IGNORED

Business Casaulities from COVID19

47of74

Disneyland is ending the annual passports

I think this fits here because Disneyland is doing this to reduce crowds when they can eventually reopen. This probably wouldn't have been done if it weren't for the pandemic as this made Disneyland affordable to so many people, as the passes paid for themselves if you went for an afternoon once a month or so. Those who bought those passes will be getting refunds.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Disneyland is ending the annual passports

I think this fits here because Disneyland is doing this to reduce crowds when they can eventually reopen. This probably wouldn't have been done if it weren't for the pandemic as this made Disneyland affordable to so many people, as the passes paid for themselves if you went for an afternoon once a month or so. Those who bought those passes will be getting refunds.

When my sister and brother in law lived in the Orlando area they had an annual pass for Disney World and headed over on a fairly regular basis as the town they lived in -  Davenport - was fairly close to Disney World.  I sure got my steps in the one time I went to see them and we went over there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 47of74 said:

When my sister and brother in law lived in the Orlando area they had an annual pass for Disney World and headed over on a fairly regular basis as the town they lived in -  Davenport - was fairly close to Disney World.  I sure got my steps in the one time I went to see them and we went over there.

It looks like for now they're just doing away with them for Disneyland in Anaheim - which makes sense as it is only two parks plus Downtown Disney and in a much smaller location. Walt Disney World - 4 parks, Downtown Disney, two water parks, countless resorts, multiple golf courses, sports complex, etc - is so big space-wise (and hasn't been closed the whole time) that hopefully they'll be able to keep them going. 

When we were going to Walt Disney World annually, we'd get an annual pass for the first trip, then schedule the second trip a week or two earlier the next year. It saved a lot of money that way! If money was no object I would never be without an annual pass there - I live an 8+ hour drive away, but when I last had an annual pass my sisters and I went on impromptu trips there a few times. Once she texted me at 1pm on a Friday and by 4pm we were on the road! 

We have long been planning to go back in 2021 - it's the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. Maybe next December or so we'll get there. I have no desire to go until we, and at least a majority of other people, are vaccinated. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another Dyersville restaurant is closing due to the pandemic.

Another Dyersville eatery will close its doors permanently.

Joe's 2nd St. Diner, 131 Second St. NE, will close after Feb. 14, according to an online announcement posted this morning.  The diner would have celebrated its 11th anniversary on March 1. 

The post by diner owner Joseph Menge cited business struggles such as the impact of COVID-19 as the reason for the closure. 

• Sad 3

Well, in some better news, the local Caribbean restaurant I mentioned in a post upthread is reopening.   They temporarily closed back in October and things weren't looking good for them.   But with dine-in being phased back in IL,  they announced they will be reopening sometime next month, albeit with reduced hours and menu but hey, I will take it!    ???

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

• 3 months later...

We stopped by a favorite pub after our walk yesterday and decided to eat inside since it wasn’t busy.  The owner came over to talk with us, and he teared up describing how supportive his customers were, ordering heaps of takeout and willing to be served outdoors even during inclement weather.  We are so glad he made it through the pandemic, and said we’d be by on a regular basis.  A lot of his friends’ businesses had to close, but he’s starting to feel optimistic again. ? 

• Love 5

The cafe around the corner from my work was fortunate in that construction work continued through lockdown here. The owner was talking to me about one of his friends who had to close four cafes, all at University sites, and who is basically back to starting from scratch. He was planning to retire, but now will be working until he drops (his words).  Locally we had two fast food places close (which surprised me), and the suburb next door the fruit shop and the butcher both closed.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Going in to work on site for the first time since... May? These shut downs are starting to blur. So many new empty shops on the route that were still barely hanging on the last time I came by. Travel, clothing, food, it's across the board. And no one wants to lease right now because things are so unstable. I hope at least some are continuing the business from home or online or somehow, but I think a lot are just gone.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Iowa’s longest running professional theater company closed down due to the pandemic. 

The Old Creamery Theatre has announced its permanent closure after the pandemic put insurmountable pressures on Iowa's longest running professional theatre company, which has been open for 50 years. 

In a letter written to the public, the theatre's Board of Directors explained that after temporarily closing due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March of 2020, they attempted a partial re-opening in the fall of 2021 with roadshows and hoped for a regular season of shows in 2022. While the roadshows were a success, they were not enough to overcome the financial impact that the closure had along with normal expenses.

The theatre says they were able to get some federal funding, but it came too late for them to be able to stay open. 

The Old Creamery Theatre started in 1971 in a former Co-Op Dairy building in Garrison, and has grown to offer six Main Stage shows a year. Each show would run for up to five weeks, and in 2007 they added productions for young audiences. They even put on shows at local schools and had a summer camp: Camp Creamery.

• Sad 3