IGNORED

Counting on Season 11: TLC Manufactured Drama While Waiting for Life Events

Coconut Flan

Just now, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

To be fair though, he is only a couple of months off 18, it's not like he has a year to go or something and due to covid, things are probably different. I think there will be another courtship announced soon too.

I agree. Cat’s out of the bag on Claritin. I’m calling a Christmas courtship for those two.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

Why does everyone think they have a problem with underage marriage? Jim Bob was 19 and Michelle 17 when they got married.....

Oh I think they’re perfectly fine with it, but they’re smart enough to know a lot of people think 17 is too young and will react negatively. They just have to wait a couple months to squash ‘but he’s a minor’ argument. 

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

Why does everyone think they have a problem with underage marriage? Jim Bob was 19 and Michelle 17 when they got married.....

And they also went to school, worked, used birth control and kissed before marriage too. I think JB and M are far more controlling than their folks were. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Oh I think they’re perfectly fine with it, but they’re smart enough to know a lot of people think 17 is too young and will react negatively. They just have to wait a couple months to squash ‘but he’s a minor’ argument. 

I looked it up on Google,  If I read it right, the legal age to marry in Arkansas is 17, with parent permission. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

If public opinion played into their parenting decisions,  Josh would be more important to “get” right. All they have to do is stress how well young marriage worked for them.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

And they also went to school, worked, used birth control and kissed before marriage too. I think JB and M are far more controlling than their folks were. 

Oh totally. But babies having babies is perfect for their quiver full beliefs. And the younger the couple getting married is, the more control JB&M will be able to try force on them afterwards. 

• Upvote 7

I think somehow, (maybe the photo of the two together back in January February?), they being in a pre-courting getting to know you phase has leaked or has been too much knowing even just in their circle and they have been forced to come out, a little bit like Ben and Jessa (or maybe I have read too much reading speculation and I'm too tired to connect well). Maybe they were struggling too much with unpure thoughts and they had to fast track the engagement? Like I could easily see a New Year announce of courtship from this two that has been fast-tracked by one of the other boys not being quite there already or struggling to maintain the relationship pure 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

And the Josiah-Marjorie teen courtship didn't turn out well.  Thank you Rufus.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

35 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

And the Josiah-Marjorie teen courtship didn't turn out well.  Thank you Rufus.

If I’m remembering correctly, Marj was 17 at that time. And now she’s still totally single. Thank goodness. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 2

While it probably was Marjorie (mostly her parents) who helped end that relationship, I find myself entertaining a different theory. Nothing but a theory. If Josiah was seen as a cult flight risk, as has been discussed here, he would have been easily influenced or at least viewed by his parents as easily influenced. Seeing as how Marjorie was 'frisky' for their kind of cult women it just may have been JB who stopped that relationship in order to save JB's ego/cult. Josiah could have fallen under the influence of Marjorie's family, followed her to college, move away, etc. JB would have no control and he can't have that happening. It is possible Marjorie and Josiah could have been a pretty good match, away from JB. 

Because the break up happened following Josh's crimes/behaviors becoming public (it seems) it is most likely that Marjorie/her parents halted the relationship. If they had not stopped the relationship I feel pretty sure JB would have.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I don't think the Duggars would see it as an image problem Justin courting at 17, probably with the caveat that he has to be 18 to get married. They'll bring up Michelle marrying at 17 (albeit with extenuating circumstances) and imply that really, they're being a little harsh making Justin wait.

I don't think we can say that Justin/Claire is public knowledge, since I'm sure it's only known in small intense Duggar watching/snark communities (as opposed to the majority of viewers who are more casual), but they/figure 8/tlc have probably been made aware we know and consider it likely that it will be leaked, hence announcing it asap in an episode.

I think as well, you're more likely to get the really young ones being willing to show a courtship on television even pre-engagement, because I do think at that younger teenage age you're less likely to be aware of how valuable privacy is, and to assume it will all go well - eg what we saw with Josiah and Majorie.

• Upvote 6

I can't believe there was episode on tonight and only a few comments. Used to be that it was hard to keep up on the evening when the episodes aired. Things are really boring, aren't they?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I can't believe there was episode on tonight and only a few comments. Used to be that it was hard to keep up on the evening when the episodes aired. Things are really boring, aren't they?

anyone up for a recap for all the non USA people please. I must admit I prefer recaps over watching it 

• I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I was pondering something recently: do you reckon they have meetings to story map new episodes? Do the producers say "hey, we need a good Jana storyline this season" and they come back with the idea of her starting a business? Similarly, if the show is in danger of cancellation (I'm not in the US so I don't know what the ratings are like), I wonder if there would be meetings about spicing things up/being more candid to save the show. I haven't seen the early seasons of CO (if anyone has youtube links I'd be grateful) but my understanding is that the Josh issues was addressed in the early episodes. To me, that shows that they are willing to talk about the juicy/uncomfortable stuff when they have to, and at that point they needed to draw in viewers to establish the new show.

I actually found it refreshing that they talked tonight about how breastfeeding can have challenges and the shift from having your first newborn (all the quiet and downtime) to later babies (when they're napping you're still running after a toddler+). But I'm a boring SAHM with a toddler and a baby so I am incredibly easy to entertain when it comes to things I can relate to.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

anyone up for a recap for all the non USA people please. I must admit I prefer recaps over watching it 

Basically the whole episode was Jana, John David and Abbie went to Tennessee, so that the rest could build a green house (minor drama of rain coming in so that they couldn't lay the concrete on the day they were planning and risk of breaking glass) to suprise her. Talk about Jana being happy to be single, 'she is one of the family rather than being the odd one out for not being in a couple'. In Tennessee she went to have her hair done with Abbie. Jana is also starting a business which she does not seem to have a well thought out plan for, because apart from it being for home decor, I couldn't describe to you what the business is. Lots of emphasis on her being the only daughter/girl to start a business.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8

At the risk of sound like a leg humper, I'm going on record and saying that watching them try to get a pic of the 5 baby girls was adorable! ?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I was pondering something recently: do you reckon they have meetings to story map new episodes? Do the producers say "hey, we need a good Jana storyline this season" and they come back with the idea of her starting a business? Similarly, if the show is in danger of cancellation (I'm not in the US so I don't know what the ratings are like), I wonder if there would be meetings about spicing things up/being more candid to save the show. I haven't seen the early seasons of CO (if anyone has youtube links I'd be grateful) but my understanding is that the Josh issues was addressed in the early episodes. To me, that shows that they are willing to talk about the juicy/uncomfortable stuff when they have to, and at that point they needed to draw in viewers to establish the new show.

Yes, they absolutely have meetings to plan storylines. I know someone who works as a writer/producer for reality TV. He doesn't work for TLC but has worked on at least one other Discovery network show many years ago. He writes dialogue and pitches storylines on the shows he's worked on. He says very little is actually organic and a lot is invented for TV. He's the worst to try to watch shows like The Bachelor with because he's able to predict the entire season from the editing being done. He's also said that there's a lot of true reality that doesn't get shown because it doesn't fit the storyline they want to show.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

I felt like watching Kendra talk about motherhood and breastfeeding etc - I felt like "how OLD are you and you are about to have three kids under three?" I assume she's thrilled to bits because as Jessa said - they all came from big families etc and are used to having babies around - but... three under three is enough to put anyone on the crazy train... and she's soooooo young. Contrast to Abby - who is older (in their standards), and has her first - getting advice from this BABY with 2.5 babies... just so jarring

• Upvote 14

I think this "secret" relationship has been going on for a while and quarantine helped hide it a bit more. Plus I don't even know if people are familiar with the youngest 3 Duggar boys. It's possible people might not recognize them right away while out in public. I seriously forgot  there is a Justin. Started watching the Duggars when Jackson was born. Don't know how I lost track of the boys. When will one of them ditch this courting nonsense? I can't believe this makes magazine covers. Has anyone noticed Yahoo has turned off the comments?

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

I think this "secret" relationship has been going on for a while and quarantine helped hide it a bit more. Plus I don't even know if people are familiar with the youngest 3 Duggar boys. It's possible people might not recognize them right away while out in public. I seriously forgot  there is a Justin. Started watching the Duggars when Jackson was born. Don't know how I lost track of the boys. When will one of them ditch this courting nonsense? I can't believe this makes magazine covers. Has anyone noticed Yahoo has turned off the comments?

Re: this courting nonsense - I ended up watching a few episodes of the Bates in a row and I just felt like … their parents involvement in their relationships seemed unhealthy. They were there when the guy asked the girl to be his girlfriend or whatever - ALL the parents. Sitting at another table - watching. 
And with the Duggars, policing how they touch, or sit next to each other or whatever - it's just … creepy.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I seriously forgot  there is a Justin.

I was constantly going "There's a Justin?" or "There's a Jason?"  And I just had to look up to find that there is a Jason.

They're interchangeable to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Flossie said:

I was constantly going "There's a Justin?" or "There's a Jason?"  And I just had to look up to find that there is a Jason.

They're interchangeable to me.

I never, ever remember Jason. I couldn’t pick him out of a line-up. Where does he fall in the line up? Between Joy and Jackson, I’m at a total loss.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic