IGNORED

Dillards 85: Ungodly Swim Suits It's a Cruel Summer

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

My cousin can't float either. Growing up, we had a pool. She would come over and I remember trying to teach her. As soon as I would take my hands away, down she went. 

Is she skinny? When I was younger, I was not a good floater either. Now, however, no problem?

• Haha 13
  • I Agree 2

(I looked but cannot see where anyone else has posted this idea, but it may totally exist, so please point me in the right direction, b/c this is dated a little.

Jill's IG had a post on July 3rd where she talked about loving to put special letters and pics in her bible. That made me wonder if she was the one who wrote the letter about the abuse and put it in the book? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

17 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Is she skinny? When I was younger, I was not a good floater either. Now, however, no problem?

I have built in flotation. 

I took swim lessons as a kid, but never joined a team or anything. I wasn't that good, and being nearly blind without glasses made things difficult. So I know intellectually how to swim, but I mostly play in the water and float more than swim. I took a beginner swimming class for an easy PE in college, and passed super easily. Mostly because the others were afraid of the water - I really think being afraid of the water is the biggest problem for some people. We had to tread water for five minutes for part of the final, and the others were going like crazy and getting out of breath. I just floated mostly, doing the treading motions very very slowly. I naturally float high enough that if I tilt my head back I don't have to work at it really.

On swimsuits, I love tankinis. Several years ago I bought a swimsuit top that is basically an underwire bra (it's from Fantasie, I think, a bra company) with an overlay, so it looks like a thin-strapped tank. It was crazy expensive, but so much more comfortable than anything else I've had. I'm a G-H cup so I need the support. This one is good enough I can wear it all day, even out of the water, without having to heave my boobs back into place. I went and got bikini bottoms to go with it from Torrid, and got a couple different ones to coordinate. I wore it on a cruise and was able to wear it for an entire shore day, just pulled shorts on over it for the on-land portions then stripped off the shorts to swim. 

• Upvote 7

Jumping in to add my irrelevant .02: I hate everything about swimming. 

Edited by Giraffe
Spaces are good.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Macular degeneration can be hereditary as well and can also be a side effect of other eye problems. 
Another reminder is that UV doesn’t go away when the weather gets cold. You need sunglasses year round.  I have extreme light sensitivity due to hereditary retinal disease causing me to have no pigmentation in my retinas. I wear sunglasses year round rain or shine. Many helpful acquaintances and strangers over the years have told me to take them off in winter or cloudy/rainy days. That would not only cause me headaches and eye pain, it would be stupid to not protect my eyes. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/27/2020 at 7:55 AM, Meggo said:

We went to the beach yesterday and it was really kind of rough. He didn't want to go in swimming. So we held hands and had the waves come up on our legs and that was as far as he was willing to go without his life jacket. 
And honestly - even if he's with one of us - he is wearing it. Because I had him in my arms last year and got knocked by a wave and barely kept my head up enough to shove him to shore and tell him to swim (he was scared and clinging so hard to me I couldn't get up above the water). So - life jackets. And swimming lessons when they start up again.

Swimming is such an important skill, and riptides are no joke. I had my first official swimming lessons at four at summer camp with my grandma (they also told us there was a special chemical in the water that would turn our pee red, so to never pee in the water ? ). 
Still, despite the fact that I started early and was confident, without Bu healthy fear of the ocean, I nearly drowned at 7 at a popular beach prone to riptides. My dad had to save me.

likewise, at the same beach, a friend from college told me about his own experience with riptides at the same Age, same beach. His brother saved him. 

We didn’t grow up in the same area; he was there for his brother’s surf competition. But if you’re young and don’t have sufficient muscles, you can get snatched Just like that. We also have the occasional college student or adult who winds up drowning. 
I’ve almost always lived within at least an hour from the beach, but I’ve tried to instill it in my kid that you NEVER turn your back on the waves (she’s also been forced into many swimming lessons). You need to know what’s coming.

ETA: we also have a centuries long tradition of keeping kids of color (and their parents, obviously) away from water where they could learn to swim. Sometimes the availability of pools has a huge impact.

My ex grew up in Long Beach, but swims quite poorly. There weren’t public options really available nearby. Most of his friends couldn’t swim either, despite growing up right beside the ocean.
My (primarily white) high school had a swimming pool where we were forced to swim, but I’ve never seen one at an elementary school. 

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

she is thin but was really thin back then. I wasn't, thus I could float so well. 

9 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Swimming is such an important skill, and riptides are no joke. I had my first official swimming lessons at four at summer camp with my grandma (they also told us there was a special chemical in the water that would turn our pee red, so to never pee in the water ? ). 

Oh, we were told it would turn green. 

• Haha 6

@Snowless I only know about wool being water resistant because my sister in law cloth diapered and knitted wool “shorties” to cover the diapers. 

About swimming, one of the most important things people don’t realize is that drowning doesn’t look like how it’s portrayed in the movies. So many people drown right in front of someone else because the other person doesn’t realize what is happening. Here’s an article about it: https://gcaptain.com/drowning/

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

@apandaaries you and your father are so lucky, they are speculating that is how Glee star Naya Rivera died. They think she got caught in an under current/riptide whatever it is called on a lake. From her son's comments she got him on the boat but didn't have the strength to get herself safe, she died to save him, as most any parent would.  I remember reading about an Iron man athlete drowning when he got caught in a riptide, it can take out the most experienced and strongest swimmers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Jumping in to add my irrelevant .02: I hate everything about swimming. 

For me, it really depends on the surroundings. A boring pool, meh. But a nice beach and I wanna jump into the water (and nap in the sun, obviously ?). 

• Haha 3

I too was a water baby. Pond, lake, river, mud puddle and I was in it! My mom was terrified of the water, but she made sure the 3 of us could swim and swim well. There was a small lake with public access about 2 blocks from our house and we would walk through a trail to get there on hot summer days to cool off. So much fun. When we were older elementary school age and if older kids were going, we could go by ourselves. (Yes, it was a different world back then!) This was until something bad happened there, either at the lake or on the trail. None of the adults would ever tell us what happened and not even my superior sleuthing skills could find out, but we couldn't go even with an adult. I found out years later that a girl and been raped and murdered. Maybe we just thought the world was better back then.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

For me, it really depends on the surroundings. A boring pool, meh. But a nice beach and I wanna jump into the water (and nap in the sun, obviously ?). 

I love love LOVE walking along the ocean. But no amount of bribery will get me into the water. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@apandaaries you and your father are so lucky, they are speculating that is how Glee star Naya Rivera died. They think she got caught in an under current/riptide whatever it is called on a lake. From her son's comments she got him on the boat but didn't have the strength to get herself safe, she died to save him, as most any parent would.  I remember reading about an Iron man athlete drowning when he got caught in a riptide, it can take out the most experienced and strongest swimmers. 

My friend was lucky, too. Those riptides are so dangerous, and lifeguards often can’t get there in time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

she is thin but was really thin back then. I wasn't, thus I could float so well. 

Oh, we were told it would turn green. 

We were told it would turn purple ? But we knew better - we peed in the pool ALL the time. Partially to see if our pee would turn the pool purple.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I remember reading about an Iron man athlete drowning when he got caught in a riptide, it can take out the most experienced and strongest swimmers. 

Triathletes die during the swim far too often. Its usually a heart attack, though, at least partially caused by age (the majority of deaths during a triathlon are men, age 55+, during the swim) and something about the cold water combined with adrenaline and physical exertion. I've not heard of anyone being caught in a riptide but that doesn't mean anything, I can't follow every single Ironman. 

• Upvote 3

I was maybe 18 months when I started swim lessons? Definitely younger than 2. I was learning basic dives at 5/6. Swimming comes so naturally to me that I can’t understand not knowing how. I grew up surrounded by water and we often went to a local beach after church in the summer. Naturally, any kids I have will get swim lessons as early as possible. 

ugh, Covid has ruined my normal summer swimming routine. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, purple_summer said:

ugh, Covid has ruined my normal summer swimming routine. 

THank god for living close to the sea, is all I can say. I can keep swimming

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, medimus said:

I do too, but the beaches for swimming have been super crowded and are becoming hotspots ?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3

On 8/4/2020 at 1:45 AM, Maggie Mae said:

We were told it would turn purple ? But we knew better - we peed in the pool ALL the time. Partially to see if our pee would turn the pool purple.

I know! When you had to go, you had to go. We would have to get out, dry off enough to go in the house and then struggle to pull down your suit! Much easier to pee in the pool. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, purple_summer said:

I do too, but the beaches for swimming have been super crowded and are becoming hotspots ?

I'm sorry. The most popular spots here were closed off for a while, but there were always places to swim. And generally the water is cold enough that not too many people actually want to be in for any length of time!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, medimus said:

That's the only downside of where I live. No beach close by. The closest ones are a few states away. Too far to just hop in the car and drive to for the day or an afternoon. It would be nice to be able to do that. To go swimming or just relax on a beach reading. 

• Upvote 1

I loved swimming in a pool and swam a few times in a lake, but never in an ocean. Frankly only a pool appealed to me. The only pool around here that's open now is an indoor pool at a fitness center.  Swimming isn't possible for me now with my COPD, especially with that high humidity. So I'll just remember how much I loved it.

• Sad 1
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, finnlassie said:

You would think that at this point Jill would've learnt how to spell lightning...

Well, I have to confess that I looked up how to spell lightning.  Sometimes it looks right to me, and sometimes I want to add an e in there.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, finnlassie said:

You would think that at this point Jill would've learnt how to spell lightning...

I cannot comment on anyone's spelling, I have to look up far too many words, I can't spell for shit, I rely on spell check and google when my spelling is so off spell check can't figure me out. I have an associates degree and a bachelor's degree and finished both with honors, still can't spell. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic