IGNORED

Mortons 3: Exclusively on Instagram! (I miss Addie’s blogging)

nelliebelle1197

Most large families split into informal social groups based on birth order, gender, or both. These can be highly transitory during childhood and adolescence, but tend to formalize towards adulthood. Adeline is the 6th child, right at the center of the brood. I think she always considered herself to be one of the "grown" children, and when her elder siblings began to marry, she developed fast friendships with their wives. It makes a lot of sense that she'd see these women as her friends, and perhaps feel a closer connection to their children. especially since she helped raise them. 

I think she just doesn't have the sense of seeing the wives of her younger brothers as contemporaries. They are all women whom she knew as very small children, and she's been transparent about how she continues to see the Campana sisters in particular as the little girls that they were for so many years. However, newlywed Addie at 29 is now far closer to the life experience of Campbell (aged 23, married two years with no kids) than she is to Rachel (aged 31, married for 13 years with 7 living children). Perhaps things would have shifted if she'd remained on the Morton compound, but by moving off-site, she's unlikely to change her sense of allegiance to that older generation of SIL's. The only thing that I could see changing this is if she and Michael move back in with her family, or if she and Campbell get pregnant at the same time. That kind of unique shared experience would certainly encourage a closer relationship. 

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Most large families split into informal social groups based on birth order, gender, or both. These can be highly transitory during childhood and adolescence, but tend to formalize towards adulthood. Adeline is the 6th child, right at the center of the brood. I think she always considered herself to be one of the "grown" children, and when her elder siblings began to marry, she developed fast friendships with their wives. It makes a lot of sense that she'd see these women as her friends, and perhaps feel a closer connection to their children. especially since she helped raise them. 

I think she just doesn't have the sense of seeing the wives of her younger brothers as contemporaries. They are all women whom she knew as very small children, and she's been transparent about how she continues to see the Campana sisters in particular as the little girls that they were for so many years. However, newlywed Addie at 29 is now far closer to the life experience of Campbell (aged 23, married two years with no kids) than she is to Rachel (aged 31, married for 13 years with 7 living children). Perhaps things would have shifted if she'd remained on the Morton compound, but by moving off-site, she's unlikely to change her sense of allegiance to that older generation of SIL's. The only thing that I could see changing this is if she and Michael move back in with her family, or if she and Campbell get pregnant at the same time. That kind of unique shared experience would certainly encourage a closer relationship. 

I think you're probably right, but on the other hand, I'm late 20's like Addie, and also behind my friends on a bunch of measures, and I'd still rather hang out with them than someone six years younger who's in a similar place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and  now Addie's married - there's no pang of envy. The younger Morton SIL's seem very different from Addie, and I think between them is technically the line that separates Millennials and Gen Z - however much that applies to fundies. 

Edited by wendy-sparkles
  • Upvote 4

On 10/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, wendy-sparkles said:

I think you're probably right, but on the other hand, I'm late 20's like Addie, and also behind my friends on a bunch of measures, and I'd still rather hang out with them than someone six years younger who's in a similar place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and  now Addie's married - there's no pang of envy. The younger Morton SIL's seem very different from Addie, and I think between them is technically the line that separates Millennials and Gen Z - however much that applies to fundies. 

Yes, definitely. In my early 40s with a preschooler I'm late to the party in a lot of ways but I would definitely rather hang out with other 40something parents even if their kids are all teenagers than a 23-year-old who acts like her life experience is bigger and better than mine because she's pushed more babies out already.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Martha wrote a happy anniversary post that admitted that marriage is hard. She has occasionally made other posts recently that indicated cracks. She posted a picture of make up flowers a couple of weeks ago.  She has had a few other comments as well. Very unusual in their world.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

Martha has a lot more free time to learn and develop as a person with her single child compared to most Morton wives. Maybe that’s lead to more growth as a person/personality? 

Campbell made her Instagram private. I wonder if she’s sharing anything interesting. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Noquiver said:

Campbell made her Instagram private. I wonder if she’s sharing anything interesting. 

She hasn't posted in three weeks.

• Upvote 1

John posted a celebratory post about the rammed through confirmation of Barrett. 

They're so steeped in the tRump worship they toss everything else they preach aside. A woman judge! Kids at home but her at work! She's Catholic, so not a perfect, saved kristchen! But, she's a tRump minion, so "yay". 

I guess they're not interested in the biblical concept that you can't worship two masters. tRump has their souls and they don't care who knows it. 

I am so grateful I am not a Morton. The world world is totally insane right now, but I am glad I live in it. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The Morton boys are upping their tRump game. Apparently Edwin has followed cult direction and has a giant tRump flag on his truck and it makes his big brother John proud. 

They really couldn't get any worse, could they? 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 2

19 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

They really couldn't get any worse, could they? 

I'd like to think so but won't bet against it. 

We're talking about families whose single redeeming character trait seems to be supporting their sister/sister-in-law after her father-arranged marriage to a pedophile collapsed, leaving her to care for many small children by herself. If the S'Mortons have done or said something else that's good, I don't know what it is.

So, no, not betting against more and worse to come, and certainly not holding my breath.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

I'm hoping that Biden wins, puts 2 more justices on the supreme court and then gets through legislation guaranteeing access to abortion and birth control for all.  And that the Mortons all flee to Paraguay in disgust. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, JMO said:

I'm hoping that Biden wins, puts 2 more justices on the supreme court and then gets through legislation guaranteeing access to abortion and birth control for all. And that the Mortons all flee to Paraguay in disgust. 

From your keyboard to the FSM's noodly ears, though I'd prefer to see SCOTUS expanded to 15 seats, all of them filled with liberals.

Re: the rest of the Mortons fleeing to Paraguay. That would be great and certainly no loss to the US. Would Paraguay take them all?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I'm hoping that Biden wins, puts 2 more justices on the supreme court and then gets through legislation guaranteeing access to abortion and birth control for all.  And that the Mortons all flee to Paraguay in disgust. 

Man, there are so many reasons that a Biden win would be days of celebrating. This would just be icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I'd love if Biden did something like that, but he didn't even speak out against Amy Coney Barrett as a SCOTUS nominee - I'm not holding my breath. I only wish Biden was half as progressive as conservatives seem to be afraid that he is.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

13 hours ago, dramallama said:

I'd love if Biden did something like that, but he didn't even speak out against Amy Coney Barrett as a SCOTUS nominee - I'm not holding my breath. I only wish Biden was half as progressive as conservatives seem to be afraid that he is.

This. So much this! Biden is not my choice. He was never on my list of choices. But, he is the DNC choice and I have no problem going with him because in my opinion, there is no choice but to do so. I don't hate him, I just do not believe he is as progressive - or radically liberal - as I would like out POTUS to be. I was over the moon when he chose Kamala - she was one of my top 2 choices way back when - but overall, Biden is merely the way out of tRump hell and nothing more. My personal hope is that when he called himself the "transition" everyone took/takes it seriously and there is a plan for 2024 for a truly, honestly progressive candidate. 

• Upvote 7

Yeah, I voted for Biden because I live in a swing state with a razor thin margin in the polls, but the only major candidate I preferred LESS than Biden in the primaries was Bloomberg.  Bernie and Warren were my top 2. My biggest fear is that Trump was the dire warning - he so desperately wants to be an authoritarian but he's not that great at it because 1) he's a blithering idiot and 2) his overt narcissism gets in the way - but if Biden keeps his promise to not fundamentally change anything and all the liberals and Democrats just go back to brunch if he's elected and pretend that our problems are all solved, in 4 or 8 years maybe we end up with an intelligent, less easily distracted fascist who is more effective than Trump could ever dream of being. 

Trump is like a glaring, painful symptom of a much deeper disease.  Cutting him out is the first, and a very important, step, but if you don't treat the root of the problem - the broken system that gave us Trump in the first place - he's going to keep coming back.  We have to keep protesting, keep fighting, bully Biden as much as possible to push him to adopt positions or advance changes that he might not otherwise be inclined to do - or we're going to wind up with something even worse than Trump.

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

On 10/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, dramallama said:

Conservatives aren't scarred of Biden being too progressive, they know he's a puppet. There afraid that after a year he'll resign and Kamala "the Radical" will become president.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, raayx01 said:

Conservatives aren't scarred of Biden being too progressive, they know he's a puppet. There afraid that after a year he'll resign and Kamala "the Radical" will become president.

In what universe is Kamala Harris not just another center-right corporate-loving establishment Democrat just like Biden?  I'd like to live there.  ???

In any other Western country they'd both be members of the conservative party.  American right-wingers are a unique brand of paranoid crazy, that's for sure.

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, raayx01 said:

In my dream world that is exactly what would happen. I know all the reasons it wouldn't be a great decision, but I'm tRump fatigued and would get a whole part of my soul back if the Dems did a switch up just to piss off the GOP and started playing hard ball, good, bad or otherwise.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I've heard that conservative conspiracy theory from a libertarian friend.  They believe it to be an obvious truth that Biden has openly acknowledged.  So bizarre.   Yet conservatives routinely disregard the nonsense totalitarian loving shit that Trump says openly.  

• Upvote 4

I mean these were the same people screaming about Obama's FEMA death camps and death panels and taking every gun in the country, and called him a RaDiCaL lEfTiSt despite him governing more like a moderate Republican (you know, back when those existed)...reality-based thinking is not a strong point.

Edited by dramallama
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Hoping, of course, that GA goes blue, but it would be especially enjoyable given this (from Martha's IG stories):

1782087386_MortonMAGAFilth.thumb.jpg.1d7379b8b94431355b536f945d2c64bb.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Georgia going blue and making the Mortons cry, Arizona going blue and making Steve and Zsu cry, Texas going blue and making GirlDefined cry...these are my most fervent hopes for Tuesday.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Just now, dramallama said:

Georgia going blue and making the Mortons cry, Arizona going blue and making Steve and Zsu cry, Texas going blue and making GirlDefined cry...these are my most fervent hopes for Tuesday.

From your keyboard to the FSM's noodly ears!

• Upvote 8

Ha! I had these same thoughts. I would, for the nation's / world / humanity's sake be relieved & ecstatic if Biden wins. But the added perk to that scenario would be knowing the Mortons are crying out to their god and their arrogant ignorance would be dealt a huge blow. And that, as much as I hate to admit I have such negative feelings, would be epic cherries on top! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Oh, I know how petty this is - but John's latest IG story was sandwiched between others I follow - Kamala Harris first and Sean Maguire after. 

For those who don't know, Sean Maguire played Robin Hood on Once Upon a Time. He just became a citizen, like, mere weeks ago. He went from citizenship ceremony to voting registration. He is huge into voting and, voting against tRump. He's one of my idols as far as human beings go. 

I'm not typically a fan of "celebrities" but I am a fan of good humans. 

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic