IGNORED

Dillards 85: Ungodly Swim Suits It's a Cruel Summer

samurai_sarah

When it comes to how I imagine the Duggar grandchildren’s futures to look like, I have the most hope for the Dillard kids.
Sure, their parents are still extremely conservative, but while Jill wearing pants isn’t such an impactful change, sending Izzy (and soon Sam) to public school certainly is. The boys will likely be allowed to go to college and actually live independent lives. Derick appears to love Uni and while we snark on his seemingly endless studying, at least it bodes well for his kids. 
By consequence, getting an education gives them freedom later on. There won’t be a Jim Bob 2.0 to decide how and who they can date, work for, etc. and pressure them with his financial power. 
Should the Dillard’s have (a) daughter(s) later on, I do believe she, too, will attend school and won’t be homeschooled. It wouldn’t make sense to send the boys off to school and homeschool the girl(s). In fact, I could even picture Jill trying to “live through” a daughter and wanting her girl to become a real nurse or midwife. After all, she herself couldn’t (yet?) achieve her dream because of her shitty upbringing.
Speaking of education, I bet Jill will do something once she’s done having kids and Israel and Sam are in school. I don’t think she’ll be a housewife only but might also work or further her education in some way or another. She’s still young so we might see her venturing out quite a bit during her late 20s and her 30s. 
Still, Derick publicity endorsing corporal punishment makes me sick so I do see the problematic aspects in their family, too. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

Can someone make a meme that says "A Duggar daughter sending her child to public school for the first even during a pandemic is actually something that can be so personal." Because that is what I'm feeling right now as Israel is getting ready to go to school. Also, despite how much Derrick's views suck, it was pretty cute seeing him help Israel read his supply list. The bar is so low for Duggar parents that you are amaze when you see them help their child read something instead of them getting frustrated that the child is having trouble doing something. 

• Upvote 15

I haven't watched Jill's videos before, so I was surprised by how grown up Israel seems.  

Also, Israel tried to read his list with help from his parents, and Sam was counting. It's fairly normal for the age, sure, but it was so nice seeing the parents encourage their children's education. Seeing as they are the only ones (hopefully so far) sending their kids to school, I think it's safe to say that the Dillards value education the most out off all the Duggar kidults.

Poor Jill. She must have a lot of feelings about the education that was denied her. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Depending on what Derick does with his law degree, I'd love for him to say, Jill, you supported me when I was in law school, now I want to support your going to a community college. i know it isn't uncommon to see students at community colleges who are in their late twenties and thirties, and even older. (Not trying to make anyone feel old- I'm 48, but want Jill to know there are schools that welcome and support non-traditional students, and she didn't lose her chance to go to college when she was 18.)

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

Israel needs a better fitting mask. It's the struggle that will be happening with so many little ones - trying to keep their masks adjusted. But they do all act as though they have worn the masks before so that's good. Its hard for adults to keep their hands off their masks.

I have a niece who teaches in Rogers, but I don't think it's the school Israel is going to attend. 

• Upvote 7

Jill definitely has plenty of time for college later. I teach at a community college close to them and I have had students in their 50s especially women who decided they raised their kids and now it’s time for them. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 7

6 hours ago, BernRul said:

I haven't watched Jill's videos before, so I was surprised by how grown up Israel seems.  

Same here. I know he's old enough to start school but still have hard time seeing him so grown up and going to school. Also never thought I'd type that sentence for any of the Duggar 2nd generation kids except maybe Jinger's kids. He's growing up fast. I hope he really loves school and all the things he'll get to do there. And all the things he'll learn. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

I'm happy for Israel. A real teacher and lots of social interaction, that's what a child his age needs. For me, it's not about college opportunities, it is about making friends! Those isolated fundie children can't make friends... What kind of childhood is that? How they develop their personalities, if daily social interaction is banned? 

I'm sure Spurgeon would do great at school, too. Do you think Jessa is judging Jill or is secretly envious? She's smart and I suspect she has doubts sometimes (not faith doubts, but doubts about their lifestyle), but she's trapped. 

• Upvote 28
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm happy for Israel. A real teacher and lots of social interaction, that's what a child his age needs. For me, it's not about college opportunities, it is about making friends! Those isolated fundie children can't make friends... What kind of childhood is that? How they develop their personalities, if daily social interaction is banned? 

I'm sure Spurgeon would do great at school, too. Do you think Jessa is judging Jill or is secretly envious? She's smart and I suspect she has doubts sometimes (not faith doubts, but doubts about their lifestyle), but she's trapped. 

Probably judging but I do wonder if she'll be envious later when both boys are in school and out of Jill's hair five days a week. Jessa seems like she'd like having her kids out of her hair for a few hours five days a week. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Also if/when Jill has another baby she going to have plenty of hours most days with just an older toddler and a baby.  She's not going to be juggling two (or more littles) with trying to educate.  Even better for their education (especially the middle kids - who I think get academically neglected the most in these families) and she gets more time to know and parent the little's and a new baby.  Its likely that even if she gets to 4 kids, Sam will be at school by then.  So she will probably only ever have 2 small ones at home during school hours.  Unless she has twins - she's not going to have two births within 2 years considering that even if she's pregnant now, she's not far enough along to announce.

That makes the house and parenting far more manageable.

Its great not only for education but also for Jill and for parenting.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Probably judging but I do wonder if she'll be envious later when both boys are in school and out of Jill's hair five days a week. Jessa seems like she'd like having her kids out of her hair for a few hours five days a week. 

I think Jessa likes having the kids at home now, but when they will grow up a bit, she will realise they need something else. Co-op, sports or whatever... Because moms get overwhelmed but kids also need to be out of home! Also, in a few years, it will be clear than Izzy and Sam will be learning way more than Spurgeon and Henry. Jessa is smart and can make efforts, but she's limitated by her own weak education and her Bible based homeschool materials.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Oh I bet there are a lot of Duggar moms out there secretly envious of Jill right about now. I just have a feeling that most of them would be perfectly content to send their kids to school, wear pants, and have more freedom....but they also know they're so far down the rabbit hole of JB's control they don't dare take the leap because none of them (aside from Austin) have the skills or ability make it on their own financially.

Derrick & Jeremy are the only Duggar husbands who actually lead a relatively mainstream life prior to marriage...aka: college, travel, etc. And look - both Jill & Jinger are shorts-wearing heathens. Obviously Jill has broken the mold far more, and with Jeremy pursuing religious continuing education I doubt we will see Jinger sending her kids to public school because they like keeping up appearances of the cult in situations that suit them. This all doesn't bode well for the younger unmarried girls. This just further proves that allowing your girls to marry a "worldly" man only sends farther out of your control and I think from here on out we will see most girls marrying guys like Ben. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

My thoughts:

Jill’s life is easier because it’s more mainstream and dovetails better with living in the world outside of JB’s reign/rein/ puppeteer strings. Her husband is educated and will be employable, in one field or another. They have limited their family size to a manageable number of young kids at one time. They have friends and activities outside their own four walls. They attend a brick and mortar church beyond Daddy Duggar’s Bible study of the couch. They have chosen PS for their first born. Jill has working, female role models in Cathy and her SIL. All in all, Jill is living a richer, fuller life that affords her more options and POVs to consider.

Jessa- I’d call Jessa more socially adept and aware; perhaps even cunning. Intellectually speaking, I don’t believe that she’s any smarter than your average Duggar. She enjoys the shortcuts as well as the next Duggar and presents as rather lazy. I also think she’s stubborn and would likely not admit to having a less full or stimulating life than Jill. I think she and Ben make a good couple. Ben does seem bright. Too bad his parents couldn’t talk some sense into him before he joined the crazy train. I also think Ben is really good with kids, much more so than Derick. Although I could see Derick being good with older kids and adolescents. I am pleasantly surprised at how well Jessa does with her kids. She seems to really enjoy them. I’m also not sure how well any of these folks would do if they had to work FT jobs, got payed based on their educations and skills and had to provide everything for themselves. I doubt they’d be popping the kids out so fast, or be so cheery.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

Ahhh the People of Wal-Mart website... reaches everyone LOL. I actually giggled when Jill said they were going to be on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My thoughts:

I’m also not sure how well any of these folks would do if they had to work FT jobs, got payed based on their educations and skills and had to provide everything for themselves. I doubt they’d be popping the kids out so fast, or be so cheery.

This is what has me thinking Joy & Austin will stop after 4 or 5 kids. Austin actually works for a living & Joy seems to enjoy working with him when she can & she can't do that with eleventy kids. I do wonder if they will take a little break since technically this is Joy's 3rd delivery in 2.5 years. Her body really does need a break. I would hope they slow down but who knows. 

• Upvote 4

What's with all the school supplies that the Dillard family buy in Walmart?

Do children take all these  to fill up the school stock cupboards for the year? Are materials not supplied by the school and instead pupils have to contribute their share for the whole class?

• Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

Do children take all these  to fill up the school stock cupboards for the year? Are materials not supplied by the school and instead pupils have to contribute their share for the whole class?

Large supply lists for elementary school are very common. Teachers in my state only get $275 to supply everything for the classroom for the whole year and in an elementary school room, that doesn’t go very far between actual school supplies, buying books for the kids to read in class, and decor and other activities. This year especially, children are not allowed to share materials due to Covid and so the supply list covers the supplies the kids will need for the year just for them. Even then though, teachers will still end up paying out of pocket after their supply money runs out to make sure that all of their kids have all of the supplies they need. All a school supplies usually is the room, the desk for teachers and students, and maybe a couple book cases and that’s it. 

• Upvote 24
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Sops2 said:

No, in America students supply everything for the classrooms, very little is supplied by the school itself, aside from desks, chairs, text books & in wealthier school districts tablets or chrome books.  Many teachers in the US spend their own money stocking their classrooms with books and supplies that children cannot afford to supply themselves.  This is why we have massive school drives to help students who cannot afford the insane expense of school supplies, especially if you have several children. Children must provide their own paper, pencils, crayons, markers, erasers, rulers, glue, scissors, folders, notebooks, tissues, cleaning supplies & snacks for the class room. Every few months students (at least where I live) are asked to bring a snack to share with the whole class, a list is given of what may be brought in, it must be store bought, it must not be candy,  or be high sugar content, things like that.

I don't have any kids in K-12 just a college student, so the last 3 years now I've bought the supplies I would have normally bought for my kids and given them to a local school drive. This year, since I work for a janitorial company, I bought, disinfectant, and wipes that are really hard to come by in stores right now & gave them to a friend of mine who teaches 2nd grade and she said she would share them with her co-workers. 

American schools are DESPERATELY underfunded thanks to the republicans/conservatives who wish to keep America stupid, to keep them voting republican. Republicans have also vilified everyone that makes a living off taxpayer money, and especially teachers, because they get a whopping 8/10 weeks off in the summer (unpaid) and they are jealous because they only get 2 to 4 weeks of time off a year, paid. 

• Upvote 19
  • Downvote 1
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

24 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

No, in America students supply everything for the classrooms, very little is supplied by the school itself, aside from desks, chairs, text books & in wealthier school districts tablets or chrome books.  Many teachers in the US spend their own money stocking their classrooms with books and supplies that children cannot afford to supply themselves.  This is why we have massive school drives to help students who cannot afford the insane expense of school supplies, especially if you have several children. Children must provide their own paper, pencils, crayons, markers, erasers, rulers, glue, scissors, folders, notebooks, tissues, cleaning supplies & snacks for the class room. Every few months students (at least where I live) are asked to bring a snack to share with the whole class, a list is given of what may be brought in, it must be store bought, it must not be candy,  or be high sugar content, things like that.

I don't have any kids in K-12 just a college student, so the last 3 years now I've bought the supplies I would have normally bought for my kids and given them to a local school drive. This year, since I work for a janitorial company, I bought, disinfectant, and wipes that are really hard to come by in stores right now & gave them to a friend of mine who teaches 2nd grade and she said she would share them with her co-workers. 

American schools are DESPERATELY underfunded thanks to the republicans/conservatives who wish to keep America stupid, to keep them voting republican. Republicans have also vilified everyone that makes a living off taxpayer money, and especially teachers, because they get a whopping 8/10 weeks off in the summer (unpaid) and they are jealous because they only get 2 to 4 weeks of time off a year, paid. 

Thank you so much for your donation! My daughter is an elementary art teacher and has to have about 100 packages of crayons, markers, scissors, etc. for this year. There is not time to sanitize between classes, only overnight. And she will be teaching from a cart this year (when she goes back in classroom, who knows when that will be, the school board is jacking them around on making a decision). She has an Amazon wish list for supplies she needs and she is in a well funded district! 
It is criminal how we fail to fully fund and support schools in our country.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

As a retired teacher I'm just appalled by this.

The Scottish Education  budget is  £3.57 billion for 2020-21

This is for-

Total     1,452,240 of young people

Primary  pupils  390,260  -age 4/5 -12

Secondary   322,980  - age 12-16/17/1

Post secondary   739,000 - college/ further education

The vast majority of schools in the state sector are administered directly by the local Education Authority,  ( ie the 32 councils used for local government) All classroom materials like books, notebooks , craft supplies etc are provided 

State funded schools are free. Independent schools ( "public" schools ) ( or as we call them "private schools !!! )  do not receive direct state funding and charge fees for their pupils. These  schools are very well resourced through the fees that parents pay.

The american system sounds desperate. 

• Upvote 12

17 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

Jill definitely has plenty of time for college later. I teach at a community college close to them and I have had students in their 50s especially women who decided they raised their kids and now it’s time for them. 

I have a friend who married at 18,  had six kids and adopted a seventh, did a ton of volunteer work, including missions to Russia in the 80s, and, after her husband died, decided she wanted to get her degree. She got her teaching degree at 68, and now teaches immigrants in New Mexico how to read. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 12

Hi everyone. I’m not a frequent poster on the Dillards pages (more of an Anderson gal) but I just read that the Dillards are sending Israel to public school. I’m late to the game obviously but would love the link to the thread where this was discussed. Thanks!!

• Upvote 2

Freejin - starts near the bottom of page 3. Sorry, not sure how to jump right to that post.

Edited by JenJ1978
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic