IGNORED

Hurricane and Atlantic storm watch 2020

Italiangirl

Hi, everybody, I notice that we still missing a general thread about the hurricane season and since I saw Hanna had made landfall on Texas I think it could have been time to create a new one for 2020 since it seems the season has decided to start big since July. Hope everybody is safe and you will appreciate this thread.

• Upvote 12

Aw, a person after my own heart!  At the beginning of the summer I bookmark two websites. 

I live in Central Texas with family relatively near the Gulf Coast and we like to visit NM and SW Colorado sometime in the summer (but not this year).  We cancelled our trip, which would have been last week because of corona virus.  So, forest fires and hurricanes! 

Hurricane Hanna has hit The Valley hard.  The Valley is where the Rio Grande meanders along towards and then meets the Gulf of Mexico. It's incredibly flat. It floods. The population is heavily Hispanic with endemic poverty, obesity, diabetes and now, rates of Covid 19 that have already broken the existing hospital system.  People evacuating to stay with extended family or in shelters will inevitably spread it, compounding the disaster. 

This is the area where hospitals were sending patients home to die because they simply have no resources to treat the sickest patients. 

As one talking head put it, it's a disaster within a disaster. 

Gov. Ron DeSantis better be praying that a hurricane doesn't hit Miami in the middle of this damned epidemic. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 7

I have used an AccuWeather tracker previously (I think last year also) for tracking storms around the Atlantic, but I'm open to suggestions if you have other trackers. How are for now the forecast for Hanna? I see that there is a major one that should arrive to is about to hit Hawaii, it seems that 2020 is set to be a very active season 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Howl said:

Gov. Ron DeSantis better be praying that a hurricane doesn't hit Miami in the middle of this damned epidemic. 

Welp, Invest 92 is looking very healthy...both Atlantic and eastern Gulf Coasts should be concerned.

I’m also a big fan of Mike’s Weather Page...Drunk Donkey Nation!

https://spaghettimodels.com

• Upvote 3

And now Isaias has formed...for now is classified as a tropical storm, but still is forecast as dangerous for the island of Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. The scary thing is that we are only in July and normally August and September are the busiest months...someone now what has been the most number of named storm? And in which year? Cause I was thinking we already have an I storm and I don't know it makes me scary 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

And now Isaias has formed...for now is classified as a tropical storm, but still is forecast as dangerous for the island of Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. The scary thing is that we are only in July and normally August and September are the busiest months...someone now what has been the most number of named storm? And in which year? Cause I was thinking we already have an I storm and I don't know it makes me scary 

2005 had the most number of named storms, at least for an Atlantic hurricane season. We had 27 storms that year and 31 overall cyclones recorded. We went into the Greek alphabet in January’ of 2006 with tropical storm Zeta. We also had 4 cat 5 hurricanes, with 3 of them being back to back - Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. I'm dreading any Hurricane that goes past cat 2 this year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

On 7/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, Howl said:

Florida is about to wake up to a nightmare of epic proportions because the hurricane season is already impacting covid testing during the state's pandemic crisis. Solution: close some testing sites when numbers of the contagion are at record levels and tests are in short supply. Florida's self-assured political leaders who believe covid isn't a serious threat are probably relieved that temporary state test site closures will at least bring down the number of positive tests for the books. 

https://floridadisaster.org/news-media/news/20200729-all-state-supported-testing-sites-temporarily-close-for-potential-tropical-cyclone-nine/

I have a sinking feeling that Florida is about to become very familiar with mother nature's wrath on many levels of existence. It's total cluster f*ckery in the Sunshine State. It never ceases to amaze me that people who can launch a rover robot to another planet can't figure out how to prevent the spread a serious contagion.

Edited by JazzyFresh
attempt to correctly add news link
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

Isais' projected track has moved slightly east, but even if it continues to move east, Florida will still get drenched. 

As with TX, people evacuating anywhere increases the chances for COVID 19 to spread, especially to shelters or with other family households. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

These have been tropical storms which are bad enough but you get a cat 2 or higher Hurricane hit Galveston or New York or New Orleans Social distancing will not be possible in a crowded shelter. Unless they force evacuation It’s going to be a choice: stay home and risk the storm or go into a shelter and risk infection. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Unless they force evacuation It’s going to be a choice: stay home and risk the storm or go into a shelter and risk infection. 

What a crap and sad choice. I feel for you all, having to deal even just with the fear of a theoretical situation. 

For how this 2020 is going I fear very much we have the possibility to see something big, unfortunately. I can't decide if it will be a big heart quake somewhere (since even the land want to shake 2020) a big volcano eruption or a Major Hurricane double by COVID, and we are only at the end of July, what do you have on your bingo card for August? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

Welp, I see that now Isaia has been upgraded to Hurricane when yesterday was supposed to remain a tropical storm all the time...stay safe everyone 

• Love 3

Hurricane Isaias is likely to make landfall anywhere along the east coast of Florida and then ride the Atlantic coast.  He could also has plenty of time to strengthen into at least at CAT 2 or greater.  He could also make landfall multiple times along the Atlantic coast.  A hurricane like that during a pandemic is a recipe for a disaster.   People along the east coast of Florida need to take this seriously and act now.  People along the rest of the Atlantic coast need to be monitoring this situation closely as well.

Here is the latest track:

215355_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Thank You 6

Hey everybody how is going with Isaias? I saw that now is back to a tropical storm, I hope that everyone is safe. Post as soon as you can 

• Upvote 2

DC area is under a tropical storm and flash flood watch from Monday night until Wednesday morning, with 3-6 inches of rain predicted.  That's a lot of water, but better tropical storm winds than hurricane winds.

Glad I went shopping last week, unpleasant as it was.  I expect the grocery stores to get very busy tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Another great website is Tropical Tidbits. The site owner Levi Cowan has a Ph.D in meteorology; it's a great place to see a compilation of various forecast models, and when there is tropical activity happening, he does nightly videos where he explains what the models are predicting and why. 

• Thank You 3
  • Love 1

I hope everyone is staying safe and are careful. I am really not laughing at the situation. But hearing French Canadian news reporters trying to say Isaias is hilarious.  Ie-zay-yas, Ee-za-ee-ah, Eh-sa-ee-as. ? Not an easy pronunciation for French-speakers.

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks that 2020 has decided to do stuff with a unicum way once again, they're now 2 tropical storms (Laura and Marco) set to hit basically the same area at the same time, basically, the entire Gulf of Mexico is under an alert or a watch thanks to them. This will be only the third time that two storms are set to arrive at the same time in approximately the same area, "It is rare for there to be two tropical storms in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time. According to NOAA records, this has only been recorded twice before: June 18, 1959, and Sept. 5, 1933". Soooo how to have a year to be remembered 2020 is doing it very well 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 10

Hello! your Emcee Here  MA  FU Nature

Welcome to the 2nd half of 2020 folks! If thought the first half was exciting then wait till you see what we have in store for you now!  We got Hurricanes, we got Locusts!

And Remember For all your Book of Revelations need, Look no further Than our gift shop as well. 

• Haha 2

It now looks like Marco and Laura will hit the U.S. Gulf Coast and probably within 24 hours of each other.  I don't know if anything like this has happened before...2 hurricanes hitting the same state within that short period of time.  This could be very bad.  Here's the latest forecast:

Marco:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/215504.shtml?cone#contents

Laura:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/234740.shtml?cone#contents

Everybody, please take this seriously.  Two landfalling hurricanes within 24 hours that close together during a pandemic could be catastrophic.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Yikes, scary to think that they could feed each other and become a giant one, here hoping that it doesn't happen by with how 2020 has gone till now...

I will keep a close eye on this and hoping for the best. Stay safe everyone 

• Upvote 3

Scary flooding in the Dominican Republic from Laura...and it still has to strength before landing in the Us!! ??

And Marco is now officially a cat 1 hurricane! Stay safe people next few days are gonna be wild 

Edited by Italiangirl
Put some info about Marco too
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

Laura is now officially a Hurricane and various models put the landfall around a cat3 so a mayor, and since it will be massive it seems that could hit both Houston and New Orleans. I saw in another forum that there are already some mandatory evacuation orders in the area. Stay safe everyone and buckle up it seems it will be one kind of a week for many of you down there 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Hurricane Laura to strengthen to Category 4 storm, head for Louisiana/Texas line, forecasters say

Hurricane Laura is expected to rapidly strengthen into a Category 4 storm before landfall near the Louisiana/Texas line, forecasters said Wednesday morning.

Landfall is anticipated late Wednesday or early Thursday. The storm is expected to push a dangerous storm surge - up to 15 feet in some places - along with strong winds and rain.

Laura strengthened overnight into a large, "formidable" storm, the National Hurricane Center said.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_73b526fc-e785-11ea-957f-e72a1cbf9a5e.html

I hope everyone stays safe during landfall of this deadly storm. She is looking very well organized this morning. 

• Upvote 3