IGNORED

Hurricane and Atlantic storm watch 2020

Italiangirl

@wallysmommy I seem to recall that you live near or that you could still be affected by Laura's rain? How is the situation where you live? 2020 has really decided to go big for the entire year...looking back at February/March seems like a whole different world 

• Upvote 2

From NHC´s twitter: Hurricane #Laura Advisory 26A: Laura Strengthens Into a Major Hurricane. Potentially Catastrophic Storm Surge, Extreme Winds, and Flash Flooding Expected Along the Northwest Gulf Coast Tonight

The situation is really scary if it keeps this rate Laura could strength in to a high cat4 or week cat5 before making landfal ??

• Upvote 2

Laura is now a cat 4 with winds up to 145 mph a Vat 5 start at 156 so...better move out it seems that someone is pissed of. 

At least to my understanding is now not forecast to hit any major city like Houston or New Orleans 

• Upvote 2

Lake Charles, LA is a city of almost 80,000 and has major chemical plants and refineries. At least one plant was burning in the wake of the hurricane. Port Arthur, on the Texas coast between Houston and the Louisiana border, is the same, and chemical plants releasing huge amounts of polluting smoke prior to Laura coming ashore.  There is mega flooding, rice farmers are hurting; devastation everywhere. 

I totally missed that a tropical storm just came ashore between New Orleans and Alabama. 

There's something brewing in the Caribbean, with an 80% chance of development. It looks to be on roughly the same track as Laura, but too far out in time and distance to tell. 

Also important to remember the devastation from the Iowa derecho, which was likened to an inland hurricane. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just have a look after a couple of days and woha what the hell is happening? There are, a hurricane (lucky far from land for now), a tropical storm schedule to become a hurricane by tomorrow at max, a tropical storm and a tropical depression that is still near Africa, plus at least a couple of week disturbance and one that has a high potential to become a depression. All in a five-day range. 

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

We're up to 5 named storms at the same time in the Atlantic: 2 hurricanes (Paulette and Sally), 2 tropical storms (Teddy and Vicky) and one tropical depression, downgraded from tropical storm (Rene). To only have one name left on the list by the middle of September is insane. Luckily, the overall intensity and landfall rates have been far lower than they could be given the number of storms. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

The numbers look bad but only one major hurricane And most systems staying out to sea, staying depressions or fizzling out we could be a very much worse  position. 

• Upvote 1

The first batch of photos of the damage caused by Sally are starting to arrive. Sadly this is just the wind and giving how slow is moving there are many areas at risk of major flooding

• Thank You 5

This storm has moved so slowly. We've only gotten outer bands as it passed south of us, then west of us, but it started raining on Saturday and was still raining last night. Saturday, Monday and Tuesday were only off and on as bands came through, but getting rain from the same hurricane for 4 straight days is not normal. 

• Upvote 3

With the formation of Wilfred, we have officially used the entire 2020 Atlantic Hurricane names list. On September 18 ?

Tropical Depression 22 is expected to become Tropical Storm Alpha today or tomorrow. I'm hoping it stays to the western side of the Gulf, because this side doesn't need any more rain.

• Rufus Bless 2

Just kidding. TD22 will likely become Beta, because Alpha formed off the coast of Portugal (?!) this afternoon. I guess 2020 is really going all out in terms of number of storms. Let's hope they stay week and far from land.

• Upvote 2

Beta could now reach Hurricane strength by Monday even if it should be short time. 2020 is really doing a great work 

This is only the second time that the National Hurricane Center has assigned the name Beta to a tropical cyclone. The first time that the agency used the name was in 2005 and even then, they did not assign the name until 27 October. Beta has also broken the record for the earliest recorded instance in which a season's twenty-third named cyclone has formed, beating out Alpha from 2005, which reached tropical storm strength on 22 October.

The National Weather Service has issued a Storm Surge Watch for portions of the Texas coastline from Port Mansfield to High Island. This watch includes Baffin Bay, Corpus Christi Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, and Galveston Bay. The possibility for life-threatening coastal and inland inundation from rising sea waters exists within this region within the next 48 hours.

The National Weather Service has issued a Hurricane Watch for portions of the Texas coastline from Port Mansfield to High Island. Hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area. A Hurricane Watch is typically issued within 48 hours of the first anticipated occurrence of tropical storm-force winds. Such conditions will make it very difficult and potentially dangerous to complete outside preparations.

The National Weather Service has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for portions of the Gulf Coast from the mouth of the Rio Grande to Port Aransas, Texas and from High Island, Texas to Morgan City, Louisiana. Tropical storm conditions are possible within this area within the next 48 hours

• Thank You 2

• 3 weeks later...

It seems 2020 has decided to be sure to be a year to remember, in ~24h we have gone from a new nominated storm to a Cat 4 hurricane and there is still around the same time before it made landfall. Delta is the new Wilma apparently. I wonder if after this year there will be some changes in rules about hurricane names and alphabet? If I remember correctly (a hard thing to do with a migraine that doesn't want to leave) the Greek letter doesn't change or better the name of the Greek storm are the same every time, so alpha is always aloha even if there has been a year like this with a big hurricane already named Alpha... I guess is easier this way to confront different year's since is not an every year thing to arrive at Delta in October many years don't even get past Alpha 

It's only the second time they've hit the 'backup list' - the first being 2005. 

• Thank You 1

Greek letters are not retired, because it would be possible to eventually run out of letters (like if we were to retire the entire letter A instead of just the name Andrew, we would likely be out of letters by now). But a Greek letter hurricane name can be added to the list of retired storms as Greek letter + year (so Delta 2020) to recognize storms that otherwise would have been retired. 

As a Floridian I shouldn't complain, as we've been largely spared this year, but poor Louisiana is getting hit again and again. And the Yucatan peninsula just had Gamma come through a few days ago, and now they're going to get walloped by Delta. 

Found this photo on Twitter that give an idea of the damage the area hit by Laura earlier in the season has still to recover, and they are forecast to be hit by another hurricane which strength when it will make landfall is yet to be clear! Screenshot_20201008-085250_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4f6745ef839fbbf0868bdb682f5e462f.jpg20201008_085220.thumb.jpg.bc3d8e156487893fe8d0234082dd07f6.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 4

A mobile radar unit is headed from U of Oklahoma to Lake Charles, LA (I seem to recall the radar there was wiped out/damaged during Laura)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

Hurricane Eta, now down graded to a tropical storm, is  pounding central and northern Florida.  High winds and lots and lots of rain.  It's freaking NOVEMBER!

It occurred to me that winter Floridians, who were at home in Wisconsin or upstate New York or wherever during hurricane season, are now getting a taste of what it's like.  I hope they are prepared and have flood insurance/renter's insurance. 

(disclaimer: I've only been in Florida one time, so this is speculation)