IGNORED

Olivia de Havilland has died

47of74

Another golden age actress has gone on to the big studio in the sky

Olivia de Havilland, a two-time Oscar winner and for decades the last surviving star of "Gone With the Wind," has died at age of 104, her publicist Lisa Goldberg told CNN.

The actress died July 26 of natural causes at her residence in Paris, Goldberg said. She lived in Paris for nearly six decades.

De Havilland emerged as a star during the classic movie era -- first as a romantic partner for Errol Flynn in swashbucklers such as"Captain Blood" and "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and then as Melanie Hamilton Wilkes in "Gone With the Wind" (1939), considered the top moneymaking film of all time when adjusted for inflation.

De Havilland survived virtually all of her contemporaries from the movies' golden age -- even writing a tribute to the younger Mickey Rooney for Time when he passed away in April 2014. Ironically, the sickly Melanie died near the end of "Gone With the Wind," yet the actress who played her long outlived co-stars Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and McDaniel.

And she was still riding her bike at the age of 104.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Another golden age actress has gone on to the big studio in the sky

And she was still riding her bike at the age of 104.

I was about to post this as well. 

Interesting factoid: Her first Oscar nomination, (she was nominated for 5, won 2), was for her portrayal of Melanie in ‘Gone With the Wind.’ She lost to her costar Hattie McDaniel, who became the first black person to win an Academy Award. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

I was about to post this as well. 

Interesting factoid: Her first Oscar nomination, (she was nominated for 5, won 2), was for her portrayal of Melanie in ‘Gone With the Wind.’ She lost to her costar Hattie McDaniel, who became the first black person to win an Academy Award. 

At 103 I still I hope I am riding and saying FUCK YOU Republicans

• Upvote 2