IGNORED

Lori Alexander 77: Back in Door County Again

Yes, the whole entire past was a huge monolith of gloriousness. Has she even *read* a lot of Dickens? There's a lot of ugliness shown in his novels, which is the entire point of his having written them. Louisa May Alcott showed cozy family life in "Little Women," but also wrote a lot of more daring content designed for adults. (In "Jo's Boys," the third book of the Little Women trilogy, there's a coeducational college and a female character who turns down marriage to become a doctor--don't tell Lori or she'll have a stroke!)

In a FB group, one commenter who's read a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder talked about the really scary parts of the Ingalls family's life.

I've also read that many colonial church records indicate that lots of brides were pregnant when they got married (when wedding and birth dates were compared).

When I visited the Tenement Museum in NYC (which reflects city life as far back as the 1880s), I learned that newspapers back then used to have ads in which desperate women searched for the husbands who had abandoned their families. It was a pretty common occurrence.

Oh, and Lori?  Read Russell Baker's memoir "Growing Up," about his childhood during the Depression, in which his widowed mother had to give her baby away to a relative to raise.

According to Lori, nobody had premarital sex in the Good Old Days, and, if they did, they were considered Bad and Everybody Hated Them.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 12

59 minutes ago, Hane said:

Yes, the whole entire past was a huge monolith of gloriousness. Has she even *read* a lot of Dickens? There's a lot of ugliness shown in his novels, which is the entire point of his having written them. Louisa May Alcott showed cozy family life in "Little Women," but also wrote a lot of more daring content designed for adults. (In "Jo's Boys," the third book of the Little Women trilogy, there's a coeducational college and a female character who turns down marriage to become a doctor--don't tell Lori or she'll have a stroke!)

In a FB group, one commenter who's read a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder talked about the really scary parts of the Ingalls family's life.

I've also read that many colonial church records indicate that lots of brides were pregnant when they got married (when wedding and birth dates were compared).

When I visited the Tenement Museum in NYC (which reflects city life as far back as the 1880s), I learned that newspapers back then used to have ads in which desperate women searched for the husbands who had abandoned their families. It was a pretty common occurrence.

Oh, and Lori?  Read Russell Baker's memoir "Growing Up," about his childhood during the Depression, in which his widowed mother had to give her baby away to a relative to raise.

According to Lori, nobody had premarital sex in the Good Old Days, and, if they did, they were considered Bad and Everybody Hated Them.

One of my college history professors specialized in American religious history. His favorite statistic was that 1 in 4 Puritan firstborn babies were born less than 9 months after their parents' marriage. In an era with no NICUs. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1

is Lori's twitter account gone? I'm blocked (for at least a year or more) so I would just view from a different browser/not signed into my account (so i can view but not comment) and today I'm getting messages the account no longer exists? Anyone else getting that? Has she given up Twitter for Parler for good?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SongRed7 said:

is Lori's twitter account gone? I'm blocked (for at least a year or more) so I would just view from a different browser/not signed into my account (so i can view but not comment) and today I'm getting messages the account no longer exists? Anyone else getting that? Has she given up Twitter for Parler for good?

Apparently she's changed her name on Twitter to @TheTransformedW, according to someone on Facebook. I've been banned from her Twitter for so long I have no idea what it was before that, but surely it was something very close. I wonder why she changed it?

• Upvote 4

I read one of Thomas Hardy’s books,  Tess of the d'Urbervilles for a college class. The class was something along the lines of Domestic conflict in the 19th century novel. It was literally one of the most depressing books I have ever read. *spoiler* It started with the rape of the main character, who is later abandoned by the man she loved because she wasn’t “pure”. She is then killed for having murdered her rapist after he reels her back in by paying off some family debts. Her one true love then marries her sister. The professor let of “rewrite” the novel as an exercise because it was so sad. Those glories days am I right? And the rest of the novels we read were also horribly sad. 

We often look at the past with rose colored glass but we miss all the crap that went on. Things weren’t better, they were just more hidden. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Tuesday, when I got home from work, I tried a new recipe for dinner. 
 Just saying. It’s possible to go to work and cook. Even in the same day. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Oh hell no. She is eyeball deep in the Kamala bashing today. I find it hilarious that, after Trump’s sociopathic performance last week, she declared that he was a fighter, not a debater, and she loved what he stood for. Today she’s saying that Pence was classy and effective.  A commenter mentioned Kamala’s facial expressions.  I saw a video today of Trump’s twisted face in last week’s debate...girlfriend has a long way to go to come close to topping that. 

Now she’s on to the “Vote as your husband does” thing. Actually, I’m very happy to tell her that I will be, and we’re both voting D down the line. How’s that for submissiveness?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11

15 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Tuesday, when I got home from work, I tried a new recipe for dinner. 
 Just saying. It’s possible to go to work and cook. Even in the same day. 

Haha right? I often make two-three meals in a night for meal prep when I can’t do it over the weekend. That’s my plan for tonight. And it’s pretty much from scratch too. I don’t actually keep a ton of ready to eat foods in the house which is a problem on lazy days lol. Most meals I’ve run into that aren’t on the crock pot usually only take about 40 mins to cook. 

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

Now she’s on to the “Vote as your husband does” thing. Actually, I’m very happy to tell her that I will be, and we’re both voting D down the line. How’s that for submissiveness?

If I had a husband, I'd be voting the same way as him, too. 

Because I can't imagine tolerating anyone who would vote R, especially for Trump, much longer than necessary. That's a for sure dealbreaker for me.

Due to submissiveness? Nope. Not happening.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

On 10/9/2020 at 11:40 AM, Sarah92 said:

Haha right? I often make two-three meals in a night for meal prep when I can’t do it over the weekend. That’s my plan for tonight. And it’s pretty much from scratch too. I don’t actually keep a ton of ready to eat foods in the house which is a problem on lazy days lol. Most meals I’ve run into that aren’t on the crock pot usually only take about 40 mins to cook. 

I actually plan so that we eat most things two nights in a row. Tuesday's new recipe was Spicy shrimp and tomato pasta. It took about 20 minutes and was planned to be enough for Wednesday since we had to be at church to teach at 6:30 that night. 

When it's cold, I do a big pot of soup roughly three times a week and we eat each one until it's gone. If I'm working, one might go in the crockpot. All the chopping and such is done the night before so I can throw it in quickly in the morning. 

It doesn't have to take hours to do this stuff. And the woman in the blog saying she has to stay at home to cook dinner is apparently newly married and literally only cooking for two people. Give me a break. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 10/7/2020 at 1:29 PM, louisa05 said:

Just came to say that today, Lori proves that she is not at all well read and has never read Dickens[...]

I doubt she has even heard of Great Expectations. She's ridiculous. And if you point out all the classic (and non classic literature) that she hasn't read, she'd probably say something like "well, I don't need to read that nonsense, I have the bible." 

When someone points out that the Bible doesn't say the things she think it says, she just gets angry and deflects. I wonder what and when the last time she actually read a book even was. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I doubt she has even heard of Great Expectations. She's ridiculous. And if you point out all the classic (and non classic literature) that she hasn't read, she'd probably say something like "well, I don't need to read that nonsense, I have the bible." 

When someone points out that the Bible doesn't say the things she think it says, she just gets angry and deflects. I wonder what and when the last time she actually read a book even was. 

When she read Debi Pearl. If she even read the whole thing. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

It doesn't have to take hours to do this stuff. And the woman in the blog saying she has to stay at home to cook dinner is apparently newly married and literally only cooking for two people. Give me a break. 

I wonder if these people are suffering from undiagnosed depression or chronic fatigue syndrome. That's the only excuse I can have for them to act like getting up, doing basic household chores, and nothing else all day is the hardest thing on earth. I mean, I get it - chores sometimes suck. I hate cleaning the bathroom. I enjoy cooking, but I don't always want to do it. So sometimes I might skip a week of meal prep and just plan to go out to lunch (pre-covid, when I was employed). But to act like running a vacuum and making a bed and folding laundry for two people is an all encompassing task makes me wonder what is wrong with you. 

Spoiler

lori.PNG.814be708ce523accc4cbecc8bc4b5c32.PNG

I wonder what her husband does? Her daily tasks appear to take all of 90 or so minutes. What does she do the rest of the day? 

• Upvote 8

53 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Her daily tasks appear to take all of 90 or so minutes. What does she do the rest of the day? 

I cannot imagine. Read Lori and her ilk? Look at Pinterest? Try out new make-up tips? Look up recipes?  Polish the silver? Wax the floors? Varnish the driveway? Re-roof the house?

There is just Mr Dress and I and my Saturday morning cleaning takes 90 minutes at the most and that includes scrubbing the bathrooms and mopping the bathroom and kitchen floors. Now deep Spring and Fall cleaning takes longer because there is woodwork washing, curtain washing and major de-cluttering.  But ... Mr Dress and I do it together ... so maybe 2.5 - 3 hours tops on a Saturday morning twice a year 

Dinner is max 30-60 minutes depending on what I cook -- from scratch I might add.  I also have a full-time job -- WFH for the past 6 months. But even with that, I too have energy to enjoy Mr Dress' return home at the end of the day -- i.e., when he emerges from his home office where he does WFH.

I have always worked -- in summers in college, in grad school, after graduation, during my single life, after marriage.  It was never a question of my not working.  At the same time I love to cook, do creative things around the house, sewing and needlework, do decor, make wreaths and arrangements, etc. I do realize being child-free gives me more time.

But what Lazy Lori will never fathom -- because she's so damn lazy -- is that it's possible to give your all to a job, finish for the day, and then give your all to your home/ marriage/ husband/ family. But that requires a husband who is a partner, an equal partner. Each of you giving 100%.

If the only men out there were the "godly" men Lori pushes and is so enamored with on her FB -- the ones who expect a wife to do everything and be totally submissive --  I'd be single FOREVER.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

On 9/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, louisa05 said:

I am so sick of Lori describing teachers and child care providers as “strangers”. We see these kids five days a week for 36 weeks out of the year. A lot of teachers do multiple grade levels and see kids more than one year. We care about them and watch them grow. Most of us live in the community we work in and are part of community events, churches and groups. We are not strangers to your children. 

And I've been at that point in my career for several years now where I have children of former students.  It's fun when that happens and I think kids feel even more connected to me because of it.  I've never had a kid say his parent hated me as a teacher anyway!  Most have good memories and their kids are always on their best behavior because there's a connection.   But Lori the ex-teacher (hahaha) hasn't stayed with anything long enough to understand relationships and community.  I highly doubt that her church community feels connected to her and her know-it-all spouse.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

On 10/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, Loveday said:

And the musical Oliver!

Lori sings of her devotion to her man, and her cherished beliefs:

As long as he feeds me,
I know where I must be,
Cling parasitically,
As long as he feeds me!

As long as I can post,
I’ll let him be my host.
That butter on my toast,
Ain’t cheap, Ken must feed me.

While walking beaches, we see some butts,
And I imagine I’m spanking sluts!

Ten minutes, and some lube,
Squeezed from a flattened tube,
Perhaps I’ll flash a boob,
As long as he feeds me!

The modern woman invented sin!
The past was better, Dickensian!

I have so much to do,
Re-reading Titus 2.
Ken gets his weekly screw,
As long as he feeds me!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Lori sings of her devotion to her man, and her cherished beliefs:

As long as he feeds me,
I know where I must be,
Cling parasitically,
As long as he feeds me!

As long as I can post,
I’ll let him be my host.
That butter on my toast,
Ain’t cheap, Ken must feed me.

While walking beaches, we see some butts,
And I imagine I’m spanking sluts!

Ten minutes, and some lube,
Squeezed from a flattened tube,
Perhaps I’ll flash a boob,
As long as he feeds me!

The modern woman invented sin!
The past was better, Dickensian!

I have so much to do,
Re-reading Titus 2.
Ken gets his weekly screw,
As long as he feeds me!

:clap: :laughing-rolling: :bow-yellow: :laughing-rolling: :clap:

(One of those times I wish we could hit more than one reaction for a fabulous post!)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Whelp I’m officially without a potential headship again lol. Broke up with the guy I’ve been dating for a year and a half. Couldn’t get past an amazing lack of emotional availability and saying that we should have opened the country back up in April because the average age of those dying is 75 or so and they’ve lived their life. Geez I’d rather my grandma not be killed by this horrible virus thank you. 

Anyways, now that I’m once again a single feminist I’m pondering my prospects of getting a cat. Now that I’m 28 I think it’s time to turn up the cat lady vibes. Too bad I rent a home that doesn’t allow animals. 

But Lori’s posts about the good old days made me reflect on my current life position and has made me even more thankful that I live in the modern world. I’d be screwed lol. 

I plan on cleaning my townhouse tomorrow and setting up my fall decor. Even cleaning pretty much my entire place (deep cleaning not included) will only take roughly an hour and a half. And then I’ll cook a couple of meals  for next week which will take another hour and a half. Certainly not the whole day. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 14

8 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Anyways, now that I’m once again a single feminist I’m pondering my prospects of getting a cat. Now that I’m 28 I think it’s time to turn up the cat lady vibes. Too bad I rent a home that doesn’t allow animals. 

We have separate stores for alcohol, but I do so love going to the store for cat food, wine, and chocolate. Straight, in a relationship, cat lady here. Highly recommend. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

We have separate stores for alcohol, but I do so love going to the store for cat food, wine, and chocolate. Straight, in a relationship, cat lady here. Highly recommend. 

Until I can fulfill my dream of having an animal I’ll have to stick with chocolate and wine haha. 

• Upvote 7

Dark chocolate  (70% cocoa) and a full bodied red. I recommend a red from South America.  Or dark chocolate and ruby port-- very nice as an after-dinner treat. 

Pre-dinner try salted almonds and green olives with a dry sherry (a fino).

Always treat and toast yourself for your remarkable good sense in shedding the completely unsuitable potential headship.  

We need t-shirts -- "Better Single that Submissive"

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I wonder if these people are suffering from undiagnosed depression or chronic fatigue syndrome. That's the only excuse I can have for them to act like getting up, doing basic household chores, and nothing else all day is the hardest thing on earth. I mean, I get it - chores sometimes suck. I hate cleaning the bathroom. I enjoy cooking, but I don't always want to do it. So sometimes I might skip a week of meal prep and just plan to go out to lunch (pre-covid, when I was employed). But to act like running a vacuum and making a bed and folding laundry for two people is an all encompassing task makes me wonder what is wrong with you. 

I agree. I'm on meds for depression (though I think there's an ADHD component as well) and frankly I cannot currently get much of anything done at my house. I'm keeping up at work, but home? Paralyzed by how much needs to be done. It's gotten ridiculous. Cooking is just not happening at all. (Microwaving simple stuff, that I can do. So that's what I do.) Even stuff I want to do, I just can't get it together enough to make it happen. 

Basically EVERYTHING seems to take forever and require tons of psyching myself up to do it. 

But, I get that this is my own issue, and try not to project it onto other people. And if there was somebody else living in this house? I'd absolutely expect them to contribute to the labor required to keep up the house.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 15

How dare Kamala suggest that girls can succeed! Because that's an evil feminist agenda!! 

Seriously, that post doesn't even define success. Because feminism lets women define that for themselves. Lori is an idiot. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

I truly believe that Lori lives in the past because her present life is still so miserable. All these fundies using modern day social media are missing an important point, no? Social media! And when I put a chicken in a crockpot or a potato in an oven, I’m fairly sure the food doesn’t  know or care if I did it lovingly. My mom stayed home and hated her life. I graduated from university, worked part-time and was so happy to be able to be home when the kids were home from school. My grandson’s mom is a fully tenured professor and amazes me every day how she manages to do what she does. Those boys are so loved, by everyone. There are oodles of support systems in place so they never fall thru any cracks. Life changes; people are at different stages in their family development. Instead of berating and tsking someone for how they are managing, offer a hand of support or acknowledgement. You might learn something. And dear God, please don’t rely on the Bible to justify your birth control shenanigans, female submissiveness or child disciplinary actions.  Your brain, your heart, your logic. You are responsible for what you do. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I agree. I'm on meds for depression (though I think there's an ADHD component as well) and frankly I cannot currently get much of anything done at my house. I'm keeping up at work, but home? Paralyzed by how much needs to be done. It's gotten ridiculous. Cooking is just not happening at all. (Microwaving simple stuff, that I can do. So that's what I do.) Even stuff I want to do, I just can't get it together enough to make it happen. 

Basically EVERYTHING seems to take forever and require tons of psyching myself up to do it. 

But, I get that this is my own issue, and try not to project it onto other people. And if there was somebody else living in this house? I'd absolutely expect them to contribute to the labor required to keep up the house.

Taking off therapist hat (legally have to) and putting on psych hat. This sounds like some potential issues with executive functioning which is common in ADHD and it seems depression but I haven’t read much on the depression part. But it makes it difficult to accomplish tasks. Sometimes it’s a matter of simplifying tasks as much as possible such as using paper plates; having a clean basket for clothes and a dirty so You don’t have to worry about putting clothes away. Microwave meals is a good example. Or setting timers to clean for short bursts of time. It doesn’t matter how long it actually will take to clean the brain says it’s too long. Tbh I honestly struggle with this sometimes too, probably doing a months load of laundry right now. 

Sorry if I therapistsplained that. I know not everyone likes someone to jump in like that. I just relate lol. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic