IGNORED

Maxwell 41: Taking a Short Vest Rest

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, freejugar said:

Where can you find the corners in their website?

this https://titus2.com/corners/ doesn't work anymore

I just go to their main page on their web site and click on "Articles" on the bar towards the top of the page.

If you want to go straight to articles I think this link will work;

https://articles.titus2.com/

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 3

On 8/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, Hane said:

Teri practicing facial expressions in the mirror reminds me of certain exercises people on the autism spectrum are taught to do. I’m not saying she’s on the spectrum, but she may be disassociated from her true emotions. 

Not really into the diagnosing of strangers based on what's posted online, but: if I found out that Teri had an undiagnosed autism spectrum disorder, a lot of things about life in Maxhell would suddenly make a little more sense to me. I do have experience in the field, but am not qualified to diagnose or treat ASD.

This is honestly giving me something to stop and ponder. The Maxwells are so mind-numbingly dull that it's a rare treat for any aspect of their dreary lives to merit deeper contemplation.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

“God has been so gracious, and these past months have been very full and definitely had its challenges.”

Good god Sarah, either you don’t proof read or you have no ear for the English language. Why you feel called to be a “writer” is a mystery to me - if you’re the most literary of your siblings the others mustn’t be able to string the most basic of sentences together. 
And while on the topic of Sarah The Writer, how does it take her so long to write her extremely simplistic books? I honestly don’t see why she couldn’t churn out one a month. I know she “researches” every scene because she has absolutely zero imagination, but it’s not like they have exciting and diverse settings anyway. The fact that those books are each the result of an agonised year long writing process baffles me.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 6

On 8/2/2020 at 7:13 AM, lilith said:

It’s because they don’t call their other kids by first and middle names. It makes it sound really strange. 

I go by my first and middle name; I have since birth. All four of my siblings go by their first names only. There’s nothing strange about this. My first name is commonly used as the first in a double name, and both names honor two of my father’s favorite female relatives. 
Heck, even American Girl gave one of their dolls a very similar name to mine even though their other dolls use only one name. (They spelled it as one name though.)
I think that “Simon Peter” is not a commonly used double name in the US, and is extremely churchy sounding, so it feels odd to say. 

Edited by VVV
  • Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, VVV said:

I go by my first and middle name; I have since birth. All four of my siblings go by their first names only. There’s nothing strange about this. My first name is commonly used as the first in a double name, and both names honor two of my father’s favorite female relatives. 
Heck, even American Girl gave one of their dolls a very similar name to mine even though their other dolls use only one name. (They spelled it as one name though.)
I think that “Simon Peter” is not a commonly used double name in the US, and is extremely churchy sounding, so it feels odd to say. 

Yes, but it’s not a usual double name as yours seems to be  so there’s  no reason for his name use to be different, so to me it’s jarring.

Maryella Duggar doesn’t sound strange amongst her siblings, and neither did John David, whereas when the older girls tried to call Jordyn Jordyn-Grace it always sounded wrong. Some double names are commonly used as first names and we are used to them (Maryanne, Annabeth etc) but Simon Peter is unusual amongst his 5 very conventionally named siblings. RuthAnne works as a first name, Simon Peter not so much.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

1 minute ago, lilith said:

Yes, but it’s not a usual double name as yours seems to be  so there’s  no reason for his name use to be different, so to me it’s jarring.

Maryella Duggar doesn’t sound strange amongst her siblings, and neither did John David, whereas when the older girls tried to call Jordyn Jordyn-Grace it always sounded wrong. Some double names are commonly used as first names and we are used to them (Maryanne, Annabeth etc) but Simon Peter is unusual amongst his 5 very conventionally named siblings. RuthAnne works as a first name, Simon Peter not so much.

You’re agreeing with me. ? It isn’t because the other siblings don’t go by double names, it’s because his is weird.

• Upvote 8

On 8/5/2020 at 4:30 AM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

As I said before, they will not do that. They will trust God to open and close her womb. Nothing else is acceptable.

It's weird how inconsistent they are: seeking medical help including surgery and chemo is fine for cancer, but wombs are exclusively God's domain and must be left wholly to trust.  Actually, it's not weird, cos fundies are nothing if not consistently inconsistent :P

I wonder what Sarah's really doing with all her time.  Or is she so bad at writing that it takes her this long to churn out a mediocre children's book?  Considering how she writes for the blog, quite possibly.

