IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 8: Vlogging On YouTube

GreyhoundFan

Posted a new video of Easter weekend. Went to stay with Evan's family. Did a count of every time Evan mentioned his childhood at the park where he played at. Gave Layla her basket for Easter. I think they got her a normal swimsuit for the summer. Said it is fun to do baskets and stuff for the kids but wanted to remind people of the true meaning of Easter.? Showed footage from the church they went to. Was packed of course. I bet no one was wearing a mask. It was dark for the audience b/c the footage they show is from the play the kids are putting on a play so you really can't tell. Went to his sister's for an Easter egg hunt.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Another picture of Layla as half-naked hippy baby, while everyone in the background of the picture is wearing long-sleeved shirts. This was at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville. If it was taken in the last couple of days, the temperature was 75 degrees F (23.8 C) at the max, and very possibly more like 70 F (21 C)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNnInZJB74o/

image.png.947ffe370c1b8059acb9ce75d09ecbc7.png

• Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 4

Layla is always half-dressed (and dressed inappropriately for the occasion). It’s really strange. 

Whatever Carlin is trying, she is not nailing it. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 14

Ok weird comment but Evan’s butt looks... funny. He should take cues from Thicc Daddy Joe on how to have your butt look fabulous in pictures ??

Spoiler

6F884A7E-9FD6-4B84-BD92-23E88B0D06E7.thumb.jpeg.db0db80d65fd30e842aade7aee7cd1c9.jpeg

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Ok weird comment but Evan’s butt looks... funny. He should take cues from Thicc Daddy Joe on how to have your butt look fabulous in pictures ??

I think his phone is pulling his pants down, which is creating a weird, saggy crease. And now I've officially spent more time looking at Evan's butt than I ever wanted to...

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 3

Re Layla always half naked. Don’t they give a shit about skin cancer. Fml cover your kid up as much as weather possible. Put a shirt on that kid. There will be enough sun exposure on the bits you don’t cover let alone the bits you can. Plus it looks pretty fucking stupid. Put a T-shirt on that kid. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Re Layla always half naked. Don’t they give a shit about skin cancer. Fml, cover your kid up as much as weather possible. Put a shirt on that kid. There will be enough sun exposure on the bits you don’t cover let alone the bits you can. Plus it looks pretty fucking stupid. Put a T-shirt on that kid. 

You know till now I was mostly thinking about being cold or not being appropriately dressed for the occasion, plus it seems to me that Layla is always wearing the same thing (that white/beige/neutral overall) but you are right about solar protection especially for such a young kid. Generally, my rules for dressing babies are to dress them how you dress and bring a spare, just in case. So if I have a jacket and long sleeves t-shirt put something similar on the child. 

Carlin should know how to dress a child she has a long line of younger siblings 

I'm really annoyed by her and the constant high pitched voice I have to watch her sm content in mute  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

And not just that, Carlin and Evan are in the lucky situation that they have lots of people they can ask for advice.

Many young mums feel isolated and don’t know who they can turn to when they’re uncertain about something, but with quite a few married sisters in Carlin’s family and both sets of parents/in-laws (Kelly and Gil on the one and Evan’s parents on the other side) still being rather young and fit, they could seek some advice from people they trust and who are close to them. Still, they seem to wing things. 

• Upvote 10

See and this is an area where I think mega families fall short. Out of necessity they take short cuts and take the easy way in everything ( health, child care, cleaning, safety, cooking, education...), so their adult kids don’t really learn or know the proper/traditional/mainstream/professionally encouraged  way to do most things. Remember Jill’s car seat hack?  Too many is too many, period. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

Everything is a photo opportunity for her. They have to match for everything just in case they do a photoshoot. I remember the episode when she and Evan were getting their marriage license. In addition to not knowing her parents' actual names and her own social security number, she was asking Evan why he was wearing something that didn't match her own outfit. Because of pictures...

It is one thing to dress a baby lightly during a heatwave of summer when the AC on full blast and fans are doing nothing to cool you down. The temps are not that high in Asheville right now (trending in the 60s toward 70s). Biltmore is drafty. I remember going there the first time when I was in middle school. It was freaking July. Outside it was hot. Inside I was shivering.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Everything is a photo opportunity for her. They have to match for everything just in case they do a photoshoot. I remember the episode when she and Evan were getting their marriage license. In addition to not knowing her parents' actual names and her own social security number, she was asking Evan why he was wearing something that didn't match her own outfit. Because of pictures...

