IGNORED

"Karens"

kpmom

This is not defending "Karen" behavior in the least, but I feel more and more that this "Karen" stuff has at least some misogyny thrown in.

Case in point; I just read a magazine article online by a male author regarding the couple who came out of their mansion to point guns at peaceful protesters in their neighborhood.  That couple is awful and deserved to be called out, but the author spent about 85% of the article talking about the female partner, and other "Karens".  What he wrote about the male partner almost felt like an afterthought.

Something along the lines of, oh and her husband is awful too.

In case you've forgotten, both partners held a weapon and both pointed their weapons toward the protesters.   The woman's weapon was a pistol (bad enough), but the guy's was a freakin' automatic weapon!  He mentioned the guy's polo shirt, but spent more time talking about the woman's stripped shirt and her capri pants (which he said are required apparel of Karens everywhere).

I get the feeling from the gist of these articles and memes is that most racist people are white, hysterical, screaming, usually middle aged, females.  We all know that's hardly the full reality.  It's not even the full reality in this particular instance.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

Can you link the article? I've seen so many Karens in the media lately I honestly don't know what you are talking about. 

• Upvote 2

I saw a post on Facebook that basically said "why ruin a perfectly good name?"  The post suggested that we should call them Ivankas.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 5

8 minutes ago, FunDeeLite said:

I saw a post on Facebook that basically said "why ruin a perfectly good name?"  The post suggested that we should call them Ivankas.

Seconded!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Can you link the article? I've seen so many Karens in the media lately I honestly don't know what you are talking about. 

It took me awhile to remember where I'd seen it, but here it is.  It's actually from the Washington Post.  I was able to read it free on my phone but I think this link requires you to sign in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/whos-the-most-galling-captivating-character-on-our-screens-this-summer-its-karen--and-shes-everywhere/2020/06/30/f806a64c-ba44-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html

Just wanted to add, even in the picture that goes along with the article, the woman is front and center.  Her automatic rifle toting hubby is so much in the background I didn't even notice him at first.

Edited by kpmom
  • Thank You 2

I already posted this elsewhere on this site ; but I will post it here too , as I feel that itit comprehensively sums up my take on the topic , as well .  

• Upvote 5

Working in seefast food and catering for 16 year's, I have encountered plenty of Karen's and they are not just female's, I am not talking about valid complaints. People expecting you to make limited edition menu products no longer in promotion to made especially for them. Complaining things that are available in a different country's franchise not being available here or wanting things we never have done because rival company does it, well go there then and stop annoying me. 

Edited by Glasgowghirl
Pressed send too soon
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

I worked in fast food for almost 10 years, and during the Lion King and Pokémon promotions at BK, when the kid’s meal toys would literally sell out in less than two hours on the day we received them(I believe that the entire national inventory of LK toys sold out completely in less than five weeks), we saw plenty of Kens and Karens.  We had to threaten to call the cops on one parent.

• Upvote 7

During the Beanie Bear craze my MIL would only buy us Happy Meals so she could have the freaking stuffy. She'd take back duplicates and try to swap them.

• Upvote 1

I hate all that Karen thing. Once you are a middle aged woman, you cannot complain without being labeled as a Karen. A lot of misoginy comes with it. Women must submit and shut up. Same old story.

Disclaimer: yes I know obnouxious people exist. People who complain as a hobby are jerks. But I'm concerned about the fact that only women are to blame. What a surprise. Not.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

I’m a bit uncomfortable with the Karen meme.  One of my fellow Iowa classmates has that name and while she’s a bit more conservative than I am she would never engage in this sort of behavior. She’s a good friend too that helped out so much in school.

Yes I don’t have a problem with calling them Ivankas instead. 

On 7/3/2020 at 9:37 PM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Ivanka 1939 model

F72B6AB5-04B5-4518-A326-8EE675CDCB1C.jpeg.55933355812195b7edc554edae6295c9.jpeg

Hey now that’s insulting to the wicked witch of the east! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

It's my understanding that "Karen" originally referred to a racist woman, usually white,  who called the police to complain about a Black person doing totally innocuous things, like walking their dog, sleeping in a college lounge, staying at an Air BnB, sitting on a park bench, swimming in a pool, just because they appeared "suspicious" to her.  Now it seems to be applied to ANY woman who voices her opinion. I made a comment on FB supporting mask-wearing, and was called a "Karen." Nothing to do with race, only wearing a mask to protect against the coronavirus. 

• Upvote 9

Oh yeah, there’s definitely more than a whiff of misogyny about the Karen thing.

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

What I find amusing is that anybody can be a karen now! If you are conservative, and a lady says something about wearing a mask (see above), she's labeled a karen. I also see karens be referred to as people who don't wear masks. Facebook comments are flooded with everyone calling everyone else a karen. And agree about the misogyny. 

• Upvote 7

On 7/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, FunDeeLite said:

I am TOTALLY on board with that, or ANY other names. I HATE that they use my name

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, calliopecassandra said:

I am TOTALLY on board with that, or ANY other names. I HATE that they use my name

I wonder when this is all done how many people will want to name their children Donald. Like so many other things Fuckmuppet von #BunkerBitch might ruin the name Donald and make it as popular a name as Adolf is now after WWII. 

1 minute ago, 47of74 said:

I wonder when this is all done how many people will want to name their children Donald. Like so many other things Fuckmuppet von #BunkerBitch might ruin the name Donald and make it as popular a name as Adolf is now after WWII. 

I love that name for him!! I have a fb friend who comes up with different names for him often. I think one part of one was Von Fuckstick

• Upvote 1

Agreed. If someone is caught on camera being racist, we should call them racist, not Karen.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who works in fast food I certainly wouldn't call anyone with an actual valid complaint a Karen, while some of the meme's are funny specially cos Kate Gosselin is one of the people most used in the meme's I do see a point that some women, specifically middle aged may feel worried about complaining about something because they may get called a Karen. 

• Upvote 5