Could she manage to afford to feed herself if she had to survive in the real world?

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

It's weird how inconsistent they are: seeking medical help including surgery and chemo is fine for cancer, but wombs are exclusively God's domain and must be left wholly to trust.  Actually, it's not weird, cos fundies are nothing if not consistently inconsistent :P

I wonder what Sarah's really doing with all her time.  Or is she so bad at writing that it takes her this long to churn out a mediocre children's book?  Considering how she writes for the blog, quite possibly.

Could she manage to afford to feed herself if she had to survive in the real world?

Sarah has been book keeping for Titus 2 and her brothers businesses for years. She’s probably good enough at it that she could support herself with it and book keeping can be a great, flexible option for working from home - it was my step back to employment when my kids were little and daycare for three would have cost more than I could have made. But I don’t know how Sarah would deal with marketing herself to small business owners or cultivating relationships with accountants and dealing with the huge variety of businesses and work places she would have to service. One of my first (and best) book keeping jobs was for a small sex toy importer. And you really can’t afford to be picky about the clients you take or accountants won’t send you work - there are thousands of mothers wanting to do book keeping from home. 
There is no way she could earn a living with her pen anywhere but in the fundie world.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

I had another Maxhell dream last night.  Chris hired me to homeschool his kids in a one room school house a la Little House on the Prairie because Anna was too sick.  Chelsy, John, and family moved to Iowa and into Marlin and Becky's basement.  Melanie confided to me Steve was not happy about it.  Jesse helped them move.  And after they left the rest of the family included the extended family went for a walk/run around the neighborhood and the unmarried girls wore the bridesmaid dresses from John and Chelsy's wedding while running.  Then they gathered in Steve's house for dinner.

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1

8 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I have a couple of theories on this (beyond the "she shares her mother's predisposition toward crippling depression" speculation.)

1: She has figured out that if she declares that she needs X amount of time to write, she'll get X amount of time, and she'll have some time alone with her own thoughts. Similar to a quote I ran across by Jenna Fischer from The Office, about a real office job she'd had - her boss would give her a job and allot a certain number of hours for her to get it done, and the truth was, she could (and would)  get it done in far less time, but she wouldn't turn it in until the deadline, so she had a lot of downtime.

But maybe that would ping Sarah's conscience because it would be dishonest or lazy or whatever, so my other theory is...

2: The schedule is the entire problem. Though discipline and butt-in-chair writing needs to happen, the creative process can't necessarily be broken into 15-minute blocks. If she gets stuck while she's writing, is she able to do what normal people do when they need a muse (play a game of Solitaire, get a snack, go for a walk) or does she just have to sit at the computer and "write" until the block of time is up? As strictly scheduled as these people are, and as much as time and food are controlled, I suspect it's the latter.

Edited by Bethy
capitalization
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

Not really into the diagnosing of strangers based on what's posted online, but: if I found out that Teri had an undiagnosed autism spectrum disorder, a lot of things about life in Maxhell would suddenly make a little more sense to me. I do have experience in the field, but am not qualified to diagnose or treat ASD.

This is honestly giving me something to stop and ponder. The Maxwells are so mind-numbingly dull that it's a rare treat for any aspect of their dreary lives to merit deeper contemplation.

While your theory could be realistic, Teri has been very open about her problem being depression and not liking being a mother. She wrote she was fed up of children BEFORE homeschooling them! 

It's unclear if she was depressive before motherhood or it was motherhood what depressed her. What is clear is that she was an intelligent young woman with a Chemistry degree who should have put her one (and only) son in daycare and came back to work. It would have avoided a lot of pain! She was damaged by extreme religious beliefs, and she hurt all her children. She's not compassionate, sweet or patient... She was not born to be a mom, or at least not a homeschooling mom of many.

• Upvote 26
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Yes, this! The way they keep referring to new mothers as being "in the trenches" like they're WW1 soldiers is revealing. Motherhood comes with significant body changes, the night wakes are physically challenging and it can be hard to feel yourself when all of a sudden you have become someone else's mum, and that someone else depends on you for survival 24/7. That's all true. And society at large doesn't do much in way of support - paternity leave is ridiculously short, little affordable day care, easy access to mental health care is lacking etc. True again. But! The sheer joy of holding a new, much wanted little life close outweighs all that for most of us, surely! The cuddles and the first smiles and those moments of pure perfection when they've just fallen asleep and you just have to stop and watch the peaceful little face instead of doing the gazillion house chores that need doing... That's not the trenches. That's heaven. And when they grow and start exploring and laughing and surprising you with how much they now understand it just gets better and better. 

(mine isn't a teenager yet, can you tell? Lol. I may yet change my mind...) 

• Upvote 21
  • Love 8

On 8/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, nausicaa said:

I practiced facial expressions during the worst of my depression because having a dead face with no responses tends to freak people out. 

I so wish Teri could have gotten some real help. 

I can't look in a mirror during really depressed times.   What I have perfected, though, is my resting bitch face.   People leave me alone but I sometimes scare the dog.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, mango_fandango said:

That thing about Sarah wanting to be a wife and mother has been there for years. It’s so depressing.

Someone could set her up with Tom Mills.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

14 hours ago, lilith said:

“God has been so gracious, and these past months have been very full and definitely had its challenges.”

Good god Sarah, either you don’t proof read or you have no ear for the English language. Why you feel called to be a “writer” is a mystery to me - if you’re the most literary of your siblings the others mustn’t be able to string the most basic of sentences together. 
And while on the topic of Sarah The Writer, how does it take her so long to write her extremely simplistic books? I honestly don’t see why she couldn’t churn out one a month. I know she “researches” every scene because she has absolutely zero imagination, but it’s not like they have exciting and diverse settings anyway. The fact that those books are each the result of an agonised year long writing process baffles me.

Honestly, I assume she doesn't enjoy writing....which is why Steve told her to do it. We know that if the children express any love of a hobby, it is taken away from them and replaced with something else.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Sarah claims in today's post that she "bookkeeping for several companies, help desk support for another one" but neglects to say those several companies are probably those owned by the family and the "help desk" is also for a family-owned company. See Freej? I do SO have a [does quote fingers] "career"

• Upvote 15

3 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Yes, this! The way they keep referring to new mothers as being "in the trenches" like they're WW1 soldiers is revealing. Motherhood comes with significant body changes, the night wakes are physically challenging and it can be hard to feel yourself when all of a sudden you have become someone else's mum, and that someone else depends on you for survival 24/7. That's all true. And society at large doesn't do much in way of support - paternity leave is ridiculously short, little affordable day care, easy access to mental health care is lacking etc. True again. But! The sheer joy of holding a new, much wanted little life close outweighs all that for most of us, surely! The cuddles and the first smiles and those moments of pure perfection when they've just fallen asleep and you just have to stop and watch the peaceful little face instead of doing the gazillion house chores that need doing... That's not the trenches. That's heaven. And when they grow and start exploring and laughing and surprising you with how much they now understand it just gets better and better. 

(mine isn't a teenager yet, can you tell? Lol. I may yet change my mind...) 

Personally, I despise - I mean, really despise - the thought/saying that motherhood is "in the trenches". You're not fighting a freaking war. You are raising a human being; one you chose to have, I might add. Motherhood is hard - parenthood is had - but it's not a war or a battle. Not for normal people, anyway. I guess in a way it makes sense fundies would see it as fighting in the trenches, because they are fighting every natural instinct of themselves and their childrend and "training" them to grow up be a member of the army of Jesus or some stupid thing. 

Whatever. I am honestly appalled by that phrase. To me, everything about it is wrong, and come from a place of bad parenting choices. 

• Upvote 21
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

How many companies are there in the family?

Swift Otter 

Communication Concepts? Or is that basically Titus 2?

Was there a day in the life of Sarah once? I remember Anna and Mary’s and the big build up to showing how so very busy they are - and it turned out they each worked around 60-90minutes each morning and afternoon. 3 hours of actual work tops. The rest was chores, babysitting (I’m not counting that as work) bible, exercise.

The three women are adults. They shouldn’t just be doing 3 hours of a proper job a day.  Busy? I say lazy - which seems strange to say for the Maxwells - but my point being none of them could cope with having to go out to work for a full 8-10 hour day that is heathens have to do. Or most likely did in our twenties and thirties at least.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

18 hours ago, lilith said:

I think she just doesn't like it. She has to force herself to write, she has admitted this in her "how to write the next great american novel" series.

I hate creative writing. If i had to write a children's book without a deadline, i'd push it as far as possible and I'd work on it for 15 minutes per day. 

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Granwych said:

Someone could set her up with Tom Mills.

Sarah really, really doesn't deserve that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 15

2 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

How many companies are there in the family?

Swift Otter 

Communication Concepts? Or is that basically Titus 2?

...The three women are adults. They shouldn’t just be doing 3 hours of a proper job a day.  Busy? I say lazy - which seems strange to say for the Maxwells - but my point being none of them could cope with having to go out to work for a full 8-10 hour day that is heathens have to do. Or most likely did in our twenties and thirties at least.

One brother still designs irrigation systems, though how many per year is not known.

They cannot go out to work for an "ungodly man." They cannot work for a Godly man if it would cause him to "stumble" and lust. Of course, Steve can approve these, can approve attending college if he thought it would benefit the family or their marriage prospects, too. Now, if say, whichever girl does the Bible study for at the Section 8 apartments, if she was going to make that into a full-time career, that too, could be bad. It would be making an idol out of working! She would spend too much time out from under the shelter of her father's great umbrella of protection. They must be kept dumb and docile in case they ever get a chance to marry. No one wants a strident harpy of a wife whining incessantly about getting out of the house and earning her own money or otherwise realizing her potential--even in ministry!

I do think ONE of them three girls MUST marry of Steve will really be shamed.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

One brother still designs irrigation systems, though how many per year is not known.

They cannot go out to work for an "ungodly man." They cannot work for a Godly man if it would cause him to "stumble" and lust. Of course, Steve can approve these, can approve attending college if he thought it would benefit the family or their marriage prospects, too. Now, if say, whichever girl does the Bible study for at the Section 8 apartments, if she was going to make that into a full-time career, that too, could be bad. It would be making an idol out of working! She would spend too much time out from under the shelter of her father's great umbrella of protection. They must be kept dumb and docile in case they ever get a chance to marry. No one wants a strident harpy of a wife whining incessantly about getting out of the house and earning her own money or otherwise realizing her potential--even in ministry!

I do think ONE of them three girls MUST marry of Steve will really be shamed.

I always thought Mary would marry, partly because she doesn’t seem quite as invested in the children of the extended families as Anna, partly because she was so beautiful so surely some GYM would brave Steve and say all the right things to win her. But her bloom is already coming off and the light in her eyes is gone, which is quite an achievement for Maxhell considering she isn’t even 25 yet. Maybe she’ll elope with an older brother of one of her bible club urchins.

Edited by lilith
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, lilith said:

I always thought Mary would marry, partly because she doesn’t seem quite as invested in the children of the extended families as Anna, partly because she was so beautiful so surely some GYM would brave Steve and say all the right things to win her. But her bloom is already coming off and the light in her eyes is gone, which is quite an achievement for Maxhell considering she isn’t even 25 yet. Maybe she’ll elope with an older brother of one of her bible club urchins.

You don't suppose (and I ask this with mostly snark, but possibly it's real) that they hold to some traditional eldest-sister-must-marry-first logic, and since it's become quite clear that they will never marry off Sarah, the others are doomed?

I mean, that was a pretty widely accepted rule in former generations, yes? And we know how much fundies like to live in the past...

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Foudeb said:

mine isn't a teenager yet, can you tell? Lol. I may yet change my mind...) 

Love your sentiments! And never fear; I’ve  found the teenage years to be some of the most amazing!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

22 hours ago, lilith said:

Why you feel called to be a “writer” is a mystery to me - if you’re the most literary of your siblings the others mustn’t be able to string the most basic of sentences together. 

My guess is that it’s not really a calling as much as the only “independent” thing she is allowed to do. She has to stay at home so what is there for her to do as an unmarried adult?

Also, writers don’t need an official qualification to work - unlike nurses, midwifes, etc. - so she can just call herself one easily. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

The Moody books aren't good writing and their content is definitely snarkable. However, I think they are still a "success." The Maxwells were right in the fact that their really isn't a lot of literature for really conservative families. There are some old books that definitely fit in their belief system- but not many with modern characters. I think they really do sell a lot of Sarah's books and she makes good money from them. 

The Moodys was a good idea- poorly executed- but still a commercial success

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic