IGNORED

Dillards 85: Ungodly Swim Suits It's a Cruel Summer

samurai_sarah

23 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Unfortunately when I was growing up, my parents (and maybe people in general) gave no fucks about sunscreen so I have had tons (native Floridian) of very bad, blistering sunburns before i became an adult and could buy my own sunscreen.

This happened to my mom.  (she was born in the 50s)  Anyway, when she was growing up, apparently no one wore sunglasses.  She was a farmers kid so she was outside alot.  Unfortunately a few years ago, an opthamologist told her she has some damage to some inner organ of her eye (i cant remember exactly), but was probably caused by all that sun exposure long ago.  When we were talking about this, she was like, yeah, people just didnt wear sunglassses then like they do now. 

They are going to monitor it, as it could possibly cause blindness, which sucks.  My mom has green eyes, which I know are supposed to be more sensitive.  Wear your sunglasses people.  A good thing fashion has done I suppose, making them popular as accessories in more recent times.

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

@The Mother Dust,  your mom probably either has cataracts which can be caused by sun damage to the lens or the eye or more improbably, some damage to her retinas at the back of the eye.  My brother fell asleep under a sunlamp once and burned his retinas,  He was okay after a few days, but that could have caused him to go blind.  

• Thank You 1

Like others have said, I think Jill’s swimsuits are super cute and something I’d wear myself, even though I’m not trying to be modest.

I think the key to modest clothing is having something that covers up, but legitimately looks nice and/or is beneficial for other people. Some of the more stylish fundies (ie, some of the Bates girls) wear cute outfits that I would wear because they’re nice and well put together, especially as a cute work outfit (can’t have the jugs hanging out at a children’s hospital. Unless you’re breastfeeding, then have at it).

I remember people freaking out about the “burkini” because Islam is oppressive and terrible and we shouldn’t cater to them (protesters’ words, not mine), but quite a few people came to its defense, saying that they live in a UV heavy area and think it’s a really handy protective suit. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@The Mother Dust,  your mom probably either has cataracts which can be caused by sun damage to the lens or the eye or more improbably, some damage to her retinas at the back of the eye.  My brother fell asleep under a sunlamp once and burned his retinas,  He was okay after a few days, but that could have caused him to go blind.  

Ah, reading that sparked my memory, yeah, it's one of her retinas, unfortunately.  At least it's not both eyes  ?

• Love 2

My husband is a ginger and is obsessive about sunscreen.  I've been fortunate not to have a burn for as long as we've been together (over 8 years now!) because he is always bugging me to reapply every 2 hours.  I good-naturedly moan and groan about it, but I don't miss having to find a friend to slather aloe on my back.

• Upvote 7

I used to be lazy about sunscreen (as someone who is African-American) but for the past two weeks I've been applying sunscreen everyday (mainly due to my runs in the early morning). I saw this account showing skin conditions in African-American skin and one was sunburn and I truly didn't realize how much I had sunburn as a chlid/adult till now. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

This happened to my mom.  (she was born in the 50s)  Anyway, when she was growing up, apparently no one wore sunglasses.  She was a farmers kid so she was outside alot.  Unfortunately a few years ago, an opthamologist told her she has some damage to some inner organ of her eye (i cant remember exactly), but was probably caused by all that sun exposure long ago.  When we were talking about this, she was like, yeah, people just didnt wear sunglassses then like they do now. 

They are going to monitor it, as it could possibly cause blindness, which sucks.  My mom has green eyes, which I know are supposed to be more sensitive.  Wear your sunglasses people.  A good thing fashion has done I suppose, making them popular as accessories in more recent times.

She likely has macular degeneration. My mom has it, MIL had it and my husband and I, both blue eyed, have been warned to always wear sunglasses when outdoors.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

One of the things to remember with sunscreen is they've done studies that show people are in general applying way too little of it (on average 1/4 to 1/2 of the required amount iirc), which is one of the reasons why there's such a need to 50+spf. So, put on way more than your instincts tell you to even though it means you look like a weird ghost and have to rub it in for ages.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Jill, and her family, would be perfect for a photo shoot wearing swimwear from the late 1800's until now, in 20 year increments.  If I won the lottery, I'd pay to have it done.

They could wander around a beach doing the things that was considered fashionable at the time and how they felt about how the swimwear felt to wear on the shore and in the water.  I'm sure that they'd find that the heavy fabrics of the past weren't very comfortable, were restrictive and didn't feel safe for more than wading in shallow water.

When the swim suits got to the point where they didn't feel comfortable modeling them, bring in other models for that.  Jill could still talk about the advances in fabrics and the introduction of sunscreen, along with the expanded options of things to do at the beach.  When people weren't worried about their swim clothes drowning them, we saw a lot more distance swimming, surfing, etc.

Keep advancing forward until to the 2000's, and slow the timeline down to every five or ten years.  Jill could talk about how her family handled swimming  compared with the more common versions.  She could wear replicas of what her family would have worn at the time, and what they'd have been allowed to do that would still conform with her family's values.

Now today, when she's integrating her childhood norms and restrictions with her changing adult beliefs.  She finds that she likes easy, fashionable and modest swimwear over wading around in denim skirts and a blouse.  Her kids aren't trying to swim in jeans.  

Maybe we find that Jill and Derrik understand the wisdom of using sunscreen for both short term and long term health benefits.  Maybe she and her family avoid going out in the sun during the hours when the sun is most intense.  They are liberally applying sunscreen often and with abandon.  They are having fun in the sun in the safest way they know in the most comfortable way they know.  

I'd really be thrilled if we find:

1)  They wear hats and sunglasses if they're not actually in the water.  

2)  The boys have had swimming lessons and are closely watched when around water.

3)  Jill and Derrik never take the kids out on a boat without all of them wearing approved life vests.

4)  Both parents know how to use CPR and have basic first aid in the event of an accident.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Jill, and her family, would be perfect for a photo shoot wearing swimwear from the late 1800's until now, in 20 year increments.  If I won the lottery, I'd pay to have it done.

They could wander around a beach doing the things that was considered fashionable at the time and how they felt about how the swimwear felt to wear on the shore and in the water.  I'm sure that they'd find that the heavy fabrics of the past weren't very comfortable, were restrictive and didn't feel safe for more than wading in shallow water.

When the swim suits got to the point where they didn't feel comfortable modeling them, bring in other models for that.  Jill could still talk about the advances in fabrics and the introduction of sunscreen, along with the expanded options of things to do at the beach.  When people weren't worried about their swim clothes drowning them, we saw a lot more distance swimming, surfing, etc.

Keep advancing forward until to the 2000's, and slow the timeline down to every five or ten years.  Jill could talk about how her family handled swimming  compared with the more common versions.  She could wear replicas of what her family would have worn at the time, and what they'd have been allowed to do that would still conform with her family's values.

Now today, when she's integrating her childhood norms and restrictions with her changing adult beliefs.  She finds that she likes easy, fashionable and modest swimwear over wading around in denim skirts and a blouse.  Her kids aren't trying to swim in jeans.  

Maybe we find that Jill and Derrik understand the wisdom of using sunscreen for both short term and long term health benefits.  Maybe she and her family avoid going out in the sun during the hours when the sun is most intense.  They are liberally applying sunscreen often and with abandon.  They are having fun in the sun in the safest way they know in the most comfortable way they know.  

I'd really be thrilled if we find:

1)  They wear hats and sunglasses if they're not actually in the water.  

2)  The boys have had swimming lessons and are closely watched when around water.

3)  Jill and Derrik never take the kids out on a boat without all of them wearing approved life vests.

4)  Both parents know how to use CPR and have basic first aid in the event of an accident.

Did you see the recent episode where Felicity had swimming lessons and both Jinger and Joy mentioned that they were not decent swimmers? It was then confirmed by JB and Michelle that the older and younger kids had lessons, but the kids in the middle never really had an opportunity to swim, so likely didn’t learn. It’s crap like this that really p*sses me off. It was pretty apparent that Jinger didn’t want to get in the water with Felicity because swimming was unfamiliar to her. At least she’s doing better by making the effort to introduce the water to Felicity.

• Upvote 17

On 7/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, DarkAnts said:

Victorian swim costumes were usually made of wool. 

One would be surprised to learn that, but wool is actually naturally very water-resistant due to the lanolin (sort of an oily/waxy substance that is secreted by the sebaceous glands of wool bearing animals — sheep, certain types of goats, musk oxen, alpacas, and so on...) that is present in the wool.  It’s sometimes called “wool fat” but is actually chemically closer to a wax.  The lanolin present in sheep’s wool prevents the wool from becoming waterlogged if the animal is caught out in very rainy weather.  The wool also has air pockets at the microscopic level, and thus insulates the animal from cold air even if the wool itself has gotten wet.

When the wool is shorn, it sometimes gets scoured (washed), which will remove some of the lanolin (although some spinners prefer to spin with unwashed and untreated wool, or “in the grease”, although this is up to personal preference as spinning in the grease, especially from an animal who had a higher amount of lanolin in the wool to begin with, can leave the spinner’s fingers feeling incredibly sticky).  But usually, there is still some lanolin left in the wool even after it’s been washed and spun into yarn.  I’ve been a knitter for almost 15 years now and I’ve learned how to recognize a wool or wool-blend yarn by touch.  Even in wool blend yarns, I can usually feel a slight slickness or stickiness to the yarn that I don’t typically feel in a fiber like acrylic or cotton...almost like it has a slight oiliness to it.

Wearing swimming costumes made of wool in Victorian Britain would have actually been beneficial for people going into the water because of the northern latitude, which would mean cooler ocean water in the summer compared to ocean water in the tropical latitudes (which is why you typically don’t see, even with the current climate change trends, tropical storms and hurricanes forming near or heading towards the British Isles, because those storms need warm water to form and fuel themselves).  Even if the wool had been treated before being spun, it would still maintain its water resistance properties and keep swimmers from feeling too cold in the cooler waters.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 5

"The Christian Modest wear is also a signal to other Christians, though. It's so ugly and outlandish. The entire time it's been "a thing" we've had options that they just don't want to buy because Jesus. Pretty much any of the active swimwear on Swim Outlet would be fine, and then there are rash guards and board shorts and swim shorts to add or swap out. But no, Fundies like zsu, the duggars, ect need their kids to be set apart from the geneneric mass of "kids" that might want to talk to them."

I think that's true of Fundie fashion in general. Just look at the Mormon and even some Muslim clothing sites--there are plenty of modest clothes that are cute, fashionable, practical and affordable. But if you wore them you would just be modest, not advertising your piety. So it's frumpers, long denim or khaki skirts with t-shirts under everything, and let your long hair hang down so everybody knows you're a righteous Christian.

As an aside, at least they make allowances for an actual swimming costume. A friend of mine raised fundie in Kentucky used to have to swim with her long denim skirt safety pinned between her legs.

Edited by patsymae
  • Upvote 9
  • WTF 1

20 hours ago, SassyPants said:

She likely has macular degeneration. My mom has it, MIL had it and my husband and I, both blue eyed, have been warned to always wear sunglasses when outdoors.

Ah yes, I am pretty sure thats what the name of the condition was that she told me, thank you.   I have blue eyes also.  I was born in the early 80s, so fortunately sunglass wearing was alot more common when I was growing up.  Yes, we have to take care of our eyes!  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Did you see the recent episode where Felicity had swimming lessons and both Jinger and Joy mentioned that they were not decent swimmers? It was then confirmed by JB and Michelle that the older and younger kids had lessons, but the kids in the middle never really had an opportunity to swim, so likely didn’t learn. It’s crap like this that really p*sses me off. It was pretty apparent that Jinger didn’t want to get in the water with Felicity because swimming was unfamiliar to her. At least she’s doing better by making the effort to introduce the water to Felicity.

Making sure your children have swimming lessons for me is essential because it could save their life. We have seen the Duggars having days on the lakes, at the pool or at the beach. From what I remembered, they were of course always swimming with a buddy and the younger ones had PFD. But an accident can happen even when you take precautions. If an accident would occur, whilst it is not possible to control everything, at least a kid that is comfortable and relax in water could be a life-saver depending on the situation.

My mom was deadly scared of water when she was young (and for no reason really, it was not something passed down from her parents, or anything of the sort). She got over her fear by getting into swimming, swim team and lifeguard. Because it thought her not to panic and what to do in different situations. Even little kids who do the basics first lessons, they are thought how to float and preserve their energy (anyone remember the starfish float?). My mother made sure all of her 5 kids got swimming lessons. Not all of us really got ''into'' it. My brothers only did the basics lessons and after that were allowed to quit. My sister and I did a lot of swimming, until we were teens and I earned my bronze medallion and cross (for those familiar with the Canadian Lifesaving Society)

Anywhoo what I am trying to say is that I am a big advocate for swimming lessons for all. I'm sure that with the Duggars, having a lot of children, probably that fees were part of the decision to stop enrolling the middle kids when the money got more scarce (with of course the question of not having lessons with heathen children in normal swim suits I suppose?).

Glad Jill and Jinger are at least making sure their children have these lessons.

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

In Australia it’s kind of morally mandatory IMO, to learn to swim. Its just a huge part of our culture and even if you aren’t into swimming you need to learn because it’s so much around it’s not safe to not learn to swim. Swimming lessons was the one thing I always said my daughter had to do come hell or high water. She will continue to do them until she can properly save herself if she falls into a pool. She loves swimming so now I have pushed that boundary as until she learns all the strokes. I am hoping she will continue her love of swimming and I will be more than happy to put her into squads if she so chooses. There is to much water, water sports and water involvement (our hot climate). For any child (IMO) in Australia to not to at least learn the basics of survival in the water. 
my child was standing on a sea wall the other day. A quick sprint away from me. It was nice to not be panicky because I knew I would have a couple of minutes to get to her if she fell in because she can swim. Yes it was a short drop and not to shallow. She would have been shocked and cold and that’s about it if she had of fallen in. :) 

• Upvote 9

He seems to have deleted it now, but when the Dillards were in Central America they had a weekend at a resort and there were pictures of them in the swimming pool more or less fully clothed - I think Jill had a long skirt on. Derick did one of his ‘modest is hot’ hashtags.

They've clearly changed their minds about what is modest.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I want to remind everyone, that even if you don't burn, and tan easily, you still need protection from the sun!

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Swim lessons (I mean - before Covid shut them down) was not an option in my household. We live near water, have a house on an island, boat regularly. So life jacket AT ALL TIMES when on the boat, when on the dock. My son has decided to wear it while swimming too (fine by me). The ONLY time he's allowed not to wear it - is if he's just playing in the shallow end and will not be going in above his waist. And if he decides to come further in - he's sent back for the jacket.
We went to the beach yesterday and it was really kind of rough. He didn't want to go in swimming. So we held hands and had the waves come up on our legs and that was as far as he was willing to go without his life jacket. 
And honestly - even if he's with one of us - he is wearing it. Because I had him in my arms last year and got knocked by a wave and barely kept my head up enough to shove him to shore and tell him to swim (he was scared and clinging so hard to me I couldn't get up above the water). So - life jackets. And swimming lessons when they start up again. 

He can play any other sport for a season and then drop it - no worries. Play tball one season, soccer the next - doesn't matter. Swimming is non negotiable. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

My own kids were not really into the water. They took swimming lessons as youngsters and were both capable swimmers. When they were 9 and 12 we moved into a home with a pool. My GD, on the other hand, was enamored with the water as an infant. Recognizing this, at age 2, my daughter put her in swimming lessons, and at 6 she is a strong swimmer and can successfully swim most of the strokes. Our home does have a pool, so it’s good that she knows how to swim. Really, barring physical or intellectual deficits, all kids should learn how to swim, and especially learn what do if they were to fall into a body of water (flip over to their back and star fish) and get to the side if they can in a pool.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, SassyPants said:

Did you see the recent episode where Felicity had swimming lessons and both Jinger and Joy mentioned that they were not decent swimmers? It was then confirmed by JB and Michelle that the older and younger kids had lessons, but the kids in the middle never really had an opportunity to swim, so likely didn’t learn. It’s crap like this that really p*sses me off. 

My standards for the Dugs are so low, I'm surprised and impressed that any of the kids got swim lessons at all. Maybe my standards have just been lowered after seeing the underweight young Rod children flail around in the ocean in denim. 

The lack of water safety for Fundies in general really bothers me. There was a thread once about a large Fundie family where the young father had died. The GoFundMe stated they were swimming at a quarry and he went out to push the children's raft and "stepped into eternity." It took me a while to understand they were saying the bottom dropped out and he couldn't swim and drowned. I have no idea why someone whose swimming skills are so weak that they can't even tread water would think it's a good idea to take multiple young children swimming in a damn quarry. If that raft had turned over, what was his plan for getting the children?

I find often it's non-swimmers who take the biggest risks because they know so little about water they don't understand how dangerous what they are doing is (e.g., pools versus the ocean, swimming in full clothing versus a bathing suit).

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

12 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I find often it's non-swimmers who take the biggest risks because they know so little about water they don't understand how dangerous what they are doing is (e.g., pools versus the ocean, swimming in full clothing versus a bathing suit).

That's a really good point.  I am not a swimmer and as a kid would go to the pool but stuck to the part where it wasn't over my head.  

However I was forced to take swimming lessons in grade school and while I wouldn't trust that to save my life today, I did learn a lot about water safety that has stuck.  

• Upvote 5

My university required all freshmen to take a swim test the first week of school.  It's been a few years so my memory is fuzzy, but I think it was one length of the pool freestyle and one length backstroke. If the lifeguards deemed that you failed, your first two cycles of phys ed were swim lessons (there were 3 phys ed cycles per semester). 

• Upvote 6

My eldest daughter is a swimming fail. I got to the point of paying for 1-1 private lessons for her instead of the group as she just wasn't progressing. The swim teacher of some 20 years experience, promised me she would teach her to swim...... after 3 months she apologised to me and said save your money.  My daughter was her first and probably last fail, she just will not have water on her face. Since birth she freaks out with water on her face. Oh god showering was a bloody nightmare! She is ASD so maybe that has some bearing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

@IsmeWeatherwax I am not ASD, but it took me years to come to terms with water on my face. I am 41 and will. not. shower if I can avoid it, always a bath and a hand held shower head I can direct myself. I also have problems when the hairdressers wash my hair (also my mum, when I was a kid. It was the only thing - and brushing - that ever induced screaming fits from me, until I was finally old enough to do it myself) , except for one guy in my hometown. I go there whenever I am home (since it's 1000 miles away, not often, sadly.)
 I can swim, though (only ish) just because I like being in the water. But I'm terrible, and have to keep my head up at all times, so breaststroke - or any front swimming - ends up with me having a sore neck. Also, I don't like backstroke, because I can't tolerate the face-splashing. Basically, I hit my swimming potential at treading water. It's really frustrating to enjoy the feel of water, but be unable to participate :(

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

@Zebedee she will paddle in the sea and go in the shallow end of a pool, but its just not her thing. She will shower, but that took years of hard work, she is 23. She did what you did! She kept her head up and ended up with a sore neck. Its good to know shes not alone, thank you ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic