IGNORED

Crystal Paine "Burning Questions"

On the Moneysaving Mom site, Crystal and Jesse Paine did a blog episode where they answered self-described "burning questions". Crystal was my gateway fundie back in the 

Biblical Womanhood blog days, but she's come a long way since then.  It's interesting to me that people still want to know why she moved to Tennessee from Kansas and why

Jesse gave up his law practice. They addressed these questions, but totally deflected them. To answer the why did we move question, they just listed the things they liked about 

Tennessee: prettier, no wind, friendlier people, better weather. But these would seemingly be odd reasons to uproot three kids and move to a place where you had no family and didn't know anyone. Maybe it was like what Penny Lane said in the movie "Almost Famous" about going to Morocco: "I need a new crowd". 

For giving up Jesse's law practice, she just said they made enough money off the blog and their rental houses  so that financially they didn't need his income. 

Someone also asked them if they would accept another foster placement right now. Jesse said yes, but Crystal said not so fast. They just had a surprise baby, and their little

foster baby has medical challenges. But I am so impressed that they are foster parents.

I find the Paines endlessly fascinating, but it's not all snark from me. There are things about them I admire and their willingness to foster is one of them. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

Well, they are also making money off fostering...so that helps. 

A fb friend moved to Tennessee last fall.  They LOVE it.  So many outdoor recreation opportunities everywhere.  But giving up a law practice...that's huge.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Howl said:

But giving up a law practice...that's huge.  

Pretty sure that Jesse's KS solo law practice was not super-successful. This isn't surprising given his prior work experience in the office of the idiot fundie, Phill Kline. Neither Kline nor Jesse were the sharpest tools in the legal drawer. Leaving his law practice and working with Crystal on her growing and successful business were probably much more attractive options for Jesse. Can't remember what reason, if any, was given for moving from KS to TN.

Crystal has come a long way since her Biblical Womanhood days. I also give her credit for openly repudiating some of the more harmful stuff that she pushed. That's more than a number of her erstwhile buddies have done. A real tell, though, will be if any of their kids go to university, especially the daughters. 

• Upvote 7

She sent the kids to private school and giving up homeschooling is HUGE in that crowd. The oldest daughter is starting to drive so at least they are letting her get a driver's license. Oh! And that oldest daughter plays on a basketball team. Letting a daughter play school sports is also a significant departure from the fundie way of life. Aren't they supposed to be changing diapers and washing clothes? She's never said too much about the kids going to college or careers. The second daughter used to participate in ice skating and Crystal would post about it occasionally. But something apparently happened with that second daughter. She's a minor and it's none of my business, and Crystal carefully curates what we are allowed to know about her family. Which is totally her business. But that child might be the one to break free completely from the fundie way of life. 

I've always hoped that they moved to Tennessee maybe just to get away from their fundie families. I've just always suspected it was Jesse wanting to get away from his family. 

• Upvote 8

She's never said too much about the kids going to college or careers.

Somebody (or several somebodies) asked about the children going to college recently on one of Crystalʻs AMAs on her IG account. Crystal gave a non-answer, saying that they would be following God's will for their lives.  As much as Crystal shares about her family's lives on IG, she is pretty respectful of everyone's privacy, to her credit. 
  • Upvote 5

On 8/3/2020 at 2:48 AM, hoipolloi said:
On 8/3/2020 at 2:17 AM, starfish said:
She's never said too much about the kids going to college or careers.

Somebody (or several somebodies) asked about the children going to college recently on one of Crystalʻs AMAs on her IG account. Crystal gave a non-answer, saying that they would be following God's will for their lives.  As much as Crystal shares about her family's lives on IG, she is pretty respectful of everyone's privacy, to her credit. 

So how do you determine God's will in that instance? You pray whether you should go to college or not, and then mom and dad tell you whether God wants you to go?

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

So how do you determine God's will in that instance? You pray whether you should go to college or not, and then mom and dad tell you whether God wants you to go?

She didn't elaborate and probably won't. She has also said, via IG AMAs, that she won't discuss in detail things like higher education for her children, vaccinations, or politics. 

• Upvote 4

I've never seen her post anything about vaccinations. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:36 PM, clueliss said:

oish - Kline - lost his law license as I recall.

Last I heard, Kline was teaching law at.....wait for it.... Liberty University 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, Howl said:

Well, they are also making money off fostering...so that helps.   

I don't think too many people are 'making money' off of fostering kids. I'm not familiar with the Paine family, but the boarding rates are so low that you really have to flirt with neglect and have multiple foster children before you make money. 

Tennessee's daily board rate for a special circumstances foster is just under $28/day for kids under 11 and that is meant to cover housing, respite, food,  transportation, clothing, diapers, children’s allowance, and miscellaneous items. 

It happens, for sure. If you have a bigger house anyway, take multiple kids, and are a stickler for no extras, it can tip in your favor - but the 'extra' is still barely going to be lunch money (again, unless you cross over into actual neglect and breaking of rules). I'm going to be uncharacteristically optimistic and think that they're not making money off fostering the baby. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

My sister and BIL are foster parents and the stipend doesn’t even come close to covering my nephew’s needs. Not to mention the significant investment of time and effort that’s required of foster parents. I think the only way you can make money is by fostering a crap ton of kids and doing to bare minimum to be in compliance. 

• Upvote 9

The child they are fostering apparently has medical challenges. I know that sometimes means extra money but I too don't think they Paines are doing this for money. The Paines, with their multiple houses, just don't appear to need the $.  I know people do it for the money but it does not appear to be a factor in this situation (maybe I am naive. But I don't think that many fundies participate in fostering because they loathe the involvement with the State...all those mandatory vaccinations etc.) 

However, I am curious and wonder if anyone knows the answer to this question. If their foster child qualified for SSI, (social security disabilty) would the foster family receive the money?  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, starfish said:

The child they are fostering apparently has medical challenges. I know that sometimes means extra money but I too don't think they Paines are doing this for money. 

Don't think they are either -- they genuinely wanted to be a foster family and this placement seems to be working out well for all concerned. 

• Upvote 7

We fostered our youngest before they were able to be adopted. The money was nice, but it paid for nearly nothing.. It certainly couldn't be considered "making money".. If you're trying to raise a child, and you have to take money from the state to afford it, use the money as best you can and love the child.. If you're just taking the child to get the money, don't start it to begin with.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

As it happens, Crystal has just done an IG TV on why she didn't go to college & how they're approaching college for their kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, starfish said:

The child they are fostering apparently has medical challenges. I know that sometimes means extra money 

The $28/day I listed is for special circumstance kids. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, starfish said:

However, I am curious and wonder if anyone knows the answer to this question. If their foster child qualified for SSI, (social security disabilty) would the foster family receive the money?  

I've seen references to the effect that they would not, because they would instead receive federal foster care payments. I think that means via the Title IV-E program, but I've never seen a list or range of possible payments. 

Crystal mentioned that one of her brothers was going to Bob Jones U. this fall.  I don't know about BJU.....couldn't he at least

try for Patrick Henry college? 

Her little foster child is wearing a helmet and is getting hearing aids. Sounds like they are attentive to his medical needs. As long as the Paines don't go the "essential oils cure everything" route, I think they would be good at the medical needs of a foster child.

I wonder if they all have to get their vaccinations?  I think I read somewhere that, in order to foster a medically fragile child,

everyone in the house must get their vaccinations. That might just be wishful thinking on my part though. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, starfish said:

Crystal mentioned that one of her brothers was going to Bob Jones U. this fall.  I don't know about BJU.....couldn't he at least try for Patrick Henry college? 

Is PHC any better than BJU or LU, for that matter? Honestly, they all strike me as fake schools, maybe two steps up from Trump University, accreditations notwithstanding. Was there a point at which one of them was distinctly better than the others or, say, on a par with a school like Wheaten College?

IIRC, BJU almost lost its IRS status over its blatant racial discrimination. Like the Mormon church, they changed things PDQ, and retained the tax breaks.

10 hours ago, starfish said:

I wonder if they all have to get their vaccinations?  I think I read somewhere that, in order to foster a medically fragile child, everyone in the house must get their vaccinations.

IIRC, she said that the foster care program requires them to follow medical protocols, including vaccinations. So, I'd guess that vaccinations are happening but essential oils are not, or at least not happening with their foster child.

Edited by hoipolloi
Correction & adding info
  • Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Is PHC any better than BJU or LU, for that matter? Honestly, they all strike me as fake schools, maybe two steps up from Trump University, accreditations notwithstanding. Was there a point at which one of them was distinctly better than the others or, say, on a part with a school like Wheaten College?

IIRC, BJU almost lost its IRS status over its blatant racial discrimination. Like the Mormon church, they changed things PDQ, and retained the tax breaks.

IIRC, she said that the foster care program requires them to follow medical protocols, including vaccinations. So, I'd guess that vaccinations are happening but essential oils are not, or at least not happening with their foster child.

I guess Bob Jones strikes me as the weirdest, mostly because I thought BJU didn't even have a basic accreditation.

When I was traveling in Virginia or around those parts, I saw some young women wearing shirts that said "Patrick Henry

Girls Soccer".  (I think that was the sport). Glad they let the young women play sports at all, but I'm pretty sure that's the only

college that refers to it as a "Girl's" sport not a "women's" sport. Liberty U strikes me as the most mainstream. It pains me to say

that since ole Phill Kline teaches at their law school.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/19/2020 at 10:10 PM, hoipolloi said:

As it happens, Crystal has just done an IG TV on why she didn't go to college & how they're approaching college for their kids.

For those of you who didn't listen- Crystal is fine with college but wouldn't encourage it "just because", it should be for a specific purpose. Their second daughter is looking to become an exotic vet and go to college, other kids are not sure.

I used to read Crystal's old blog "Biblical Womanhood Online" and boy has she come far! I don't think Crystal could really be classed as fundie anymore, more a typical conservative Christian.

• Upvote 7

On 8/31/2020 at 2:40 PM, LilaMae said:

I used to read Crystal's old blog "Biblical Womanhood Online" and boy has she come far! I don't think Crystal could really be classed as fundie anymore, more a typical conservative Christian.

And another one that has not breathed a whisper about the changes that brought her to this new place?  Or has she discussed that?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Howl said:

And another one that has not breathed a whisper about the changes that brought her to this new place?  Or has she discussed that?

To give her credit, she is actually one of the few, former ultra fundies who has addressed this publicly. She started a podcast series a year or two ago in which at least one episode, done with Jesse, goes into those changes. The first podcast and this episode go into their courtship and early marriage, when she had the Biblical Womanhood website.

I suspect the Paines are still pretty fundie -- e.g., I'd bet good money that they both voted for tRump in 2016 along with many other white talibangelicals and probably will do so again, although Crystal would never say so.

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2020 at 1:39 PM, Howl said:

A fb friend moved to Tennessee last fall.  They LOVE it. 

Yes, also have a friend who moved to Tennessee; they are in the woods every weekend and also love it.  Their city has a river, so they also paddle about. 

29 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

To give her credit, she is actually one of the few, former ultra fundies who has addressed this publicly.

Damn, any insights kinds of changes are appreciated. That people who originally bought into full-scale fundy-dom are capable of self evaluation and insight is great.  Maybe they needed the distance from family/friends/church to make those changes and that is part of the move to Tennessee?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Howl said:

Maybe they needed the distance from family/friends/church to make those changes and that is part of the move to Tennessee?

That was one of the speculations when they made the move. AFAIK, they don't have any family or longtime friends in the area. Nonetheless, they seem to have made a good life for themselves.

• Upvote 4