OMG she didn't know her social security number???

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

But her siblings were never allowed to wear anything but uber modest. I applaud her for not sexualizing Layla by insisting that she be covered neck to knee but I think she has gone a little too far the other direction out of ignorance. Even needing sunblock can be a new experience. 

• Upvote 15

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It is not surprising, considering she was very young and had never been employed. But not knowing her parent's names? Excuse me?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

She didn't know that her father's first name wasn't Gil (his middle name is Gilven?) and thought her mother might not be named Kelly Jo. She didn't know if her father was born in Tennessee or not. Then the woman at the counter asked for their social security numbers and she had to look hers up on her phone. Then she started commenting on how it was so hard to remember so many numbers and how she didn't know how people did it.

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 9
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She didn't know that her father's first name wasn't Gil (his middle name is Gilven?) and thought her mother might not be named Kelly Jo. She didn't know if her father was born in Tennessee or not. 

Wow. Yet fundy Christians are always crowing about THEY cherish family, traditions, (white) American history, respecting their elders, etc. more than us heathens.

One would think a family-centric fundy maiden would know what freaking state her father was born in.

Also, this makes me think that Carlin is going to have a hell of time in the future setting up  answers to security questions for websites and financial accounts: : )

Common questions are:

What is your mother's maiden name?

Where was your maternal grandmother's first name?

What city was your father born in?

What was the name of your favorite  high school teacher. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Wow. Yet fundy Christians are always crowing about THEY cherish family, traditions, (white) American history, respecting their elders, etc. more than us heathens.

One would think a family-centric fundy maiden would know what freaking state her father was born in.

Also, this makes me think that Carlin is going to have a hell of time in the future setting up  answers to security questions for websites and financial accounts: : )

Common questions are:

What is your mother's maiden name?

Where was your maternal grandmother's first name?

What city was your father born in?

What was the name of your favorite  high school teacher. ?

And on a less funny note, she is going to make Alyssa look like a genius on the homeschooling front.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

I've had trouble with those damn security questions. They also don't seem that secure considering they're things might know or guess about me. For example, my mom uses her maiden name quite a bit.

Gil Bates's full name is William Gilvin Bates. His middle name is Gilvin which is also Zach's middle name and Bradley's middle name. Lawson's full name is William Lawson Bates.

I think not knowing the full name shows the informality of the family. They don't really use their full names often.

I agree it's odd, but not that Carlin is necessarily stupid for not knowing this stuff.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I've had trouble with those damn security questions. They also don't seem that secure considering they're things might know or guess about me. For example, my mom uses her maiden name quite a bit.

Gil Bates's full name is William Gilvin Bates. His middle name is Gilvin which is also Zach's middle name and Bradley's middle name. Lawson's full name is William Lawson Bates.

I think not knowing the full name shows the informality of the family. They don't really use their full names often.

I agree it's odd, but not that Carlin is necessarily stupid for not knowing this stuff.

This on top of lots of other things indicate that she is not too bright.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I think people often conflate lack of education with lack of intelligence. It's really hard to say how smart any of the Bateses are because they are all hamstrung by their total lack of education and life experience.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

To me it speaks to her self-centered nature more than it speaks to a lack of intelligence. She's not incapable of learning. Yes, she giggles and loves to play stupid to look cute, but that aside she just doesn't seem to have any interest in anything that isn't about her. Originally what struck me about the segment was that she was concerned with matching her outfit to Evan's more than actually getting the license. Maybe Gil and Kelly Jo didn't share that much about themselves with the kids (though they certainly do on camera). Maybe Carlin was confused by the question about her mom's name and thought it was about the maiden name (hence did it change?). However, she also had to look to her father to confirm that she (Carlin) was born in Tennessee. This was all after Evan had just answered the questions about himself. Gil stood there next to Carlin and helped her on each one. 

I remember the segment because she seemed so immature in that moment with the giggling (not nervous) and the exasperation written on her face over the questions being asked. She even said that getting the license was a step closer to her becoming an adult. Working in government I get that people don't always know what they should to get permits, licenses, etc. I've been at the tag office when the woman ahead of me didn't know the make, model, or year of her car and seemed confused that they would not issue a tag for that "red one outside." At the time that aired, I remember people being shocked that Carlin knew none of the answers. NONE. It's not like they were even tough questions or that she grew up in circumstances where she didn't know her parents or something like that. It's not even like they were a surprise. Evan was asked first and rattled off his answers. She said, "I hope they don't ask me those questions because I don't know." 

None of the Bates (few exceptions) seem to pay attention to the world around them. Tori and Carlin don't realize they could have the blood clotting disorder issues despite having spoken on camera about what Erin was going through. Erin was pregnant with her fourth at the time Carlin was pregnant with her first. Carlin was confused and thought the shots were going to require that she go to the doctor one or more times a day. Carlin and Tori have been at multiple births for their mother and sisters (Carlin documenting these with camera) and couldn't comprehend how things worked in such situations. Not to mention neither seemed to ask until it was happening. Carlin has had numerous sisters and a brother go get their marriage license, but didn't ask a single one what that might include in terms question/payment/requirements. The anxiety of walking into situations and not being prepared would bother me. After all the talking head time about how it was just days before the wedding and how they should have already had it done, Carlin was more concerned that Evan's shirt wouldn't match her outfit - presumably for pictures. 

It probably also speaks to Gil and Kelly Jo's lack of individual attention with their children. I can't tell you the number of times growing up that I heard about when I was born or various other stories that relate to who they are and who I am. Kelly Jo and Erin like to use the phrase making memories, but there is a disconnect there somewhere. Maybe being raised by Michaela means they really don't know Kelly Jo and Gil. 

I just think there is something sad about her obsession with the pictures and making her husband and child look like a 1990s advertisement for khakis but seemingly never getting any deeper than that. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On the plus side, she can just Google the answer to most of these random security questions regarding her own family.  How many of us could do that? ?

For the social security number, there’s really no reason a young adult would have it memorized unless they’ve fill out a ton of work forms, and she clearly hasn’t. I don’t see the big deal. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

And on a less funny note, she is going to make Alyssa look like a genius on the homeschooling front.

Carlin got some kind of degree (in musical teaching I think? I may be wrong with that, I don't remember). In addition, she helped to homeschooling her siblings, so she has a bit of experience.

I don't think Carlin is dumb. Sadly, I think she tries to appear dumb because it makes her look funnier or sexy or whatever. In addition, I think she tries to appear always superhappy because she was told to fake emotions when she suffered depression and anxiety as a kid.

It is difficult to like Carlin, but she was a troubled kid who never got help and it is heartbreaking. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5

If as an adult you willingly and purposefully avoid intellectual curiosity to the point that you appear dull to others, you probably lack some degree of intellect. She didn’t know where she was born or her SS#? And her dad was present? I guess that worked in her favor.  I wonder why her parents thought she was ready for marriage and in their cult, parenthood? I wonder if she thought she had to know what hospital, room or bed she was born in? But if Evan went first, she should have been able to figure out what the question meant- ☹️

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If as an adult you willingly and purposefully avoid intellectual curiosity to the point that you appear dull to others, you probably lack some degree of intellect. She didn’t know where she was born or her SS#? And her dad was present? I guess that worked in her favor.  I wonder why her parents thought she was ready for marriage and in their cult, parenthood? I wonder if she thought she had to know what hospital, room or bed she was born in? But if Evan went first, she should have been able to figure out what the question meant- ☹️

The clerk asked Evan was he born in Tennessee. He said yes. She asked Carlin who said yes and then turned to Gil and asked if that was right. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Carlin got some kind of degree (in musical teaching I think? I may be wrong with that, I don't remember). In addition, she helped to homeschooling her siblings, so she has a bit of experience.

I don't think Carlin is dumb. Sadly, I think she tries to appear dumb because it makes her look funnier or sexy or whatever. In addition, I think she tries to appear always superhappy because she was told to fake emotions when she suffered depression and anxiety as a kid.

It is difficult to like Carlin, but she was a troubled kid who never got help and it is heartbreaking. 

She got a degree in interdisciplinary studies (which to me sounds like she just took whichever classes sounded easiest to collect enough credit to graduate).

I agree with @rebeccawriter01 in being constantly surprised by the Bateses' (and Duggars') ignorance concerning topics that they should be very familiar with. How can someone with a gazillion little sibling know so little about pregnancy/childbirth/...?!?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic