IGNORED

Political Ads

fraurosena

17 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I've got some sand in my eye now.  Even though I prefer the original pledge and not the 1950's version.  I just have an issue with under God in there since it's an endorsement of religion.    

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Fred's Failure:

• Upvote 9

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I think this is one of the least effective ads I've watched:  Used footage, a song about white boys with money playing against incendiary imagery, no acknowledgement that I could see of the millions of folks - black, white, and everyone else - who don't feel especially aligned (or aligned at all) with protestors or white nationalism, but who also have opinions and votes to cast.  Aren't they the ones who need to be reached with a message they can relate to?  What's being said here other than that there are some very bad people, others who are very pissed off, and that now is the time to really worry?  It has been time to worry for over four years and people are worried.  I just don't get what this ad expects to accomplish other than to accentuate existing divisions that I believe anyone who isn't living under a rock is already aware of and has drawn conclusions about.  What is the message and is there anything about it that's new?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I think this is one of the least effective ads I've watched:  Used footage, a song about white boys with money playing against incendiary imagery, no acknowledgement that I could see of the millions of folks - black, white, and everyone else - who don't feel especially aligned (or aligned at all) with protestors or white nationalism, but who also have opinions and votes to cast.  Aren't they the ones who need to be reached with a message they can relate to?  What's being said here other than that there are some very bad people, others who are very pissed off, and that now is the time to really worry?  It has been time to worry for over four years and people are worried.  I just don't get what this ad expects to accomplish other than to accentuate existing divisions that I believe anyone who isn't living under a rock is already aware of and has drawn conclusions about.  What is the message and is there anything about it that's new?

I had to watch this again and have a think about it before I replied.  I think it was a pretty good ad.  Maybe it's just because it warms my old liberal heart that we remember we're a melting pot and nobody is free and safe until we are all free and safe.  And I do think  that it's time to worry specifically because there are some very bad people doing, frankly, evil stuff and we have other people pissed off about it.  That makes it a powder keg and we shouldn't be hiding our heads or looking away.  

As far a stoking divisions, I see this as using the Repubs messaging against them.  All they've done for years is stoke divisions and resentment.  They used immigrants, liberals, women, non-church members, etc. as scapegoats for their anger.  It's past time to point out their own less likable elements.

I understand this ad won't appeal to everybody.  I do think that there are people who have tried really hard to live under a rock and not see what has been going on.  But I don't particularly feel that I have to have a tailored message for myself.  I just need to be reminded that I'm part of the human community and when my brother suffers, so do I.  Maybe hearing Kasey Anderson singing that song about the white boys with money making the whole world run will remind us that it's time for all of us to rise up.

The Republicans trade in hate.  You lost your job -- it's somebody's fault.  Your schools aren't good.  It's the fault of the teachers and those immigrants that are in your school system.  Somebody wants to take away your guns!  Guess who that somebody is?

Democrats have their faults but they want opportunities for everyone.  We're for loving our neighbor -- regardless of his nationality at birth or his skin color or his religion.  We want everyone to have health care.  We want our children to be fed and educated.  We don't want children in jails at the borders.

Republicans hate and hate destroys.  Democrats want love and love builds.

(Climbing off my soapbox now.)

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Xan said:

The Republicans trade in hate.  You lost your job -- it's somebody's fault.  Your schools aren't good.  It's the fault of the teachers and those immigrants that are in your school system.  Somebody wants to take away your guns!  Guess who that somebody is?

I believe it's even worse...that the Republicans are, in some cases, causing the failures then turning around and blaming the victims for them.  My personal preference is for ads that very directly point out the hypocrisy, explain what it's costing people, and what the future may hold if it's allowed to continue.  This, IMO, is the way to attract undecided voters.

The ad above seems emotion- vs. fact-based and designed to appeal to people whose opinions are already so polarized that their votes won't be affected.  Therefore, what's the point?  I also see a potential downside in that some undecided voters who are repelled by Republican anger-stoking might not want to be subjected to the same from the Dems.  Trump has to keep reinforcing his base because what else does he have?  I don't think the same is true on the other side, though perhaps there's some intangible benefit in reminding the loyal about what they're being loyal to.

Anyhow, that's just my take on it.  I hope the ads, in whatever form, are ultimately successful.

• Upvote 4

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

42 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Fantastic video, but if they want 5,000 retweets in the first thirty minutes then why did they release it around midnight ET in the US?

• Upvote 3

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

Short and sweet:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Confronting. Tissues needed.

• Love 5

I wouldn’t call it reckless, but malevolent and willful incompetence.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic