IGNORED

Classically Abby: Conservative Wife in Denial

AmericanRose

On 9/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, Skyline said:

Did he just try to imply Andrew Neil was on the left? ?

Ben Shapiro , like a number of ideologues , seems to presume that if you are not altogether of like mind to him you must be on the left .  It's a black and white , us versus them mentality .  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

"In the absence of Superman, we are the warriors of truth, justice, and the American way."

Superman aka Clark Kent aka Kal-El is a literal illegal alien in the US  using forged papers. And he was an anti-fascist back in the day. Hardly the sort of image I'd expect  CA to want to put forward as a conservative hero.

• Upvote 9

So the advice isn't bad, and it's nice for men to be getting the advice this time, but damn. Abby seems to be attaching a lot of her identity to being conservative... and she also seems to hold them on a pedestal (which is kind of ironic, considering Trump is their leader).

5 Ways For MEN To Attract A CLASSIC And CONSERVATIVE Woman! || How to meet your future wife ?

Spoiler

1. Stop pursuing women who have totally different politics and values from you.
CA says values and politics generally go hand in hand, and that's why she brings up politics as well. She seems to think "liberals" attach as much of themselves to their politics as she does, and also that "liberals" don't value marriage. CA seems to conflate not-conservative with not wanting to get married, have kids, or live somewhere that's not a high-rise in a big city.
2. Develop yourself into an interesting and cultured person.
"Conservative, classic women are usually a very interesting group of women; they're really interested in history, they read a lot of books, they listen to good music, they follow the news, they are really interesting people."
3. Dress well and take care of your hair and facial hair.
Though CA says it's not about being fit, she also says: "being strong shows her you can protect her".
4. Get a job that has potential.
CA says conservative women and classic women know what they want, and they want a man who knows what he wants too. They're the kind of women who date with purpose.
5. Be a good listener.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Superman aka Clark Kent aka Kal-El is a literal illegal alien in the US  using forged papers. And he was an anti-fascist back in the day. Hardly the sort of image I'd expect  CA to want to put forward as a conservative hero.

In Red Son he was a communist ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

In Action Comics#900, published this past April, Superman also renounced his U.S. citizenship after being scolded by the president’s national security advisor for supporting the peaceful protesters in Tehran, contrary to U.S. policy. Our Man In Red Undies scoffed at the rebuke: “I’m tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy,” he said, and then proceeded to go on a political diatribe about the world being “too small” and “too connected” to be constrained by ideas of nationalism. Then, shocking Superman fans everywhere, the Man of Steel uttered the un-utterable: “Truth, justice and the American way is not enough anymore,” he said. Gasp!  While Superman’s spurning of his famous catchphrase sent some fans into an indignant rage, his political transformation has actually been a long time coming. In the first Superman flick back in 1978, Clark Kent told Lois Lane that he was fighting for “the American way,” and Lois laughed in his face—a clear nod to audiences who were less than thrilled with the direction America was taking at the time. In the 2006 movie Superman Returns, the movie’s screenwriters wrote the phrase “American way” out altogether, arguing that it “means something different than it did 50 years ago,” according to an interview with Comic Book Resources. In the movie, Perry White, the editor of The Daily Planet, asks Superman if he still believes in, you know, “truth, justice—and all that stuff.”

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28979/superman-democrat-politics-and-superheroes   

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-universe-decisions-revealed-dc-heroes-were-republicans-democrats-944939 

DC Universe: Decisions was a four-issue miniseries published in the run-up to the 2008 election, written by BillWillingham and Judd Winick, with art by Rick Leonardi and Howard Porter. The plot, such as it was, was slight — a killer targets each of the candidates in the primary races for both the Democratic and Republican parties, meaning that each candidate is given superheroic bodyguards to protect them — but the real appeal of the series was seeing favorite superheroes express their political opinions in a manner sure to upset at least half of their fan bases... Of the top-level DC characters, the Republicans came out on top, scoring two separate Green Lanterns, as well as Lois Lane and Wonder Woman. The Democrats, meanwhile, got the support of Batman and Green Arrow. The Flash and Superman went undeclared throughout the entire series — the speedster because of a joke that went viral, leaving him responsible for PR cleanup instead of sharing his opinion, while the Man of Steel purposefully kept his decision to himself, leading to a climactic speech where he explained his thinking. 

"It would be unconscionable of me to share [my endorsement] with you," he explained. "Whoever is elected to the highest office in the land should not think that they will not have our full support. That our allegiances are stronger with a defeated candidate. We don't take sides. The battles we fight are larger than those on the political spectrum. It would pain me to think the president would believe that he or she couldn't count on us, turn to us, or rely on us."

• Upvote 4

Who here wanted to learn how to live a more CONSERVATIVE life? No one? Okay!

5 PRACTICAL Tips To Live A More CONSERVATIVE Life || Practical advice to live out your values!
Per CA, a conservative life is a life lived with values, meaning and purpose, in service to god - and a life lived with community. Conservatives believe that life is about "real, fundamental values", and not just about living for money, success, or fleeting pleasures. They believe they should do things not because they're fun, but because they're right.
Liberals, of course, live for money, success, and fleeting pleasures. That's why there are no married liberals with kids. They have no morals or values they live by, and just do what feels good 'in the moment'. [This is me speaking, with massive sarcasm.]

Spoiler

1. Live close enough to family to spontaneously visit. In short, if you're not around the "right kinds of people" you could be steered in the wrong direction. CA clarifies this doesn't have to mean your parents, it could mean a sibling - just someone you trust that can give you good advice. This will prevent you from making decisions out of loneliness or confusion.
I guess CA doesn't think young adults will stay on the straight and narrow if they stray too far from their family's house. Also: what happens if your family happens to be liberal?

2. Only go to a college or move to a city that has a community that shares your values and/or your religion. If you don't, you'll stray because there's no one to support you, and then you'll start to feel alone, and "when people feel alone, they'll really do anything to evade that feeling". You also might feel pressured to change, because people will think you're different - or maybe even a bad person.
Apparently CA believes you need to surround yourself with people who think like you, lest you begin to think differently. Also, I wouldn't automatically write a conservative off as a bad person - provided they hasten to assure me they don't agree with Trump. I would let their behaviour and words speak for them. I'm also pretty sure that most American cities, especially the major ones, have a wide variety of communities and faiths represented.

3. Only buy clothing that really reflects what you believe. CA says if you wear clothes that don't reflect your values, people might not think you're as conservative as you are.
WTF? Why does she assign so much to what you're wearing?? I've never seen a woman wearing a full-coverage outfit and thought "oh, she must be a conservative", and I've never seen a woman wearing barely any clothing and thought "oh, she must be a liberal". IT'S JUST WHAT YOU HAPPEN TO BE WEARING.

4. Don't do any activity just to be social. CA doesn't think you have to be friends only with those who share your exact values, but if you're lonely, with other friends you might agree to go clubbing or do drugs.
Because conservatives never go clubbing, do drugs, or get drunk... that's good advice no matter WHO your friends are. Unless it's okay for you to go underage drinking with your conservative friends, because you share the same values? CA is really putting conservatives on a pedestal here - must be why she never says 'Republican'.

5. Recognise that marriage isn't just a nice thing, and actually take steps to make it happen. "Stop sleeping around, take marriage seriously, and take your life seriously."
This video is aimed at 18-23 year olds... but apparently you can't take it granted for that marriage will just happen for you 'down the line'. What is the marriage obsession? Is CA a typical example of an Orthodox Jewish woman?

I don't think she's actually met someone who was liberal or a-political.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

3. Only buy clothing that really reflects what you believe. CA says if you wear clothes that don't reflect your values, people might not think you're as conservative as you are.
WTF? Why does she assign so much to what you're wearing?? I've never seen a woman wearing a full-coverage outfit and thought "oh, she must be a conservative", and I've never seen a woman wearing barely any clothing and thought "oh, she must be a liberal". IT'S JUST WHAT YOU HAPPEN TO BE WEARING.

For example , here is Jessica Simpson , who  is a registered Republican .  

Spoiler

c0fd6e4dcd35b0eab76e50c4792c6792.jpg

And here is Mandy Moore , who is a Democrat .  

Spoiler

mandy-moore-on-the-set-of-home-family-in

So I doubt that someone could ascertain the political views of persons just by looking . Although if anyone wants to put it to the test .  

Spoiler

Spoiler

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/12/artificial-intelligence-republicans-democrats-quiz 

• Upvote 3

So per CA's latest vid (How To Accept What You REALLY Want! || Happiness isn't always what you have planned...), she spent 7 years studying opera. 2 weeks after she met her future husband, she went to sing at... I think she said Aspen Music Fest? and realised being an opera singer wasn't what would really make her happy. And thus, now we have Classically Abby.

She does say that not all women would want to be SAH's and that's fine, but... she is coming from a place of such immense privilege! Whether it was 4 years or 3, one year at the Manhattan School of Music (mentioned in her video) is $68K - living on campus ($52K off). She also spent 7 years pursuing this career, which she herself noted isn't too stable, and if she went directly into school at 18, leaves her finishing at 25, which is around the time she got married.

I just... wow. I always had the sense she was privileged - middle class or poorer folk don't tend to make "I'M PRO-LIFE!!" videos - but this just drives it home. $68K...

• Upvote 7

5 Ways To Be A Better Wife! || Treat your husband the way you would want to be treated ?
CA says she's also going to do a video about ways Husbands can be better for their wives. I think I would like her if she hadn't decided her personality was "married conservative".

Spoiler

1. Communicate. She uses the examples of a husband not noticing you wearing a new dress, getting a haircut, or giving the house an extra cleaning, which is totally not stereotyping at all. Her advice is to tell him what would make you happy (IE, "if you come home and notice the house is clean, give me a hug and thank me"), because he wants to make you happy. She also says not to let anger percolate, and don't let your emotions run away with you.
2. Respect your husband even if you disagree. "But it is very important for men to feel respected; that their wives respect everything about what they do and who they are and how they think." I guess women don't care? 
3. Show him love in the way he receives it, not the way you want to give it. This is based on the book "The 5 Love Languages", which CA loves. Weirdly enough, she mentions having made her whole family read it, but when she says "figuring out your husband's love language", she doesn't mention having your husband read it.
4. Always make your husband feel loved and respected when you're around other people. CA asks if you've ever been out with a couple and the wife is constantly poking fun at/complaining about her husband while he's right there. CA suggests you want to be the kind of wife an unmarried man looks at and hopes he can find someone who loves and respects him as much as you do your husband, and making your husband feel the same way you do when he makes you feel beautiful and loved.
5. Figure out the chores each of you likes and dislikes, and make it work. I'm shocked to hear CA washes the dishes and her husband takes out the trash.

Me clicking play: "Eh, can't be that bad."
Me at the end of the video: "I should count how many eye-rolls these videos receive."

I mean, the advice isn't bad, but how is it specific to husbands? Do women not value being respected? She could have made just one video... but I guess that would be too inclusive. If you put "spouse" in the title, LGBTQI+ might watch! She and MM do the same thing; the advice is gender-neutral, but they make it specific.

I'm interested in her video for the husbands, though I have a feeling it's going to focus on how to make your wife feel loved... and beautiful. ?

• Upvote 4

I did click on the latest "The Scoop" because of the 'big news!!!' title.

CA and her husband are moving back to Charlottesville, Virginia, from Omaha.

Maybe she's just a "type A" or something, but she does seem to think YT is her job.

She's reading The Righteous Mind, and between CA and MM, I'm kind of confused by SAHW's. 

CA says that although she might not have agreed with RBG, she found the friendship between RBG and Scalia inspiring and proof that you can be friends with people you don't agree with.

CA says she met Amy Coney Barrett a couple years ago, and she was a lovely woman. CA is looking forward to seeing what happens with the SC nomination.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5 Ways To Be A Better HUSBAND || Here's some marriage advice to make your wife HAPPIER!

Spoiler

1. Be constantly cleaning up after yourself and living in a more cleanly way.
Stereotype: Men are slobs and women are the housekeepers.
2. Listen to your wife's concerns without immediately arguing with them.
Stereotype: Women nag.
She tries to dance around what she's saying, but she also laughs and says she's done it.
3. Give your wife compliments randomly.
Stereotype: "In the way men need respect, women need love."
Also, CA gives a very detailed and strange example of a wife meeting a man who wants to flirt with her and thus gives her compliments, when her husband could be giving her those compliments instead. She hurries to assure us it wouldn't change the relationship, but women like to be flirted with, and it doesn't have to be from someone new.
4. Make the special occasions special.
Stereotype: Women make big deals out of holidays, whilst men would forget their mother's birthday.
5. Be kind to your in-laws.
I've always heard of a wife having problems with her MIL, but never a husband having problems with his ILs. Interesting!

CA says "bye" in a operatic voice that sounded really creepy.

So! Again, playing to stereotypes. I still can't imagine how being a better spouse can be gendered - it would have made more sense (+1 inclusive!) to compile a general list instead of making one for wives and one for husbands. If she really wanted the ad revenue, she could have done a 2 parter.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Abby was apparently a speaker at a "Conservatives are the Resistance" Zoom event.

Once you stop laughing at the thought, you might wonder what her qualifications are. Good question!
Abby is an opera singer, "conservative influencer", and the sister of Ben Shapiro.

As conservatives control the Senate and the presidency (for now...) I wonder what they're resisting?
Also... it's my understanding that influencers are there to promote an aspirational lifestyle. What exactly are we supposed to aspire to with Abby? Marriage and being a stay-at-home wife?
Influencers are also usually selling something. I've noticed Abby getting some sponsorships - I assume that was the end game to her aggressively advertising her channel.

Final thought: despite what Abby says, I've never seen anyone brand themselves as a 'liberal influencer'. Given that she seems to assume a whole lot about people based on their clothes, however, she probably just figures they are even if they never mention politics.

• Upvote 3

Abby has also just uploaded a video:
Celebrities Say They Want You To VOTE. They're LYING.

TLDR; celebrities don't want you to vote unless you're voting blue. 

There's some crazy assumptions going on in here. No one has told me who to vote for. Everywhere has instead been telling me to vote, and offering to help me find out how I can in my state. Good grief. How is this 'classic'?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

Abby has also just uploaded a video:
Celebrities Say They Want You To VOTE. They're LYING.

TLDR; celebrities don't want you to vote unless you're voting blue. 

There's some crazy assumptions going on in here. No one has told me who to vote for. Everywhere has instead been telling me to vote, and offering to help me find out how I can in my state. Good grief. How is this 'classic'?

Yeah that’s total bullshit. She’s trying way too hard to make liberals out to be bullies. When the man she’s voting for us an actual bully.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

@JermajestyDuggar Yep! Turns out despite her refusal to mention Trump (though she did share a screenshot of him during the last debate) she's just like the other Republicans who fall in line.

She's a smart woman - I have no doubt she watches Trump and cringes, wondering why her party can't find someone intelligent and, well, 'classy'... but she'll still hold her breath and vote for him.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Today Abby posted "Conservatives Are The NEW Resistance."

She's also offering to come to college campuses to speak. I suddenly understand the reason for the ad push over the summer.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2

• 3 weeks later...

Time to check in on Abby!

5 Sports Film Heroes A Conservative Girl Could CRUSH On ? || Add THESE movies to your list...
Abby loves sports movies - she thinks they're usually really good family films, and she loves their message - it doesn't matter who wins or loses, what matters is fair play. This is apparently a "super conservative" concept - that not everyone is going to come out on top, but everyone is given an "equal opportunity" to succeed. Apparently the best part of masculinity is "fighting with honour".
Abby disclaims that she doesn't mean liberals don't believe in hard work.

Spoiler

1. 61*. Lol, Abby says Mickey Mantle wasn't living a very conservative lifestyle and it ended up making him very ill. What makes it conservative: Bill Merris (not sure if I'm getting that name right) struggles being away from his family, and he wants to make it about the team instead of himself, which is a conservative idea... wait, what? If the community is more important than an individuals needs, why do conservatives refuse to wear masks??? 
2. Rocky. Per Abby, working your hardest doesn't mean you'll get rewarded, and that's a conservative message. So, is she aware of Trump's existence...?
3. Miracle. Abby loves how there's a love for America in this film. 
4. Cinderella Man. Am I weird in that I don't really consider sports to be "fighting", let alone something praise-worthy? I mean, they're not 'fighting' for anything except to win / get money.
5. Rudy. Abby says it's a conservative message that you have to put in the effort, and you can't just wait for things to come around.

Dear Ladies, It's GOOD To Act Like A LADY
"And now that I'm a conservative influencer" - umm. I have never before seen an influencer call themselves an influencer. Pretty sure if you have to say that's what you are, you're not it. Also, what are you influencing people to do? Dress modestly? Buy knickknacks? Get married young? Pretty sure influencers are supposed to be influencing people to buy things.
However many months since her ad blitz, Abby is finally going to tell us 5 things that make people classic, and how that ties in with conservatism.

Spoiler

1. Embracing your femininity. Dressing well, keeping a manicured look, keeping your home looking nice, being a good hostess, taking an interest in the small details (whether that be in your home or office), and loving the ways that women are different from men. Apparently this will tell others that they can trust you, and can trust that you'll be on top of your stuff. She also says men and women have different interests, strengths and weaknesses... which I'm pretty sure actually applies to all individuals. Or is she saying she could have married some other guy and would have been just as happy with him, because all men are the same?
2. Act Like a Lady. It's weird - I'm a liberal, and I rarely read Buzzfeed. What is with the conservative obsession with this website? But apparently they advocate for women to be slobs just hanging out on the couch watching Netflix and eating chocolate. Classic women shouldn't glorify those things. 
3. Treat Your Body With Respect. This means dating with purpose, and not sleeping around. Per Abby, Classic women date with purpose because they know they want to get married and they want to start their lives. Part of being classic is knowing you have value. PSA: You can start your life without being married. Or perhaps I've finally attained spinster age, and it's too late for me, therefore it's okay that I start planning my life without a man??
4. Have Your Priorities Straight. This means putting your faith and family before anything else. Apparently women are being told to put their career first - which is news to me. A Classic woman knows what's important. Abby says you should have a mission, whether that's being a SAHM or being out in the workforce - but you should know what's most important, which is being part of a family.
5. You Can Stay Home or Work. Abby says she's a proponent of both - her mother had a FT job and her dad stayed home. But what makes them classic is that they put their families first. 

Abby says if you think about these 5 things, they're inherently conservative concepts.

1. Being conservative means "recognizing reality", that there are differences between men and women.
2. Recognize that sex before marriage "really only has negative consequences".
3. Recognize the importance of marriage - it serves an important social function of creating strong family units for children to grow up in. 
4. Take responsibility for your actions. 

I'm sure it shocks no one that she says men wearing dresses "IS TRASH", and she's not fond of "dirty" holiday movies. Skipping that video, though I feel the last really drives home that she is definitely not for trans rights.

Get In Friends, We're Going HOLIDAY Shopping! || The Classic Girl's Gift Guide 2020

I'm just curious about how a "classic" woman's holiday shopping is any different than mine.
For women: lit vanity mirror, spa night kit, Classically Abby earrings she designed with Rachelyn, Kenzzi, set of pearls
Unisex: Sleeping eye mask, Bose headphones, weekend bag, robe, board games (Taboo, Above and Below, Scythe (apparently Scythe is for guys), sleeping headphones, watches, blue light glasses, bluetooth speaker
For Kids: Wizard of Oz book series

Mm. Seems pretty similar to the lists popping up everywhere. Also: everything is linked in the video description... and everything except about 3 items direct you to Amazon. Doesn't seem very classic to not support local business!

• Rufus Bless 4
  • I Agree 1

On 9/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, AmericanRose said:

That's why there are no married liberals with kids.

I see that CA never met my parents (3 children) or any of my married friends with children. Yes that's children plural.

And everything she writes about conservatives (except God might be changed to mankind for some of my friends) could be said about the way my parents raised us and the way my friends raised their children.  

Stupid smug woman.  No single political or religious group has a lock on values, morals, living a good life, service to mankind, doing what's right, getting married, having children, etc, etc, etc.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, AmericanRose said:

life lived with values, meaning and purpose, in service to god - and a life lived with community. Conservatives believe that life is about "real, fundamental values", and not just about living for money, success, or fleeting pleasures. They believe they should do things not because they're fun, but because they're right.

• Upvote 5

Thought this was about the lady who’s ads were all over YouTube over the summer. Did a quick search and yep, sure was! Dear God, she is insufferable. This is my take on it after managing to get through two minutes of a video. That was all I could handle. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Stupid smug woman.  No single political or religious group has a lock on values, morals, living a good life, service to mankind, doing what's right, getting married, having children, etc, etc, etc.

That's probably why she advocates for living in a bubble - that way you never have to meet a married liberal, a witch raising 5 kids, an atheist volunteering at a homeless shelter, etc.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I see that CA never met my parents (3 children) or any of my married friends with children. Yes that's children plural.

And everything she writes about conservatives (except God might be changed to mankind for some of my friends) could be said about the way my parents raised us and the way my friends raised their children.  

Here Abby is strawmanning what she imagines liberals are like , while concurrently ironmanning her own stated conservative position . { https://effectiviology.com/straw-man-arguments-recognize-counter-use/  ,  https://fs.blog/2020/05/bad-arguments/  } 

• Upvote 2

This is the woman who says, with a straight face, that thinking the community is more important than an individual's needs is a conservative idea..... whilst conservatives are the ones kicking up a fuss at their 'freedoms' being stolen because they're asked to wear masks and physically distance.
This is also the woman who says,  "it doesn't matter who wins or loses - what matters is fair play" - as her conservative president is entering his 3rd week of whinging and suing over an election he lost.

Abby loves strawmen. It's how she can convince herself that being conservative is right and superior.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 6

Oh geez. Abby has a sponsor - The Pearl Source.

Thanksgiving WILL Survive Covid. The Crown WOULDN'T Survive A Fact Check. || The Scoop #15

Spoiler

Well, on the bright side, she's not whinging about government interference. Even if you can't gather as you usually do, she recommends doing something turkey-themed and writing down what you're thankful for.
She's been reading "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell and "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt. Abby wants to be able to have a conversation with someone "from the other side" and see if she can convince them coming not from a place of "I think you're a bad person" but from "I can engage with and understand you, but here's an alternative viewpoint." Abby says it's more written for people on the left to understand the right.

Abby doesn't like how the show portrays Margaret Thatcher in a negative light, and that they apparently don't show context.

Weirdly enough, she advertised it as "Another Show That Hates Conservatives".

• Thank You 2