.) 

The biggest hypocrisy is that students can and have been expelled for wearing and doing the things he is doing in the photo. They cannot show that much skin, they cannot be touching opposite sex people they are not married to, and they cannot suggest they are drinking alcohol (even if it's part of a costume). If it were a student in that photo, they would at least be pulled into a disciplinary meeting, if not kicked out of Liberty. 

They would be kicked out.  Period.  I was in the most protected group there, which was the debate team, and this still would have led to being kicked out.  Maybe, maybe if you were in a protected group AND it wasn’t public, it would be just a disciplinary meeting.

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Last Sept, @turquoise posted a link to a Politico expose of Falwell Jr., an article that is no longer on Politico's website.  Just a wild guess -- Falwell Jr. and Liberty U threatened to sue Politico into oblivion for libel if they didn't take down the article, which had a LOT of damning material about Jerry Jr.  I doubt that any of it was untrue, but Liberty U is a huge financial juggernaut, and the crushing legal power they could bring down on Politico would have likely destroyed them.  Politico has covered the Falwells extensively over the years. 

Summary: Jerry Falwell, Jr. is an a**hole. Or a scumbag. 

which one is missing?  They have had several.  It is the pool boy one?

also he is both a scumbag and an asshole.  There is literally nothing redeeming about him.  And it’s not just because Falwell theology in general is toxic.  His father had redeeming qualities.  (I mean he sucked too and probably caused suicides of untold amounts of young adults)

Edited by treemom
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 1

This September 2019 article by Politico is a deep dive into the rat's nest of finances, real estate, and double-triple dealing going on at LU and with LU assets. There is also a 2017 article on the Miami flophouse owned by the Falwells.

Also, Rolling Stone published June 2019 article on the Pool Boy saga.

ETA: Also found a link to this 2018 article on the pool boy saga from Buzzfeed.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 15
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, forgetmenow said:

I was wrong. I am truly surprised. 

I think it was just another thing too soon. Honestly the football players leaving I suspect created some tension. They have always desperately wanted to be good at sportsball. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Didn't Carlin Bates graduate from Liberty?

yes, but online. Not sure she's ever been to the campus.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, treemom said:

He is absolutely the grossest of the Falwell kids.  His dad wasn’t great, his homophobia probably killed kids, but he wasn’t gross like this And homophobic.  He lived a consistent life, and at least publicly followed all the rules the students did.

Was there talk about what a POS he was in the 90s before he took over for his father?

This is like some weird Bush-Trump dichotomy where the latter manages to be such an unbelievable piece of shit he makes the former look okay. 

I'm not a fan of Jerry Falwell Sr. at all, but like you said he had the good sense to at least hide any hypocrisy from the public and conducted himself with some sense of dignity. He had some unhinged rants (I'm not forgetting that post-9/11 humdinger) but he delivered them in a fire and brimstone sermon style I could see appealing to his base.

Jr. on Twitter just comes off like some teenage troll lacking any of the gravitas I would think a college would want in its president. Does anyone remember the weird mask tweet from only two months ago where he posted a mask with the blackface photo of VA's governor on it and said it's the only mask he would wear? Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?

According to the Politico piece, two dozen Liberty staff allege Falwell would discuss his sex life at work in graphic detail and show off photos of his wife “in provocative and sexual poses.” There are rumors in Lynchburg that he has a drinking problem, and I could see this being a factor (while not denying what a total POS he is).

• Upvote 21

23 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

yes, but online. Not sure she's ever been to the campus.

But how can they enforce their ridiculous rules if you are only online?!?!

I am being a smart ass. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to enforce their rules on people who live 5,000 miles from campus. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

There are rumors in Lynchburg that he has a drinking problem

In the radio interview he did a couple of days ago, Falwell Jr sounds really drunk.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

36 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Was there talk about what a POS he was in the 90s before he took over for his father?

This is like some weird Bush-Trump dichotomy where the latter manages to be such an unbelievable piece of shit he makes the former look okay. 

I'm not a fan of Jerry Falwell Sr. at all, but like you said he had the good sense to at least hide any hypocrisy from the public and conducted himself with some sense of dignity. He had some unhinged rants (I'm not forgetting that post-9/11 humdinger) but he delivered them in a fire and brimstone sermon style I could see appealing to his base.

Jr. on Twitter just comes off like some teenage troll lacking any of the gravitas I would think a college would want in its president. Does anyone remember the weird mask tweet from only two months ago where he posted a mask with the blackface photo of VA's governor on it and said it's the only mask he would wear? Dude, what the hell is wrong with you?

According to the Politico piece, two dozen Liberty staff allege Falwell would discuss his sex life at work in graphic detail and show off photos of his wife “in provocative and sexual poses.” There are rumors in Lynchburg that he has a drinking problem, and I could see this being a factor (while not denying what a total POS he is).

So one thing I learned is I don’t like it when my real life and the internet collide, so I will not give specifics. But he is creepy. Was creepy then. Literally nothing would surprise me. Nothing. 

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am being a smart ass. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to enforce their rules on people who live 5,000 miles from campus. 

So some of the rules are more lenient right?  Do they have a draconian code of conduct? Yes. Is it much worse and expansive on campus, omg so much yes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 9

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They don’t. I did an M.Ed there online because it’s super cheap.  Online doesn’t ask for a statement of beliefs or have a code of conduct. Many of my classmates were either agnostic/atheist or another religion. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 16
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jerry Falwell Jr’s Zipper